PDA

View Full Version : Story of the Year

Jay C. Upchurch
8/2/2006, 02:14 PM
Paul Thompson returns as QB to lead OU to a national title. Now, that would be a great story.

85Sooner
8/2/2006, 02:16 PM
YES IT WOULD

UTsucks
8/2/2006, 02:17 PM
Paul Thompson returns as QB to lead OU to a national title. Now, that would be a great story.

Dude now that's some good sh!t you be smokin! Send some to Dallas :)

BermudaSooner
8/2/2006, 02:21 PM
I like the optimism Jay. There seem to be a few Sooner fans that could use your attitude about now.

mrowl
8/2/2006, 02:25 PM
so you are assuming that Halzle isn't going to win the job?

KABOOKIE
8/2/2006, 02:26 PM
I like the optimism Jay. There seem to be a few Sooner fans that could use your attitude about now.

Yeah, um like when Paul Thompson can hit a wide open barn then I'll be convinced.... :eek:

bstuff1979
8/2/2006, 02:27 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/wbennettberry/IMG_4689.jpg

I like it. Thompson seems like a really solid guy and he's already proven he'll do whatever he's asked if it's for the sake of the team. OU's already played a couple of former backups in title games.

Scott D
8/2/2006, 02:30 PM
not gonna happen imo....just means Bradford is more likely to have his redshirt pulled this year, if he gets redshirted at all.

tbl
8/2/2006, 02:33 PM
I'm rooting for Paul... I'm just rooting for a win.

sooneron
Thompson will get some snaps within the next few days, IMO. They HAVE to take a look at what he may be capable of at this point.

Landthief 1972

You had to get 85Sooner started, didn't you? :mad:

sooner94
8/2/2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah, um like when Paul Thompson can hit a wide open barn then I'll be convinced.... :eek:

Yeah, I saw enough of PT at QB in the TCU game last year. I'm not sure he can complete a pass just playing catch.

If he's the best we've got, then hello Blockbuster Bowl!!!!

Blues1
8/2/2006, 03:31 PM
PT can do it....this team will survive this mess....Run - Run - Run...!!!

cjames317
8/2/2006, 03:34 PM

Why not PT? If Stoops calls him into his office and asks him to lead this team, PT would? Knowing what he did for the team last year, the team would do everything possible to make PT a better QB? Since he has first-hand knowledge of receivers' routes, PT would throw more accurately? With the season resting on their shoulders, the defense would shred opposing offenses like favorite chew toys?

I better stop before I get would.

Crimson Kid
8/2/2006, 04:13 PM
PT knows the system better then J.H or bradford, here's his chance to make alot of people forget about bomar...

WolfCop
8/2/2006, 04:34 PM
ring...ring...Hello Barry?...This is Bobby Stoops...ahhh...seems I have a small problem down here at the school...ahhh...and I was wondering if you might could give us a hand. I remember back in '85 you had a kid named Aikman that could throw the ball but...ahhh...he got his leg broke and...ahhh...you had to bring in a new QB named Holieway to run the wishbone. Well...ahhh...we've got this Thompson kid that runs like a deer, Peterson that no one can stop...ahhhh...and a couple of other big time running backs that we moved to the defense.

Now...ahhh...seeing you won several National Championships throwing the ball less than 10 times a season...ahh...do you think you might could give us a hand in bringing the...ahhhh...wishbone back?

JLB
8/2/2006, 04:51 PM
Will Ferrell is sit to star in the hillarious new comedy"Oklahoma Nights-The
Story of Ricky Bomar.

Sooner-N-KS
8/2/2006, 04:53 PM
I would love to see a wishbone come back in this situation. We have the running backs to do it, but we might be hurting for a fullback that could block in the wishbone.

BudSooner
8/2/2006, 04:53 PM
IMO we pulled PT too early last year, yeah Bomar this and Bomar that...blah blah blah.
Yeah he made mistakes...but Pauls a solid player and stays out of trouble, goes to practice and works hard. he's earned it.
Maybe we wouldn't have one but one game last year but we will never know, hell Paul was probably so damned nervous with that game being his first as starter who could blame him...what with the expectations being put on his shoulders.
I'll probably get negged for what I said, but on a day like this who gives a ****, fire away.
It could be worse right about now but it's hard to imagine.

zeke
8/2/2006, 04:58 PM
We will see what sort of HEART this team has. It could, possibly, wake them up.
Playing with a chip on thier shoulders to prove that the team was not just about bomar & A.D.

What happened to "Defense Wins Championships." ?

sooner94
8/2/2006, 08:14 PM
Story of Ricky Bomar.

That is funny. Thanks for some needed laughter.

Blue
8/2/2006, 08:20 PM
What happened to "Defense Wins Championships." ?

