PDA

View Full Version : IF the Sonics move to OKC they should

Pages : [1] 2

stoopified
7/31/2006, 07:14 PM
change their nickname.Nicknames for long-standing teams belong to the city of their birth IMHO.I mean Utah Jazz does NOT sound right at all.Baltimore should still be the Colts,Arizona should be the Firebirds or Thunderbirds not the Cardinals.St. Louis Rams? Gag.I have to admit however that Los angeles Lakers and Golden State Warriors does not bother me because I have no memory of them being in Minneapolis and Philly respectively.

Most importantly there needs to be a nickname change to make them part of Oklahoma,not refugees from the Northwest.Add to that that OKC or Oklahoma Sonics just plain ain't right.

Instead I favor a more fitting name for the team.My first choice would be The Warponies,a salute to our Native American heritage.Knowing that in this era of PC that this could be considered an etnic slur,my second choice is The Stallions,fierce proud animals that helped settle the west..Anyhow that is my thinking,any other schools of thought are welcome. Another thought just occured to me,how about F 'ING Hillbillys? :D

PrideTrombone
7/31/2006, 07:22 PM
WarPonies?

Makes me think of these...
http://sooner.nmn.speedera.net/pics24/0/JG/JGQCTSWEWTULGMD.20050922204010.jpg

Big Red Ron
7/31/2006, 07:26 PM
What ever the name ends up being, it will be the Oklahoma City _____. I've been a part of some meetings in the last few years where city leaders are tired of selling our City short by calling our teams "Oklahoma"______.

I think the Sonics name fits nicely with Tinker AFB down the road and the fast food chain HQ down the street.

Plus, I'm afraid of what we'll end up with. Keep it the Sonics for me.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/31/2006, 07:38 PM
I say keep the nickname change the logo.

badger
7/31/2006, 08:01 PM
IF the Sonics move to OKC they should... MAKE RAY ALLEN THE STAR OF THEIR AD CAMPAIGNS!

As a transplant badger in Oklahoma originally from Wisconsin, it was saddest day of this Bucks' fandom days when they traded Ray Allen, superstar of basketball and movies alike, to the Sonics for three months of Gary Payton. Booo.

I mean, I grew to love Glenn Robinson, despite the lack of defense. I grew to love Sam Cassell despite his mouth. Vin Baker was an All Star before he was a recovering alcoholic in Milwaukee. I loved them all like a true fan of the team that gave Chicago its 70-win record--- but I loved Ray Allen the most.

PLEEEEASE bring Ray Allen to OKC. I promise that you will love him too. He's not some arrogant smirky guard like some pictures may lead you to believe. He's a star AND he's likable.

Captain Obvious
8/14/2006, 08:42 PM
keep Sonics.

Rule: Never change the nickname if there are championships attached.

Fact: I will puke if we change any nickname to reflect very unhip heritage or Okieness (read: oilers or cowboys). Sonics is cool. Hornets=cool. 89ers? Not so much. War ponies? Nice effort, at least. Unique.

King Crimson
8/14/2006, 09:28 PM
Sonics is alright. i don't want to see some ad firm get paid a brazilion dollars to do "focus groups" and come up with some inevitable bull**** like "the rattlers"...and some logo that makes you want to forgo life.

Paperclip
8/15/2006, 08:37 AM
IF the Sonics move to OKC they should... MAKE RAY ALLEN THE STAR OF THEIR AD CAMPAIGNS!

I'm still mad at him for "He Got Game". Ugh.

poke4christ
8/15/2006, 12:44 PM
Agreed, they need a new name, I just don't know what it would be. Maybe the Tornados, Twisters, cyclones, ect. Maybe the Red (like red dirt, the sooners are crimson, not red), but that's pushing it. Who knows, just let it be somthing oklahoma.

Zach

poke4christ
8/15/2006, 12:47 PM
WarPonies?

Sorry, but I don't think there's any "war" associated with those ponies. Better stick to the scooner.

Did they redesign them at all after the uproar from the fans? If not, are there plans to?

Zach

jdsooner
8/15/2006, 01:44 PM
Oklahoma City Cowpies is my suggestion!
The mascot would look so cool!

kbsooner
8/16/2006, 11:54 AM
Sonics already have too good of a corporate tie in at Bricktown. Here is the new mascot sans the chili and cheese.

http://www.landmarkcreations.com/product_images/C0003.jpg

stoopified
8/17/2006, 01:06 PM
Sonics already have too good of a corporate tie in at Bricktown. Here is the new mascot sans the chili and cheese.

http://www.landmarkcreations.com/product_images/C0003.jpgGag. That is one major reason for changing the nickname .I have notning against Sonic Drive In but I just don't like any tie-in to a burger place.Dancing corn dogs,hotdogs and burgers make a lame macot.

I stand by original suggestion of Warponies(or Warhorses although most references to mounted Indian warriors seem to favor warponies over warhorses.I also like Stallions but in any case in no way do I favor goofy looking mascots like OUr administration came up with.I want an OKLAHOMA name for our OKLAHOMA team.Anyone got any other Ideas?

the_ouskull
8/18/2006, 11:28 PM
WarPonies?

Those...

...things...

aren't "WarPonies," they're HorsePigs.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
8/18/2006, 11:30 PM
I'm still mad at him for "He Got Game". Ugh.

He might not be the best actor in the world, but that was a good movie. I'm gonna go and brush my teeth now for saying that about a "Spike Lee Joint," but it was...

the_ouskull

stoopified
8/21/2006, 08:55 AM
C'mon skull,don't you have any ideas for a new nickname?The biggest thing IMHO is to choose a nickname that doesn't mirror OU or OSU for the obvious devisive reasons.That is why my first choice is Warponies and my Second is Stallions.Nicknames that I thought of and discarded were:Ranchands,Drovers ,Wranglers( too close to cowpukes),Rattlers( Imagine the mascot),Tumbleweeds( perpetuates Dust- Bowlimage)Plainsmen,Frontiersman( both dull-sounding.Theother nickname I came up with was the Marshals,in honor of those long-ago lawmen in Oklahoma Territory known as the Guardsmen.My brain is too sluggish to reacll the individual names of these men.

My final thought is that the nickname should be the OKLAHOMA_______ as opposed to the Oklahoma City ________ because ut will take the whole state to support a MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM.I think this was proven by the Hornets and their statewide support.

Augusta_Sooner
8/21/2006, 11:26 AM
I like the name Tornados; I also like Storm, Stallions, Thunder.

OKLAHOMA THUNDER!

King Crimson
8/21/2006, 12:33 PM
vomit.

stick with the Sonics. and you get nice assonance with City and Sonics. and I'm sure crafty ad/marketing people could work the Tinker AFB thing in.

I fear what marketing people with a blank slate and a big budget would come up with.....c'mon people, don't get too heady with this.

plus, the NBA sucks out loud.

GDC
8/21/2006, 12:49 PM
It's going to be hilarious when any OKC NBA team goes belly-up when they start selling tickets at actual league prices.

King Crimson
8/21/2006, 12:56 PM
It's going to be hilarious when any OKC NBA team goes belly-up when they start selling tickets at actual league prices.

or wins 20 games a couple years in a row....and no one shows up anymore.

Pricetag
8/21/2006, 01:14 PM
What ever the name ends up being, it will be the Oklahoma City _____. I've been a part of some meetings in the last few years where city leaders are tired of selling our City short by calling our teams "Oklahoma"______.

Please. You mofos still owe us for the Oklahoma Outlaws.

Come to think of it, "Oklahoma Mofos" is pretty catchy.

Paperclip
8/21/2006, 01:58 PM
I'm sure crafty ad/marketing people could work the Tinker AFB thing in.

Well, hopefully they would realize that "Oklahoma City Bombers" would be an immensely poor decision.

Harry Beanbag
8/21/2006, 05:17 PM
vomit.

stick with the Sonics. and you get nice assonance with City and Sonics. and I'm sure crafty ad/marketing people could work the Tinker AFB thing in.

I fear what marketing people with a blank slate and a big budget would come up with.....c'mon people, don't get too heady with this.

plus, the NBA sucks out loud.

Amen.

stoopified
8/21/2006, 05:17 PM
or wins 20 games a couple years in a row....and no one shows up anymore.gdc and KC,this IS our first shot at OUR OWN major league team and it amazes me that y'all would take such a negative attitude in this situation.You are talking about how bad Oklahoma would look if things go badly and how the support would disappear.It is a crying shame you can't tthink about how good we as a stae will look IF we get the Seattle franchise and are a sucess.

