PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Tulsa's A/C

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 09:17 AM
I'm sure I'm the only one, but I found this interesting. I don't think I've ever heard this before.

Keeping Downtown Tulsa's Buildings Cool

When it comes to beating the heat, one company practically controls the thermostat downtown. That's because much of downtown's air conditioning comes from one building and News on 6 reporter Emory Bryan shows us how it works.

It's the largest air conditioner in Tulsa - a unit with 22,000 tons of cooling power. It cools more than half of the office space downtown.

"They like it very cool, and in the winter also they want it hot." Sam Kumar runs Trigen in Tulsa and Ken Adams runs this plant. They don't mind that most people have never heard of them. "Well as long as we do a good job, we stay unknown."

Trigen provides air conditioning and heat for the Tulsa County courthouse - and the Tulsa County jail. City Hall is hooked in - so is the 320 South Boston building, the Kennedy Building, and the Oneok building.

Many of downtown's most notable addresses use Trigen - and the arena will soon. The system uses four massive chilling units to cool water down to 40 degrees. It's really just a giant version of a home air conditioner.

The cold water is pumped through pipes all over downtown, where it's run through air exchangers in the buildings. It's downtown's central heat and air.
At the midway point of the system, all the hot air that comes out of downtown comes back to the midpoint.

Water runs over the whole system, keeping it cool, so it can keep most of downtown Tulsa cool.

In Trigen's control room - there's a thermostat on the wall - but the real controls for downtown are on a computer screen. They can crank down the A/C, even on the hottest day - even if the power goes out. It's how Tulsa's downtown stays cool.

http://www.kotv.com/news/?108619

Hamhock
8/2/2006, 09:23 AM
I like the odds that you are the only one.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 09:25 AM
Who knew one heat and a/c unit controlled all of downtown??!! It's a miracle, I think.

mdklatt
8/2/2006, 09:25 AM
Alternate headline:

Tulsa's Dowtown So Small It Only Needs One Air Conditioner

Even my parents' house has two. :D

Fugue
8/2/2006, 09:26 AM
I like the odds that you are the only one.

:D

hurricane'bone
8/2/2006, 09:27 AM
2nd alternate headline:

Saving money with one air conditioner a bad idea, since the courthouse is always hot as ****

SoonerInKCMO
8/2/2006, 09:38 AM
Who knew one heat and a/c unit controlled all of downtown??!! It's a miracle, I think.

It's like that in a lot of downtowns. Perhaps most.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 10:11 AM
It's like that in a lot of downtowns. Perhaps most.

:les:I HAD NO IDEA!!!

NormanPride
8/2/2006, 10:22 AM
OKC Whiners Agree: Tulsa's Giant Freaking A/C Unit "Not that big a deal"

;)

GDC
8/2/2006, 10:22 AM
Yes, but can you still ice skate down there?

Okla-homey
8/2/2006, 10:41 AM
I would also like to state, for the record, Boston Avenue in beautiful downtown Tulsa is one-way north. Notwithstanding this significant fact, many turistas (probably from OKC up to see the tallest building in OK) frequently are observed trying to go south on Boston Avenue.

BudSooner
8/2/2006, 10:53 AM
Yes, but can you still ice skate down there?

No, but you can pull a Kaptain Robbie and jump one of those kick *** giant pot holes.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9114/7211512zm.gif

KC//CRIMSON
8/2/2006, 11:00 AM
Alternate headline:

Tulsa's Dowtown sucks so bad, they better keep it cool!

Even my parents' are cooler than Downtown Tulsa. :D

:cool:

BigRedJed
8/2/2006, 11:17 AM
OKC Whiners Agree: Tulsa's Giant Freaking A/C Unit "Not that big a deal"

;)
Actually, OKC has the same thing, run by the same company. So in reality, Tulsa's giant freaking A/C unit really is "not that big a deal."

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 11:21 AM
Actually, OKC has the same thing, run by the same company. So in reality, Tulsa's giant freaking A/C unit really is "not that big a deal."

:les: I HAD NO IDEA!!

BigRedJed
8/2/2006, 11:35 AM
Tulsa's has slightly larger capactiy, and has 30 end users versus OKC's 20. So, you've got that.

NormanPride
8/2/2006, 11:36 AM
pwned.

;)

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 11:37 AM
:les: I HAD NO IDEA!!!

OklahomaTuba
8/2/2006, 11:38 AM
This is great. HVAC smack.

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 11:40 AM