PDA

View Full Version : OU re-analyzed for 2006...

goingoneight
8/3/2006, 12:27 AM
Hope this one's okay, Dean.

We're no stranger to the current situation. Athlons, Phil Steele, etc are now seeing just how dumb rating a team is in June. Randy Walker has passed away, Miami has surrendered their first game to FSU (at least on paper they have), USC is still in question (though we've heard nothing of it)...

I present a discussion of OU 2006. The team that was scrambled together at the last minute and could end up beng one of the best coaching jobs in University and CFL history.

OU lost a dynamite guy in Ryan Reynolds. They are already hampered with OL injuries (among other problems). However, that doesn't budge the explosive capablitlies of OU defense. With the return of emotional leader Larry Birdine, the always excitable Rufus Alexander, and a quickly booming talent in Reggie Smith; are we really going to just surrender to anyone this year?

Damn QB had potential, but he was no Jason White, Josh Heupel and in the same respect, Nate Hybl.

Analyze OUr offense now. Can the running game really beat the passing game these days? No it cannot. Fact: Ball flys faster than it runs, though AD makes it seem different at times. We will eventually establish the passing game, as it is a big part of the Stoops system. Can we score 77 points in a game, most likely not. Can a QB who makes smart decisions work defenses apart? Absolutlely. Whoever that may be, it will take time. I would be willing to place serious cash though, that OUr game is a little more running than passing for the entirity of 2006. With AD, and a violently pushed into combat-DeMarco Murray, the tricksy stuff may be OUr key to any or all success in 2006. Analyze Alabama 2005. All X's no O's. Can we mimmick them? Not that we want to, we're kinda backed into a corner right now...

Let's re-analyze this...

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 12:28 AM
i'm glad i'm not taking the trip to autzen

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 12:29 AM
I don't know. Hopefully Halzle wont throw picks and just be good enough and not great

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 12:31 AM
I don't know. Hopefully Halzle wont throw picks and just be good enough and not great
like, as in, pulling a hybl?

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 12:33 AM
like, as in, pulling a hybl?

Well Hybl won Rose bowl MVP so he wasnt all that bad.

He just acted like his shoes were on fire when he was throwing

Miko
8/3/2006, 12:34 AM

If we're hoping, I'd rather hope for great. ;)

OUstud
8/3/2006, 12:34 AM
I still think we need to go with PT for the first few games, don't shuffle him in and out, and if he sucks and we get lambasted by Mirror OU, well, Halzle time.

Snrfn4ever08
8/3/2006, 12:35 AM
Well Hybl won Rose bowl MVP so he wasnt all that bad.

He just acted like his shoes were on fire when he was throwing
"The Idiot" won offensive Holiday Bowl MVP, but does that really mean anything? I think Hybl had his stupid moments too, they just weren't as stupid

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 12:35 AM
If we're hoping, I'd rather hope for great. ;)
Spek

Fraggle145
8/3/2006, 01:04 AM
I am curious to how far we will fall in the preseason polls now... I am thinking tops we crack 15. I still think we can make top 5 with our D. Maybe that is just my endless optimism when it comes to the sooners.

BASSooner
8/3/2006, 01:28 AM
I am curious to how far we will fall in the preseason polls now... I am thinking tops we crack 15. I still think we can make top 5 with our D. Maybe that is just my endless optimism when it comes to the sooners.
who cares where we fall in the pre-season polls? i care about what stoops will say about OUr team this season

Fraggle145
8/3/2006, 01:34 AM
who cares where we fall in the pre-season polls? i care about what stoops will say about OUr team this season

I do also... just fishing around for something else to think about besides loathing "The Idiot." and I thought the point of the thread was to reanalyze where we stand so I was saying i think we could start between 15-20 and work up if things come together.

King Crimson
8/3/2006, 01:41 AM
i think we'll see more of Allan Patrick than DeMarco Murray.

SicEmBaylor
8/3/2006, 01:46 AM
I never understood at the time and still do not understand to this day why the hell Hybl got the wrap that he got from Sooners. Is it because he had to follow Heupel and anyone who didn't perform with equitable talent was destined to be criticized?

I thought Hybl was one hell of a QB; not one of college football's greats but a very solid performer who lost very few games (what was it..4-5?)

95% of other Division I schools would kill for a Hybl. Granted that OU demands to be a cut above the rest, but I think Hybl deserves a bit more respect than he gets and definitely doesn't deserve to be called an idiot.

yermom
8/3/2006, 01:55 AM
Hybl lost 3 games as a starter

personally, a season like 2002 is sounding really good right now

adequate QB, great RB... if our D doesn't give up huge plays we might have lost to Miami in the Fiesta Bowl that year ;)

i think if the D can give us good field position this year and whoever ends up playing QB doesn't start having Fumbleitis and throwing picks i think we should be OK

King Crimson
8/3/2006, 01:58 AM
the play calling with Nate was incredibly conservative in 2001 (Mangino year 2) and the O-line really bad. watching Vince Carter as a true frosh getting manhandled at Nebraska for example. Nate getting the snot knocked out of him against KSU in Norman....and getting drilled by Marcus Tubbs against UT.

he gets replaced by a small town Oklahoma kid from Tuttle who if he does nothing else his entire career.....came off the bench to beat Texas.

i've heard Nate on the radio many times and i really like the guy. a great Sooner.

