PDA

View Full Version : I don't think Thompson should move to QB

achiro
8/2/2006, 05:49 PM
Joey Halzle is the go to guy for starter. He has longer to be here and honestly probably more college level snaps. I've heard some say that he didn't look good in the spring but hadn't he only been around for a couple of weeks at that point? I'm thinking that learning the schemes and the playbook may take a bit longer than that and that after a whole summer to learn them and more snaps as a starter over the next month could make him a whole different guy.
Bomar was a big ? for me going in anyway so I really don't know that this is that huge of a hit. A hit for sure but not the end of the world. From what I've seen Halzle has a much better head on his shoulders(proven for sure as of today I suppose) and that is a huge factor at QB.

Leave Thompson where he is, MAYBE give him some snaps as a 3rd string QB just in case but let him shine at reciever...thats my vote, since it matters.:D

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 05:50 PM
I'm wichoo.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/2/2006, 05:52 PM
Thompson will move to QB.

Blue
8/2/2006, 05:56 PM
I say let the Freshman Bradford start. Throw him to the wolves just like last year....Or give it to the best in practice.

Cut and paste

If PT can go pro at wideout and does not want to move back, I say he's got all the right in the world to give a collective "F You and the finger" to the coaching staff.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/2/2006, 05:58 PM
Even if he doesn't start you want atleast 3 QBs that can play at the Div 1 level. Right now if anyone gets hurt our backup QB is a Walk-on. Paul Thompson is probably going to be the leader at QB going into the fall.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:08 PM
Losing Bomar and Quinn puts us down 2 starters. Moving Thompson to QB puts us down 3 starters. I won't be surprised to see it happen, but I think the coaches will avoid it at all costs.

Macanudo
8/2/2006, 06:08 PM
The drawback to moving Thompson back is that, in a way, you "lose" another starter. But I'm in the camp that says move him back. He knows the offense far better than the rest of the QBs. Unless that isn't the case, I gotts think he's the choice.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:09 PM
You lose ;)

TheGodfather889
8/2/2006, 06:12 PM
I want Joey Hazle to be the starter because I think he can be good. Thompson is a senior and he floats passes he's better off being at wide receiver.

OUstud
8/2/2006, 06:14 PM
Is anyone else concerned that Halzle went 1-9 as a starter?

Sooner-N-KS
8/2/2006, 06:15 PM
Moving Thompson to QB puts us down 3 starters. I won't be surprised to see it happen, but I think the coaches will avoid it at all costs.

I don't see it that way. We're pretty deep at WR. But that's not an endorsement for PT at QB.

Sooner-N-KS
8/2/2006, 06:17 PM

I am. I've been making that point. He may be good, but has he learned how to win?

HarrisTubbsFan
8/2/2006, 06:19 PM
Losing Bomar and Quinn puts us down 2 starters. Moving Thompson to QB puts us down 3 starters. I won't be surprised to see it happen, but I think the coaches will avoid it at all costs.

But we have depth at WR. Kelly, Johnson, Iglaseas, Higgins, and Chaney aren't chopped liver.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 06:20 PM

How good were Bomar's HS teams? Could be he was just on a ****ty team.

A lot of people's memory's don't reach back to last year's TCU game.

Big John
8/2/2006, 06:24 PM
I would let Paul Thompson take some snaps at quarterback in the practices. I would start Halzle and redshirt Bradford. If Halzle goes down, then put in Thompson, and if then Thompson goes down then put in Bradford, then if he somehow goes down, then put in McEachern.

toast
8/2/2006, 06:24 PM
Maybe, just maybe - if ENA moves back to qb - the perspective of playing wr will have helped him some. I'm going to keep repeating this to myself over and over and over and over...

TMcGee86
8/2/2006, 06:29 PM
Thompson was playing outstanding at WR on my xbox in NCAA07, so I am kinda hoping he stays put. He is a monster out there. :)

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:31 PM

That's one more win than Thompson. ;)

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:34 PM
You all bring up good points about our WR depth. But the fact that Thompson has put himself at the top of that talented list makes me want him to stay there. If he's that good, I hate to see him move.

Look, I was behind Thompson all the way last year as our starting QB. I love the guy. And if he does make the move to QB, I have confidence in him to perform well. I'm just saying that I think with our current situation, the coaches are looking at that as a last resort. I think they'll keep him out there until they lose faith in our other QBs ability to get the job done. The way the coaches were talking about Halzle in the spring makes me think they feel like he'll be able to do it.

toast
8/2/2006, 06:35 PM
On the other side, Thompson will be easier for BBS to pronounce than Halzle.

