PDA

View Full Version : Everybody here take it for granted that taking money is bad

whOUelse
8/2/2006, 04:20 PM
This whole "rule" of players not being able to get money, when they are the one who do the actual playing. Hell, even ESPN/Sports Illustrated make money out of them. So, why can't the players make some dough?

Time to scrap that rule off NCAA(it is making money, too) or scrap the NCAA itself! :pop:

Rhino
8/2/2006, 04:23 PM
Let me be the first to say:

BUUUUUUULLLLLLL ****!

They knew it was wrong when they did it. They didn't just take money. They claimed they were working when they weren't and getting paid for it. That's some mafia ****. That won't even fly in the real world.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
8/2/2006, 04:27 PM
Let me be the first to say:

BUUUUUUULLLLLLL ****!

They knew it was wrong when they did it. They didn't just take money. They claimed they were working when they weren't and getting paid for it. That's some mafia ****. That won't even fly in the real world.

Couldn't put it any better myself.

whOUelse
8/2/2006, 04:28 PM
Yeah, it is "wrong" because the rule makes it wrong. I say the rule is wrong! Let me present my reasoning.

Supposedly college football is amateur. So, players are supposedly kept payless, while EVERYBODY ELSE makes money off of them. Starting from the schools and coaches who make millions, right down to the MEDIA itself who sell posters and TV ads. And it isn't so amateur when they professionally plan and orchestrate the TV lineup and advertisers. This whole "rule" is fked up, if you ask me.

boomersooner82
8/2/2006, 04:29 PM
Paying players...you make a good point...

wait...

...no you don't

JudgeChamber
8/2/2006, 04:31 PM
Paying players...you make a good point...

wait...

...no you don't

lol

LilSooner
8/2/2006, 04:36 PM
They are getting "paid". They get a free freaking ride and a chance to show the professional league that they should be PAID. Suck it up.

GrapevineSooner
8/2/2006, 04:39 PM
I wish my employer paid me for work I wasn't doing.

Well actually, I don't. I'd rather earn my money.

whOUelse
8/2/2006, 04:43 PM
They are getting "paid". They get a free freaking ride and a chance to show the professional league that they should be PAID. Suck it up.

No, they aren't. How many actually get to play for the professional league? Probably far less than those who END their "careers"(no-pay careers... sometimes with permanent injuries for bonus. Nice . http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

yermom
8/2/2006, 04:44 PM
I wish my employer paid me for work I wasn't doing.

Well actually, I don't. I'd rather earn my money.

that's not what he's saying

he's saying that the whole reason they are getting paid for a job they aren't doing is because they are not getting paid for what they do in the first place

Bob Stoops, OU, Nike, EA Sports all make money off of AD, but he can't take any money for playing

Ike
8/2/2006, 04:48 PM
ya know, the issue of paying college players has been discussed ad nauseum before, and to be honest, a good case can be made for doing so......

HOWEVER, if and when that ever happens, players will be paid by the University...and maybe even get endorsement deals...but nobody's gonna pay them for hours they never worked.

Whatever your thoughts on the overall issue of whether college players deserve to be paid any more than the free edumacation they already get, its still a fact that Rhett Bomar was an idiot and a tool, and obviously either didn't learn his readin, writin, and 'rithmatic, or he was just plain arrogant to think that he wouldn't get caught.

TopDawg
8/2/2006, 04:49 PM
The rule may be stupid, but it's still a rule. And while an athlete's schedule is certainly very taxing, it's not like they aren't getting ANY benefits. I've sent off more student loan payments in my 6 years since graduation than the entire starting lineup will send in their lifetimes.

leavingthezoo
8/2/2006, 04:50 PM
This whole "rule" of players not being able to get money, when they are the one who do the actual playing. Hell, even ESPN/Sports Illustrated make money out of them. So, why can't the players make some dough?

Time to scrap that rule off NCAA(it is making money, too) or scrap the NCAA itself! :pop:

who's going to pay band geeks (beyond scholarships), lamb wranglers (or whatever they do at OSU), and the other students who should get paid for performing well in their classes with no monetary compensation.

maybe you didn't get the memo, but it is a priviledge to play at the collegiate level, not a requirement. and you know why espn/sports illustrated, etc makes money off of 'em...? because of the fans. so where's my compensation? :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
8/2/2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah, it is "wrong" because the rule makes it wrong. I say the rule is wrong! Let me present my reasoning.

