PDA

View Full Version : Steve Kragthorpe

JohnnyMack
8/1/2006, 11:23 AM
This guy is really pretty amazing.

He's 21 - 17 in 3 years.

At Tulsa.

He's been to two bowl games with one bowl win in 3 years.

At Tulsa.

He's got one conference championship under his belt.

At Tulsa.

Rice is 9 - 25 over that same period.
SMU is 8 - 26 over that same period.
Hell Oklahoma State is 20 - 16 over that same period.

Putting together a winning program at Tulsa is truly remarkable. Glad this d00d just got a nice contract extension. Whoever snatches this guy up (cough, cough, OSU, cough, cough) is gonna have to pay for it.

william_brasky
8/1/2006, 11:28 AM
he's better than OState job

critical_phil
8/1/2006, 11:36 AM
where's he originally from?

i'd rather not see him end up in the big XII.

Octavian
8/1/2006, 11:50 AM
too bad aggy lite and TU don't play every year like they should.

william_brasky
8/1/2006, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure where he's from. He played small college ball in Texas I think and did some graduate coaching or assistant at A&M. If Fran gets the axe down there, I bet they'd go after Kraggers (my new nickname for him).

Mac94
8/1/2006, 11:55 AM
He was an Offensive Coordinator at A&M under RC for a few years.

JohnnyMack
8/1/2006, 12:01 PM
Graduate Asst. at Oregon State
Northern Arizona
North Texas
Boston College
The Cult
Buffalo Bills

william_brasky
8/1/2006, 12:08 PM
he used to play in the Cult?

mikee likee
8/1/2006, 12:40 PM

Guitar and some vocals. One of the band members had a nervous breakdown on a plane and wanted to stay home and produce in the studio. Wait wasn't that the Beach Boys and Glen Cambell?

Landthief 1972
8/1/2006, 12:52 PM
Over 2 years, and I'm still waiting for a link to a larger pic of your avatar, mikee :D My two (or is it three?) favorite things in one photo. ;)

Tear Down This Wall
8/1/2006, 01:20 PM
Kragthorpe's dad coached in the Utahs or Idahos for a long time, Division I-AA or II schools I think. I think he's mormon, so I'd bet he looks to the BYU gig before any Big 12 job.

BudSooner
8/1/2006, 01:42 PM
Heck of a good coach, and what a difference 3yrs makes!!
Remember...he told Colorado no thanks to stay in little old TU. :D

sooneron
8/1/2006, 01:58 PM
I thought he came in during the whole GnR shuffle back in the early nineties.

royalfan5
8/1/2006, 02:07 PM
Kragthorpe's dad coached in the Utahs or Idahos for a long time, Division I-AA or II schools I think. I think he's mormon, so I'd bet he looks to the BYU gig before any Big 12 job.
His dad had a stint at Oregon State too, in the middle of their long dry spell.

SoonerJedi
8/1/2006, 05:01 PM
This guy is really pretty amazing.

He's inconsistent. One year he has a good year and the next he's at the bottom. Let's wait till he has three good years in a row before we say he is more than just mediocre.

JohnnyMack
8/1/2006, 08:53 PM
He's inconsistent. One year he has a good year and the next he's at the bottom. Let's wait till he has three good years in a row before we say he is more than just mediocre.

This is Tulsa we're talking about you smacktard. Not Michigan.

douxpaysan
8/1/2006, 09:17 PM
I hope you are right, because this guy is not who we want at A@M. The south is already to strong.http://www.artoflawmack.com/images/booty.jpg Are those daisies?

goingoneight
8/1/2006, 10:31 PM
where's he originally from?

i'd rather not see him end up in the big XII.

Unless Stoops takes him in... hehehe!!! Seriously, I would puke if he took the aggy jorb. Seeing the physicality TU played with last season would be flat-out dangerous with reasonable facilities and Boone's money.

When I met Coach K though, he is a lot, and I mean a lot like Bob Stoops. A five start guy who speaks proudly and confidently and always looks for the better in people. I am thrilled TU gets to keep him for a lil' while longer. Wherever he goes, he'll shake up the entire league for sure...

TU plays OSU in 2007, so I'd like to see Gumby up against that lil' situation. I like how Gumby's cleaned up the LM trash so far. But in order to truly test a coach, you have to put him through hell like we did with Bob in 2000 (schedule-wise). I think we will play TU in 2007 also...

SoonerJedi
8/1/2006, 11:24 PM
This is Tulsa we're talking about you smacktard. Not Michigan.

Tulsa doesn't play in the BigTen either. There is no excuse.
Go throw your temper tantrum elsewhere.

AllAboutThe'O'
8/2/2006, 01:45 AM
As royalfan5 mentioned, he was head coach at Oregon State at one time and also led Idaho State to a I-AA national title in the early 80s. Steve's brother is a columnist for one of the Salt Lake City newspapers.
Good move by TU to lock Coach Steve up. Hopefully, that sends a message that TU will shed its reputation as a "stepping-stone" school (see Nolan Richardson, John Cooper, Tubby Smith, Bill Self, etc.).

royalfan5
8/2/2006, 08:21 AM
There is no excuse for a program that had what, 1 winning season in the previous 15 not to be consistent immediately under a new coach? Perhaps, it took Kragthorpe a year or two to rebuild enough depth to consistently win. I bet as bad as Tulsa was prior they weren't exactly overflowing with the players needed to win consistently? The players aren't equal lumps of clay for every coach, for some programs 4-7 is the best you can do in a given year.