[20's voice] It still applies see...but the offense can't succs see... then you get a title see...[/20's voice]

Blue
8/2/2006, 08:22 PM
oh and...Thanks Jay.

badger
8/2/2006, 08:22 PM
the return of ena?
http://www.modellbau-universe.de/uploadfiles/original/peg_54174.jpg
is
http://media.oudaily.com/vimages/shared/vnews/stories/3f8f5ce34ca6d-5-1.jpg

Big Red Ron
8/2/2006, 08:26 PM
IMO we pulled PT too early last year, yeah Bomar this and Bomar that...blah blah blah.
Yeah he made mistakes...but Pauls a solid player and stays out of trouble, goes to practice and works hard. he's earned it.
Maybe we wouldn't have one but one game last year but we will never know, hell Paul was probably so damned nervous with that game being his first as starter who could blame him...what with the expectations being put on his shoulders.
I'll probably get negged for what I said, but on a day like this who gives a ****, fire away.
It could be worse right about now but it's hard to imagine.spek

Jay C. Upchurch
8/3/2006, 01:24 AM
Obviously, there is no such thing as good timing when something like this goes down. Fortunately, Thompson and Halzle will have four weeks to battle for the starting spot and go into the season with plenty of reps under their respective belts.

I'm not saying Thompson is for sure going to be the starting QB ... just saying it would be make for a great story and a great end to his collegiate career.

And I do believe Thompson has what it takes — both mentally and physically — do get the job done.

The next few days should be most interesting.

Egeo
8/3/2006, 02:35 AM
this is the dream come true...
but realistically i think they'll go with hazle because the invested time for pt at wideout

OUMallen
8/3/2006, 08:01 AM
E-N-A! We'll be fine.

RedstickSooner
8/3/2006, 08:23 AM
Paul Thompson already got his "starter job as reward for perserverance" thing. Didn't work out.

Sure, I'd love it if he blossomed into a kick-butt QB, but it isn't like he hasn't had time to learn the system or come into his own. What's more, even if he *did* progress well over the course of the season, we'd be investing those early-season struggles in a QB who doesn't have any more eligibility remaining.

If we're to suffer through growing pains again, at least Halzle will have two years post-growing-pain.

I'd really rather not have to break in a new quarterback three seasons in a row - which is what we'll have to do if we go with Thompson.

SoonerVIC
8/3/2006, 08:50 AM
I don't know if PT will be the answer or not.

I think if we had judged Bomar ONLY on the performance in his first game as a starter, you wouldn't be very confident that he was going to be The Man either.

If PT can improve over the course of the season as much as Bomar did, we'll be OK.

That is, of course, IF, PT is named the starter.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/3/2006, 09:00 AM
Story of Ricky Bomar.

And he does his old W. Bush impersonation, cracking open a beer and talking about frat parties. I can see it.

"Wooooooooooooooooo! Bomar's comin' up so you better get this party started! It was payday today, y'all! If I'm not buyin' I'm cryin'! Woot! Every body put yo hands in the air, and wave 'em like you just don't care."

The_Red_Patriot
8/3/2006, 09:30 AM
could happen.

The team wanted him as the starter last year is what I keep hearing so maybe they can rally around him.

Also, how far are we gonna drop in the preseason polls now. It will be nice to not start off in the top 5 for a change.

85Sooner
8/3/2006, 10:42 AM

I know I would be performing at top form if I were sent in with theknowledge that 1 or 2 screw ups would lead to the pine. It like sending in your prized running back with the words "and don't drop the damn ball".

Whoever it is I will be behind them. We will have an exciting year regardless because this team willl have to show its character.

Oh and I remember the Aikman situation as well. Jamel just went in and did his best. results? Natl Championship #6

Ike
8/3/2006, 10:57 AM
As disappointed as I was with ENA in the TCU game last year, I'm willing to give him the benifit of the doubt that what we saw in that game was rock bottom for him. Maybe it was the pressure of knowing that for the first time in his life, 80,000+ pairs of eyes were all on him, waiting for him to do something other than mop-up duty, and that got to him on that day... I don't know.

What I do know is that whoever manages to land the QB job now is going to have to face that same pressure all over again. Since PT has already gone through it once, I think he's as viable an option as anyone. After a blow like this, if any of our backup QB's can lead OU to a national title, it'll be the story of the year...

Pricetag
8/3/2006, 11:05 AM
Paul Thompson already got his "starter job as reward for perserverance" thing. Didn't work out.

Sure, I'd love it if he blossomed into a kick-butt QB, but it isn't like he hasn't had time to learn the system or come into his own. What's more, even if he *did* progress well over the course of the season, we'd be investing those early-season struggles in a QB who doesn't have any more eligibility remaining.

If we're to suffer through growing pains again, at least Halzle will have two years post-growing-pain.

I'd really rather not have to break in a new quarterback three seasons in a row - which is what we'll have to do if we go with Thompson.
I hear you. I used the same logic last season when I wanted Bomar in there. I loved the idea of a possible four-year starter, and I was afraid of what might happen (transfer) if Bomar had to wait two years to start.

I can admit at this point that Paul Thompson didn't get a fair shot last year. I ignored it at the time because I got what I wanted.

Paul only having one year of eligibilty left does not concern me now. Yeah, Halzle has three years, but let's be honest here--he was not brought in to be the next quarterback at Oklahoma. Chances are, we may be breaking in a new QB next year no matter who plays this year.

We have to play the best man for the job, and if it's Paul, then fire him in there. If he comes trotting out to the huddle on September 2, he'll definitely deserve a raucous ovation from all of us.

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 05:37 PM
bump

sooneron
8/3/2006, 05:44 PM