PDA

View Full Version : do you consider Bomar a "hot head?"

MRNOTDUCKS
8/1/2006, 04:32 PM
I was listening to ESPN radio the other day, and they were talking Big 12 football. This guy (and I don't know who it was) said that Bomar was a liability to the Sooners because he was a hot head on the field. He was saying how he had noticed Bomar would have a bad play and struggle to recover from it mentally. (sounds like me on a golf course!)

I watched OU last year a few times and saw a little of what he was talking about. But the things I saw (like spiking the ball on the goal line) are nothing that maturity wouldn't take care of.

One's temper is another animal all together, so I'm interested in what you guys think of the espn assessment. Is it a worry at all?

<puke>The guy ended up talking about how Graham Harrell for Tech would be the number one qb in the Big 12. </puke>

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/1/2006, 04:33 PM
who cares what he has to say...

sendbaht
8/1/2006, 04:36 PM
I have seen him keep his cool many times thinking I would have not.

The Maestro
8/1/2006, 04:40 PM
I don't mind saying that Bomar's fiery competitive spirit is something I truly enjoy about him. With no offense to Jason cause his record speaks for itself, sometimes I had wished he was a little more emotional. Almost seemed to roll with the punches too much in tough times.

Tom Brady is pretty passionate. So is Peyton Manning. Brett Favre. Things seem to be working out fairly well for those guys.

OUster
8/1/2006, 04:41 PM
Liability is a relative word, but I don't think it really applies here. I think Rhett has the "fire" every coach wants to light under every player's respective a#*. He pounds the ground when he scores. He smacks his head when he does something dumb. But, apart from the spike in the Holiday Bowl, his attitude hasn't cost us anything. I think it shows he is a competitor. Plus, I think that announcer probably ******s with Masengil.

jackietreehorn
8/1/2006, 04:42 PM
this guys comment seemed to have some validity until he started talking about the tech qb (a redshirt freshman i believe) with no game experience whatsoever being the best qb. so no, i wouldn't worry about rhett until he starts trying to run over LB's again.

sooner94
8/1/2006, 04:43 PM
I think a player that has a little fire in him can be a good thing, if it is properly channeled. Good coaching can help with that. For example, let's say the QB coach could say "Listen to me and you might get one of these National Championship rings." ;)

Bomar reminds me of Rex Grossman. Both have great physical ability. Grossman was hardheaded and gave Spurrier fits a lot of the time, took a lot of big hits, and was really tough. He turned out to be a damn good QB.

I think the media makes way too big a deal out of everything. Harrell may have the best passing stats in the Big 12 next year (because of the Tech system), but to say he will be the best QB is laughable, even in a down year for QB's.

Rhino
8/1/2006, 04:50 PM
I'd say most of it fell under 'immaturity' last year. If he does some of the stuff he did last year this year, then we have a problem.

And if he ever does this again, he may never see Stoops NOT yelling in his face:
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1300/rhettspikedj8.jpg

soonersam
8/1/2006, 04:59 PM
I havent heard the phrase "hot head" in a long time... How old is this guy??

Octavian
8/1/2006, 05:02 PM
I think a player that has a little fire in him can be a good thing, if it is properly channeled.

ding ding ding.

Because right after he did this...

the freshman accepted the game's MVP trophy.

He's got the talent in his arms and legs....hopefully his head will follow.

SoonerJedi
8/1/2006, 05:09 PM
It's good to have a few hot heads on the team. It means they are passionate about winning.

Cam
8/1/2006, 08:05 PM
Bingo.

I'd say most of it fell under 'immaturity' last year. If he does some of the stuff he did last year this year, then we have a problem.

And if he ever does this again, he may never see Stoops NOT yelling in his face:

badger
8/1/2006, 08:12 PM
seeing what he does, wondering what off-field thing will happen next, just makes Sooner football funny as well as entertaining.

<<<LOOK AT MY AVATAR! :D

olevetonahill
8/1/2006, 08:13 PM
Thats why we pay the Coaches the Big bucks ;)
Simmer down Folks Rhett will be GREAT this yr :cool:

Soonerwolf
8/1/2006, 08:28 PM
who cares what he has to say...

Completely agree. If the ESPN personality's name was not enough to remember, what do we care what some UCONN football rooting fool has to say?