If this IS your attitude,it does make me wonder where y'all were in the Bl@ke years.Personally I was in the stands praying that we would be delivered,as were around 50,00 others.

Basketball is the one sport that OU,OSU,ORU,and TU fans all support.If OU fans can show up in the dark years,OSU fans can continue year after year to support gridiron losers,Hurricane fans endure year after year of losing;what makes anyone think that many of those same fans who are basketball fans as well will all turn their backs on a state NBA team?

In the end I will concede that you may be right.Personally I hope the state of OKLAHOMA gets the chance to prove you wrong.

VicePresOfMuldrow
8/23/2006, 11:45 PM
I'm a die hard sonics fan, and I would love to see them in OKC, but they should stay in Seattle, they're a staple franchise and have brought a title to Seattle!

GDC
8/24/2006, 07:50 AM
gdc and KC,this IS our first shot at OUR OWN major league team and it amazes me that y'all would take such a negative attitude in this situation.You are talking about how bad Oklahoma would look if things go badly and how the support would disappear.It is a crying shame you can't tthink about how good we as a stae will look IF we get the Seattle franchise and are a sucess.

If this IS your attitude,it does make me wonder where y'all were in the Bl@ke years.Personally I was in the stands praying that we would be delivered,as were around 50,00 others.

Basketball is the one sport that OU,OSU,ORU,and TU fans all support.If OU fans can show up in the dark years,OSU fans can continue year after year to support gridiron losers,Hurricane fans endure year after year of losing;what makes anyone think that many of those same fans who are basketball fans as well will all turn their backs on a state NBA team?

In the end I will concede that you may be right.Personally I hope the state of OKLAHOMA gets the chance to prove you wrong.

I resent that my tax dollars are going toward a team, facility, and/or league I have no interest in or use for, and they are hurting the Sooner basketball team.

badger
8/24/2006, 12:20 PM
I resent that my tax dollars are going toward a team, facility, and/or league I have no interest in or use for, and they are hurting the Sooner basketball team.

There are few conflicts... less than five, I'd say. Having Chris Paul hang around our guys (who are relatively the same age) is probably a good thing for our players-- it gives them a future professional career to shoot for.

CNC4OU
8/24/2006, 01:03 PM
I think a name change is in order. Let Seattle keep all those memories and the name for a future franchise. Let's change the colors too......OKC Natives, OKC Indians (if cleveland can get away with it, we should be able to), OKC Thunderbirds (ties in with Native legends and the 45th), OKC Twisters, OKC Rain (Hey, the heat works in miami), I like the Stallions, a matchup between the Stallions and the Mavericks......OKC Colts.....

Big Red Ron
8/24/2006, 01:10 PM
I'm for removing the K in "OKC." We could be OC whatever but have a similar interlocking OC as out beloved OU.

SoonerStud615
8/24/2006, 04:16 PM
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2826/thunderbirdsls3.png

Paperclip
8/24/2006, 04:19 PM
http://www.slocartoon.net/slike/opisi_serij/thunderbirds/thunderbirds_1.jpg

VicePresOfMuldrow
8/25/2006, 02:56 PM
OKC thunderbirds...that just slays me... SONICS FOREVER!

OKC Sooner
8/25/2006, 03:42 PM
How about naming them for something Oklahoma always has... The Wind.

If they got really good at fast breaks, we could call them the Breaking Wind! :D

BigRedJed
8/25/2006, 06:47 PM
Don't get too caught up in this conversation guys. I'd say the chances of the Sonics moving here is WELL below 50%. Seriously. It's more likely that we'll have the Hornets back here in a few years, or an expansion team.

And, there is all but ZERO chance the Sonics will be here '07-'08. The best chance of that happening would be for something on the scale of Katrina happen to Seattle. Pretty unlikely, and pretty undesirable. In fact, there is just slightly more than zero chance that there will be ANY NBA franchise in OKC in '07-'08.

That said, I want to respond to the pricing issue, although I'm getting tired of doing it. The ticket prices for the Hornets are ALREADY league prices. Suggesting otherwise demonstrates a pretty shallow knowledge of the subject. Yes, Knicks, Lakers, Heat, even Mavericks tickets are often twice what OKC's tickets are. But there are only about a half dozen teams that are actually above the league average price. They set the curve with really huge prices. Glamour teams in huge cities.

Nearly every other team is in the same range we are in. Hell, we don't even have the cheapest ticket in the league. Our average ticket is only a few dollars less than DETROIT, who leads the league in attendance (through cheap ticket prices and a huge arena).

One of the things that will allow OKC's tickets to stay low for the foreseeable future is that the arena is completely paid for, thanks to MAPS. This allows the city to give it away, rent free, to a major league franchise. They can share in concessions and still make as much money as most cities, who are typically servicing arena debts in the hundreds of millions.

Seriously. These ticket prices aren't artificial, and will probably always be in a similar range. It's one of the reasons the NBA now knows a team will work here.

BigRedJed
8/25/2006, 07:03 PM
Follow-up: my info was based on research I did in answer to this question last year, and based on '04-'05 prices. When the Hornets moved to OKC, the rent deal allowed them to lower ticket prices, and they are now below $30 average price. This is $6 and change less than Detroit, but you'll notice premium ticket prices are actually higher than the Motor City.

Even at the lower prices enabled by the free rent, the Hornets are still five bucks higher than Golden State, who has the cheapest ticket. Note we are only a few dollars behind Seattle, who has an ATROCIOUS lease.

The average ticket price for Hornets games went up for this season, after they understood the fans would be there. I suspect it will now be over 30. No worries, though; season ticket sales this season are UP from last year.

Also, more teams are above the league average this year, but still only 13. The average ticket is $45.92. The Lakers are nearly $80 by themselves. The teams at the high end skew the number significantly.

But seriously, our tickets aren't out of line, and will always remain at the low end due to the rent situation.

BigRedJed
8/25/2006, 07:03 PM
Sorry, I meant to include my source on this one: http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_nba_05-06.cfm

SoonerStud615
8/25/2006, 11:14 PM
Sorry, I meant to include my source on this one: http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_nba_05-06.cfm
we also had some of the highest concessions prices through the league. look at the beer price-oz ratio.

BigRedJed
8/25/2006, 11:39 PM
Didn't seem to bother Rhett Bomar. Of course, he was apparently doing OK financially.

stoopified
8/26/2006, 08:33 AM
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2826/thunderbirdsls3.pngCool.I'm on board.

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 12:07 PM
Well then, you'll be pleased to know that not one penny of your tax dollars went to support the Hornets or the NBA last season. In fact, the city of OKC and the state of Oklahoma will actually see a CASH PROFIT paid to them, not in sales tax revenue, but in local revenue (ticket sales, advertising, etc.) sharing. The city, state and private partners are being reimbursed for all expenses they incurred when bringing the Hornets here, and then all proceeds beyond that are split between those parties and the team itself. As a taxpayer, the Hornets actually made you money last year.

Linky (http://www.okc.gov/news/2005_09/hornets_terms.html)

clambe00
8/28/2006, 12:43 PM
sounds good

GDC
8/28/2006, 12:47 PM
Well then, you'll be pleased to know that not one penny of your tax dollars went to support the Hornets or the NBA last season. In fact, the city of OKC and the state of Oklahoma will actually see a CASH PROFIT paid to them, not in sales tax revenue, but in local revenue (ticket sales, advertising, etc.) sharing. The city, state and private partners are being reimbursed for all expenses they incurred when bringing the Hornets here, and then all proceeds beyond that are split between those parties and the team itself. As a taxpayer, the Hornets actually made you money last year.

Linky (http://www.okc.gov/news/2005_09/hornets_terms.html)

I'm glad, but it still wasn't right to put up our tax dollars as a hedge to guarantee they didn't lose their asses.

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 01:33 PM
Well, I disagree. Doing so allowed Oklahoma City to move into the rare air of cities with major league teams.

During the season, we saw incredibly good press from outlets such as the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, the Philadelphia Enquirer, The Sacremento Bee and others. We were mentioned in the same breath with cities like New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Philly, Chicago and others innumerable times on ESPN and national news outlets.

We are now on the radar of people nationwide who probably couldn't have even found OKC on a map before this. Many of these people are business decision makers who might now take a harder look at OKC when expanding, moving or starting a business, based on the positive things they've now heard about our business climate, thanks to the NBA.

