PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Area SOs

MamaMia
7/31/2006, 08:33 PM
I'm treating my granddaughter to a Six Flags Over Texas weekend on a budget,and some shopping, as her birthday gift. She will be 10 years old.

I haven't been to Six Flags in 13 years, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've set aside some funds for a couple of outfits for school so I need to know the best shopping place for Pre teen clothing. I also promised we could get her hair styled while we're there. Any suggestions? :)

Soonrboy
7/31/2006, 08:57 PM
When are you going, Mom? I think we have some free tickets ...they expire pretty fast though...

MamaMia
7/31/2006, 09:01 PM
When are you going, Mom? I think we have some free tickets ...they expire pretty fast though...
On either the 14th or 15th.:)

jk the sooner fan
7/31/2006, 09:10 PM
2 words

BEAT......ING

if its as hot that day as its been lately, you're gonna be miserable, but you're a good gramma for taking her

Soonrboy
7/31/2006, 09:46 PM
Sorry, they expired today..dang. 1 adult and 2 children tickets..sorry mom.

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 10:09 PM
I think BOk had some kind of Six Flags promotion going. Not sure though.

Do they still have "Spelunkers Cave" at SFOT? I remember really digging that ride forty years ago when I was six!

MamaMia
7/31/2006, 10:39 PM
Sorry, they expired today..dang. 1 adult and 2 children tickets..sorry mom.Thats okay. Thanks anyway. :)

What would be the best hotel for me to book?

BajaOklahoma
8/1/2006, 12:52 AM
1. Take lots of money to Six Flags. It's hot and the drink are $$$$.

2. Stonebriar Mall in Frisco.

3. There is a Seventeen Studio Spa in Plano, on the tollway.
http://www.seventeenspa.com/ It's not cheap, but geared for young ladies.

2 & 3 are fairly close together. IKEA is right by the mall.

nmsoonergirl
8/1/2006, 08:15 AM
Mom, you've probably already found this, but here's a 10 dollar off coupon
http://www.arlington.org/coupons.php

I don't have any ideas for you, but I will say that going to Six Flags with my grandparents is one of my best childhood memories! Have fun and be safe.

MamaMia
8/1/2006, 09:10 AM
1. Take lots of money to Six Flags. It's hot and the drink are $$$$.

2. Stonebriar Mall in Frisco.

3. There is a Seventeen Studio Spa in Plano, on the tollway.
http://www.seventeenspa.com/ It's not cheap, but geared for young ladies.

2 & 3 are fairly close together. IKEA is right by the mall.
Thanks. Where is Frisco? I have never been on a trip when I was the only grown up. My sister is totally freaking out. I think they're still all worried just because of what happened at Woodland Hills Mall when I drove to Tulsa all by myself the year we played in the Sugar Bowl. Remember? I told you guys all about it. I assured her that we will be just fine. :D

Thanks Baja. You are a real peach. :)
I'll call that Seventeen Studio Spa in Plano and see if I can afford it. What is IKEA?

Mom, you've probably already found this, but here's a 10 dollar off coupon
http://www.arlington.org/coupons.php

I don't have any ideas for you, but I will say that going to Six Flags with my grandparents is one of my best childhood memories! Have fun and be safe.
Thank you nmsoonergirl. I'll click on your link here shortly. I need all the discounts I can get. :O

BeetDigger
8/1/2006, 09:41 AM
As far as I know, they let you take your own drinks into Six Flags. They did a couple of years ago. Take a soft side cooler with you inside of a backback. We always freeze at least two of the water bottles and then refrigerate two or three more. It can be a bit heavy but 1) its exercise and 2) she's 10 and can handle it. You will appreciate the frozen water as the day progresses and it thaws. Take trail mix or some other snack too. It helps to minimize the amount of food you have to buy there, it is expensive.

I can't remember where my wife buys our eight year old clothes. Target is pretty popular as they have trendy styles and they keep their price down. She also likes Old Navy, although the prices are not as cheap as they once were. The quality is pretty low at Old Navy however. But they only wear it for about nine months. Nordstrom, believe it, has sale racks often. Their stuff is great. But sizes can be a problem. However, their prices aren't always terrible and their quality is much, much better than most other places.

mdklatt
8/1/2006, 09:56 AM
Where is Frisco?