Supposedly college football is amateur. So, players are supposedly kept payless, while EVERYBODY ELSE makes money off of them. Starting from the schools and coaches who make millions, right down to the MEDIA itself who sell posters and TV ads. And it isn't so amateur when they professionally plan and orchestrate the TV lineup and advertisers. This whole "rule" is fked up, if you ask me.

As a former scholarship player (at a smaller school) I can tell you that getting a scholarship is getting paid. Players getting their education paid for to play college sports ARE NOT being exploited. That is just a lame effort to excuse those who break the rules. Unless you are ready to start paying players in non-revenue sports like track, volleyball ,golf, etc. No NCAA rule or lack of one makes it right for Bomar to get paid $75/hr for work he isn't doing and remain eligible to play football. Unless Jerry Bomar used to be named Marinovich then nobody was forcing Rhett to play college football and therefore playing by the rules.

cowboys70
8/2/2006, 04:55 PM
They are charging $70 a seat to see OU play MTSU (I remember just 5 or6 years ago, student season tickets were way less than that). Somebody is making money somewhere. Regardless, getting paid for work not done is wrong.. just ask the Enron guys.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
8/2/2006, 05:00 PM
They are charging $70 a seat to see OU play MTSU (I remember just 5 or6 years ago, student season tickets were way less than that). Somebody is making money somewhere. Regardless, getting paid for work not done is wrong.. just ask the Enron guys.

If the tickets are sold out and people are still looking for them then $70 may not be enough. (Exception for students of course).

None of this has anything to do with being paid to not do work.

Rhino
8/2/2006, 05:04 PM
None of this has anything to do with being paid to not do work. *DING*

LilSooner
8/2/2006, 07:24 PM
No, they aren't. How many actually get to play for the professional league? Probably far less than those who END their "careers"(no-pay careers... sometimes with permanent injuries for bonus. Nice . http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

They are still getting their EDUCATION which the last time I looked was typically the number 1 reason to go to college.

Go back and read my post. I obviously didn't say that EVERY player to ever play a college sport get to go the big league. I said they get a chance to show that they can. If they can the get paid.

Blue
8/2/2006, 07:40 PM
They are still getting their EDUCATION which the last time I looked was typically the number 1 reason to go to college.

They go get this "Education" because they're forced to. There's no minor league for these guys to jump to and they're not allowed to enter the NFL straight from High School.

What Bomar did was wrong, but NCAA college football players should get paid.

Rusher
8/2/2006, 07:51 PM

If that's the case, then everybody who plays college football should be drafted to NFL. But the reality differs, my friend.

Rusher
8/2/2006, 07:53 PM
And as much as I hate Bomar for breaking the rules, the rules is too silly to begin with. Trust me, student athletes have it really tough. At least their effort should be compensated a bit.

royalfan5
8/2/2006, 07:53 PM
If that's the case, then everybody who plays college football should be drafted to NFL. But the reality differs, my friend.
They also don't have any student loans to deal with either, I don't think that's a bad consolation prize, as well as the oppurtunties that go with getting to compete at the highest colliegate level.

Rusher
8/2/2006, 07:56 PM
I do agree on that (them not paying for tuition and free housing), but my roommate is a TA and he's getting similar treatment. Plus, he doesn't need to handle massive publicity and the pressure to bring their teams to national championship. They still deserve some compensation.

sanantoniosooner
8/2/2006, 07:56 PM
Has anyone seen my sympathy for Bomar.........

I know it's somewhere around here.........

Blue
8/2/2006, 07:58 PM
Some people just shouldn't be in college. If some dude who made a 10 on his ACT, but can run the football graduates high school...he should get the oppurtunity to go to the NFL. If then he's forced to go to college because that's his only option, he should get paid.

royalfan5
8/2/2006, 08:00 PM
I do agree on that (them not paying for tuition and free housing), but my roommate is a TA and he's getting similar treatment. Plus, he doesn't need to handle massive publicity and the pressure to bring their teams to national championship. They still deserve some compensation.
No one is forcing them to be D-1 athletes, they knew the deal getting in. I'm also betting that the social benefits of being on OU football player makes up for a lot of the hardships. Also if you start compensating football players, you will have to do it for all sports. That will stretch the revenues of the athletic departments around the nation much thinner, and likely cost a lot of atheletes the chance to compete.