Meanwhile, we were actually making a profit, unlike most if not all of the other cities in the NBA.

Seems like a pretty good deal for a worst-case scenario $3 million risk (worst case meaning OKC would have had to underperform BELOW NOLA, which would have been very unlikely) to the city of OKC.

You literally can't buy that type of pub, except that we did just that. Except, in the end, they actually paid us.

GDC
8/28/2006, 02:07 PM
Well, I disagree. Doing so allowed Oklahoma City to move into the rare air of cities with major league teams.

My point is that basically OKC was the only beneficiary of this whole thing, and yet the entire state was on the hook financially. Any longterm NBA franchise is doomed.

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 03:00 PM
My point is that basically OKC was the only beneficiary of this whole thing, and yet the entire state was on the hook financially. Any longterm NBA franchise is doomed.
So, the state of Oklahoma doesn't benefit financially when OKC achieves major-league status and sees increased economic development based on said status? The city of Oklahoma City is, frankly, THE economic engine that drives this state.

During the 1950s there was a saying: "as goes General Motors, so goes the nation," meaning the country's fortunes were intrinsically tied to those of what at the time was its largest corporation. I believe that Oklahoma's well-being is perhaps even more dependant upon the economic success of its largest city.

As for the idea that any longterm NBA franchise in OKC is doomed, I say based on what evidence? Heck, a year ago most people didn't believe OKC could even turn out half a house for an NBA game. All we did was see top 10 attendance, top five corporate sponsorship levels, top five group sales...

Granted, at some point the honeymoon will probably wane, but even if attendance and coporate support fell into the bottom third of the league, it's still in the league. Frankly, that's unlikely because a lot of the cities we're competing against have multiple franchises bidding for sports fans' dollars. Additionally, NONE of them have the ability to provide the rent deal we do without going into the red.

If you don't like the NBA being here because you just don't like the league, that's OK. If you resent that it competes with OU basketball, I feel your pain as an OU basketball ticketholder. I'll point out that OU officials claimed to be unconcerned about this.

But if you think the NBA is bad for OKC because OKC can't play at that level, I strongly, vehemently disagree. I ask you again, based on what evidence? The facts on this one, at least to this point, are strongly in my favor.

GDC
8/28/2006, 03:33 PM
If you don't like the NBA being here because you just don't like the league, that's OK. If you resent that it competes with OU basketball, I feel your pain as an OU basketball ticketholder. I'll point out that OU officials claimed to be unconcerned about this.

But if you think the NBA is bad for OKC because OKC can't play at that level, I strongly, vehemently disagree. I ask you again, based on what evidence? The facts on this one, at least to this point, are strongly in my favor.

All of the above:D

I just don't think the support is going to be there when the new wears off and the ticket prices are normal for the NBA. This would also be true in Tulsa, IMO.

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 03:54 PM
Cool. We'll just see what transpires. In case you couldn't tell, I totally disagree with your take. :D

It'll be a few years before we know one way or the other. Like I've said in this and other threads, there's almost no chance the NBA is here next year, and each year after there's a progressively better chance. And, again like I've stated, we're very likely to have a team in '08-'09. So let's give it some time to work itself out, and then to see if the honeymoon wears off after what, 2-3 years?

So, providing we have a team in '08-'09, let's say you and I meet back here in 2011. We'll see what the status is at that point. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you dinner at Mickey Mantles. If you're wrong, you have to wear whorn gear to work for one week.

GDC
8/28/2006, 03:55 PM
Cool. We'll just see what transpires. In case you couldn't tell, I totally disagree with your take. :D

It'll be a few years before we know one way or the other. Like I've said in this and other threads, there's almost no chance the NBA is here next year, and each year after there's a progressively better chance. And, again like I've stated, we're very likely to have a team in '08-'09. So let's give it some time to work itself out, and then to see if the honeymoon wears off after what, 2-3 years?

So, providing we have a team in '08-'09, let's say you and I meet back here in 2011. We'll see what the status is at that point. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you dinner at Mickey Mantles. If you're wrong, you have to wear whorn gear to work for one week.

Will do.

BigRedJed
8/28/2006, 04:07 PM
GDC'S GONNA WEAR WHORN GEAR!!!

GDC
8/28/2006, 09:05 PM
GDC'S GONNA WEAR WHORN GEAR!!!

Oh man, I missed that part.:O

CobraKai
9/5/2006, 03:51 PM
The city of Oklahoma City is, frankly, THE economic engine that drives this state.

Since when? Obviously during the oil boom this was far from the case. During the .COM boom Tulsa had about 70% of the state's high tech revenues (http://www.secureagent.com/nytimesarticle.htm). Oklahoma City has and always will have a more stable economy, with the state government, Tinker, and OU jobs, but to say that Oklahoma City's economy drives the state is short-sighted IMO. Over the last 100 years Tulsa's economy has been in that driver's seat for at least as many years.

BigRedJed
9/5/2006, 04:23 PM
...Over the last 100 years Tulsa's economy has been in that driver's seat for at least as many years.
Which is exactly why Tulsa now has penis envy.

CobraKai
9/5/2006, 04:36 PM
Which is exactly why Tulsa now has penis envy.

Absolutely. And why OKC's many many years of penis envy are now being unleashed in a rage of "How ya like me now" fury.

Before everyone jumps on me I prefer OKC to Tulsa. I've lived in both places and hope to someday settle in the OKC area again. However, I am an Oklahoma native first and foremost, and I don't like seeing Tulsa OR OKC badmouthed by fellow Oklahomans or anyone else, hence my tendency to always insert myself into the Tulsa v. OKC arguments that start about once per month on this board.

Also, my vote is to call it the OKC Sonics. I agree that you don't chabnge a name with championships associated with it, and that "State" nicknames such as Arizona Cardinals are lame.

BigRedJed
9/5/2006, 04:54 PM
Well, if you check my posts, I think you'll find that, besides my good-natured banter with bri, I am ALWAYS on the side of Tulsa succeeding. I think for Oklahoma to be dynamic, both cities have to be innovative and successful.

The problem is, Tulsa has stagnated, while OKC is now taking the lead in our state, and has for the past decade. Hence, my postulation that OKC is the economic engine that drives Oklahoma. It is what it is.

Hopefully, Tulsa gets it turned around. There are signs that they are doing so. For true change to happen, they're probably going to need some political upheaval. Believe me, there aren't too many people pulling for Tulsa more than I am, because I understand its importance to the state.

49r
9/6/2006, 02:46 PM
Whether it happens or not and whether they want to change the name or not. I just hope to God it ends in an "S" like "Tigers" or "Panthers" or "Rump Rangers" or "Mustangs"...something like that.

The recent insanity towards naming pro sports teams without an "S" like "Fire" or "Revolution" or "Magic" is totally bush-league, IMO.

CobraKai
9/6/2006, 09:01 PM
Maybe it could be called the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Cityans, taking it the next step from what Houston did???

Okie23
9/6/2006, 10:42 PM
I live just a few miles north of Seattle. I've always said if a Seattle teams moves I'd want it to go back to my home state.

CobraKai
9/7/2006, 07:43 AM
Well, if you check my posts, I think you'll find that, besides my good-natured banter with bri, I am ALWAYS on the side of Tulsa succeeding. I think for Oklahoma to be dynamic, both cities have to be innovative and successful.

The problem is, Tulsa has stagnated, while OKC is now taking the lead in our state, and has for the past decade. Hence, my postulation that OKC is the economic engine that drives Oklahoma. It is what it is.

Hopefully, Tulsa gets it turned around. There are signs that they are doing so. For true change to happen, they're probably going to need some political upheaval. Believe me, there aren't too many people pulling for Tulsa more than I am, because I understand its importance to the state.

Agreed on all points...especially the need for political upheaval.

GDC
9/7/2006, 08:01 AM
1. NBA

Oklahoma City lied. It said there was a big league sport in town.

There isn't.

A big league sport is the best of its type.

The NBA is a third-rate league off a bronze medal in the world games.

It's undisciplined street ball with a bunch of suckers paying top dollar for silly dunks.

Not even heaven's gift to basketball, Coach K of Duke, could coax these glory hogs into defending or passing.

Excuse-makers say the USA lost the game it invented because of different rules.

Yeah, the Golden Rule: other teams share..

Big Red Ron
9/7/2006, 08:22 PM
Tulsa is like Guess Jeans and Oklahoma City are Levi's.

Tulsa is "Devo." Oklahoma City is Led Zepplin.