Nowhere close to Six Flags.

BeetDigger
8/1/2006, 10:19 AM
Nowhere close to Six Flags.

Heh. And true.

GrapevineSooner
8/1/2006, 10:58 AM
Frisco's about an hour away from Six Flags.

Without traffic.

Oh yeah, it's expensive to park and even more expensive to get in.

Widescreen
8/1/2006, 11:08 AM
Mom, I just bought a Six Flags ticket at Albertson's yesterday (I'm taking the family today). It cost me $32 including tax which is about $18 off the regular price. It's the best price I've seen including any of the discount coupons. Any DFW area Albertson's should be able to sell them to you.

mdklatt
8/1/2006, 11:14 AM
Without traffic.

i.e. never :D

MamaMia
8/2/2006, 10:43 AM
Mom, I just bought a Six Flags ticket at Albertson's yesterday (I'm taking the family today). It cost me $32 including tax which is about $18 off the regular price. It's the best price I've seen including any of the discount coupons. Any DFW area Albertson's should be able to sell them to you.
Thanks for all the trips guys. I'll check out the Albertsons. Those tickets otherwise are 35 for kids and 45 for adults :eek: I'm almost afraid to ask how much the parking is.

I have decided to stay in a hotel somewhere around Arlington. We will arrive on Sunday evening. Head to Frisco for some shopping in the Stonebriar Mall the next morning. Her appointment at Seventeen in Plano is for that Monday afternoon. We will be doing Six flags on Tuesday, meet some family members for brunch on Wednesday and find a couple of other easy going things to do in that particular area to wind down a bit, and then head back home on Thursday morning. :D

BeetDigger
8/2/2006, 10:53 AM
The Galleria is easier to get to than Stonebrier (for you anyway, not for me, I live five minutes away). I don't think that Stonebrier has more cool teen shops than the Galleria. You could do the Galleria, then come up the tollway and hit Willow Bend then hit Stonebrier. Then hit the bar because you will need a drink after that.

MamaMia
8/2/2006, 11:40 AM
The Galleria is easier to get to than Stonebrier (for you anyway, not for me, I live five minutes away). I don't think that Stonebrier has more cool teen shops than the Galleria. You could do the Galleria, then come up the tollway and hit Willow Bend then hit Stonebrier. Then hit the bar because you will need a drink after that.:D

So, just so I understand. You think the Galleria would be a better plan than Stonebriar since its closer to Arlington? If so, then how far away is the Galleria from Plano? Is there maybe a really cool mall for pre teen clothing right there in Plano?

mdklatt
8/2/2006, 11:47 AM
:D

So, just so I understand. You think the Galleria would be a better plan than Stonebriar since its closer to Arlington? If so, then how far away is the Galleria from Plano? Is there maybe a really cool mall for pre teen clothing right there in Plano?

The Galleria is on the way to Plano from Arlington, or at least it can be.

Why is Plano in the picture? Plano is hella far from Arlington.

BeetDigger
8/2/2006, 11:57 AM

Why is Plano in the picture? Plano is hella far from Arlington.

It really is.

However, it sounds as if there is a primping to be done by some beauty shop in Plano so that must be the reason. I will say that Plano is a good place to live, but I sure wouldn't make it a destination if I were visiting DFW unless you were going there for something that you couldn't do elsewhere in the metroplex.

What the heck mom, just take her into Dallas and go to Stanley Korshak's. You could ring up a couple grand on the girl in no time there. Plus there are some swanky shops there where she could get her hair and nails done. Lunch at the steak joint (whose name is escaping me) there and you might see Tom Hicks sucking down martini's as he looks at the AL West standings or mulls over a Stars contract.

GDC
8/2/2006, 12:15 PM
The whornlovers are being real quiet today, please don't encourage them, it's been great.

Widescreen
8/2/2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks for all the trips guys. I'll check out the Albertsons. Those tickets otherwise are 35 for kids and 45 for adults :eek: I'm almost afraid to ask how much the parking is.
Parking is $15 (at least it was yesterday when we were there). Also, on the day you're going, they are operating at reduced hours so they're only open from 11am thru 6pm. This is enough time to do most of what you want to do but I wanted to make sure you were aware of that so you wouldn't get there at 2:00 and realize you only had 4 hours left.

