PDA

View Full Version : Names on jerseys..from WWLS

CtheB
8/1/2006, 07:47 AM
Rumor this morning on the radio regarding OU's consideration to not put names on the back of jerseys this year. Said a final decision has yet to be made. Radio gossip or real possibility? Whaddaya think?

Personally, I don't like it.

Sooner in Tampa
8/1/2006, 07:57 AM
I kind of like it. In my mind it takes away the individual and makes them ONE.

Just my .02

mobilesteve
8/1/2006, 07:58 AM
Gay

Okieflyer
8/1/2006, 08:07 AM
I kind of like it. In my mind it takes away the individual and makes them ONE.

Just my .02

It doesn't make any damm difference, no offense, I don't know a player who really gives a rip about whether or not his name is on the back or not. It's just a stupid psych ploy. I think the last time the Sooners won the NC it was with names on the back.

Not trying to jump you CarolinaSoonerinFla. Just a difference of opinion.;)

Sooner in Tampa
8/1/2006, 08:11 AM
It doesn't make any damm difference, no offense, I don't know a player who really gives a rip about whether or not his name is on the back or not. It's just a stupid psych ploy. I think the last time the Sooners won the NC it was with names on the back.

Not trying to jump you CarolinaSoonerinFla. Just a difference of opinion.;)Thats cool.
I have heard and read alot of what Bob is talking about this year and he really seems to be about PROVING it on the field this year...instead of all the damn hype. I think this is just another way for him to get his point.

I think I even read where he talked about guys already having sense of ownership to the great defenses of the past...just because they were on the squad.

C&CDean
8/1/2006, 08:31 AM
Just another stupid rumor. Ain't happening.

The Consumate Showman
8/1/2006, 08:39 AM
uh, from all accounts, I've heard there is some real substance behind this. it may not happen this year, but it seems very likely it will happen next year...

BoogercountySooner
8/1/2006, 08:42 AM
Bob's probably trying to motivate the players and make em earn there names back on their jersey's!

soonerjoker
8/1/2006, 08:48 AM
to make more of a "team" effort; remove numbers also.

soonerjoker
8/1/2006, 08:48 AM
trying to be more like psu.

CrimsonChampion
8/1/2006, 08:55 AM
Either way N.C. #8 isn't far away, I like the classy no name look, after 1 or 2 games I know every new player on the field anyway. I honestly don't care though, names on the back or not, please just don't ever change our unis.

OklahomaTuba
8/1/2006, 09:07 AM
I hear we will be busting out the green jerseys for UAB.

salth2o
8/1/2006, 09:11 AM
I prefer the players name on the back of the jersey, but understand the importance of emphasizing team over self. If Stoops thinks its necessary and will make the team better...I am for it! Most of us already know who is wearing the number anyway.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/1/2006, 09:18 AM
Bob's probably trying to motivate the players and make em earn there names back on their jersey's!

Uhhh, We're not Aggie! ;)

sooneron
8/1/2006, 09:37 AM
I don't think we should change a thing. This will work about as well as "finish" bracelets.

Soonermagik
8/1/2006, 10:10 AM
I would prefer to have the names, but its not life or death.

Mac94
8/1/2006, 10:17 AM
Hey, you can see how well it's worked for Texas A&M ... we've been darned near unstoppable since coach Fran pulled the names off our players.

;)

the_ouskull
8/1/2006, 10:19 AM
I think it's a horrible idea... unless they're doing it to sell more programs. Then it's brilliant. Sh*tty, but brilliant.

...or are they doing it so that Vince Young won't feel as bad about not knowing who hit him? I mean, they know he's gone now, right?

the_ouskull

Snrfn4ever08
8/1/2006, 10:47 AM
i honestly think that taking the names off the back of the jerseys does nothing other than confuse the fans who are paying hard earned money to go to football games and all of that stuff

RedstickSooner
8/1/2006, 11:15 AM

Not trying to jump you CarolinaSoonerinFla. Just a difference of opinion.;)

I know coaches love this kind of symbollic crud, but I just have a hard time figuring it matters much at all.

I'd say having the right cleats for the surface, or the right formation for your personnel, might have just a smidgeon more of an effect on the outcome of the game.

But taking names off the jerseys *does* make it a pain in the patoot for fans who haven't memorized the roster.

If coach wants it, coach gets it -- I just don't dig that it'll matter much. But I guess if it made Stoops more confident or whatever, it'd be worth the change right there, wouldn't it?

Rhino
8/1/2006, 11:23 AM
Toby Rowland started this rumor yesterday morning.

And it would be the stupidest thing Stoops has ever done.

TheUnnamedSooner
8/1/2006, 12:19 PM

Couldn't have said it better. A player isn't going to play any different with or without the name.

Pricetag
8/1/2006, 12:24 PM
I don't think we should change a thing. This will work about as well as "finish" bracelets.
Amen. This is a move that has become ridiculously cliched the past few years. Frigging OSU did it! There's no reason for us to follow suit.

If the coaches think the players need more motivation, then they should beat it into them on the field.

Sooner in Tampa
8/1/2006, 12:28 PM
If the coaches think the players need more motivation, then they should beat it into them on the field.I thought Schmiddy was already trying that approach.

OUstud
8/1/2006, 12:31 PM
Meh. I haven't ever seen this ploy actually work in college football.