Tulsa = KSU football-OKC = OU football

Tulsa = Sour patch kids-OKC M&M's

Getting the picture? Tulsa is okay but OKC has moved so far ahead that Tulsa should keep an eye on Witchatitay for competition.

:D

als12179
9/12/2006, 01:40 AM
If you want a name that personifies OK, then they should be the Fighting Gary Englands.

stoopified
9/12/2006, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=BigRedJed]Well, I disagree. Doing so allowed Oklahoma City to move into the rare air of cities with major league teams.

During the season, we saw incredibly good press from outlets such as the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, the Philadelphia Enquirer, The Sacremento Bee and others. We were mentioned in the same breath with cities like New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Philly, Chicago and others innumerable times on ESPN and national news outlets.

We are now on the radar of people nationwide who probably couldn't have even found OKC on a map before this. Many of these people are business decision makers who might now take a harder look at OKC when expanding, moving or starting a business, based on the positive things they've now heard about our business climate, thanks to the NBA.

Meanwhile, we were actually making a profit, unlike most if not all of the other cities in the NBA.

Seems like a pretty good deal for a worst-case scenario $3 million risk (worst case meaning OKC would have had to underperform BELOW NOLA, which would have been very unlikely) to the city of OKC.

True words indeed.

reevie
9/12/2006, 07:41 PM
Maybe it could be called the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Cityans, taking it the next step from what Houston did???

Maybe we could have them steal the name from that soccer team here in the 80's.....the Oklahoma City Slickers

stoopified
3/7/2008, 02:49 PM
Now that we are on the NBA doorstep (with passage of the funding for Ford Center renovation)I thought this might be time to renew this thread.

Any more suggestions for team names since it appears that the Sonics name will stay in Seattle?

Jimminy Crimson
3/7/2008, 03:22 PM
89ers? Not so much.

You serious, Clark? :confused:

Jimminy Crimson
3/7/2008, 03:27 PM
Oklahoma City Rush

You could go land run with it or the oil biz.

BigRedJed
3/7/2008, 03:32 PM
One of the Oklahoman's sports columnists suggested Thunderbirds the other day.

Jimminy Crimson
3/7/2008, 03:34 PM
One of the Oklahoman's sports columnists suggested Thunderbirds the other day.

BT. I wouldn't be opposed to it. One of his arguments, though, was that it would be easy to make headlines with different variations of Thunderbirds. :rolleyes:

silverwheels
3/7/2008, 03:40 PM
The Noodlers.

Civicus_Sooner
3/7/2008, 03:51 PM
We'll most likely have to leave the Supersonics name in Seattle as part of a settlement or by court order.

I'm like Mick, I don't care what the second half of the name is, as long as Oklahoma City is the first part of the name.

I do hope we can do better than Bobcats.

NormanPride
3/7/2008, 04:45 PM
Wildcats!

I've always liked "Dirt Burglers" as well. But my real vote goes to something honoring the Native American heritage. Maybe a Native American word for "wind" or "storm".

Collier11
3/7/2008, 05:34 PM
Oklahoma City Indian Casino's?

Grimey
3/7/2008, 05:39 PM
If you want a name that personifies OK, then they should be the Fighting Gary Englands.

Oklahoma City Methbusters (http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu9W4w9FHMGwBeCRXNyoA?p=oklahoma+me th&y=Search&fr=yfp-t-501&ei=UTF-8)

Eielson
3/7/2008, 06:18 PM
Los Angeles Rams?

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but they used to be the LA Rams before moving to St. Louis.

yermom
3/7/2008, 06:20 PM
they didn't start in LA...

sooner2b09
3/7/2008, 07:55 PM
How about The Oklahoma City "We are a big league city!" I mean we already have the posters printed and out. Saves us a few bucks

birddog
3/7/2008, 08:00 PM
someone in the paper suggested thunderbirds. meh.

and it better be oklahoma city. okc voted and it's the city's team.

tommieharris91
3/7/2008, 08:01 PM
Oklahoma City Goonerz??

birddog
3/7/2008, 08:03 PM
scissor tailed fly catchers.

birddog
3/7/2008, 08:07 PM
in all seriousness, it's really hard to come up with something cool and original.

i'd like Reds if it wasn't for cincinnati.

jccouger
3/7/2008, 09:48 PM
Roserocks

bluedogok
3/7/2008, 10:05 PM
Maybe I'm not reading this right, but they used to be the LA Rams before moving to St. Louis.

Yep, from 1936-1945 they were the Cleveland Rams. I think names should stay in the cities like it did with the Browns.

It would be hard to do that now since he is a Boston Celtic....

Eielson
3/7/2008, 10:08 PM

Well, they started in Cleveland. I didn't know there were many around before the 1946 move, though.

SoonerShark
3/10/2008, 06:16 PM
The Oklahoma City Tisdales
The Oklahoma Kitty Lickers
The Fightin' Whities. I give us permission to use my race as a mascot. (Normally, whities, friars, padres, Irish, pirates, cowboys, raiders, drillers, buccaneers, rough riders, 49ers, 89ers, Texans, Sooners and the like all stereotype predominantly Caucasian racial groups and should not be used.)

King Crimson
3/10/2008, 07:12 PM
stick with the Sonics i say. or the OKC CFS.

Vegas Sooner
3/10/2008, 09:05 PM
....remind people the name of the team. I have a strong feeling people will wear jerseys for teams that aren't even playing. Look for all of the Kobe and Mavs jerseys to pop up in the first game. -not to mention all of the OU and OSU clothing.

Jimminy Crimson
3/11/2008, 12:31 AM
....remind people the name of the team. I have a strong feeling people will wear jerseys for teams that aren't even playing. Look for all of the Kobe and Mavs jerseys to pop up in the first game. -not to mention all of the OU and OSU clothing.

You underestimate the OKC NBA fans... At every single Hornets game (even the very first preseason game) fans were decked out in teal, purple & gold of all sorts. Jerseys, shirts, hats, etc. Granted, whenever any decent team came through, there were a number of fans in Pistons, Mavs, Celtics, Lakers, etc jerseys, they were FAR outnumbered by fans cheering on their HOMETOWN HORNETS!

It's very common to still see people in their Hornets gear in the OKC.

RedStripe
3/11/2008, 12:18 PM
For the nay sayers the okc taxers

Mudskipper
3/11/2008, 03:31 PM
Any new name will probably sound goofy until it's been around a while....until it becomes natural...

Big Red Ron
3/11/2008, 10:35 PM
The Oklahoma City Boomers

The Oklahoma City Rush

The Oklahoma City Storm

The Oklahoma City Bandits

OUstud
3/11/2008, 10:37 PM
Oklahoma City Starbucks.

As a way of saying "thank you" to Schultz selling the team.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 10:37 PM
OKC Thunder/Lightening...

Big Red Ron
3/11/2008, 10:39 PM
OKC Thunder/Lightening...OKC Bolts/ Chargers

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 10:40 PM
Do you mean the Thunder or the Lightning, or the Thunder/Lightning? 'Cause that would be a new twist.

I seriously was about to type "Lightning" when I refreshed and saw your answer. Great minds think alike I guess. Or I'm drunk. Either one.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 10:41 PM
Do you mean the Thunder or the Lightning, or the Thunder/Lightning? 'Cause that would be a new twist.

I seriously was about to type "Lightning" when I refreshed and saw your answer. Great minds think alike I guess. Or I'm drunk. Either one.

Lightning...agreed..

BigRedJed
3/11/2008, 10:42 PM
Or maybe you meant "Lightening," as in more white guys on the team? They already have a nice head start on goofy white dudes with Collison and Ridnour.

Soonerus
3/11/2008, 10:44 PM
Or maybe you meant "Lightening," as in more white guys on the team? They already have a nice head start on goofy white dudes with Collison and Ridnour.

intent previously stated...

BigRedJed
Holy crap. I forgot about Robert Swift.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_robert_swift.jpg

BigRedJed
Maybe Lightening WOULD be better.

silverwheels
3/11/2008, 10:48 PM
Or maybe you meant "Lightening," as in more white guys on the team?

We'd definitely see a lot of 3's at the Ford Center.

KC//CRIMSON
3/12/2008, 09:21 PM
Good grief, you guys would screw up a wet dream.

Just keep Sonics for god's sakes.

Readyfor8
3/12/2008, 10:07 PM

Just keep Sonics for god's sakes.

They probably won't be able to keep Sonics, because the law suit will probably be upheld and Seattle wants this move to cost OKC as much as possible. Keeping the name would save us a ton, no new gear, the franchise has a championship, and no new marketing campaign.