OklahomaTuba
8/2/2006, 08:34 AM

This may be the dumbest post I have seen in a long long time.
You obviously have no clue about Tulsa football, or maybe football in general.

They have had 3 good years (yes, 3 of them) with solid recruiting that is now showing up in the trophy case. This doesn't happen overnite when a team only wins one game, plays in a ****hole stadium, was in a horrid conference and only attracts 10,000 senior citizens who get free tickets at arbys.

:rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
8/2/2006, 09:34 AM
This may be the dumbest post I have seen in a long long time.
You obviously have no clue about Tulsa football, or maybe football in general.

They have had 3 good years (yes, 3 of them) with solid recruiting that is now showing up in the trophy case. This doesn't happen overnite when a team only wins one game, plays in a ****hole stadium, was in a horrid conference and only attracts 10,000 senior citizen who get free tickets at arbys.

:rolleyes:

Why do you hate Horsey Sauce?

hurricane'bone
8/2/2006, 09:42 AM

I've always found this arguement to be incredibly stupid, along with the reverse, "well if ou played in gollldarn conference USA, they'd go undefeated!" and calling Coach K mediocre is just flat out dumb.

GDC
8/2/2006, 10:47 AM
Conference USA Media Day: Irving, Texas: Tulsa in the bull's-eye
By ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer
8/2/2006

Hurricane coach is the focus of attention after last year's C-USA title
IRVING, Texas -- Steve Kragthorpe's trip to last year's Conference USA's media day could almost be labeled boring.

His team was picked to finish fourth in the West Division of the 12-team league. Instead of being hounded by reporters, Kragthorpe thumbed through opponents' media guides and occasionally answered a question.

On Tuesday, Tulsa football was one of the hot topics at C-USA media day. For nearly three hours, the Golden Hurricane's fourth-year coach had reporters flocking around him.

What a difference one year and a league championship can make.

Instead of accepting credit, Kragthorpe deflected attention to his team's journey to the top.

"The players, in particular, have made a lot of sacrifices and have worked extremely hard," said Kragthorpe, whose Hurricane are this year's favorite in the C-USA West. "It's been a good three years because we've experienced success, but it's been a hard, tough climb. The guys have invested a lot in this program."

Kragthorpe said TU football isn't just a hot topic at media day, but also in his hometown.

"When I walk into QuikTrip, everyone wants to talk TU football,"

Kragthorpe said. "I walk into the mall and I see TU hats and T-shirts. Three years ago, I didn't see that. Now I see people wearing Tulsa gear around town.

"It's great for the city, program and players."

After going 20 years without a league championship, the players' maturity will be tested. The bull's-eye is locked squarely on the Hurricane.

"Everyone's cool with it," said TU running back Brandon Diles. "We know everyone wants to be in our shoes.

"We just have to play hard in every game."

Senior linebacker Nick Bunting didn't focus too much on last year's preseason predictions. He pointed to the final tally, which included a C-USA and Liberty Bowl title.

"We showed last year that it doesn't matter what the polls say," Bunting said. "Anything can happen on any given day."

UCF was picked to finish last in the 2005 East race. Instead, they hosted the C-USA championship game against Tulsa.

The Golden Knights are stacked, with nine starters returning on both offense and defense.

Quarterback Steven Moffett said his team is motivated for another successful run.

"It's pretty easy to get pumped up because we lost (in the conference title game and bowl game) last year," he said. "All we want to do is get back in that (league title) game and win a bowl game."

One of the teams chasing TU in the West will be UTEP, which finished second in preseason voting.

Miners coach Mike Price said TU deserves to get the early nod.

"They're going to be real competitive," Price said. "Paul Smith is an awesome quarterback and Steve Kragthorpe does a great job coaching."

Houston, SMU and Southern Miss are also expected to vie for league supremacy.

Kragthorpe was asked if two or three teams could annually establish themselves as schools to beat in the league.

"Absolutely not," he said. "I look at the quality of coaches in this league and the quality of players and it's going to be hard to be a consistent performer."

Tulsa's players will meet for their first practice on Saturday.

"Just because you've been successful doesn't ensure success the next year," Kragthorpe said. "We haven't arrived. We're not going to come into training camp and say we're just going to tune up the engine. We're going to tear it down and start it all over again.

"We're a totally different football team in 2006 than we were in 2005. That's fun, exciting and the challenge of being in this situation. Our guys know and understand that."

Diles is ready to lace up his shoes one final season.

"In my senior year, I want to go to another bowl game and have another successful season," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric Bailey 581-8391
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006 SCHEDULE
Aug. 31 Stephen F. Austin 6 p.m.
Sept. 9 at BYU 3 p.m.
Sept. 16 North Texas 6 p.m.
Sept. 23 at Navy 12:30 p.m.
Oct. 3 S. Miss ESPN2 6:30 p.m.
Oct. 14 at East Carolina 2 p.m.
Oct. 21 at Memphis 7 p.m.
Oct. 27 UTEP ESPN2-26 7 p.m.
Nov. 4 atHouston 3 p.m.
Nov. 11 Rice 2 p.m.
Nov. 18 at SMU 2 p.m.
Nov. 24 Tulane 2 p.m..

Pricetag
8/2/2006, 10:55 AM
If you're talking about 2004, sure their record wasn't great, but they had some seriously tough luck in a few of their losses. They easily could have been better than .500 and gone to a bowl. They were not terrible by any stretch of the imagination.