PDA

View Full Version : Dems about to throw another moderate overboard?

Tear Down This Wall
7/31/2006, 03:24 PM
The NYT thinks so. As far left as the Democrats are moving, George Bush would have to kill a Nun in broad daylight for the GOP to lose control of the Senate or House. Amazing how out of touch the Dems and their mouthpieces have become:

N.Y. Times endorses Lieberman challenger
NEW YORK, July 29 (UPI) -- The New York Times has endorsed challenger Ned Lamont over incumbent Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., in the upcoming Aug. 8 primary.

Lieberman is locked in an intense battle with Lamont, a relative political unknown whose campaign is largely based on opposition to Lieberman's support of President George W. Bush's Iraq war policy. A recent Quinnipiac poll showed likely Democratic voters in Connecticut favor Lamont over Lieberman, 51-47.

The Times, while pointing out that Lieberman has supported abortion rights and has been "one of the Senate's most creative thinkers about the environment and energy conservation," said he "has become one of the Bush administration's most useful allies as the president tries to turn the war on terror into an excuse for radical changes in how this country operates."

The newspaper said Lieberman has helped the administration's effort to depict challenges to Bush policies as "giving aid and comfort to the terrorists," by denouncing Democrats who criticized Bush over Iraq.

Lieberman says he will run in November as an independent if he loses the primary. The Quinnipiac Poll gave him 51 percent of the vote in a three-way race against Lamont and Republican Alan Schlesinger.

OUstudent4life
7/31/2006, 03:35 PM
Granted, some democrats = stooooopid.

But, of course, then there's our famous president and face-shooting VP...

That whole supply-side economics thing isn't working out too well...and we have Cheney to thank for the info :D

Granted, it's from a liberal source, so read with a grain of salt or two (http://www.slate.com/id/2146868/)

On the flip side, I thought republicans were all for smaller government...why do Bush and Co. keep adding new sections/departments/etc?

Finally, this is all offered in good humor from a poster who thinks the country is pretty messed up no matter who is leading it :D:D:D

Ike
7/31/2006, 03:43 PM
Unfortunately, it's not just the Dems who are trying to kick the moderates to the curb these days....just the Dems are doing so much louder than the republicans are.

It's all part of the natural, but unfortunate, ebb and flow that comes with the territory of a 2 party system....before long, we'll have nearly all right and left wing nutjobs in the house, senate, and white house, and then people will wake up and ask "where have all the moderates gone?" before they start electing some again...

Scott D
7/31/2006, 03:58 PM
what Ike is saying in non mensaese is that "Democrats are just being more obvious about kicking moderates to the curb, Republicans prefer to pull the rug out from under them rather than just shove them out the door of the house that opens up on a cliff."

SicEmBaylor
7/31/2006, 04:04 PM
I saw this thread and thought to myself, "surely he's not calling Lieberman a moderate.." Sure enough...

Aside from his support of the war and the fact that he's an honorable man (which has nothing to do with ideology) what precisely makes him "moderate?"

etouffee
7/31/2006, 04:05 PM
what Ike is saying in non mensaese is that "Democrats are just being more obvious about kicking moderates to the curb, Republicans prefer to pull the rug out from under them rather than just shove them out the door of the house that opens up on a cliff."Republicans kicking moderates to the curb? Got some examples? Cuz last I looked, Arnold was gubna of California and 2 frontrunners for their next presidential candidate were McCain and Guilianni. :confused:

Scott D
7/31/2006, 04:06 PM
Republicans kicking moderates to the curb? Got some examples? Cuz last I looked, Arnold was gubna of California and 2 frontrunners for their next presidential candidate were McCain and Guilianni. :confused:

I never said they were prominent moderates ;)

etouffee
7/31/2006, 04:19 PM
I saw this thread and thought to myself, "surely he's not calling Lieberman a moderate.." Sure enough...

Aside from his support of the war and the fact that he's an honorable man (which has nothing to do with ideology) what precisely makes him "moderate?"
He's definitely liberal on some issues, like abortion, welfare, and affirmative action. However, some of his positions are conservative. For example:

- supports death penalty
- supports increased border security
- supports mandatory minimum sentences for drug offenses
- supports charter schools & school choice
-supports states, not the feds, setting their own teacher evaluation and testing programs, and student exit exams

-supports allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons, does not support gun licensing
- Says the US should use military force to disable N. Korea's nuclear program if necessary
- Supports embargo and opposes full diplomatic relations with Cuba
- Wants the government to monitor/limit violent & sexual tv programs

link (http://www.vote-smart.org/npat.php?can_id=S0141103)

I'd say the combination of liberal and conservative positions lends some credibility to the "moderate" label.

Veritas
7/31/2006, 04:22 PM
Cripes, I though you said the Dems were going to throw a moderator overboard and I started looking over my shoulder for Hatfield and Scuba.

Big Red Ron
7/31/2006, 07:01 PM
WTF is the NY Times doing endorsing anyone for a Conn. Senate race? Jebus, that rag has no business.

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2006, 07:09 PM
WTF is the NY Times doing endorsing anyone for a Conn. Senate race? Jebus, that rag has no business.

Ummm... you oughta check out a map of the Northeast.

Big Red Ron
7/31/2006, 07:29 PM
Man, I used to live and work in DC. I'm saying the NY Times over reaches OFTEN and I think this is another example.

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 07:32 PM
Moderate = no balls

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2006, 07:36 PM
Man, I used to live and work in DC. I'm saying the NY Times over reaches OFTEN and I think this is another example.

Connecticut is suburban NYC... Why wouldn't the NYT have an opinion on the CT governorship?

Big Red Ron
7/31/2006, 07:39 PM
Different States and Conn has their own papers. It's a US Senate race too not a Gov. Race.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/31/2006, 07:44 PM
We need to get rid of people who look at an individual issues and make judgements based on their beliefs, I mean one side has to have all the correct answers. Lieberman isn't a moderate...he just isn't a douch like 98% of politicians

He's definitely liberal on some issues, like abortion, welfare, and affirmative action. However, some of his positions are conservative. For example:

- supports death penalty
- supports increased border security
- supports mandatory minimum sentences for drug offenses
- supports charter schools & school choice
-supports states, not the feds, setting their own teacher evaluation and testing programs, and student exit exams

-supports allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons, does not support gun licensing
- Says the US should use military force to disable N. Korea's nuclear program if necessary
- Supports embargo and opposes full diplomatic relations with Cuba
- Wants the government to monitor/limit violent & sexual tv programs

link (http://www.vote-smart.org/npat.php?can_id=S0141103)

I'd say the combination of liberal and conservative positions lends some credibility to the "moderate" label.

Harry Beanbag
7/31/2006, 07:45 PM
If geography mattered to any of these morons, Hillary wouldn't be representing the state of New York in the Senate.

Scott D
7/31/2006, 07:50 PM
Different States and Conn has their own papers. It's a US Senate race too not a Gov. Race.

doesn't matter, Conneticut is part of the 'Tri-State' area, so for reasons of subscriptionship it only makes sense to cover things in the scope of their subscription range.

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2006, 08:43 PM

DC is much, much further from NYC than Connecticut is. Like I said, look at a freakin' map and see that Connecticut is right there next to NYC. Hundreds of thousands of Connecticutians (?) work in NYC and read the NYT. It's perfectly reasonable for the Times to have an opinion on any state race in Connecticut.

It looks like your anger at the Times is due more to your disagreement with their left-leaning editorial stance rather than any argument based in, you know, logic and stuff.

etouffee
8/1/2006, 05:27 AM
Moderate = no ballsNonsensical statement of the week. Congrats I guess.