Big Red Ron
8/2/2006, 06:36 PM
Thompson Will be the starting QB. Watch.

mrowl
8/2/2006, 06:39 PM

were you concerned with Bomars record in highschool? it was almost as bad as that.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/2/2006, 06:44 PM
I say leave Thompson at WR. What is awesome is that after the way Paul handles the whole Jason White thing shows that he is a team player and will give a great effort and do what ever the staff wants him to do. If we could have put the decision making, leadership, and maturity of Thompson in Bomar, we would have had a perfect qb.

Bubba Duck
8/2/2006, 06:49 PM
Don't you guy's have to go with Thompson if you want to win the Big12? There is no way you can go through another season of breaking in a frosh QB is there?

Your defense is still top notch and will play well again vs the Ducks. You also have so much talent around the QB that he does not have to play great for the sooners to win. But, it will be very hard for a frosh QB, in only his third game, to play well at Autzen. Audibles are non existant at times for the opposing team, and how well will a frosh QB handle silent snap counts?
Even USC admitted to having problems with the noise at Autzen last year, and they were a veteran team, with an NFL QB.

Just currious. I expect stoops to go with someone who already knows the offense with only a month until the first game.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:51 PM
Our backup is a Soph transfer who was here for spring.

Sooner-N-KS
8/2/2006, 06:51 PM
That's one more win than Thompson. ;)

Not true. He's spent years on this winning team, and he closed winning games for White. On the other hand, I remember him closing the Kansas State debacle as well.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:56 PM
"as a starter" being the key phrase in that discussion.

Bubba Duck
8/2/2006, 06:59 PM
Thompson Will be the starting QB. Watch.

Big Red Ron!
Bummer to hear about your QB, thought you guy's had a chance to run the table this year. Not that all is lost, but it can't help.
What is your opinion of Thompson? I wonder if he can muster up some of that "Senior Stealth" that veterans sometimes get. Knowing he does not have to play great for OU to win he might play within himself and just give OU a good chance to win.
When he did start, OU had to break in a new QB, and a new set of WR's. He may be helped out alot this year with WR's that can help him out?
Is he more mobile than Bomar was?

Big Red Ron
8/2/2006, 07:01 PM
Paul only started one game, one game. He was yanked by our brilliant play caller to break in the guy with more eligibilty bur Thompson beat Bomar out for the job in the spring and fall.

Thompson will be a really good QB with the Wilson system.

FaninAma
8/2/2006, 07:01 PM
Thompson will move to QB.

No he won't. First of all that would be very unfair to Thompson. Secondly, it would be goofy to play essentially a first year starter at QB this year then turn around and break in another new starter next year.

Big Red Ron
8/2/2006, 07:03 PM
Big Red Ron!
Bummer to hear about your QB, thought you guy's had a chance to run the table this year. Not that all is lost, but it can't help.
What is your opinion of Thompson? I wonder if he can muster up some of that "Senior Stealth" that veterans sometimes get. Knowing he does not have to play great for OU to win he might play within himself and just give OU a good chance to win.
When he did start, OU had to break in a new QB, and a new set of WR's. He may be helped out alot this year with WR's that can help him out?
Is he more mobile than Bomar was?He is more mobile and is as good of a passer as Bomar. The reason we went to Bomar last year after about half of the first start was the upside factor. We don't have anyone on campus more ready to QB at D1 level than Thompson. He'll be very good after a few games.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/2/2006, 07:04 PM
No he won't. First of all that would be very unfair to Thompson. Secondly, it woul be goofy to have to paly essentially a first year starter at QB then turn around and break in another new starter next year.

Okay so you want 2 scholarship QBs?

Big Red Ron
8/2/2006, 07:05 PM
No he won't. First of all that would be very unfair to Thompson. Secondly, it woul be goofy to have to paly essentially a first year starter at QB then turn around and break in another new starter next year.Fan, Thompson has already moved and will almost certainly be the starter.

Stoops was asked in the spring, if Bomar was hurt for the season who would be QB and he said Thompson. Same deal here.

DeadSolidPerfect
8/2/2006, 07:11 PM
Thompson was the best QB at the start of '05. He's our best QB option at the start of '06. We have to win now and the only way to do that is start Thompson.

Sooner-N-KS
8/2/2006, 07:13 PM
"as a starter" being the key phrase in that discussion.

I understand that. Thompson wasn't the reason OU won those games he cleaned up. My point was he's used to winning. He's used to being around people that find ways to win. No matter how good he is, Halzle is used to being around people that find ways to lose. Has that rubbed off on him?

FaninAma
8/2/2006, 07:14 PM
Fan, Thompson has already moved and will almost certainly be the starter.