SoonerBacker
8/3/2006, 06:21 AM
I have never understood the "hate Nate" crowd! You say he threw too many pics? I remember a QB who was known for protecting the ball. I remember a QB who was constantly criticized for taking sacks rather than throwing the ball into coverage. I also remember a QB who, during his senior year, went into the 4th or 5th game of the season without having thrown a single INT. AND I remember a QB who gave everything he had on every play! Remember the Big XII Championship game against CU when he had thrown blocks on running plays by other players that were key to the ball carrier getting big yards? Remember the gash on his hand from one of those blocks and blood running down his arm? I also remember that about 90% of the time when he DID throw an INT, he was getting his a$$ off the ground after having been pounded by D linemen to chase down the defender and tackle the D Back. I remember a QB who was the MVP in the Cotton Bowl AND the Rose Bowl!

Nate was treated like crap by OU fans throughout his career at OU, but always took it like a man and gave his all to Oklahoma Football. I'll take that kind of QB over a selfish little POS like Bomar ANY day!

BoomerJack
8/3/2006, 06:51 AM
Fraggle145: "I am curious to how far we will fall in the preseason polls now... I am thinking tops we crack 15. I still think we can make top 5 with our D. Maybe that is just my endless optimism when it comes to the sooners."

If Bomar made his exit in Jan. after the Holiday Bowl, I think the mags and pundits would have had us ranked somewhere between 11 - 15. We would have been projected to suffer losses at Oregon and to Texas and perhaps one or two more in conference.

BoomerJack
8/3/2006, 07:08 AM
Several weeks ago, amid all the high hopes for the coming season, I suggested that the offense was gonna be so good, the team wasn't even gonna need a punter after Freeby left.

I now believe that filling that role on the team has risen on the list of Coach Stoops' priority list.

TripleOption14
8/3/2006, 07:20 AM
What is there to reanalyze?? We all know what is gonna happen now. And if you don't know just go back and look at any of the games from last year! The offense spudders all year long, AD tries to take on D's single handed, passing game is goes back to nonexistence, Defense will be on the field wayyyyy to long because of lack of O, Defense worn down by 3rd quarter etc.. etc.. Just get ready for last year all over again and its really that simply.

Fraggle145
8/3/2006, 08:38 AM
95% of other Division I schools would kill for a Hybl. Granted that OU demands to be a cut above the rest, but I think Hybl deserves a bit more respect than he gets and definitely doesn't deserve to be called an idiot.

I hope this wasnt referring to me and the reference to the "The Idiot" because Hybl was NOT who I was talking about. I think we all know who I am talking about. I would love to have Hybl back right now.

Luthor
8/3/2006, 11:29 AM
A top notch D and a talented O with a green QB. You're just about in the same position that we are. The idiot that said Bomar would have become the best QB in OU history is insane. Stoops would have eventually had to cut him loose because the liabilities would have out weighed the talent. Admittedly it would have been much easier had you known this in April instead of August but I don't really believe it would have mattered much anyway.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/3/2006, 11:35 AM
That would be Dean Blevins, who admittedly is a little shady. But nevertheless the point he was making is that if Bomar would have continued to improve at the level he did from day 1 till senior year he would have been the greatest in terms of stats I suppose.

HOLY CRAP 2,000 POSTS !!!!

FlatheadSooner
8/3/2006, 12:39 PM
What is there to reanalyze?? We all know what is gonna happen now. And if you don't know just go back and look at any of the games from last year! The offense spudders all year long, AD tries to take on D's single handed, passing game is goes back to nonexistence, Defense will be on the field wayyyyy to long because of lack of O, Defense worn down by 3rd quarter etc.. etc.. Just get ready for last year all over again and its really that simply.

Honestly, I don't think it's that bad. OUr OL will gel faster than last year and OUr receivers will be ready to rock-n-roll. OUr D will be awesome with much improved D-backs. We have some options with either Paul or Joey at QB. Patrick and Murray will be great backups for AD. And more importantly, OUr attitude going into this season will be one of scared intensity rather than slight cockiness of last year.

TheBigRedMachine
8/3/2006, 12:53 PM

You are forgetting that we have Coach Wilson calling the plays this year. He did some amazing things at NW with average QBs and I think he will be able to workout a gameplan that will give us a chance to win every game. We also have Coach Heupel coaching up whoever the QB ends up being. After having a day to think everything over after the dumbass left, I think we still have a good chance to be very successful year.

:twinkies: