PDA

View Full Version : Effin Hillbillies love them big T.V.'s

Triumph
7/31/2006, 01:25 PM
Okay, I did a search and got nothin. I know several of you hillibillies have the big screen tv's.

My budget is $3,000, and I want to get a Big HDTV, and a simple home theater system.

I just got back from sam's and looked at the Bose 3-2-1 system which I like mainly because it only has two speaker meaning less wires.

Any ideas opinions on a HDTV in my price range???

TheHumanAlphabet
7/31/2006, 01:39 PM
I have a Bose 3-2-1 and a 50-inch Panasonic Plasma HDTV. Love it!
When you get a big HD, TV viewing will never be the same...

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 01:45 PM
Okay, I did a search and got nothin. I know several of you hillibillies have the big screen tv's.

My budget is $3,000, and I want to get a Big HDTV, and a simple home theater system.

I just got back from sam's and looked at the Bose 3-2-1 system which I like mainly because it only has two speaker meaning less wires.

Any ideas opinions on a HDTV in my price range???

I love my Bose 321. I don't have a biggy TV though. I only watch an hour or two a day tops so it never seemed like tnat big a dealio. I'm also one of those wierd-o's who only has a laptop -- no big honkin' desktop monitor.

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 01:49 PM
SONY KDFE60A20 2297.00
Yamaha YSP800 799.00
Done

Triumph
7/31/2006, 01:54 PM
SONY KDFE60A20 2297.00
Yamaha YSP800 799.00
Done

85Sooner, I know you are the resident expert, so can you explain to me why this sony model is a good one. I did read about the yamaha, in your opinion, what makes it better than the bose?

OUDoc
7/31/2006, 01:59 PM
The resident audiophiles hate Bose.

Mjcpr
7/31/2006, 02:02 PM
The resident audiophiles hate Bose.

Why is that? I always thought Bose was supposed to be the premier audio system around. No?

:confused:

OUDoc
7/31/2006, 02:03 PM
I don't know. I like Bose stuff. At the high-dollar end, there are a lot of better companies. I just don't have high dollars.

Rusher
7/31/2006, 02:07 PM
I got Sony's KD-36xs955, a 36 incher CRT tube for a little over $1000 after shipping on Ebay. This baby is one of the best HDTV around, eventhough KD-34xbr960 takes the crown. Look it up on google.

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2006, 02:53 PM
Listen to 85.

BoogercountySooner
7/31/2006, 03:05 PM
Harman-Kardon cp25 $877 Any questions

OUDoc
7/31/2006, 03:21 PM
Harman-Kardon cp25 $877 Any questions
Do you deliver?

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 03:31 PM
The Sony KDFE60A20 Is a sixty inch HDTV @720p Resolution (1366x768)
It will be better than any DLP and is just shy of the 60 SXRD 1080P set (sells for 3499.00)
It is a sharper picture than the 1080p sets, is ultra reliable and will give the big picture you so desire ( and lets face it, you damn well deserve to watch the upcoming OU games on a set of it magnitude)

As far as bose. Not to put anyone down who has it BUT if you want a wave radio, acoustic wave machine or head-phones, please be my guest and go for bose. As far as home theater, they are way off the mark and have been for nearly a decade now. (they are living on a name.) The yamaha YSP sound projectors are really nice. They come with a set-up microphone that will analyze the room environment and adjust the multitude of drivers to create the best surround sound for your room. As you can see there is only one speaker box with a bunch of drivers hidden inside. If you still considering a traditional set up (receiver and 6 speakers)and still want to stay pretty close to budget, try
Yamaha RXV659 Reciever 469.00
Paradigm Cinema70CT system 547.00
includes 2 pr paradigm cinema70 speakers
1 paradigm cinema CC center speaker and
1 Paradigm PDR8 Subwoofer.
All excellant stuff. I guaruntee either way you go you will not be disappointed. I do predict that you WILL increase the amount of TV that you will be watching though.

Hope that helps

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/31/2006, 03:33 PM
It will be better than any DLP and is just shy of the 60 SXRD 1080P set (sells for 3499.00)
It is a sharper picture than the 1080p sets, is ultra reliable and will give the big picture you so desire ( and lets face it, you damn well deserve to watch the upcoming OU games on a set of it magnitude)

As far as bose. Not to put anyone down who has it BUT if you want a wave radio, acoustic wave machine or head-phones, please be my guest and go for bose. As far as home theater, they are way off the mark and have been for nearly a decade now. (they are living on a name.) The yamaha YSP sound projectors are really nice. NOW you will have to add a powered subwoofer to it but it does a terrific job if the traditional receiver and speakers is out of your desire. If you are considering a traditional set up and still want to stay pretty close to budget, try
All excellant stuff. I guaruntee either way you go you will not be disappointed. I do predict that you WILL increase the amount of TV that you will be watching though.

