PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially a runner...

Hamhock
8/1/2006, 08:38 AM
my nipples have scabs.

that is all.

Howzit
8/1/2006, 08:40 AM
Good job!

Are there any other runners on the board that would like to share nipple stories?

8/1/2006, 08:41 AM
http://www.nipguards.com/

I had this problem a couple of months ago. They eventually turned to a nice shoe leather.

Hamhock
8/1/2006, 08:42 AM
My thighs are chapped also. I remember one time at Remington Park seeing the trainers apply something that looked like bacon grease to the horses.

I'm going to try bacon grease in between my legs and on my nipples for my next long run.

Howzit
8/1/2006, 08:44 AM
How far are your long runs, Hamhock? Man, you must be enjoying running to push through in this heat, long runs are pretty tough when it gets to these temps. At least for wimps like me...

Hamhock
8/1/2006, 08:46 AM
How far are your long runs, Hamhock? Man, you must be enjoying running to push through in this heat, long runs are pretty tough when it gets to these temps. At least for wimps like me...

As my wife will attest to, "long" is a very relative term. I just started a training plan and I did 6.25 Saturday.

BTW, I broke down and bought a Garmin Forerunner. It rocks.

Howzit
8/1/2006, 08:49 AM
Good for you, sounds like you're hooked. That's when it is the most fun.

Soon we will need a Runners Only Folder. When all the closet runners "come out."

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/1/2006, 08:51 AM
Heh.

Soonerchaz
8/1/2006, 09:19 AM
Body Glide is your friend. Pick it up at your local running store.

And you might try medical tape for those nipples. I think it's called Transpore. Found it at Walgreens. Saved my nips on many a long run.

mdklatt
8/1/2006, 09:21 AM
WTF does running have to do with nipples? :eek: :confused:

Soonerchaz
8/1/2006, 09:25 AM
WTF does running have to do with nipples?

Running long distances...plus sweat...plus clothing equals chaffing (in all sorts of places).

Lose the shirt...no rubby the nips.

Hamhock
8/1/2006, 09:37 AM
WTF does running have to do with nipples? :eek: :confused:

What doesn't have to do with nipples?

Hamhock
8/1/2006, 09:41 AM

and yes, the heat is the succ.

before, i could sleep in and still get my run in at 7 or 7:30. at least the heat motivates me to get up early and get the run in before the sun. today, at 6:30 it was 81 at my house.

Soonrboy
8/1/2006, 09:46 AM
Pics are needed...

oh nevermind, you're a dood.

Okla-homey
8/1/2006, 09:58 AM
I don't run. I trudge. 8 to 9 minute miles depending on how I feel. I do however, do it rain or shine, hot or cold. That's the secret. Never be pwn3d by the weather. Yesterday, at 1700, I went my usual route (which Howzit ran with me at Christmastime BTW.) I think it was 101F. It was so windy the heat didn't seem too bad.

My nips never bleed, but I have a very shaggy chest which keeps the shirt away from them.

Incidentally, anthropologists believe that's what body hair does. Helps avoid chafing. That's why we have it in our armpits and our crotch-ital region.

WILDCAT NATION
8/1/2006, 10:02 AM
I've tried getting into running...very hard to run when you're this fat, however.

Hamhock
8/1/2006, 10:04 AM
I don't run. I trudge. 8 to 9 minute miles depending on how I feel. I do however, do it rain or shine, hot or cold. That's the secret. Never be pwn3d by the weather. Yesterday, at 1700, I went my usual route (which Howzit ran with me at Christmastime BTW.) I think it was 101F. It was so windy the heat didn't seem too bad.

that's sprinting for me. i was killing myself initially. i ran 4 and 5 miles at 95% of my max HR. I ran with a guy who does marathons and he told me i was stupid. I now run mostly in aerobic heart rate zones and it is much more enjoyable.

Hamhock
8/1/2006, 10:05 AM
Pics are needed...

oh nevermind, you're a dood.

remember, you asked for it.

http://www.nipguards.com/images/ray98.jpg

Hamhock
8/1/2006, 10:09 AM
I've tried getting into running...very hard to run when you're this fat, however.

you're trying too hard. go to runnersworld.com.

they have a beginning running plan. it starts out with running/walking.

btw, my buddy ran his fastest marathon times when he began doing some walking in the middle of his run.

Howzit
8/1/2006, 10:10 AM
that's sprinting for me. i was killing myself initially. i ran 4 and 5 miles at 95% of my max HR. I ran with a guy who does marathons and he told me i was stupid. I now run mostly in aerobic heart rate zones and it is much more enjoyable.

Yep, but it's a good idea to keep mixing in those tempo runs also. Maybe do a faster tempo run during the week and save the longer runs for the weekend.

Most marathon training programs include a weekly tempo run, a marathon pace run (the pace you would like to run the marathon) and a long run that is around a minute per mile sloer than marathon pace. Slowing down also makes it easier to increase distance, but you should not increase more than 10% in any given week.

I realize you never said you're training for a marathon, the point is that in training it's good to mix things up.

Hamhock
8/1/2006, 10:11 AM
Yep, but it's a good idea to keep mixing in those tempo runs also. Maybe do a faster tempo run during the week and save the longer runs for the weekend.

Most marathon training programs include a weekly tempo run, a marathon pace run (the pace you would like to run the marathon) and a long run that is around a minute per mile sloer than marathon pace. Slowing down also makes it easier to increase distance, but you should not increase more than 10% in any given week.

I realize you never said you're training for a marathon, the point is that in training it's good to mix things up.

i'm training for the 15k tulsa run. the plan i just started, this week, has tempo runs and speed training on Wednesdays with long runs on Saturday.

runnersworld has a cool new tool on it that will customize a training plan for you.

Okla-homey
8/1/2006, 10:14 AM

That's good. Just don't ever let it become a "chore" or you'll quit. I have always used trudging as therapy. it also gives me time away from phones and stuff. I have workied out some of the most vexing problems with which I have ever been faced while be-bopping along.

Also, good shoes. Do not scrimp on shoes. Replace those shoes at the proper interval too. I get a new pair about every 6 months. New Balance 990 series. They have been my friends since my first pair about 20 years go now. They haven't changed much in appearance either.

Howzit
8/1/2006, 10:16 AM
Cool Max is your friend.

:D

Beef
8/1/2006, 10:37 AM
I've been thinking about doing some running now that I have new found lung power and less weight smashing the concrete, but my feet are the succ and don't like shoes.

Howzit
8/1/2006, 10:41 AM
Brooks Beast, BeefyT.

Okla-homey
8/1/2006, 10:43 AM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4391/bbbbbbbtactheatgearyw8.gif (http://imageshack.us)

This stuff is the best I've ever owned. I wear their skivvies (in white) under business attire in the summer. It is the shizz.