PDA

View Full Version : How do I force Win XP to delete something?

OUDoc
8/1/2006, 08:00 PM
I can't get "InstallRollerRush.exe" to delete. I used to be able to go to DOS and delete it, I can't now. It says it's being used by someone or some program. My 5 year-old must have downloaded it today. I don't see it being used. Apparently, it's a game program. Under properties, it says it has 0 bytes. Why can't I delete it? AVG Antivirus and AdAware don't pick it up on any scans. Any ideas? Thanks. :D

King Crimson
8/1/2006, 08:06 PM
i've seen a thing called killbox recommended on some malware "help" sites....but, i've never used it myself. hijackthis.com i've seen also recommended around, and used before (creates a logfile and parses for danger--). there are many many posters who will respond to this who are vastly more knowledgable than me...

so, whatever.

OUDoc
8/1/2006, 08:08 PM
Yeah. I really don't know if it's some glitch or if it's malware.

Sooner24
8/1/2006, 08:28 PM
Go to safe mode and see if you can delete it.

Cam
8/1/2006, 08:41 PM
Go to safe mode and see if you can delete it.
That's what Iwould try as well. Highjackthis should work too.

JohnnyMack
8/1/2006, 08:43 PM
Pr0n wins again.

Pr0n always wins.

OUDoc
8/1/2006, 08:44 PM
Pr0n wins again.

Pr0n always wins.
My 5 year-old is in trouble then.

Penguin
8/1/2006, 09:03 PM
Go to the dos prompt and type "format c:"

BajaOklahoma
8/1/2006, 09:06 PM
Shockwave.com shows Roller Rush as a downloadable game.
I wonder if you have to delete shockwave to be able to get rid of the last of the game......

OUDoc
8/1/2006, 09:09 PM
Shockwave.com shows Roller Rush as a downloadable game.
I wonder if you have to delete shockwave to be able to get rid of the last of the game......
Don't know. I think I'll try system restore, then re-format the hard drive. ;)

RacerX
8/1/2006, 09:13 PM
autoruns

OUDoc
8/1/2006, 09:16 PM
"System restore".....doesn't. :mad:

autoruns
:confused:

RacerX
8/1/2006, 09:19 PM
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

I'm guessing it must be loading some component on startup. Download autoruns. You don't install it. Just unzip and run it. You get a graphical layout of all the carp that loads at boot. Then you can check stuff off.

There may be other programs that are better, but I've used this one.

autoruns.exe is the one you want to run. autorunsc.exe is the command line version.

OUDoc
8/1/2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks, RacerX. I don't see anything right now, but I'm getting tired. I may revisit this tomorrow.

Thanks eveyone.

yermom
8/1/2006, 09:49 PM
go to the task manager and see if it's listed in the processes

there is something called Process Explorer at Sysinternals that might help with that as well

i wonder how those utilities will change now that M$ has bought them... they were really cool back in the day when i was using them to shut down unwanted processes/ports on my Win2K servers

sanantoniosooner
8/1/2006, 09:57 PM
Doc wont screw around with this anymore until there are patients waiting to be seen.

RacerX
8/1/2006, 10:41 PM
After you get this fixed -

Set up an admin role that's password protected

Set up an account for the kids that isn't admin. Helps prevent the installation of some things.

yermom
8/1/2006, 10:45 PM
that one thing i really like about Mac OS, you aren't really ever logged in as the Admin type user

M$ should add something similar to Vista

soonerboomer93
8/2/2006, 12:23 AM
if it was a download through shockwave, just dumping the cache and deleting downloaded program files should do it

OCUDad
8/2/2006, 12:23 AM
If you're not uncomfortable around regedit, you can go into command mode, run regedit, and look for registry entries that contain the string "InstallRollerRush" and delete them. That ought to delete the file/folder, or at the very least make the icon deletable. Some folks are very nervous around regedit, though. If you're careful to delete only the entries that contain the exact text string, you should be OK.

RacerX
8/2/2006, 06:35 AM
that one thing i really like about Mac OS, you aren't really ever logged in as the Admin type user

Thanks Warren.

8/2/2006, 07:09 AM
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1086/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/pm_step1_hero_060110.jpg

Just sayin'...

OUDoc
8/2/2006, 07:47 AM
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1086/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/pm_step1_hero_060110.jpg

Just sayin'...
I already have a toaster.

Norm In Norman
8/2/2006, 08:08 AM

Ok, the previous time I had XP installed I tried having an admin account and a user account and then I would log on as the user account. I couldn't believe all the problems I had. There are some programs out there that just can't run without admin priviledges. And don't even get me started on the file permission problems I had. I'd create a folder within a shared folder that everyone had access to and I'd have to log in as administrator in order to give my wife access to that folder. I was so tired of it, I gave up and reinstalled normal.

That being said, you should do what RacerX said and have an account for your kid to log on to that has no priviledges.

Okieflyer
8/2/2006, 08:13 AM
http://members.aol.com/maxxdaddy/mw3/homer.gif

Ahhh DOS!!!!

Partial Qualifier
8/2/2006, 09:15 AM
I already have a toaster.

Zing!

RacerX
8/2/2006, 12:44 PM
Ok, the previous time I had XP installed I tried having an admin account and a user account and then I would log on as the user account. I couldn't believe all the problems I had. There are some programs out there that just can't run without admin priviledges. And don't even get me started on the file permission problems I had. I'd create a folder within a shared folder that everyone had access to and I'd have to log in as administrator in order to give my wife access to that folder. I was so tired of it, I gave up and reinstalled normal.

That being said, you should do what RacerX said and have an account for your kid to log on to that has no priviledges.

That's why the bastages invented XP Pro. You can do more with permissions.

OUDoc
8/3/2006, 08:25 AM
If anyone cares (and I know you do), I was suddenly able to delete it. No idea why it took 2 days, but it's gone. Thanks for the ideas.

Howzit
8/3/2006, 08:26 AM
You're welcome.