CatfishSooner
8/1/2006, 12:38 PM
It would be really stupid for that to occur...stupid.

Pigface1
8/1/2006, 12:49 PM
I can't believe they're even considering removing the names. Leave the names and GET RID of the new bull**** mascotts that are an embarassment on the sidelines and let the team play. What a f'n joke.:mad:

Snrfn4ever08
8/1/2006, 12:50 PM
I can't believe they're even considering removing the names. Leave the names and GET RID of the new bull**** mascotts that are an embarassment on the sidelines and let the team play. What a f'n joke.:mad:
they have to get rid of those sooner or later, right?

Pigface1
8/1/2006, 12:54 PM
they have to get rid of those sooner or later, right?

You would think so. A bunch of cheeseball crap as of late in Norman. :(

BermudaSooner
8/1/2006, 01:31 PM
I hear we will be busting out the green jerseys for UAB.

dammit you beat me to it. Respeck!

ou4me
8/1/2006, 02:18 PM
dammit you beat me to it. Respeck!

Just as long as we get to use the Chrome Helmets too. :twinkies:

Mac94
8/1/2006, 02:29 PM
Leave the names and GET RID of the new bull**** mascotts that are an embarassment on the sidelines and let the team play.

Agreed. Those two "horse" things are a joke. Another thing to learn from A&M. Jackie Sherrill actually tried to get an "ol Sarge" mascot for our sidlines soon after he was hired but the fans raised such a stink the project had a very short life. OU has all the mascots they need in the schooner and the ponies that pull it. Leave the goofy looking sideline mascots to Nebraska.

ousoonerfan
8/1/2006, 03:06 PM
...and OSU.

C&CDean
8/1/2006, 03:10 PM
I guess you people didn't read where I said it ain't happening. Wasn't even discussed. Dumbass Rowland started a rumor all by himself. Not gonna happen. Never was. No way, no how.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/1/2006, 03:11 PM
I guess you people didn't read where I said it ain't happening. Wasn't even discussed. Dumbass Rowland started a rumor all by himself. Not gonna happen. Never was. No way, no how.

Hale said that the coaches are considering it. But that that for what it is worth.

caphorns
8/1/2006, 03:22 PM
Sorry but I have a hard time imagining that a quality coach like Stoops would be wasting time on this kind of crap.

DeadSolidPerfect
8/1/2006, 03:22 PM
Hale said that the coaches are considering it. But that that for what it is worth.
If it came from Hale it ain't worth much.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/1/2006, 03:24 PM
If it came from Hale it ain't worth much.

I agree but he is pretty much the mouthpiece of OU. There's about a .0000000000001% chance OU would be considering something like this in my opinion.

The Maestro
8/1/2006, 03:25 PM
You wanna make them real aware on the field? No cups! Talk about having your head on a swivel!

swardboy
8/1/2006, 03:26 PM
I'd say having the right cleats for the surface, or the right formation for your personnel, might have just a smidgeon more of an effect on the outcome of the game.

Dayum straight!!!!!

Snrfn4ever08
8/1/2006, 03:27 PM
Sorry but I have a hard time imagining that a quality coach like Stoops would be wasting time on this kind of crap.
now if someone like mack brown decided to do this....;)

C&CDean
8/1/2006, 03:31 PM
It's ****ing NLT people. Don't make me say it again.

JohnnyMack
8/1/2006, 03:37 PM
I'm horny.

TheGodfather889
8/1/2006, 03:53 PM
Keep the names on the jerseys.

goingoneight
8/1/2006, 09:39 PM

Ahhh yes. No one would suspect Paul Thompson taking a pitch from behind the QB for a deep shot...

goingoneight
8/1/2006, 09:40 PM
I'm horny.

BASTARD!!! NLT!!! :D

goingoneight
8/1/2006, 09:43 PM
...and OSU.

Ahhh, yes. You have a cross-eyed, bow-legged, orange-dressed ugly fool screaming "Go Pokes!"

And then you have Pistol Pete.

goingoneight
8/1/2006, 09:46 PM
You wanna make them real aware on the field? No cups! Talk about having your head on a swivel!

Howsaboot we don't mention that... evar again. :(

We'd lose AD for a hell of a lot longer than four games if we did that.

47straight
8/2/2006, 02:51 AM
Related note - during preseason practices, everyone has a plain crimson helmet, no OU logo.... except maybe captains?

Similar motivation?

Macanudo
8/2/2006, 04:16 AM
I don't like it when teams do this unless they've always done it.

Harry Beanbag
8/2/2006, 06:53 AM
We should all know Stoops well enough by now that doing something like this is way too lame for him to be concerned with.

OUfan7
8/2/2006, 07:21 AM
It is kinda helpful for some fans that don't know every players name and number, especially on the double up numbers. Just sayin.....

King Crimson
8/2/2006, 09:15 AM
ATM took em off last year and went 5-7. Whoop!

Snrfn4ever08
8/2/2006, 09:16 AM
OSU took them off last year and went 4-7. :eek:

Pricetag
8/2/2006, 10:08 AM
Howsaboot we don't mention that... evar again. :(

We'd lose AD for a hell of a lot longer than four games if we did that.
Heck, they might never catch him if he was running for his life like that.

mrowl
8/3/2006, 03:14 PM
names are gone.

Big Red Ron
8/3/2006, 03:20 PM
Just another stupid rumor. Ain't happening.Like PT starting? ;)