If they rename the team, name them something generic. Build tradition with performance not with a name... Anything Indian is crap in my opinion and out done (everyone has Indian heritage in America, they were here first after all), and anything western is out dated.

Name it for something that represents the growth we have made as a city, or something modern that has to do with OKC. How about the OKC Boomers, or the OKC millennium, hell the OKC Future is better than the "War Ponies" or "Stallions" or "Thunderbirds." OKC Metro's

KC//CRIMSON
3/12/2008, 10:16 PM
They probably won't be able to keep Sonics, because the law suit will probably be upheld and Seattle wants this move to cost OKC as much as possible. Keeping the name would save us a ton, no new gear, the franchise has a championship, and no new marketing campaign.

If they rename the team, name them something generic. Build tradition with performance not with a name... Anything Indian is crap in my opinion and out done (everyone has Indian heritage in America, they were here first after all), and anything western is out dated.

Name it for something that represents the growth we have made as a city, or something modern that has to do with OKC. How about the OKC Boomers, or the OKC millennium, hell the OKC Future is better than the "War Ponies" or "Stallions" or "Thunderbirds." OKC Metro's

Yeah, I can see renaming them for said reasons. However, I cringe at the thought of even considering anything with "Boomer" in the name.

That is a staple nickname so to speak of the local college football team. Not a good idea IMO.

Readyfor8
3/12/2008, 11:23 PM
That's true but the idea is solid I think, name it after something that reminds them the city is Booming, and the City is growing... But the OKC Grower's doesn't sound too good.

dw17
3/12/2008, 11:28 PM
I liked Berry's argument but te Thunderbirds remind me of cheap wine. It just doesn't sound great.

How about the Skeeters.

:D

dw17
3/12/2008, 11:29 PM
Or the Oklahoma City Junebugs

silverwheels
3/12/2008, 11:30 PM
We could go Europe all over their asses and name the team "Oklahoma City B.C." for "Basketball Club".

jccouger
3/12/2008, 11:39 PM
OKC BC

I like it!

birddog
3/13/2008, 12:22 AM
lightning is the name of the women's football team in okc.

no can do.

birddog
3/13/2008, 12:23 AM
what about color scheme? do we have to keep the green and gold?

it'd be nice to have navy as the primary color. you don't see too many nba teams with it.

SoonerKnight
3/13/2008, 01:49 AM
OKC Prarie Dogs!!!

:D J/K

Jimminy Crimson
3/13/2008, 02:28 AM
what about color scheme? do we have to keep the green and gold?

it'd be nice to have navy as the primary color. you don't see too many nba teams with it.

The green & gold would more than likely stay with Seattle, if the team name was a bargaining chip in the settlement.

Absolutely NO about the primary navy. TOO many teams use it... Atlanta, Cleveland, Dallas, Golden State, Indiana, Memphis, New Jersey, and Utah. I might be forgetting a couple.

My favorite name would be the Oklahoma City Rush (using the oil tie-in, as opposed to the land run) with the colors Oklahoma Crude (a grahpite color), Bricktown Red (a dark red/clay <heh> color, much like the RedHawks shade), and Blue Flame (think the color of the Oklahoma flag, and also a natural gas flame, like your pilot light).

As for the mascot, I think either our state animal (bison) or state furbearing animal (raccoon) would do the trick.

SoonerKnight
3/13/2008, 04:44 AM
How is the bison the state animal? I don't think I ever saw bison in oklahoma.

Big Red Ron
3/13/2008, 07:28 AM

Just keep Sonics for god's sakes.Haven't been paying attention have ya?

Big Red Ron
3/13/2008, 07:37 AM
http://www.okonline.com/assets/images/bison2.gif

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/b/b7/180px-American_bison_k5680-1.jpg

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/IMAGES/Oklahoma/Bison_ownby380.jpg

Jimminy Crimson
3/13/2008, 02:29 PM

State Animal: Bison
State Game Bird: Wild Turkey
State Furbearer Animal: Raccoon
State Reptile: Mountain Boomer
State Game Animal: Whitetail Deer
State Insect: Honeybee
State Flying Mammal: Mexican Freetail Bat
State Butterfly: Black Swallowtail
State Bird: Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
State Fish: White Bass

silverwheels
3/13/2008, 02:32 PM
"Rush" makes me think of Arena Football.

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 02:33 PM
The Oklahoma City Freetails!

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 02:33 PM
Wait...

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 02:34 PM
State Animal: Bison
State Game Bird: Wild Turkey
State Furbearer Animal: Raccoon
State Reptile: Mountain Boomer
State Game Animal: Whitetail Deer
State Insect: Honeybee
State Flying Mammal: Mexican Freetail Bat
State Butterfly: Black Swallowtail
State Bird: Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
State Fish: White Bass
Apparently we're pretty obsessed with tail here in Oklahoma.

birddog
3/13/2008, 02:36 PM
The green & gold would more than likely stay with Seattle, if the team name was a bargaining chip in the settlement.

Absolutely NO about the primary navy. TOO many teams use it... Atlanta, Cleveland, Dallas, Golden State, Indiana, Memphis, New Jersey, and Utah. I might be forgetting a couple.

My favorite name would be the Oklahoma City Rush (using the oil tie-in, as opposed to the land run) with the colors Oklahoma Crude (a grahpite color), Bricktown Red (a dark red/clay <heh> color, much like the RedHawks shade), and Blue Flame (think the color of the Oklahoma flag, and also a natural gas flame, like your pilot light).

As for the mascot, I think either our state animal (bison) or state furbearing animal (raccoon) would do the trick.

dude, that's not primary. navy is a secondary for most of those.

all i know is i'm seeing way too much teal, purple, orange, and yellow in the nba.

birddog
3/13/2008, 02:41 PM
here's the nba store website. kind of gives you an idea of the most popular colors.

http://store.nba.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2482948&cid=

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 02:48 PM
Just a minute, bub. Be careful about dogging the purple, teal and gold. :D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/13/2008, 02:51 PM
You could go along the lines of something for Tinker..fighters, jets, soldiers (Our mascot could be a fighting Kellen Winslow!). Just a thought. May not be a great one though, but I thought I would throw it out there. Something different.

Also, I do like the Thunder or Storm (which is a WNBA team from Seattle), but what about wind or an Indian word for wind since that is something Oklahoma is known for. It would also be something different and have a lot to work with. Maybe a sky blue color scheme, but not that aweful color scheme Denver has.

dw17
3/13/2008, 02:53 PM
The OKC Plains. The color scheme could be white with khaki letters or something. No stripes. Just a number.

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 02:54 PM
All I know is that I would hope they wouldn't go with anything twister, cyclone or tornado associated.

silverwheels
3/13/2008, 02:55 PM
The Oklahoma City Breaking Wind?

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 02:57 PM
Oklahoma City Beans and Cornbread?

silverwheels
3/13/2008, 03:03 PM
All I know is that I would hope they wouldn't go with anything twister, cyclone or tornado associated.

I don't know. If we went with "Ternaders", that would at least be pretty unique.

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 03:10 PM
Oklahoma City Cotton Pickers?

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/13/2008, 03:22 PM
Oklahoma City Naked Twisters!!!!

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 03:23 PM
WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/13/2008, 03:31 PM
We could have the green, yellow, red and blue dots all over the uniforms and the spinners on the shorts. Of course, the cheerleaders will play naked twister at halftime!

dw17
3/13/2008, 03:32 PM
OKC Truck Nutz

dw17
3/13/2008, 03:33 PM
We could have the green, yellow, red and blue dots all over the uniforms and the spinners on the shorts. Of course, the cheerleaders will play naked twister at halftime!
Well, that would be a better halftime show than the Hip Hop Violinist, who was horrible.

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 03:49 PM
OKC Crocs! Toby Keith would be courtside at every game!

Jimminy Crimson
3/13/2008, 04:03 PM
dude, that's not primary. navy is a secondary for most of those.

Every team except for Cleveland have navy away jerseys. That's primary enough for me. And Cleveland wears their navy alternates a good deal of the time.

birddog
3/13/2008, 04:31 PM
i was talking more about team colors, not uniforms. you're right, most teams have found a way to incorporate navy trim into their colors and use that for a navy jersey.

i still think navy and white would look good. an all white uniform with oklahoma city in navy would look sharp.

but whatever, they'll find a way to pick purple and green or something.

