PDA

View Full Version : Classen School of Advanced Studies...

NYSooner1355
7/31/2006, 08:14 PM
makes the list for top high schools in America - at #17 in newsweek:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12532678/site/newsweek/

pretty cool

on another note - I have a phone interview with OKC public schools tomorrow for a School Counselor position - but according to their vacancies list there is only one opening at Roosevelt Middle School...

Penguin
7/31/2006, 08:26 PM
Why are subsidized lunches included in the equation?

Soonrboy
7/31/2006, 08:32 PM
Part of No Child Left Behind. You compare how the free/reduced lunch kids (those living in poverty) compare to those not on free/reduced lunches.

BTW..my boy starts Classen this fall...we'll see how it stacks up!

SoonerInFla
7/31/2006, 08:35 PM
The list lost all credibility with me when I see Pensacola High School as the first Northwest Florida area school listed. The list of schools in that area you would rather have your children attend over PHS would be long.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/31/2006, 08:46 PM
NY-Have you looked at some of the suburban school districts? Maybe Fairview Elementary has an opening for you. That would be weird wouldn't it?

NYSooner1355
7/31/2006, 08:53 PM
That would be! (fairview)

Actually I applied to pretty much all the openings around the OKC area I found - including Moore, Yukon, Piedmont, Putnam City, Edmond, Mid-Del - didn't hear back from any of them...We'll see how things go tomorrow - I was hoping for a HS position and last week there were two openings at Capitol Hill and one at NW Classen - this week there is only the middle school position...

I have a position in Baltimore City, MD at one of the inner city high schools there (it is actually within walking distance of Camden Yards and M&T Stadium where the Ravens play)...but almost all of my family is back in OK...but with those positions closing it looks like my decision has been made a little easier

Soonrboy
7/31/2006, 08:55 PM
Capitol Hill is coming off a very bad year, again...brand new principal there this year. I don't know much about NW Classen.

The Roosevelt principal is very outgoing. I like her, others do not.

NYSooner1355
7/31/2006, 08:56 PM
I don't think they are comparing the free/sub's lunch group to non subs lunch group...those numbers are usually used to give an idea of the socioeconomic status of the school

Classen must be pretty intense - alot of schools that offer the International Baccaulaureate Program do not offer Advanced Placement courses also - and it appears Classen does

Soonrboy
7/31/2006, 09:00 PM
when I get a break down of schools, one of the categories is free-reduced lunch kids. Someone is comparing, because the school is getting federal money if you receive Title I money

NYSooner1355
7/31/2006, 09:04 PM
when I get a break down of schools, one of the categories is free-reduced lunch kids. Someone is comparing, because the school is getting federal money if you receive Title I money

Yes, this is true - because they (Fed) are subsidizing the school to give these economically disadvantaged students lunches - but what I was saying is that I don't believe the Newsweek list is comparing Subsidized/Free Lunch students to Non-Subsidized students, the list is just showing the socioeconomic state of the school that is ranked

PrideTrombone
7/31/2006, 09:20 PM
Booker T. Washington is the Tulsa area school on the list???? Riiiiight.

On a side note, one of my best friends is the choir director at #76.

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 10:24 PM
Notice Highland Park High in Dallas has 0 subsidized lunch kids? heh.

47straight
8/2/2006, 01:11 AM
Notice Highland Park High in Dallas has 0 subsidized lunch kids? heh.

I noticed that too. It's illegal to be poor there... as in you have to leave, not as in they're gonna pass the hat. :)

Frozen Sooner
8/2/2006, 01:28 AM
Hm. 1236 listed and not a single one from Alaska. Now, I'm not saying that my alma mater is one of the top 1000 in America, but surely it's one of the top 1236...

SOONER44EVER
8/2/2006, 03:02 AM
My neighbor's daughter graduated from Classen, got a degree from OSU and is currently working at Starbucks. :D

Ike
8/2/2006, 09:09 AM
Rock on. My mom has been teaching at classen for the last 10 or 12 years or so.