Hope that helps

Dude, you should charge for information like this.

:D

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 03:36 PM
Dude, you should charge for information like this.

:D

I do to everyone but Sooners here on SO. I will tell ya I do miss ALOT of business by living in Austin. The other guys here give advice on hornfans and orange bloods and they are constantly having the posters buy from them. Thats OK though, I is still the top dog.

Triumph
7/31/2006, 03:42 PM

As far as bose. Not to put anyone down who has it BUT if you want a wave radio, acoustic wave machine or head-phones, please be my guest and go for bose. As far as home theater, they are way off the mark and have been for nearly a decade now. (they are living on a name.) The yamaha YSP sound projectors are really nice. They come with a set-up microphone that will analyze the room environment and adjust the multitude of drivers to create the best surround sound for your room. As you can see there is only one speaker box with a bunch of drivers hidden inside. If you still considering a traditional set up (receiver and 6 speakers)and still want to stay pretty close to budget, try

Hope that helps

Man, that is awesome, thanks for the heads up. I was reading about the Yamaha one box set up online, and some of the reviews mentioned adding a subwoofer to add a bit of oomph the the experience, last question, is that really needed and if so can you recomend a good, well priced woofer, and do I need any fancy cables with the new tv and sound system?

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 03:45 PM
Man, that is awesome, thanks for the heads up. I was reading about the Yamaha one box set up online, and some of the reviews mentioned adding a subwoofer to add a bit of oomph the the experience, last question, is that really needed and if so can you recomend a good, well priced woofer, and do I need any fancy cables with the new tv and sound system?

A Paradigm PDR10 369.00 (trust me, it perfomes like many 600-700.00 subs)
The cheapies will just give you headaches, figuratively and literally.

As far as cables, just get gold tipped cables. don't spend too much. the only for sure is stay away from HDMI cables repeat: Stay away.
Good luck.

Rusher
7/31/2006, 04:52 PM
Do new Plasmas still have burn-in issues? Their age span is not that long either.

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 05:04 PM
All Plasma TV's/Monitors can burn in. The operative word there is "can" we have only had a couple of folks that it has happened to.

The gas in a plasma TV has a half life of 30-60,000 hours. At five hours a day that would avg 25 years.

So, what is the difference between the cheapies and the good plasmas? The power supply is the answer. The gas/plasma tvs will outlast their power supplies. Plasma display do use more energy. Power supplies for a TV are like engines/transmissions for a car. If you put a 4 cyl in an F150 and pull your 25ft boat, it will do it but not for very long. That is why there are so many low/unknown brands who have factory refurbished/reconditioned tv's for sale.
Hope that helps.

SoonerWood
7/31/2006, 05:37 PM
If you buy Paradigm speakers I would bet that you will actually start listening to MUSIC a lot more as well. Buying great audio gear makes you realize how good music can really sound and you'll wonder how you got along all these years without it.

85Sooner - I have Legacy-Audio Focus/Silver Screen speakers and an Inifinity Intermezzo 2.0 Sub - how's that stuff rate with the Paradigm gear? I've never heard anythign but good about Paradigm, but never actually listened to any.

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 05:49 PM
Paradigm are fantastic but there are many levels from 150.00 to 7000.00 a pair. I know in the past, older legacy products were pretty good. Infinity has become kinda so-so Not bad but not the nice speakers they were before recoton got ahold of them. Recoton= the debil

SoonerWood
7/31/2006, 05:54 PM
I thought paradigm had a line in that price range?

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/31/2006, 05:55 PM
Yamahas RMFO...

BoogercountySooner
7/31/2006, 06:32 PM
Do you deliver?

I can give you a website that will deliver it to your front door for that price.

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 06:58 PM
I thought paradigm had a line in that price range?

What price range? 150-7000 is a pretty large range.

SoonerWood
7/31/2006, 07:02 PM
I musta been thinking of another line.

Wait - it was the Paradigm Sigs I think...

Cam
7/31/2006, 07:14 PM
Listen to 85.
I'll second that.

I've got some custom speakers from here:

http://www.mirusaudio.com/index.php

Buddy of mine does it on the side. He's built some crazy *** stuff, including a $10K sub that cracked the plaster in his apartment and made his girlfriend physically ill. That thing was a freaking monster.

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 07:16 PM
I'll second that.

I've got some custom speakers from here:

http://www.mirusaudio.com/index.php

Buddy of mine does it on the side. He's built some crazy *** stuff, including a $10K sub that cracked the plaster in his apartment and made his girlfriend physically ill. That thing was a freaking monster.