Big Red Ron
3/13/2008, 04:35 PM
The Oklahoma City Bombers?

I keed.

birddog
3/13/2008, 04:53 PM
flames isn't too bad. i think only calgary uses that one.

natives? would that be too un-pc?

Chuck Bao
3/13/2008, 05:54 PM
These suggestions are all pretty silly...

OKC Legends
OKC ThunderNation
OKC ThunderEagles
OKC DareEagles
OKC The Nations
OKC PlainsHunters
OKC Wahya (Cherokee for wolves)
OKC Brand (aka BBallBrand or Bbbrand with an OKC branding iron logo)
OKC BlackGold
OKC Roadrunners
OKC Dustdevils

CobraKai
3/13/2008, 06:07 PM
The Oklahoma City Oklahoma Cityans.

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 06:43 PM
Oklahoma City Bootleggers.

KC//CRIMSON
3/13/2008, 07:01 PM
The Oklahoma City Flatlanders

winner!

StoopTroup
3/13/2008, 08:04 PM
The Oklahoma City Tulsans. :D

shaun4411
3/13/2008, 08:11 PM
89ers

BigRedJed
3/13/2008, 08:14 PM
Too bad Drillers is already used in state, 'cause that would be perfect for a hoops squad.

Mixer!
3/14/2008, 01:45 AM
Don't get too caught up in this conversation guys. I'd say the chances of the Sonics moving here is WELL below 50%. Seriously. It's more likely that we'll have the Hornets back here in a few years, or an expansion team.
*whistling*

Mixer!
3/14/2008, 01:49 AM
Oh, and for the new name suggestion deal: why not steal from New Orleans again and call them the Oklahoma City Zephyrs? :D

(yes, I do realize that the Z's started out in Denver. A shame that name couldn't have stayed there when they finally got their MLB team.)

mfosterftw
3/14/2008, 01:58 AM
Oklahoma City Bootleggers.

I actually have a Bootleggers logo for a hockey team. The city name has been cleared because the announcement for the team hasn't been made. I'm not even sure the owner will go with this name/logo concept.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/marcfosterftw/bootleggers_nocity.jpg

Vegas Sooner
3/14/2008, 02:54 AM
OKC Sonics

SicEmBaylor
3/14/2008, 03:19 AM
I would second the "Oklahoma City Tulsans" idea, but I'm not real sure Tulsa's good name should be associated with the thug league.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 06:26 AM
*whistling*
Yeah, I posted that in 2006. Quite a bit has happened since then; most surprisingly the fact that Seattle hasn't budged a bit on an arena deal. Their loss.

But if you think this thing is a done deal, think again. I would say it's now definitely above 50% that they ultimately move here (maybe more in the 80-90%+ category), but I'd say the chances that they are here for '08-'09 are still around 50/50. It's not quite the slam dunk everyone seems to think it is.

Mixer!
3/14/2008, 12:13 PM
As long as they get here, that's all that matters. :)

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 12:19 PM
I still think that there's an outside chance that if they're held to their lease by the courts, an arena deal could materialize out there and throw a monkey wrench into things. We'll have to wait and see. FWIW, I hope they're here this year.

Civicus_Sooner
3/14/2008, 12:23 PM
If the NBA Board of Governors or whatever approve the move later this year, it won't matter if they get an arena funded. If they got the funding ready before the NBA meeting then yeah but that ain't gonna happen.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 12:53 PM
I don't think that's 100% the case. Sure, if the NBA BOG approves the move, the path is clear for the OKC owners to do what they see fit once they either buy their way out of the Seattle lease or fulfill the two remaining years. However, if they were approved for the move, but held to their lease by the court, an arena deal COULD appear before '10. If that happens, Clay and his group would surely have the option to take back their relocation request.

I'm not saying they would do so, but they would be poor businessmen if they didn't investigate their options, and they are NOT poor businessmen.

I'm not making the argument that Seattle will have the ability at that point to MAKE them stay, but they might have the ability to ENTICE them to stay. Everyone there has seemed to be in denial up to very recently regarding whether or not the Sonics would actually be able to leave at all, so there wasn't much of a move to keep them. I think now that the reality is setting in, they might get motivated, and that is a city that can accomplish just about whatever they set their mind to financially, and two years is a long time.

While I agree that Clay and his group are now thoroughly committed to relocating, they are first and foremost businessmen, and a financial swing in the neighborhood of $250 milion on their investment, as unlikely as it might seem at the moment, might still do in the short-term NBA hopes around here.

Everyone is just acting like it is a foregone conclusion that they will be here, and I thnk people should guard against getting their hopes dashed.

Civicus_Sooner
3/14/2008, 01:09 PM
I don't think that's 100% the case. Sure, if the NBA BOG approves the move, the path is clear for the OKC owners to do what they see fit once they either buy their way out of the Seattle lease or fulfill the two remaining years. However, if they were approved for the move, but held to their lease by the court, an arena deal COULD appear before '10. If that happens, Clay and his group would surely have the option to take back their relocation request.

I'm not saying they would do so, but they would be poor businessmen if they didn't investigate their options, and they are NOT poor businessmen.

I'm not making the argument that Seattle will have the ability at that point to MAKE them stay, but they might have the ability to ENTICE them to stay. Everyone there has seemed to be in denial up to very recently regarding whether or not the Sonics would actually be able to leave at all, so there wasn't much of a move to keep them. I think now that the reality is setting in, they might get motivated, and that is a city that can accomplish just about whatever they set their mind to financially, and two years is a long time.

While I agree that Clay and his group are now thoroughly committed to relocating, they are first and foremost businessmen, and a financial swing in the neighborhood of $250 milion on their investment, as unlikely as it might seem at the moment, might still do in the short-term NBA hopes around here.

Everyone is just acting like it is a foregone conclusion that they will be here, and I thnk people should guard against getting their hopes dashed.As I'm sure you're aware, Clay is just the face of the ownership group. McClendon's public comments several months ago are the same I've heard from Clay and Jeff Records since they purchased the team. I can tell you, from what I know there is virtually nothing the city of Seattle can do to keep this team. Once the BOG vote for the move, it's just a matter of time.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 01:19 PM
Uh, that's why I say "Clay and his group," "Clay and Co.," etc. pretty much every time I post. As well off as Clay is, he has a number of partners with much deeper pockets.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 01:22 PM
And once again, I reiterate that I understand and am completely aware that the OKC group now fully intends to bring the team here. Just as I believe most of them were sincere in wanting it to work in Seattle until they were villified and abused by people in that city.

Minds change, and often the thing capable of changing them the easiest is green and foldy.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/14/2008, 01:25 PM
http://wiki.scrollwars.com/images/3/39/Dirt_clod.gif The Oklahoma City Dirt Clods http://wiki.scrollwars.com/images/3/39/Dirt_clod.gif

'...God made dirt...dirt bustcha ***!!!...'

Civicus_Sooner
3/14/2008, 01:29 PM
Uh, that's why I say "Clay and his group," "Clay and Co.," etc. pretty much every time I post. As well off as Clay is, he has a number of partners with much deeper pockets.

Sure, that really wasn't my point. My point is that they planned on moving this team here from the begining. Aubrey said as much. Now, if they had funded a new building within the year they laid out, then they would have kept it there. as it is, even if they force them to keep the lease, they'll move here after.

I am told by the current marketing director of the Sonics that there's a 90% chance that there will be a settlement reached on the lease. The Judge's ruling will essentially dictate how much it will cost.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 01:43 PM
See, you think I'm disagreeing with anything you're saying. I don't think you're listening very closely. I think it's pretty obvious AUBREY wanted nothing more than to move the team to OKC. It's pretty documented that if something is part of a grander vision for him, he's willing to pay too much for it, at least from a short term perspective.

Aubrey also is a number of slots above Oprah on the Forbes list. Some of his partners in this deal are just workaday multi-millionaires. Are you not willing to concede that different members of the investment group may have had different motivations?

I'm saying that no matter how wealthy, most people won't turn their back on a profit opportunity in the hundreds of millions. That is the value difference between a team located in Seattle in a new arena and a team in OKC in any arena. If the opportunity presents itself and they have some level of confidence that they could ultimately get a different team in OKC, only on a longer time schedule, they would be fools not to look at it. Again, they are not fools.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 01:46 PM
And I also agree that the chances for a lease settlement are great. Members of the Seattle City Council have already publicly mused about it. That bodes well for our chances.

