PDA

View Full Version : I'm more worried about filling the hole left by the other player.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 05:11 PM
That's the last place we need to lose people.

Hatfield
8/2/2006, 05:28 PM
agreed

mrowl
8/2/2006, 05:29 PM
agree-ance

Blue
8/2/2006, 05:30 PM
You're more worried about losing a lineman than our starting QB?

non-agree-ance

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 05:39 PM
Yes. With the other players we have on campus, I feel that we are better equipped to fill the void at QB than at OL.

Plus, let's not forget that our offense starts and ends with Peterson. While the starting QB does have an impact on the running game, it's usually not as big an impact as the starting o-linemen.

Tear Down This Wall
8/2/2006, 05:46 PM
Exactly. OL was already thin.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 06:12 PM
QB wasn't thin with a first year JC player and a true freshmen and nobody else behind Bomar?

Okay.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:29 PM
QB wasn't thin with a first year JC player and a true freshmen and nobody else behind Bomar?

Okay.

Maybe you misunderstood. I didn't say I wasn't worried at all about replacing Bomar, I just said I was more worried about replacing Quinn. Sure, QB is thin too, but I think we're better equipped to fill that hole than the one on the line. And although it remains to be seen how the losses will affect Peterson's game, it's more likely that Quinn's loss will have a more negative impact on his performance than Bomar's.

Big John
8/2/2006, 06:33 PM
I disagree because I thought there were 3 guards battling for 2 spots who were Quinn (who probably would have started) with Duke and Brandon Walker playing it out in the fall for the other guard spot. I think now you just start both Duke and Walker. You have Simmons and Barresi to be backups. I thought Sherrone Moore was also practicing at guard in the spring so he may recieve playing time there. But with the quarterbacks, you have Halzle (who's new), Bradford (who's also new), Thompson (who's been practing as a receiver), and McEachern (who's a walk-on). I think the quarterback situation looks much worse in my opinion.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 06:34 PM
Maybe you misunderstood. I didn't say I wasn't worried at all about replacing Bomar, I just said I was more worried about replacing Quinn. Sure, QB is thin too, but I think we're better equipped to fill that hole than the one on the line. And although it remains to be seen how the losses will affect Peterson's game, it's more likely that Quinn's loss will have a more negative impact on his performance than Bomar's.

Maybe you did......I was responding to TDTW who said OL was already thin.

And you don't think losing the only QB on the roster with D-1 experience will negatively impact Peterson more so than losing an offensive guard? If it were possible to fit any more defensive players in the box against us, teams would do it with any of our current QBs behind center.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:39 PM
I disagree because I thought there were 3 guards battling for 2 spots who were Quinn (who probably would have started) with Duke and Brandon Walker playing it out in the fall for the other guard spot. I think now you just start both Duke and Walker. You have Simmons and Barresi to be backups. I thought Sherrone Moore was also practicing at guard in the spring so he may recieve playing time there. But with the quarterbacks, you have Halzle (who's new), Bradford (who's also new), Thompson (who's been practing as a receiver), and McEachern (who's a walk-on). I think the quarterback situation looks much worse in my opinion.

I thought Quinn had separated himself from the others. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to that situation though so I could be wrong. If I've misunderstood the talent at guard, then I feel better about it.

Sherrone Moore and Brian Simmons are the two backups at guard (I don't see Walker anywhere on the 2-deep). I haven't heard a lot about them and it worries me that we might have to start moving people around.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 06:40 PM
I think Simmons is out with a knee injury.

Big John
8/2/2006, 06:42 PM

In my opinion, the offensive line as a group are much more important than any other position on offensive such as receivers, quarterbacks, running backs, because they greatly affect both the run and pass game. But, I think the starting quarterback is much more important than a single offensive guard. OU looks o.k. talent-wise at the guard spots with Duke, Walker, maybe Moore, Barresi, and now Simmons. You also have to take into concern that the quarterbacks accuracy and leadership greatly effects the passing game. If Halzle, or whoever's at quarterback can't hit his targets, then it allows the defense to focus on Peterson, making him less effective. Bad snaps, handoffs, and audibles are also a big deal.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 06:46 PM
You also have to take into concern that the quarterbacks accuracy and leadership greatly effects the passing game. If Halzle, or whoever's at quarterback can't hit his targets, then it allows the defense to focus on Peterson, making him less effective. Bad snaps, handoffs, and audibles are also a big done.

For visual reference, please review last year's TCU game.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:46 PM
And you don't think losing the only QB on the roster with D-1 experience will negatively impact Peterson more so than losing an offensive guard? If it were possible to fit any more defensive players in the box against us, teams would do it with any of our current QBs behind center.

Sure, they'll be loading the box against us until one of our QBs proves himself, but I'm just saying that with what I know about the guys we have on campus, I have more faith in our backup QBs than in our backup guards. That could be just because I don't know much about our backup guards. I hope they are able to step in without us missing a beat, but I fear that with our reliance on the run, our offense could be more negatively affected by a big talent drop at G than at QB.

If people start loading up against the run, it makes it easier for an average quarterback to eat them up with passes. But only if the offensive line can hold off the rush. Plus, if your O-line is weak, they don't HAVE to load the box to stop the run and it makes it that much tougher for our QBs to succeed.

That's why I don't like losing O-linemen.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 06:49 PM
If Halzle, or whoever's at quarterback can't hit his targets, then it allows the defense to focus on Peterson, making him less effective. Bad snaps, handoffs, and audibles are also a big done.

No doubt. You're exactly right. All I'm saying is that based on what I know (and I don't have any insider information or anything) I have more faith in Halzle's ability to hit his targets than I do in our backup o-linemen's ability to hold off the defense. I could be totally wrong, but it seems to me that Halzle showed some signs of life in the spring, at times even outplaying Bomar. I don't remember seeing the same thing from our o-linemen.