PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question.

SOONER44EVER
8/2/2006, 04:22 PM
I know its against the rules for a player to be paid without working. Is there a limit on how much he can make if he does work? If he did work 5 hours a week thats about $450 per hour. Maybe he was just really good at his job.:confused:

setem
8/2/2006, 04:31 PM
He made 18,000 a year?

Is 450 an hour right?

I was thinking maybe it was more like 69 or 70 per hour.

SOONER44EVER
8/2/2006, 04:34 PM
He made 18,000 a year?

Is 450 an hour right?

I was thinking maybe it was more like 69 or 70 per hour.
He can't work year round. Whatever it is its a lot per hour. I just wonder if the NCAA has a set rate a player can make?

yermom
8/2/2006, 04:35 PM
it's probably more like what anyone else would make in the same job

Newbomb Turk
8/2/2006, 04:40 PM
Whatever it is its a lot per hour.

I think that about sums it up.

royalfan5
8/2/2006, 04:43 PM
I think at one point there was a cap on outside earning, something like 2500 to 3000 dollars. One thing to remember, D-1 athletes do get some cash from their scholarships, just like your average student does through financial aid, for other expenses,(supplies, board, etc)

setem
8/2/2006, 04:44 PM
If he is paid a commission $80 $90 or even a $100 per hour might be reasonable. It is a car dealership for **** sake. He makes 1 or 2 sales and there is his money for the week.

cowboys70
8/2/2006, 04:58 PM
What was he doing at BRSAI? Selling new/used cars? Admininstrative stuff.. Let me rephrase that.. what was he SUPPOSED to be doing there? I mean, if you sell a boat load of cars and earn commission, you should be able to make $18K. Then again, I am sure OU investigated thoroughly.

RedstickSooner
8/2/2006, 05:26 PM
He couldn't have worked in a sales role - anything comission based would raise immediate red flags with the NCAA, I'm sure.

Otherwise, all the star athletes would get gigs like that -- who could say no to a new car from the star QB? You telling me you could turn AD down if he met you, talked to you, pitched you on the sale?

We're about to have thousands of grown men fight each other to get a signature from the guy (although, perhaps smaller thousands than would've shown up *last* Friday), how many of 'em might need a car anyhow -- and would jump at the chance to make that purchase from a favorite football star?

If it ain't a rules violation, it should be -- and those kids are morons for not working the angle. They could make a fortune.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/2/2006, 05:29 PM
The rule, if I remember correctly, is they can't be paid more than what other people in the same position are getting paid or something to that extent...

cowboys70
8/2/2006, 05:36 PM
Otherwise, all the star athletes would get gigs like that -- who could say no to a new car from the star QB? You telling me you could turn AD down if he met you, talked to you, pitched you on the sale?

Good point.. a new car and an autograph from AD to boot.. I would be all over that.

1991SOONER
8/2/2006, 06:43 PM
I get paid lots of money and don't do much. Don't alot of other people???

Whats wrong with that:confused:

soonerlaw
8/2/2006, 10:46 PM
I get paid lots of money and don't do much. Don't alot of other people???

Whats wrong with that:confused:

You must be in management!:D