Civicus_Sooner
3/14/2008, 01:48 PM
I'm just saying you're overly concerned with the with the possibility that they won't be coming. Aubrey and Jeff combined own the greatest % and they both are on the same page, Clay is too for that matter. I would venture to guess that it's a 98% chance that the Sonics will be here in time for next season.

Readyfor8
3/14/2008, 04:05 PM
I'm just saying you're overly concerned with the with the possibility that they won't be coming. Aubrey and Jeff combined own the greatest % and they both are on the same page, Clay is too for that matter. I would venture to guess that it's a 98% chance that the Sonics will be here in time for next season.

I don't know about next season, but the season after that? Probably. They still have a lot to do before next season if they want to play in OKC.

They need a name, they need a marketing campaign, need to have shirts jerseys, they need an equipment deal, they need a lease for the Ford Center, they need to make the upgrades to the Ford Center, they need to clear a schedule between events already planned... etc. etc.

Still tons to do and it won't start until that judge makes his ruling. That judge probably won't make that ruling until after the NBA playoffs in may, so 6 months to do all of that work.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 04:18 PM
The lease for the Ford Center is under negotiation, nearly complete, and will probably be signed immediately upon a "yes" vote by the NBA BOG.

The FC schedule can be cleared at a moment's notice. SMG has been keeping an eye on the process, and while they have not turned away any events in anticipation of the NBA's arrival, they have contingency plans in place.

The Ford Center upgrades will be done in stages, and the building will be used the entire time.

The re-name and re-branding are already well underway in anticipation of the possible move and likely negotiation with the City of Seattle for the retention of the Sonics brand. Not saying they WON'T be the Sonics, only that the possibility that they won't is being planned for.

The Hornets were able to relocate with the decision being made in August of '05. The Sonics could do it. Whether or not they will be allowed to do so remains to be seen.

Jimminy Crimson
3/14/2008, 04:20 PM
I don't know about next season, but the season after that? Probably. They still have a lot to do before next season if they want to play in OKC.

They need a name, they need a marketing campaign, need to have shirts jerseys, they need an equipment deal, they need a lease for the Ford Center, they need to make the upgrades to the Ford Center, they need to clear a schedule between events already planned... etc. etc.

Still tons to do and it won't start until that judge makes his ruling. That judge probably won't make that ruling until after the NBA playoffs in may, so 6 months to do all of that work.

Unless a settlement is reached with Clay & Co. gifting the name to Seattle, they're the OKC Sonics.

Marketing campaign: Kevin Durant + NBA. Think how little time the Hornets had before they arrived...

Shirts, jerseys, equipment deal = :confused: The NBA is exclusive with adidas.

If you look at the letter Clay sent to OKC today, that lays out a lot of the lease agreements. PBC, LLC. definately has a lease already drawn up to hand to Cornett.

The Ford Center upgrade schedule will depend on when the team comes, not the other way around.

As for scheduling, there really isn't anything to worry about. The Sonics would be the primary tennant of the Ford Center.

Soonerfan88
3/16/2008, 08:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that Stern has already said he isn't in favor of OKC keeping the Sonics name, regardless of any court agreement. He thinks it's just a bit too close to complete commercialization with Sonic HQ right down the canal. Hey, bowl games have gone to corporate names why not the NBA? ;)

I like the Thunderbirds or Rush.

stoopified
7/2/2008, 08:09 PM
Clay and his boys pulled it off.Now that the NBA is a reality,what will the name be?The name that I have seen and heard mostly is the Oklahoma City Thunder.It's not bad but doesn't exactly set me on fire.We don't have long to wait,Clays says the naming,team colors will come soon.I can't wait.

Soonermagik
7/2/2008, 10:23 PM
I say the Oklahoma City Outlaws!!!

silverwheels
7/3/2008, 02:22 AM
Oklahoma City Blues, dammit.

olevetonahill
7/3/2008, 02:37 AM
I say the Oklahoma City Outlaws!!!

Idjit !
Oklahoma Tornadoes !
Outlaws are old and worn out !~

starrca23
7/3/2008, 08:56 AM
Just pick something cool. And get me a T-shirt dang it!!!

Bone
7/3/2008, 09:05 AM
They should give their developmental league team to Tulsa... HAHA

JohnnyMack
7/3/2008, 09:44 AM
The Oklahoma City Fighting Gilloolys.

Have the mascot be a guido that'll whack you with a pipe if you're not paying attention.

tommieharris91
7/3/2008, 10:03 AM
:les: OKLAHOMA CITY FLYING DICKWHEELS!!!!

JohnnyMack
7/3/2008, 10:04 AM
the thing capable of changing them the easiest is green and foldy.

???
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2008/05/02/Gumby_narrowweb__300x483,0.jpg

yermom
7/3/2008, 10:11 AM
Clay and his boys pulled it off.Now that the NBA is a reality,what will the name be?The name that I have seen and heard mostly is the Oklahoma City Thunder.It's not bad but doesn't exactly set me on fire.We don't have long to wait,Clays says the naming,team colors will come soon.I can't wait.

Thunder sounds a bit WNBA or minor league or something

i guess Miami pulls of "Heat"

most of the names don't seem to work as well as the one they have now

maybe they should just change the colors to Crimson and Cream ;)

GrapevineSooner
7/3/2008, 10:13 AM
Scalleywags

JohnnyMack
7/3/2008, 10:16 AM
Thunder sounds a bit WNBA or minor league or something

Why do you hate the Central Hockey League?

soonervegas
7/3/2008, 10:59 AM
Put me down for Outlaws as well.

starrca23
7/3/2008, 11:15 AM
I like outlaws...color scheme?

All_Day_28
7/3/2008, 12:02 PM
I've been thinking outlaws too, but I haven't heard any love for it in the media or on the radio.

starrca23
7/3/2008, 02:27 PM
Outlaws isn't "pc" it will be interesting to see what they pick. Surely they will be smart enough to leave a color similar to red, but contains too much yellow out of the color scheme.

CORNholio
7/3/2008, 03:38 PM
Outlaws isn't "pc" it will be interesting to see what they pick. Surely they will be smart enough to leave a color similar to red, but contains too much yellow out of the color scheme.

I don't understand why Outlaws is not "PC". It is an old west theme. How is that offensive? Besides if the Raiders can exist in the heart of "PC" country then why can't we have Outlaws here?

Quack 10
7/3/2008, 03:43 PM
I believe most of them were sincere in wanting it to work in Seattle until they were villified and abused by people in that city.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CORNholio
7/3/2008, 04:00 PM
Outlaws,
Bandits,
Bootleggers,
or
Vipers.

KC//CRIMSON
7/3/2008, 05:16 PM
All you goofballs wanting the name the Outlaws do realize that is the same name by a failed semi-pro football team from Oklahoma right?

respect the jinx.

illinisooner
7/3/2008, 05:30 PM
On PTI, the Stoner mentioned "Barons" and "Thunder" as two of the possible nicknames...personally I'd go with Barons.

Harry Beanbag
7/3/2008, 05:42 PM
So far every name I've heard sucks. Thunderbirds is at least a thoughtful historical nod, but I highly doubt the average NBA fan has any idea what it would mean so what's the point. Hopefully they'll come up with something better than Charlotte did for their new team a couple years ago.

Curly Bill
7/3/2008, 05:49 PM
Chupacabras

Harry Beanbag
7/3/2008, 05:50 PM
Chupacabras

I like it. :D

birddog
7/3/2008, 06:46 PM
sounds like bennett is working with the nba marketing people on deciding a name. hopefully he doesn't just decide to take one of our jackarse recommendations and blow it for all eternity.

Harry Beanbag
7/3/2008, 06:55 PM
Chupacabras

We can use this as the mascot.

http://www.readingeagle.com/blog/paws/archives/ugliest-dog-3.jpg

CORNholio
7/3/2008, 11:41 PM
Roughnecks.
sounds cool and has an OKC connection.

CORNholio
7/3/2008, 11:44 PM
Barons sounds elitist and uppidy. If people want to name their math team the OKC Barons OK but it doesn't really seem to fit a sports team. Barons lacks the intimidation factor.

Curly Bill
7/4/2008, 12:09 AM
We can use this as the mascot.

http://www.readingeagle.com/blog/paws/archives/ugliest-dog-3.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Curly Bill
7/4/2008, 12:09 AM
Barons lacks the intimidation factor.

