PDA

View Full Version : One ton truck ****** *******s

1stTimeCaller
8/2/2006, 08:58 AM
Other than the obvious, what's the difference between the single axle and dually one ton trucks?

What does having four wheels on the back axle do for you that two don't?

Does one ride better loaded and the other rides better unloaded?

Just curious.

TIA

yermom
8/2/2006, 09:07 AM
i just thought it was for traction...

i don't see duallys at all anymore

OUDoc
8/2/2006, 09:08 AM
The tires can only support so much weight, so the dual tires can hold more weight.

Okay, that sounds stupid, but you get my point. For 5th wheels, etc.

Boomer.....
8/2/2006, 09:52 AM
Just like they said, it is for pulling larger and heavier loads.

OUDoc
8/2/2006, 09:55 AM
Just like they said, it is for pulling larger and heavier loads.
That's worded so much better.

GDC
8/2/2006, 10:03 AM
i just thought it was for traction...

i don't see duallys at all anymore

Us hillbillies still have em for pullin stock trailers and such.

yermom
8/2/2006, 10:05 AM
i used to see them all the time in Owasso, not so much here in Norman

1stTimeCaller
8/2/2006, 10:07 AM
I just noticed a single rear wheel 1 ton on the highway this morning and thought, 'there must be some advantage to having the single wheel instead of the dually. I'll ask the SO.'

Mjcpr
8/2/2006, 10:14 AM
I just noticed a single rear wheel 1 ton on the highway this morning and thought, 'there must be some advantage to having the single wheel instead of the dually. I'll ask the SO.'

So it looked like a backwards tricycle?

1stTimeCaller
8/2/2006, 10:17 AM
no, silly. some one ton trucks have a total of four wheels and tires, others known as duallys have a total of 6 wheels and tires.

The one with 4 wheels must have some advantage over the one with 6.

* not including spare wheels and tires and the steering wheel in total counts.*

achiro
8/2/2006, 10:28 AM
It just increases your payload, kind of like this, Increase your payload (http://www.ropex.net/), or not.:texan:

OUDoc
8/2/2006, 10:28 AM
Less air in the tires.
Compressed air speculators are saying that the trouble in the Middle East will lead to records highs in compressed air futures. We're in for a long summer, so conserve until it hurts.

BudSooner
8/2/2006, 11:02 AM
Someone told me that it helps to distribute the load more evenly, and when your pulling a large trailer that its "supposed" to help with dealing with highwinds when pulling things like fifth wheels, etc.

Boarder
8/3/2006, 10:17 AM
Duallys haul the loads easier bacause there isn't as much side to side movement going down the highway. You notice a difference when pulling a trailer. If you never hook onto a trailer, you don't need a dually.

Dually advantages:
Much more stable load hauling
More load capcity in the bed
More load capacity with trailers

Single Wheel advantages:
No extra cost of dually option (usually a couple of thousand)
two less tires to buy when needed
Much more choice in aftermarket wheels
easier to get around in town and park

If you haul serious trailers and do it a lot, you want a dually. If you haul a tractor occasionally or a boat, go with the single wheel.

Once you get used to driving a dually around, it's not a big deal.

StoopTroup
8/3/2006, 07:52 PM
A Dually sits higher and you can see womens legs much better when you pull up to the stop light.

Jerk
8/3/2006, 08:38 PM
A Dually sits higher and you can see womens legs much better when you pull up to the stop light.

It's even better in a semi.