SoonerGM
8/2/2006, 08:00 PM
These guys are getting a free education. That crap is expensive. Some people spend 20 years just paying back thier student loans. I guess the guys saying that athletes are not getting paid do not have any student loans...

Not to mention the popularity. Hell in Oklahoma, if you play well at OU and do not make it to the pros, you will still forever be a legend in Oklahoma... how many kids in our state dream of this. I am sorry, but its really not that bad of a gig.

Blue
8/2/2006, 08:01 PM
No one is forcing them to be D-1 athletes, they knew the deal getting in. I'm also betting that the social benefits of being on OU football player makes up for a lot of the hardships. Also if you start compensating football players, you will have to do it for all sports. That will stretch the revenues of the athletic departments around the nation much thinner, and likely cost a lot of atheletes the chance to compete.

Every other sports amateurs have other options besides college.

Blue
8/2/2006, 08:03 PM
Not to mention the popularity. Hell in Oklahoma, if you play well at OU and do not make it to the pros, you will still forever be a legend in Oklahoma... how many kids in our state dream of this. I am sorry, but its really not that bad of a gig.

Wow! An Oklahoma legend. What does that mean? A free Cherry Lime-ade at Sonic for life?

Rhino
8/2/2006, 08:04 PM
They go get this "Education" because they're forced to. There's no minor league for these guys to jump to and they're not allowed to enter the NFL straight from High School.

What Bomar did was wrong, but NCAA college football players should get paid. No one is forcing them to do anything.

They can go play Arena League like Michael Hawkins did. He still made it to the NFL.

They're given a fantastic opportunity to get a free education, learn the game of football and take part in one of the best weight training programs in the nation. I'm all for giving them more in terms of a stipend. As far as them getting paid cash money, not a chance.

Bottom line is this: Bomar & Quinn knowingly broke the rules and, thus, screwed the pooch on their futures. No NCAA rule forced either of them to do this.

royalfan5
8/2/2006, 08:04 PM
Every other sports amateurs have other options besides college.
Complain to the NFL for not starting a true minor league then. The moral of my post is that there is no way that paying football players is ever going to pass legal muster, whether they deserve it or not. There would be so many lawsuits off that, that lid could afford to buy a whole yankee candle store.

royalfan5
8/2/2006, 08:06 PM
Wow! An Oklahoma legend. What does that mean? A free Cherry Lime-ade at Sonic for life?
I bet you could score a lot of mid-grade tail too, as well as get good career in insurance or auto sales.

Blue
8/2/2006, 08:06 PM
No one is forcing them to do anything.

They can go play Arena League like Michael Hawkins did. He still made it to the NFL.

They're given a fantastic opportunity to get a free education, learn the game of football and take part in one of the best weight training programs in the nation. I'm all for giving them more in terms of a stipend. As far as them getting paid cash money, not a chance.

Bottom line is this: Bomar & Quinn knowingly broke the rules and, thus, screwed the pooch on their futures. No NCAA rule forced either of them to do this.

I don't disagree on any of that. Makes sense.

Rusher
8/2/2006, 08:10 PM
Hey, don't talk s**t about Cherry Lime-ade!! :D

Blue
8/2/2006, 08:11 PM
Hey, don't talk s**t about Cherry Lime-ade!! :D

I know. It's good stuff. :D

AlbqSooner
8/2/2006, 08:14 PM
As an attorney I did a substantial amount of criminal defense over the years. The defenses used, either by me or by attorneys I observed, were widely varied and in some instances quite creative.

Perhaps the worst defense I can think of is, "Hey that is a stupid law. If life were fair my client would have been entitled to the plasma TV he took."

The rules may or may not be fair, I choose not to get involved in that debate. Fact is, the rules are what they are, not necessarily what they ought to be. If you know the rule and violate it, you are wrong and there will most likely be consequences.

Unfair?
Fair is where you take your pigs in the fall.