Watch out if you have fish in a tank. Too much sub WILL kill them.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/1/2006, 09:56 AM
Hey 85': What would you recommend for a radio tuner and a cd/DVD player. What we liked about the 3-2-1 was that it was all in one, however, our 3-2-1 just crapped out and I may be on the market for something new. Had not heard of the Yamaha, thanks for the info. Would you recommend the YPS-1000 over the -800?

85Sooner
8/1/2006, 10:12 AM
Hey 85': What would you recommend for a radio tuner and a cd/DVD player. What we liked about the 3-2-1 was that it was all in one, however, our 3-2-1 just crapped out and I may be on the market for something new. Had not heard of the Yamaha, thanks for the info. Would you recommend the YPS-1000 over the -800?

The 1000 is better than the 800 if you can afford doubling the money.

As far as CD/DVD players? The Sony DVPNS55P (about 75.00) will do the trick

With regard to am/FM tuners, Rotel makes a really good one but you are looking at around 300.00. A cheapie fromo Radio shack on the other hand would be really inexpensive and would do OK i'm sure. I don't get to mess with those because they are already in so many AV receivers that it is not neccessary. The only time I ever deal with it is on really high end systems.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 10:54 AM

I have this receiver, and will second this recommendation. It's freakin' sweet. Spend the extra $100 and buy the iPod dock for it. Completely integrates your iPod into your home theater-you can even put the iPod display up on your monitor and use the receiver remote to scroll through the menus.

I will also second that Bose is garbage for a home theater application. Absolutely lousy for sound staging and imaging.

edit: The only feature the 659 doesn't have that I wish it did was HDMI switching, just so that I didn't have to wire up three different sets of component cables and three different TOSLINK cables. It does have component switching, though, which is sweet.

skycat
8/1/2006, 11:03 AM
Hey, as long as we're asking 85 questions:

Should I officially give up on my dream of a 55 inch SED TV in two years time?

That's about the timeframe I want to buy my next TV in, and I really like the promise of that technology, but there hasn't been a lot in the way of good news out of Toshiba/Canon since they showed off some pre-production models in January.

85Sooner
8/1/2006, 12:17 PM
Hey, as long as we're asking 85 questions:

Should I officially give up on my dream of a 55 inch SED TV in two years time?

That's about the timeframe I want to buy my next TV in, and I really like the promise of that technology, but there hasn't been a lot in the way of good news out of Toshiba/Canon since they showed off some pre-production models in January.

Got an inheritance coming? I think we might see the SED coming late next year but it looks like it will be longer. I wouldn't wait because of the time factor and it will still take time for the prices to come down to the affordable range.

85Sooner
8/1/2006, 12:20 PM
I have this receiver, and will second this recommendation. It's freakin' sweet. Spend the extra $100 and buy the iPod dock for it. Completely integrates your iPod into your home theater-you can even put the iPod display up on your monitor and use the receiver remote to scroll through the menus.

I will also second that Bose is garbage for a home theater application. Absolutely lousy for sound staging and imaging.

edit: The only feature the 659 doesn't have that I wish it did was HDMI switching, just so that I didn't have to wire up three different sets of component cables and three different TOSLINK cables. It does have component switching, though, which is sweet.

Be glad you do not have HDMI switching. You would have paid another 500.00 for connections that will not be compatible with the upcoming changes in HDMI.

Right now my advice is to avoid HDMI altogether except for Blue rey on a 1080P WITH a 1080p input. Otherwise HDMI will cause more problems than solutions. We have had HDMI around for 2 years and it has gone from version 1 to version 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3. I wonder if they will ever get it right. So for the time being, componant video is the way to go.

skycat
8/1/2006, 01:45 PM
The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

skycat
8/1/2006, 01:51 PM
Got an inheritance coming? I think we might see the SED coming late next year but it looks like it will be longer. I wouldn't wait because of the time factor and it will still take time for the prices to come down to the affordable range.

About what I thought. I'm fine with my 34" Philips CRT HDTV for the near term.

I haven't liked the compromises in dynamic range of the flat screens, just not enough shadow detail for my taste. I'll just see what's available when I decide to throw down some money.

Thanks 85.

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2006, 11:04 PM
Be glad you do not have HDMI switching. You would have paid another 500.00 for connections that will not be compatible with the upcoming changes in HDMI.

Right now my advice is to avoid HDMI altogether except for Blue rey on a 1080P WITH a 1080p input. Otherwise HDMI will cause more problems than solutions. We have had HDMI around for 2 years and it has gone from version 1 to version 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3. I wonder if they will ever get it right. So for the time being, componant video is the way to go.

Yeah, I know. HDMI is the devil. What's gonna make me chuckle is when everyone starts reneging on the HDMI pact and starts manufacturing 1080p discs and players that will run over analog cables at full resolution. Pretty much an open secret that nobody's going to tell the people who've bought their TVs "Sorry, but your TV won't play that disc at the resolution we advertised."