PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/2/2006, 09:34 AM
Does anyone else have one? My new vehicle came with a 3 month membership. I love it! I really don't miss commercials at all either.

Howzit
8/2/2006, 09:36 AM
XM rawks. You should also have free access to XMOnline, which, correspondingly, rawks.

What channels are you listening to?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/2/2006, 09:39 AM
8-80s (mostly)
9-90s (some, not a lot)
Top Tracks (?) which includes hits from a bunch of eras
Broadway (some, not a lot)

Still getting used to the stations,

OklahomaTuba
8/2/2006, 09:40 AM
Ethel is my fav. Followed closely by Lucy and XM cafe.

Its getting worse on the commericals though. I bought XM so I didn't have to listen to commericals. Guess those days are LOOOONG gone.

scotplum
8/2/2006, 09:48 AM

Its getting worse on the commericals though. I bought XM so I didn't have to listen to commericals. Guess those days are LOOOONG gone.

Have you thought about Sirius? Their music channels are commercial free. Howard Stern and other talk shows do have commercials but it's only maybe 10 minutes out of the hour.

Speaking of commercials, I get in my car at 6 PM yesterday, the Sports Animal is just coming back from commercial. Al goes on for a minute or two about Big Red Sports and Imports first thing. He then finally starts to talk about Colorado basketball (?) with Rhode and without getting into it much, they take a break at 6:04 PM!! Of course, by the time I make it to where I was going about 5 minutes later, they still are playing commercials. How do they get away with this? There was maybe 2 minutes worth of discussion. I don't understand how a company feels that they can provide basically nothing and expect such high returns. I knew it was bad before I had Sirius but now I realize just how absurd it actually is.

Howzit
8/2/2006, 09:49 AM

Yep.

I bounce around to a few of the staions in the 40's, but mostly The Loft, XM Cafe, and Lucy. The Loft has some great Loft sessions, I think they are replaying Ryan Adams and The Cardinals in the next day or two...

Music Lab can be pretty good, but it can be pretty eclectic, too. Kind of hit and miss for me.

Skysooner
8/2/2006, 09:51 AM
My new vehicle has the same 3-month membership. I am enjoying 7, 8, 9, and the mix stations from 21 to 23.

GDC
8/2/2006, 10:11 AM
They brought Liquid Metal back, so I'm happy with it.

RacerX
8/2/2006, 10:16 AM
Ethel, Lucy, Fred, Bluseville, Jazz, Hear

TheHumanAlphabet
8/2/2006, 10:21 AM
So does XM radio have commercials? I thought it was commercial free. If it does have commercials, then whats the point? and what's the point of paying for it?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/2/2006, 10:31 AM
The Loft is awesome.

the-boulder
8/2/2006, 10:32 AM
So does XM radio have commercials? I thought it was commercial free. If it does have commercials, then whats the point? and what's the point of paying for it?

Music Channels never have commericals. Both XM and Sirius have commercials on the "talk" stations, but most of the time if the talk channel is original content of the sat company, the commerical breaks are much less than free radio. For nationally syndicated shows, they have to have commericals. No way to avoid it if ESPN breaks for free radio it also has to break for sat radio.

Hamhock
8/2/2006, 10:37 AM
What is the KMOD/103.3 equivalent on XM?

GDC
8/2/2006, 10:42 AM
probablt Top Tracks is the closest, but the hair metal one, deep teacks, and sqizz also

Hamhock
8/2/2006, 10:43 AM
I do love me some Hanks...err...Willie's Place.

Step right up
come on in
if you'd like to take the grand tour...

Okla-homey
8/2/2006, 10:43 AM
What is the KMOD/103.3 equivalent on XM?

176 Whoop-Ur-a$$

fesperman58
8/2/2006, 10:44 AM
Music Channels never have commericals. Both XM and Sirius have commercials on the "talk" stations, but most of the time if the talk channel is original content of the sat company, the commerical breaks are much less than free radio. For nationally syndicated shows, they have to have commericals. No way to avoid it if ESPN breaks for free radio it also has to break for sat radio.
Unfortunately that's not true anymore. On some of the music channels on XM they have started playing commercials.

OklahomaTuba
8/2/2006, 11:35 AM
Have you thought about Sirius? Their music channels are commercial free. Howard Stern and other talk shows do have commercials but it's only maybe 10 minutes out of the hour.
I thought about it for my tahoe. the wife just got a brand new TL that had XM hooked up to it, and we had the free 3 month thing as well, so no sirius in that car I guess.

etouffee
8/2/2006, 11:57 AM
i've been a sirius subscriber from the beginning. i got 3 months of XM on my new car last year so i decided to give it a try. i lasted about 1 month and then had an aftermarket sirius reciever installed.

first of all, the built in satellite radio doesn't display nearly as much information or give you options like list views or song memory. (that's not an xm thing, just a built-in vs. aftermarket thing).

also, i just didn't like the xm channel structure and the music selection as much. amongst other things, they played entirely too much obscure music on stations that should've played mostly well known songs. (like the 70s & 80s channels, and the classic rock channels). Also, i listen to blues more than anything, and the music on the XM blues channel just flat sux.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
8/2/2006, 12:20 PM
XM is awesome! The Decades, Mix, and Rock channels are awesome, plus you get ESPNEWS and ESPN radio plus MLB. I haven't listened to Houston radio or my CD player since I got it installed in my car.

