PDA

View Full Version : Okay, let's look at the OL and QB situation for 2006?

Mac94
8/2/2006, 03:05 PM
Well, the shoe has dropped and the college football world is stunned right now. But, the season is still (only) one month away and september 2nd a group of kids WILL don the Crimson and Cream and play a football game. So, what is the situation.

I'd assume that Paul Thompson will get some looks back at QB, maybe even moved out of WR permanently.

I'd assume the starter is (as of now) Joey Hazlze, and that true freshman Sam Bradford will now not redshirt and get a crash course in the offense.

The QB situation seems fairly easy to figure out right now.

Who, though, looks to be "the 5" on the line? The Sooners line situation seems to have changed so many times over the summer I can't trust the preseason mags to really tell me much.

One mag had a projected depth chart of:

LT - Messner, LG - Robinson, C - Cooper, RG - Simmons, RT - Braxton

another had:

LT - Messner, LG - Robinson, C - Cooper, RG - Quinn, RT - Braxton

with other names (as depth) being S. Moore, C. Schact, B. Barresi

what is the status on these kids (outside of Quinn .... %$&&@$*@&@$%)?

BASSooner
8/2/2006, 03:08 PM
the OL could change at any time. we have about 5 of them coming in. QB wise...would not be surprised to see PT take the starting spot once again. Although, Halzle could come close too

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/2/2006, 03:09 PM
McEachern...

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/2/2006, 03:11 PM
As long as the QB can throw short routes without forcing and throwing int's, I really could care less right now....

John Kochtoston
8/2/2006, 03:20 PM
The loss of Quinn will be much more devastating than the loss of Bomar, IMO. A decent quarterback that doesn't make mistakes can have success, given our receivers and, of course, AD. But no offense will succeed without a line. We were already razor-thin at O-line, and now we're down to four guys with any kind of significant experience. At least one newcomer will have to step up, and that's if we don't have any injuries on the O-line (unlikely).

TripleOption14
8/2/2006, 03:26 PM
The ripple effect to this is CRAZY!!! If PT is the QB he is the QB ONLY for this upcoming year! What happens next year? So are we looking at three 8-4 or 9-3 seasons in a row. One that is for certain is the fact that OU is going to have 3 years in a row of a QB who is green as hell. Last year, this year, and next year.

Next, Poor AD!! He is for SURE gone now! After this year he's not gonna wanna stick around for the same situation again. Get your fill OU fans because after this year AD is a gurantee early entry.

Finally, OU playing for titles is not gonna return until at least what... year after next so that makes it the 08-09 season!!! Think about that...08-09 before any titles can be talked about! Does Bob Stoops hang around for that....???

Sooner Among The Pack
8/2/2006, 03:41 PM
The ripple effect to this is CRAZY!!! If PT is the QB he is the QB ONLY for this upcoming year! What happens next year? So are we looking at three 8-4 or 9-3 seasons in a row. One that is for certain is the fact that OU is going to have 3 years in a row of a QB who is green as hell. Last year, this year, and next year.

Next, Poor AD!! He is for SURE gone now! After this year he's not gonna wanna stick around for the same situation again. Get your fill OU fans because after this year AD is a gurantee early entry.

Finally, OU playing for titles is not gonna return until at least what... year after next so that makes it the 08-09 season!!! Think about that...08-09 before any titles can be talked about! Does Bob Stoops hang around for that....???

You bring up some good points. Hopefully Halzle or Bradford can step up and perform with a faster learning curve than Bomar. Heck, looking at Bomar's lack of common sense, maybe Halzle or Bradford can have a faster learning curve.

I think Stoops sent us all a message today. He clearly made a choice for the better of the football program and the University of Oklahoma in the long run, a job I believe he's going to keep. Quite a bit of loyalty went into that decision, and he could have opted out in much smoother waters before.