Stoops was asked in the spring, if Bomar was hurt for the season who would be QB and he said Thompson. Same deal here.

Then they are essentially depriving Thmpson of his best chance of an NFL career. And I don't understand how a year of playing wide receiver has made Thompson better than he was a year ago when he lost the starting job to an inexperience redshirt freshman.

I just don't see Stoops putting Thompson back at QB.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/2/2006, 07:15 PM
And how does the poster who says the move has already been made know this? Was he in the team meeting today?

Probably...seemingly lots of people where there or know someone there or know someone who talked to campus police ;)

Big Red Ron
8/2/2006, 07:20 PM
Then they are essentially depriving Thmpson of his best chance of an NFL career. And I don't understand how a year of playing wide receiver has made Thompson better than he was a year ago when he lost the starting job to an inexperience redshirt freshman.

I just don't see Stoops putting Thompson back at QB.It's a team sport. Thompson has put the team first in every way he could. He was benched AFTER he beat out Bomar in a head to head battle. Bomar had seemingly more upside (Long made the call not Stoops) but I guess he was wrong.

Now, it's painfully obvious that Paul should have remained the starter after the going pains in the first half of TCU.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/2/2006, 07:22 PM

I just don't see Stoops putting Thompson back at QB.

Just because you play QB in college and are athletic doesn't mean you'll play QB in the NFL. How many snaps did the Arkansas QB(Jones) take at WR in College?

He was a first round pick.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/2/2006, 07:25 PM
The awesome thing is that I know that Thompson will play qb if they ask him too. He has gone above and beyond everything the coaching staff has asked of him while at OU.

Big Red Ron
8/2/2006, 07:25 PM
Antwon Randal El, S. Wallace, Kordel Stewert, etc...

HarrisTubbsFan
8/2/2006, 07:31 PM
Last year about 5 QBs drafted at positions other then QB. None of em played QB in College.

Blue
8/2/2006, 07:32 PM
Antwon Randal El, S. Wallace, Kordel Stewert, etc...

I'm in a time warp. I'm a year behind, back in 2005...And it SUCKS!

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/2/2006, 07:33 PM
Paul will be fine, he will give us everything he has regardless. I hope he doesn't have to. Because after the spring game, I think he has a chance to be a truly special WR. So I hope Haizle wasn't lying when he said he came here to work and compete for the job this fall. I have faith in Heupel's intellect and here's to saying that he will have him ready. IN the spring game you have to realize his biggest problem was the speed....summer will have helped that.

olevetonahill
8/2/2006, 07:42 PM
I have been just reading all these threads and I say Wow just Wow :mad:
Now as far as ENA goes He and the Coaching staff will Do whats Best for the TEAM ;)
I do think that with Josh as QB coach Joey has a good shot and ENA can stay a wide reciever . Its just gonna come down to the wire as to who can get the Job done the best

BASSooner
8/2/2006, 07:50 PM
2 things that make me feel good about Halzle.

1. Stoops talked about him all the time during the spring

2. someone on here, who had watched him play, said that he was the 2nd coming of Heupel...

Big John
8/2/2006, 07:56 PM
Once again, I think Thompson should be played at wide receiver, and still practice at quarterback so that if OU needs him, he will be ready. He shouldn't be completely moved with only one year of eligibility remaining unless he says that he wants to just play quarterback again. Thompson deserves to make the decision.

FaninAma
8/2/2006, 08:07 PM
Just because you play QB in college and are athletic doesn't mean you'll play QB in the NFL. How many snaps did the Arkansas QB(Jones) take at WR in College?

He was a first round pick.

He very well may be drafted if he plays QB but if his future is at receiver I don't see how playing QB this year helps his draft status at WR....especially if he struggles. Now if he tears it up this year and OU has a great year then he may very well have improved his overall draft satus. But that's a very big "if".

HarrisTubbsFan
8/2/2006, 08:12 PM
It's not like Jones tore it up as a QB. He showed he can run at times and he is a better athlete then Paul Thompson. But still Reggie McNeal, Marques Haggens, Robinson of PSU, Brad Smith just off the top of my head were QBs in college. Robinson had experience at reciever but he was atleast a reserve QB his entire career. None of em were first round picks I think but all of are athletes. Paul Thompson is bigger then all of those outside of maybe Smith.

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/2/2006, 08:12 PM
Well I have only heard great things about Paul Thompson on many different levels and don't think the NFL doesn't take those things into account. You think NFL teams don't love hearing a player coming(like Runnels and Dvoracek) in saying that they will play punter if they want them to. They are going to see Paul as a player that can be put in lots of different situations and be successful. Also if all the things I hear about Paul are true, you have to believe good things happen to good people :)