PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch the "Saddam and the Nazi connection" TV show?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/2/2006, 10:10 AM
My TIVO recorded it, I think it was a History channel show. Amazing. We have France and the U.K. to thank for all the unrest in the middle east (I knew the U.K., not France) and everything being partitioned after WWI. After promising a united Arabia and getting their help to beat the Austro-Hungarian empire, the French and Brits reneged, split up the spoils (for oil - we knew that) and installed puppet governments and monarchies. What I didn't know is that the Arab "intellectuals" mostly French educated and seeking a pan-Arabia went to the Nazi's for help, got some, but the not enough to defeat the Brits. Europe was dumping the Jews into Palestine and by default the U.N. deemed Palestine two separate countries - one Arab, one Jew.

At the same time, the Mufti of Jerusalem al-Husseini was seeking Nazi help and was even deemed "caucasian" by Hitler's doctors so he could be made a General in the SS. He developed a muslim SS squad of Bosnians, chechnicks? (who were quite ruthless) that fought partisans and other allied sympathizers in East Europe. al-Husseini wasn't tried as a war criminal, because the Western leaders didn't want an Arab uproar and wanted continued access to the oil. Al-Husseini eventually went to Egypt and continued his pan-Arabian thoughts and acts there. Yassar Arafat described himself as al-Husseini's "son"...

The intial pan-Arabia thinkers were heavily influenced by the Nazi's and Mein Kampf. Apparently Saddam was a heavy reader of Mein Kampf.

Interesting...

Tear Down This Wall
8/2/2006, 10:20 AM
This is old news. To get a grip of how the Middle East was formed (or misformed), I suggest reading Daniel Yergin's "The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power." It's the best read on the topic. After that, read Anthony Sampson's "Seven Sisters" about the original big seven oil companies that shaped the Middle East and most of the world through a good part of the 20th Century.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/2/2006, 10:23 AM
Some of it was old news, I just wasn't aware of how deep the Nazi thinking was imbedded in the characters we are seeing today and how it shaped their politics.

OklahomaTuba
8/2/2006, 11:45 AM
This is old news. To get a grip of how the Middle East was formed (or misformed), I suggest reading Daniel Yergin's "The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power." It's the best read on the topic. After that, read Anthony Sampson's "Seven Sisters" about the original big seven oil companies that shaped the Middle East and most of the world through a good part of the 20th Century.

Interesting books. I will check them out.

I think this book is probably one of the best out there that I have seen on stuff like the Balfour Declaration, etc.

A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East By David Fromkin

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805068848/104-8929675-8458311?v=glance&n=283155

OklahomaTuba
8/2/2006, 11:52 AM
The intial pan-Arabia thinkers were heavily influenced by the Nazi's and Mein Kampf. Apparently Saddam was a heavy reader of Mein Kampf.

Interesting...

I believe the Baathist movement (Baath party controlled Iraq, Syria and is strong in Jordon, Egypt, etc) is basically the same thing as the German Nazi party.

They even had their own version of the swastika...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d5/Ssnpflag.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Social_Nationalist_Party