Cam
8/2/2006, 08:27 PM
The rules may or may not be fair, I choose not to get involved in that debate. Fact is, the rules are what they are, not necessarily what they ought to be. If you know the rule and violate it, you are wrong and there will most likely be consequences.
Can't get much clearer than this.

Macanudo
8/2/2006, 08:38 PM

Would you be saying this if it had been a Horn or Cowboy gettting nailed?

Gandalf_The_Grey
8/2/2006, 08:42 PM
The Truth Is I would like to see ALL athletes gets like some type of monthly amount of money...nothing huge just like 100 200$ Because between going to classes all day...working out..practices...they don't have the time to work like most college students. It's like Eugene Edgerson(Arizona BB forward) said a few years ago...it sucks when all of their friends have money to go to a movie but they don't have the money or the ability to get a decent job.

sanantoniosooner
8/2/2006, 08:45 PM
I'd like to see teachers get paid more.

They should steal until it happens.

C&CDean
8/2/2006, 08:48 PM

Do not drag the filth from down south into this internal fray.

And like so many have very much more eloquently than me stated: BREAK THE ****ING RULES, PAY THE ****ING PRICE. Simple concept.

Cam
8/2/2006, 09:03 PM
Ain't accountability a bitch?

jkjsooner
8/2/2006, 10:40 PM

So what is the appropriate payment? Do we just open it up so that players go to the biggest bidder? Should the school (or boosters) with the most money almost guarantee themselves a top 5 finish?

Or lets say you want a stipend. What about the players who want more than the stipend?

Where are the universities supposed to get this money to pay a stipend? Do you realize that a lot of major athletic departments are already in the red - including OU and Michigan just a few years ago? They have to make tons of money in football to cover their budgets for other sports (see Title IX.)

Speaking of Title IX, if we pay the boys we'll have to pay the girls too.

Blue
8/2/2006, 10:48 PM
Speaking of Title IX, if we pay the boys we'll have to pay the girls too.

**** the girls.

SoonerBacker
8/2/2006, 10:52 PM
I'd like to see teachers get paid more.

They should steal until it happens.

Hey! I'm a teacher and hadn't thought of that! Maybe next summer I'll just go see what I can find around the neighborhood.

Really though, it's rediculous totry to make excuses for these 2 players. They knew the rules and chose to break them. They got caught. Now, they're paying the consequences. To try to excuse their actions is like dealing with those teachers who complain about low pay! I knew it was a low paying job when I CHOSE to major in education. I made the decision to go for it anyway. There ARE other benefits to what you do than the almighty $$$$.

Lastly, the issue isn't whether they should be able to work or receive compensation for their efforts. It's whether they should receive pay for NOTHING! These idiots were getting a salary for work they did not do!

Miko
8/2/2006, 10:54 PM
Has anyone seen my sympathy for Bomar.........

I know it's somewhere around here.........

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sanantoniosooner again.
:cool:

Miko
8/2/2006, 11:01 PM
You do not have to like the National Communists Against Athletes or their rules. But if you're going to quarterback a D1 football team, you have to obey those rules.

This is not Rosa Parks violating an unjust law. This is a couple of kids getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

And they knowingly ran the risk of bringing the NCAA down with both feet onto the whole program.

whOUelse
8/3/2006, 12:11 AM
As an attorney I did a substantial amount of criminal defense over the years. The defenses used, either by me or by attorneys I observed, were widely varied and in some instances quite creative.

Perhaps the worst defense I can think of is, "Hey that is a stupid law. If life were fair my client would have been entitled to the plasma TV he took."

Unfair?
Fair is where you take your pigs in the fall.

Take your argument to court, not a football message board. I challange the rule made by a BUSINESS entity called NCAA. They sprung out to leech off the sports... and they make the rule and that RULE is bad. imo

ps - I am not defending Bomar. He is obviously out of character and too shallow for OU and potentially harm the program itself. Even if the rule of leeching off players who put their and 'careers' on the line, and eventhough NCAA shouldn't even exist, Bomar is wrong and is rightly kicked out of the team.

whOUelse
8/3/2006, 12:19 AM

I have been saying this before this fiasco. And I think Stoops had no choice but to dismiss Bomar & co. I am just a little ticked off about this NCAA crap.

If this had been Horn or Cowboy, I would be laughing my a$$ off and glee on their misery(but I would still be hating that NCAA rule).