PDA

View Full Version : TransTexas Corridor

CORNholio
7/31/2006, 04:42 PM
Has anyone payed much attention to this monstrosity being concieved down in Tejas. This massive 12 lane highway accompanied by commuter and freight trains extending from Mexico to the Red River. It will be "the" premier route for transportation between Mexico and the Central/Eastern US. My question is will Oklahoma try to extend this through this state or will they pass on a huge opportunity to cash in. My guess would be the later. It will be kinda funny to see a 12 lane highway squeeze into 4 at the Rio of Red. But hey most of those nice Tejas highways turn to shiznit at the river anyway.

http://www.keeptexasmoving.org/

http://kaufmancountyonline.com/artman/uploads/transtexas_route_copy.jpg

C&CDean
7/31/2006, 04:44 PM
pfffft. Like anybody gives a **** what they do down there.

fadada1
7/31/2006, 04:47 PM
makes about as much sense as a football bat.

SicEmBaylor
7/31/2006, 04:48 PM
I have been following it, and I intend to do some lobbying work against it when I get back to school in August. I honest to God just noticed though that this highway appears to be carved out right though the center of Baylor's campus.

CORNholio
7/31/2006, 04:49 PM
Only when it concerns Oklahoma. And this kinda does. Seeing how a massive international transportation pathway is being built right up to our front door. Just wondering if Oklahoma had any plans to take advantage of this.

OhU1
7/31/2006, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me. I'll bet some people didn't like the idea of the interstate highway system either. You've got to build the infrastructure to support economic progress. Don't wait for the feds to do it for you.

OUHOMER
7/31/2006, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a great place to add a toll road to me:D

mrowl
7/31/2006, 05:12 PM
Sounds like a great idea to me. I'll bet some people didn't like the idea of the interstate highway system either. You've got to build the infrastructure to support economic progress. Don't wait for the feds to do it for you.

so are I guess we will let just the rest of our highways wither away? The ones that need fixing up, and need expansion?

royalfan5
7/31/2006, 05:24 PM
This was supposed to be built right through my Aunt and Uncle's farm at one point. I think they have shifted the route somewhat since then. From what I know about it from my Aunt and Uncle's, it seems like the cluster**** potential is quite high on this.

SicEmBaylor
7/31/2006, 05:45 PM
What they don't tell you is that the state of Texas will most likely use its imminent domain authority to seize the property of anyone in the path of this thing. It's easy to advocate it when there isn't a good possibility that the state is going to throw you out of your lifetime home and build a multi-lane highway on top of it.

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2006, 05:54 PM
What they don't tell you is that the state of Texas will most likely use its imminent domain authority to seize the property of anyone in the path of this thing. It's easy to advocate it when there isn't a good possibility that the state is going to throw you out of your lifetime home and build a multi-lane highway on top of it.

Meh. No different than every other highway in every other state.

SicEmBaylor
7/31/2006, 06:00 PM
Meh. No different than every other highway in every other state.

Except the foot print of this one is going to be considerably wider than any other highway in any other state.

mrowl
7/31/2006, 06:02 PM
Except the foot print of this one is going to be considerably wider than any other highway in any other state.

half mile wide.

critical_phil
7/31/2006, 06:03 PM
it seems like the cluster**** potential is quite high on this.

wait a minute.... government + roads = cluster****?????

this IS a new development.

Harry Beanbag
7/31/2006, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a ginormous waste of money to me. I can't think of one good reason to have a 12 lane freeway plus commuter trains on at least 500 of that 600 mile pathway. Now or at any point in any of our lifetimes.

StoopTroup
7/31/2006, 06:09 PM
I think if it does go through Oklahoma it should go at least as far as Branson.

Chicks dig Branson.

OUHOMER
7/31/2006, 06:09 PM
Sounds like a ginormous waste of money to me. I can't think of one good reason to have a 12 lane freeway plus commuter trains on at least 500 of that 600 mile pathway. Now or at any point in any of our lifetimes.

But its for the children ;)

OUHOMER
7/31/2006, 06:13 PM
When i first heard about this a few years ago, they were also going to put all kinds of utilities under it as well, pipe lines, gas lines etc.

BoogercountySooner
7/31/2006, 07:12 PM
With the price of gas doin what it's doin that thing will be 12 lanes of Mopeds.

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2006, 08:09 PM
It will benefit Mexico.
There has to be a huge inspection station set up to check cargo and vehicles.
Did I say this will benefit Mexico?

KaiserSooner
7/31/2006, 09:36 PM
I doubt Texas needs anymore highways, but freight/passenger lines are an interesting idea.

SicEmBaylor
7/31/2006, 10:41 PM
I think if it does go through Oklahoma it should go at least as far as Branson.

Chicks dig Branson.

Dead to me.

Octavian
7/31/2006, 10:51 PM

You've never smuggled drugs or migrant workers into American have you? ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/1/2006, 09:39 AM
I thought this was supposed to follow TX 59 up through east Texas and evenutally connect to I-69? "Wha...Happened?"

CORNholio
8/2/2006, 02:42 PM
I thought this was supposed to follow TX 59 up through east Texas and evenutally connect to I-69? "Wha...Happened?"

That is also a part of the plan. There are plans to build an "I-69" through the eastern half of the state that ends somewhere around I-30. I have heard plans to build one that extends from El Paso too.

And Yes Texas does need help with transportation. They are expected to reach 36 million peeps in the next decade or so. Thats alot of *******s on the road. Not to mention the amount of trade that is shipped across the current system. Oklahoma could benefit greatly from this by activly planning on expanding this through its state. This is a huge positive for this state IMHO.

trwxxa
8/2/2006, 09:36 PM

I believe it is still on the books. This was a Tom Delay project so who knows what will happen.