MamaMia
8/2/2006, 12:26 PM

Why is Plano in the picture? Plano is hella far from Arlington.BeetDiggers right. We're going to do some major primping. :D

I booked us an afternoon at that 'Seventeen' place in Plano that Baja suggested. They have a package plan. We can get a haircut and style for her, and a manicure and pedicure for both of us for a couple of hundred, which includes a 15 to 20% tip. I was lucky they had a cancellation. Thats place is booked up.

BajaOklahoma
8/2/2006, 06:34 PM
Seventeen's Spa is THE place for pre-teens. They all know Seventeen magazine and it is a fun place for the kids. Earning Gms points. I know it is a drive from Arlington, but the granddaughter will love it.

Willowbend Mall is meh. It is now known as the stoller mall, a drop in status from its $$$$$ roots.

www.IKEA.com Great place to get stuff to decorate a first apt or kid's room. Cheap stuff, but looks good. You don't feel guilty about replacing it in a year or two. You ought to go once.

And way to wait to come doen here until I am back at work. :(

AllAboutThe'O'
8/3/2006, 03:32 AM
If she likes rides, you may want to buy her a Flash Pass once you get into the park. It costs about $30, but it eliminates the long wait in lines for the more popular rides.
Me, my sister, her ex-husband (still on friendly terms BTW) and their kids went there on Monday. We didn't buy any Flash Passes this year, although we did last year. My sister, her ex and one of the kids waited about an hour to ride the Roaring Rapids. I took the other kid along with me and we lucked out; we didn't have any long waits for the Titan or Shock Wave and was in line no more than 20 minutes for Runaway Mountain and Flashback. But I would say it was more the exception than the rule. Also, bring money to buy drinks because summer in the Metroplex, as we all know, is a tad too balmy.

PhilTLL
8/3/2006, 05:45 AM
Batman The Ride, Shockwave (both exciting, but smooth and not too big), the Mine Train, and for sure Judge Roy Scream and La Vibora (both fun but pretty tame) are palatable if you even slightly enjoy coasters. If you're a big coaster fan, definitely hit Texas Giant and Titan, two of my favorite coasters in the region. If Mr. Freeze is open, it's fun but the lines are usually quite long. Superman Tower of Power, the vertical ride, is a lot of fun too, but skippable if the line is long.

Unlike Six Flags Over Georgia, Texas still has their classic parachute ride, which isn't terribly exciting but which I still hit every time I'm there. And, Flashback, the Roaring Rapids, and Bumper Cars apparently close starting on the 7th, per sixflags.com. Poo.

Okla-homey
8/3/2006, 06:14 AM
Alas, I have discovered through the power of the innerweb, "The Cave' ride is no more. Six Flags Over texass is now dead to me.

http://www.dafe.org/attractions/darkrides/spee-lunker/spee-lunker.htm

crawfish
8/3/2006, 08:19 AM
Alas, I have discovered through the power of the innerweb, "The Cave' ride is no more. Six Flags Over texass is now dead to me.

http://www.dafe.org/attractions/darkrides/spee-lunker/spee-lunker.htm

It's been some lame loony tunes ride for about 10 years now.

You simply CANNOT have an unbranded ride these days. :rolleyes:

jk the sooner fan
8/3/2006, 08:29 AM
The whornlovers are being real quiet today, please don't encourage them, it's been great.

i'd negspek you repeatedly if i could

slickdawg
8/3/2006, 10:07 AM
While I am now technically a Dallas area SO'er, I can offer no help Mom.
Beetdigger's advice looks good to me!

AllAboutThe'O'
8/4/2006, 02:47 AM
It's been some lame loony tunes ride for about 10 years now.

You simply CANNOT have an unbranded ride these days. :rolleyes:
Oh, and I had the good fortune to ride the Yosemite Sam Gold River Adventure ride with my niece and nephew without waiting a single minute in line. But yeah, it don't compare to when it was "The Cave."
I also remember when they renamed the Roaring Rapids to General LaSalle's Rapids or something like that with a French theme. That didn't last too long and it's back to the Roaring Rapids that we know and love.