The more ESPN says disparging things about OU, then better the Sooners always are . . .

goingoneight
8/1/2006, 09:25 PM
Why is the spike such a big deal? Did anyone else happen to notice the few times Clayton threw the ball after a TD? Ingram tossed the ball up into the air when he saved OUr asses. Reggie Bush spiked the ball several times in 2004 and in 2005 without penalty...

The spike was, yes, a little dumb. But only because a million other people have done it before. Just like pouring the Gatorade down the coach's back after the W. I have seen Rhett roll his eyes when receivers drop a pass and I've seen him smack his helmet and stuff, but AD does that kinda stuff too. I forget which game it was but he almost broke the field wide-open and got tackled by the ankles and he looked like he was gonna tear the field turf up he was so p!ssed off. Is it immature when Roy Williams would sit on top of the QB after sacking him throwing his arms side-by-side?

I believe the two unsportsmanlike conduct calls at the end of the game were stupid and the officials were hoping that Bomar would fumble a snap in the endzone. To me, the spike was no different than the victory dance Josh Heupel did after the Orange Bowl was over.

If Bomar ever goes and rips a guys helmet off or starts break-dancing in the endzone, I'll be concerned. If he starts arguing and insulting the coaches Terrell Owens-style, I'll be concerned. If he starts throwing passes too hard at recievers he doesn't like or ball-hogging QB draw all of the time... you get what I'm saying. If I had half of the freshmen season he did (mistakes included) I'd probably spike the ball, too. He was the joke of the BIG 12 for several games last season and he finished on the second-highest note in the BIG 12 as a QB with that victory. Great stuff considering the quarterback finishes of the BIG 12 in 2005.

swardboy
8/1/2006, 10:22 PM
Why is the spike such a big deal? Did anyone else happen to notice the few times Clayton threw the ball after a TD? Ingram tossed the ball up into the air when he saved OUr asses. Reggie Bush spiked the ball several times in 2004 and in 2005 without penalty...

The spike was, yes, a little dumb. But only because a million other people have done it before. Just like pouring the Gatorade down the coach's back after the W. I have seen Rhett roll his eyes when receivers drop a pass and I've seen him smack his helmet and stuff, but AD does that kinda stuff too. I forget which game it was but he almost broke the field wide-open and got tackled by the ankles and he looked like he was gonna tear the field turf up he was so p!ssed off. Is it immature when Roy Williams would sit on top of the QB after sacking him throwing his arms side-by-side?

I believe the two unsportsmanlike conduct calls at the end of the game were stupid and the officials were hoping that Bomar would fumble a snap in the endzone. To me, the spike was no different than the victory dance Josh Heupel did after the Orange Bowl was over.

If Bomar ever goes and rips a guys helmet off or starts break-dancing in the endzone, I'll be concerned. If he starts arguing and insulting the coaches Terrell Owens-style, I'll be concerned. If he starts throwing passes too hard at recievers he doesn't like or ball-hogging QB draw all of the time... you get what I'm saying. If I had half of the freshmen season he did (mistakes included) I'd probably spike the ball, too. He was the joke of the BIG 12 for several games last season and he finished on the second-highest note in the BIG 12 as a QB with that victory. Great stuff considering the quarterback finishes of the BIG 12 in 2005.

Didn't you see Stoops go ballistic after the spike? It was a delay of game penalty...the clock was stopped....it put us perilously close to the goal line, and one mishandled snap could have meant a loss instead of a win. It was a HUGE boneheaded mistake.

goingoneight
8/1/2006, 10:39 PM
I get that the situation was a little bad. But WTF? Do you think the domers would have been handed two straight ridiculous calls like that? It was set up for OU to screw it up. Bob Stoops was angry, but only because the game was nearly heart-stopping to begin with. The assistant coaches pulled him aside because he looked like he was going to pass out.

What I don't get it why people pick at Bomar for an MIP which a big number of college students get in their tenure. Why they point out things that other players (several of which were Sooner Greats) have done the same thing before without penalty.

Rhino
8/1/2006, 11:14 PM
This isn't a "they did it too" thing. This is a "you're the QB at the University of Oklahoma, don't be a complete fool with alcohol in public when everyone knows you're underage" thing. Anyway, that's a super old subject.