Howzit
8/2/2006, 12:24 PM
also, i just didn't like the xm channel structure and the music selection as much. amongst other things, they played entirely too much obscure music on stations that should've played mostly well known songs. (like the 70s & 80s channels, and the classic rock channels). Also, i listen to blues more than anything, and the music on the XM blues channel just flat sux.

I don't know a thing about Sirius, but the obscure music deal is what I like about XM. I have heard so much new music I probably never would have heard of otherwise. Well, between XM anf the WAYLT thread. :D

I am just really tired of "classic rock".

GDC
8/2/2006, 12:27 PM
I like the Elvis channel on Sirius.

etouffee
8/2/2006, 12:31 PM
I don't know a thing about Sirius, but the obscure music deal is what I like about XM. I have heard so much new music I probably never would have heard of otherwise.

I'm all about hearing music i didn't know before (which is why i keep pandora on whenever my computer is on). But sometimes when i'm in the car i just want to hear songs i know and can sing along to. that's why i said channels that should be playing well-known music. When you have a station called "70's Hits", I expect to hear 70's hits, not obscure b-sides. They can play the lesser known stuff on other channels (i think xm has one called "deep tracks" for that; sirius has one called the vault, which is quite good).

Oldnslo
8/2/2006, 08:30 PM
Those of you who have and enjoy satellite radio, enjoy it while you've got it. The business models for both XM and Sirius are teh succ. It takes a whole bunch of $14.99/mo subscribers to pay for a rocket launch AND Howard Stern's half-a-billion pricetag. They'd have been better off giving him the company and taking the contract he signed.

If you DON'T have satellite, and you're not just on fire to get it... wait about a year or so. HD Radio is being rolled out across the country. Digital signal, with TRUE CD sound (both XM and Sirius compress their signals), and there will be all kinds of additional choices and stations.

So, dig it if you've got it. But if you're on the fence, just hang for a bit. It'll be cool.

mrowl
8/2/2006, 08:37 PM
hd radio has to also compress their signal to get it across the phone line to the tower

Boarder
8/2/2006, 09:55 PM
I'm about to switch all mine to Sirius. They make a module for the GM radios that make Sirius work just like the OEM XM.

I'm switching because NASCAR radio is leaving. And, I want Hair Nation and the good Christian rock station. they both have ESPN radio and a Chill Music station, so it's a push there.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
8/2/2006, 09:59 PM
Is there not a Big XII station? Not that I want to listen to it today, but down the road I mighht.

Boarder
8/2/2006, 10:00 PM
Yes. On Sirius.

I've had XM for several years, too. I'm guessing 3-4...I can't remember.

afs
8/2/2006, 10:47 PM
08,09,10,12,25,40,46,47,49,52,54,65,75,121,140,150 ,151,165,166,167

that's my standard run through the channels of XM when i can't find anything to listen to.

tulsaoilerfan
8/3/2006, 12:54 AM
i've been a sirius subscriber from the beginning. i got 3 months of XM on my new car last year so i decided to give it a try. i lasted about 1 month and then had an aftermarket sirius reciever installed.

first of all, the built in satellite radio doesn't display nearly as much information or give you options like list views or song memory. (that's not an xm thing, just a built-in vs. aftermarket thing).

I agree; i have Sirius for my truck, and it is much better than XM; we got the free 3 months when we bought our HHR, and the 80's station on XM plays much more obscure songs than the one on Sirius.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/3/2006, 03:21 AM
XM all the way. The MLB package was the deal-breaker. No regrets ever since. Even though they don't have the Big XII or SEC games, listening to the Big 10, Pac 10 and ACC games can be cool at times. The Florida State play-by-play guy is the guy who's the P.A. announcer for the NCAA football video games. And I like to pick up the Arizona games because of Mike Stoops. Besides, I can listen to the Sooners for free where I live so it's no big deal for me not having Sirius.
Some of my favorite music channels:
The '70s, '80s and '90s, and I'll listen to the '60s at times.
Deep Tracks, Lucy, The Blend, MIX and Flight 26.

Sooner_Bob
8/3/2006, 07:39 AM
Sirius fan here . . . HairNation 23, Revolution 67, Blue Collar Comedy 103, ESPN Radio 120, Octane, The Vault and I can't forget Radio Disney. :D

OUAndy1807
8/3/2006, 10:00 PM
. When you have a station called "70's Hits", I expect to hear 70's hits, not obscure b-sides.

not enough Dancing Queen on XM for etouffee

OCUDad
8/3/2006, 10:19 PM
Got XM for the baseball channels. Love it. I am bummed out by the creeping increase in commercials on music channels, though.