How about the Fightin Barons? ;)

yermom
7/4/2008, 02:16 AM
Roughnecks.
sounds cool and has an OKC connection.

sounds a little ghey, like something a soccer team would use

i've hoping for Blazers myself, or maybe the 89ers

CORNholio
7/4/2008, 03:01 AM

What is ghey about one of the most dangerous occupations there is? Just because a soccer team took a good thing and gayed it all up doesn't mean we can't redeem it.

Harry Beanbag
7/4/2008, 05:19 AM
Roughnecks would be the most hillbilly name possible. The only thought that would come to people's mind would be rednecks.

Mjcpr
7/4/2008, 08:13 AM
OKC Outsiders

It has all kinds of meanings.

Colors: black and tan

They could be called the Black and Tans for short. :)

SoonerKnight
7/4/2008, 09:42 AM
Idjit !
Oklahoma Tornadoes !
Outlaws are old and worn out !~

How about Oklahoma City Thunder??

Dio
7/4/2008, 09:52 AM
OKC Outsiders

It has all kinds of meanings.

Colors: black and tan

They could be called the Black and Tans for short. :)

The inter-squad scrimmages could be the Greasers vs. the Socs!

silverwheels
7/4/2008, 01:30 PM
How about Oklahoma City Thunder??

Too minor league.

JohnnyMack
7/4/2008, 01:51 PM
The OKC Sploosh Sploosh.

JohnnyMack
7/4/2008, 01:56 PM
The Tropics

GrapevineSooner
7/4/2008, 02:17 PM
The OKC Petros

Mixer!
7/4/2008, 03:59 PM
Why do you hate Bob Funk? :(

stoopified
7/4/2008, 05:17 PM

You don't like anything like Roughnecks or Thunder but are willing to use MINOR LEAGUE names like Blazers(hockey )or 89ers(baseball)?

What about Thunder-Boomers?It could be both a nod to Oklahoma weather and to the settlers who took off at the BOOM of a cannon to settle OUr state.Ipicture a logo similiar to the Thunder logo but instead of a buffalo and thunderbolts,it would feature a rider astride a running horse,above which is the Thundercloud and bolts.

BigRedJed
7/4/2008, 05:26 PM
I think Clay and his boys just need to buy "Drillers" from Tulsa. It would arguably be the coolest name in hoop and they haven't been shy about buying everything else.

yermom
7/4/2008, 05:28 PM
the OKC MWDs

yermom
7/4/2008, 05:32 PM
You don't like anything like Roughnecks or Thunder but are willing to use MINOR LEAGUE names like Blazers(hockey )or 89ers(baseball)?

What about Thunder-Boomers?It could be both a nod to Oklahoma weather and to the settlers who took off at the BOOM of a cannon to settle OUr state.Ipicture a logo similiar to the Thunder logo but instead of a buffalo and thunderbolts,it would feature a rider astride a running horse,above which is the Thundercloud and bolts.

that's kinda the point ;)

not to mention the Portland team

Harry Beanbag
7/4/2008, 06:00 PM
I think Clay and his boys just need to buy "Drillers" from Tulsa. It would arguably be the coolest name in hoop and they haven't been shy about buying everything else.

I actually thought of that earlier. Colors of black and gold.

JLB
7/4/2008, 07:09 PM
Oklahoma City Mongols!

Curly Bill
7/4/2008, 11:48 PM
The Moonshiners

Mixer!
7/5/2008, 12:25 AM
Oklahoma City Mongos!
Only if he got a large cut of the concessions. ;)

JohnnyMack
7/5/2008, 08:43 AM
OKC Pew Pew Pews

Mjcpr
7/5/2008, 09:59 AM
Since the Drillers are taken, maybe they could use the Drillhims.

olevetonahill
7/5/2008, 11:39 AM
The Moonshiners

Can I be the Mascot ?

BigRedJed
7/5/2008, 11:40 AM
Yes. That is a match made in heaven. I am suddenly LOVING this idea.

BigRedJed
7/5/2008, 11:44 AM
http://www.sanfords.net/Spots_free_graphics/Hillbillys/hillbilly12.gif

BigRedJed
7/5/2008, 11:45 AM
Actually, that should be your avatar.

olevetonahill
7/5/2008, 01:37 PM
http://www.sanfords.net/Spots_free_graphics/Hillbillys/hillbilly12.gif

Thats what Im talkin about :D

BigRedJed
7/5/2008, 01:44 PM
Get that going! AVATAR!

olevetonahill
7/5/2008, 01:49 PM
Get that going! AVATAR!

I dont know how :O

stoopified
7/5/2008, 06:01 PM
I think I prefer Bootleggers to Moonshiners.

Curly Bill
7/5/2008, 06:15 PM
Can I be the Mascot ?

Yep, had you in mind all along. :D

olevetonahill
7/6/2008, 05:18 AM
Yep, had you in mind all along. :D

Which is as it should be !:D
as I sip on a Pint of the Smoove :pop:

r5TPsooner
7/6/2008, 11:14 AM
I hope that they don't go with a snake mascot like rattlers, moccasins, or sumthin ghey like that. No Native American connotations either.

soonerboy
7/6/2008, 07:41 PM
Ok why do u guys make up all these fag names that have been used over and over... do u want an NBA team or not cause ppl get on here and think we dont want a team.... not only that but they think we cant come up with good jokes cause your jokes suck a**

stoopified
7/6/2008, 08:08 PM
Maybe its because I just watched FAR AND AWAY but the LAND RUN scene has me thinking BOOMERS.It is fairly unique,ties into OUr state heritage,and I'm thinking we could fire off a little cannon to signal the start of the game.

silverwheels
7/7/2008, 02:52 AM
Ok why do u guys make up all these fag names that have been used over and over... do u want an NBA team or not cause ppl get on here and think we dont want a team.... not only that but they think we cant come up with good jokes cause your jokes suck a**

Is it really that hard to spell out "you" and "people"? Or do you just not know how to spell those words?

Scott D
7/7/2008, 06:58 AM
Is it really that hard to spell out "you" and "people"? Or do you just not know how to spell those words?

not only that, but I really doubt that the nation is holding up comments on a message board to create their evaluation of whether or not OKC wants a team.

soonerboy
7/7/2008, 11:49 AM
not only that, but I really doubt that the nation is holding up comments on a message board to create their evaluation of whether or not OKC wants a team.

your probably right... but who knows who gets on here. cause isnt this the most popular message board about oklahoma in general cause no one cares about osu's and there is yet to be a okc one

Sooner_Havok
7/7/2008, 05:36 PM

The Oklahoma City **** off dip ****s

mfosterftw
7/7/2008, 05:42 PM
I think I prefer Bootleggers to Moonshiners.

Here's a rejected minor league logo for a hockey team called the Bootleggers...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh34/marcfosterftw/bootleggers_nocity.jpg

birddog
7/7/2008, 07:22 PM

<belch>

KC//CRIMSON
7/7/2008, 07:30 PM
The Oklahoma City Homewreckers

Sooner_Havok
7/8/2008, 12:58 PM
The Oklahoma City Land & Team Thieves

r5TPsooner
7/8/2008, 02:01 PM
I like Bombers but that is not gonna happen in Oklahoma.

bri
7/9/2008, 10:33 AM
Marshalls? (http://withleather.uproxx.com/post.phtml?pk=6301)

If they choose "Thundercats", I will support this team with all my heart and soul. Anything else, and I go back to cheering for Dallas and Chicago. :D

soonerboomer93
7/9/2008, 04:46 PM
Maybe its because I just watched FAR AND AWAY but the LAND RUN scene has me thinking BOOMERS.It is fairly unique,ties into OUr state heritage,and I'm thinking we could fire off a little cannon to signal the start of the game.

yeah, then every one can cheer

Boomer Sooner at the games and really **** off the pokes eh

soonerboomer93
7/9/2008, 04:47 PM
Rustlers...

Blue
7/9/2008, 05:29 PM
Cobras. Kobra Kai's.

CORNholio
7/9/2008, 06:40 PM
The only name I really disagree with seems to be kind of popular (Barons). I don't get it. It make me think of this guy:

http://content.ll-0.com/cccc/mono-guy.jpg

Why would anybody want to associate themselves with that?

Blue
7/9/2008, 06:43 PM
Or oil these days for that matter.

birddog
7/9/2008, 06:46 PM

oh sweet jeebus.

yermom
7/9/2008, 07:17 PM

If they choose "Thundercats", I will support this team with all my heart and soul. Anything else, and I go back to cheering for Dallas and Chicago. :D

HOOOOOOOOO!!!!11!!!1

teh awesome

i don't really hate "Marshals" though