As far as the spike goes, a little bad? I've never seen Stoops so intense. Stoops was angry because Bomar could have cost us the game down there. And the fact that Ingram had an unsportsmanlike conduct call on him after the INT. Then to have Bomar spike the ball at the 3, forcing us to try to down the ball at the same yardline we snap the ball on the final play.

What do you mean the domers wouldn't have gotten those calls -- did you even see the 2005 USC/Notre Dame game? Calls goes both ways -- conspiracy theorists and noobs are the only ones who think calls always go against their team and no one else.

Anyway, again...old subject - but you're skewing history a bit.

I_Live_In_OK
8/2/2006, 10:23 AM
I've never seen Stoops that intense after Bomar spiked it. It was a culmination of a few things. Bomar felt he was seconds away from wrapping up a Holiday Bowl win, as a freshmen, against top ten competition. The excitement had been building since the third quarter, then AD fumbled. Anyways, old hat.

I don't consider Bomar a hot head. Ryan Leaf was a hot head. Christiano Ronaldo is a hot head. Rasheed Wallace is a hot head.

Bomar is fiery, but within the realms of the game. Overthrows a pass, he knows he did it. Emotional, but not in a detrimental way. Ever listen to him talk to the media? Smart dude, actually.

sooneron
8/2/2006, 10:29 AM
I would consider Marino a hot head, and he was one of my favorites because of it.

Tear Down This Wall
8/2/2006, 10:29 AM

Agreed.

MRNOTDUCKS
8/24/2006, 04:13 PM
Any one wish to have their posts back?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/6/62/Fred_Armisen_SNL.jpg
I'm just KEEEEEDING!!!
:D

MITSooner
8/24/2006, 04:39 PM
:) It is pretty funny seeing how everyone's attitude toward Bomar has changed over the course of one month. Amazing what a scandal can do...

westcoast_sooner
8/24/2006, 05:15 PM
The thing I liked about him was that he DID have some fire when he was on the field. But when we all found out about the other stuff, we all felt, and probably still do feel, like he kicked us in the collective guts.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/24/2006, 05:46 PM
But when we all found out about the other stuff, we all felt, and probably still do feel, like he kicked us in the collective nuts.

fixed it for ya ;)

MITSooner
8/24/2006, 05:53 PM
And to clarify, Sooner fans' collective nuts are quite massive.

1991SOONER
8/24/2006, 09:06 PM
Who is Bomar? :confused:

FlatheadSooner
8/24/2006, 09:23 PM
Sad to see him go but...........he is NOT WORTHY!!!! :mad: :O :P :D

Now, bring on the Champions.....O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A S-O-O-N-E-R-S!!!!!

1991SOONER
8/24/2006, 09:24 PM
Dang right he is not worthy.

My post > Bomar :D

SoonerStud615
8/24/2006, 09:38 PM
yes

SoonerLB
8/24/2006, 09:39 PM
Who is this Bomar you speak of? I've not heard anything about him in the JonBenet-Karr case! Surely you don't mean there is other news in the world!
;)

Dan Thompson
8/24/2006, 09:54 PM
I have heard/read that he does not listen to the coaches, ie does not the take a slide, but takes the hit etc. so I would say YES.

Octavian
8/25/2006, 12:41 AM
He's got the talent in his arms and legs....hopefully his head will follow.

:rolleyes:

Jason White's Third Knee
8/25/2006, 09:40 AM
I don't mind saying that Bomar's fiery competitive spirit is something I truly enjoy about him. With no offense to Jason cause his record speaks for itself, sometimes I had wished he was a little more emotional. Almost seemed to roll with the punches too much in tough times.

Tom Brady is pretty passionate. So is Peyton Manning. Brett Favre. Things seem to be working out fairly well for those guys.

...or Ryan Leaf, Gus Frerott, Todd Marinovich.

Dangit.

start8
8/25/2006, 10:11 AM
But, apart from the spike in the Holiday Bowl, his attitude hasn't cost us anything.

...oops on that comment.

KingDavid
8/25/2006, 10:24 AM
with all due respect, TOG does not deserve to have his name referenced in a thread title.

Stoops made it clear that his name is "that other guy" in about 3 different sessions with the press. let's follow his lead.