PDA

View Full Version : My Blonde daughter update

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 12:00 PM
Headed back to LA (lower Alabama) and school on Wednesday. I am sad. She can go from 0 to beyotch in 14.7 seconds but I love her just the same.

I try to keep her reasonably contented because it is she who will put me in a nursing home someday and I'm hoping she will pass on the ones which smell like urine.

As an aside, she continues to see the Poke, but it appears love has not yet blossomed (phew, that was a close one!) I understand he is to attend a formal with her later in the semester. I hope for her sake he doesn't have an orange denim tux.

Seems like she just got home for the summer. At any rate, having spent a summer here, she has made friends in Tulsa and decided its not so bad. She knows her way around town pretty well. I realized she has kinda "bought-in" to Tulsa when I noticed she's now stating it as her hometown on stuff. Previously, although her mother and I have been here a year this week, she still put Montgomery AL on stuff.

I'll close by saying to the dad's on this board: If your little girls are still home, love 'em hard and don't take a second for granted. Sure they can be a pain in the kiester, but they'll be gone in a flash.:(

Flagstaffsooner
7/31/2006, 12:04 PM
I try to keep her reasonably contented because it is she who will put me in a nursing home someday and I'm hoping she will pass on the ones which smell like urine.
Did you evar see one that didnt? And if she marries the poke you will be in one that smells like sheep ****.

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 12:10 PM
Did you evar see one that didnt? And if she marries the poke you will be in one that smells like sheep ****.

They have some nice nursing homes like that one Paulie Walnuts put his mom in on "The Sopranos."

If it ever gets serious with the Poke, I plan to discretely but adamantly inform him that if he ever hurts her, I shall make it my sole mission in life to prepare and execute the most personally and financially devastating divorce action ever exacted on a poor sumb1tch in the history of the state of Oklahoma. :D

OUDoc
7/31/2006, 12:17 PM
Homey,
I'll send you mine. She'll crush your daughter's 0-beyotch time. In fact, she's never at zero. :D

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2006, 01:35 PM
Homey, mine is on the way to Chicago for a last hurrah before school starts. There are a group driving, meeting up with another group already up there.
She will be back next week, then off to Norman.

It's nice to see them grow, though I do miss them being home.

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 01:52 PM
Orange denim tuxes, always a big seller in Stillwater.

Sooner_Bob
7/31/2006, 02:00 PM
Orange denim tuxes, always a big seller in Stillwater.

They don't call it crazy days for nothing.

sooner n houston
7/31/2006, 02:09 PM
Am I the only one that just says "thank God their gone"? 3 of 4 are outta here! Two boys and one girl gone, one boy left! But when do they quit expecting you to "help" with their big expenses in life??? :D

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 02:12 PM
Am I the only one that just says "thank God their gone"? 3 of 4 are outta here! Two boys and one girl gone, one boy left! But when do they quit expecting you to "help" with their big expenses in life??? :D

I already told her, if you decide grad school is in the cards, you better start saving up because when you get that BS, there will be a giant popping noise heard all over the region as you are removed from my t1t.;)

IB4OU2
7/31/2006, 02:17 PM
I already told her, if you decide grad school is in the cards, you better start saving up because when you get that BS, there will be a giant popping noise heard all over the region as you are removed from my t1t.;)

Both of my daughters will be removed from mine in May of 2007.....:)

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 02:29 PM
They don't call it OSU homecoming for nothing.

Fixed it for you.

Scott D
7/31/2006, 02:31 PM

mine will be removed from mama's teat within the next 5 months, and then she's Uncle Sam's problem :)

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2006, 02:39 PM

Ha! You say that now.

The eldest graduated in May. He is going back for his MBA next Spring. His company has agreed to pay half. We are thrilled.

The middlest is graduating December, only because his advisor messed up (he should have graduated in May, 3 hours after brother). Double major.

The youngest will graduate in 2010 (hopefully) with a Masters. That's only because they don't offer less. She is talking about the new Docorate program at the HSC - do you hear her dad laughing?

We're actually very proud of them. Our emphasis on education is paying off - or is that we are paying for it.

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 03:03 PM
Ha! You say that now.

The eldest graduated in May. He is going back for his MBA next Spring. His company has agreed to pay half. We are thrilled.

The middlest is graduating December, only because his advisor messed up (he should have graduated in May, 3 hours after brother). Double major.

The youngest will graduate in 2010 (hopefully) with a Masters. That's only because they don't offer less. She is talking about the new Docorate program at the HSC - do you hear her dad laughing?

We're actually very proud of them. Our emphasis on education is paying off - or is that we are paying for it.

I just find it troubling when kids opt for grad school in order to hit the "snooze bar" on growing up. That's what a hitch in the military or the Peace Corps is for dammit!;)

SicEmBaylor
7/31/2006, 03:56 PM
Heh..
I remember about a month before I was to leave for Baylor my fish year my parents (especially my mother) were waiting in my room one day when I got home and wanted to "speak" with me. They asked me not to go to Baylor and otld me they'd just support me if I wanted to stay home (hand to God they did). I told them my runaway ambition is such that it'd make it difficult to get what I wanted doing that so it was off to Waco. :D

Scott D
7/31/2006, 04:00 PM
Heh..
I remember about a month before I was to leave for Baylor my fish year my parents (especially my mother) were waiting in my room one day when I got home and wanted to "speak" with me. They asked me not to go to Baylor and otld me they'd just support me if I wanted to stay home (hand to God they did). I told them my runaway ambition is such that it'd make it difficult to get what I wanted doing that so it was off to Waco. :D

I really wonder about the sanity of anyone who views going to Baylor as 'rebelling' against their parents :)

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2006, 04:28 PM
I just find it troubling when kids opt for grad school in order to hit the "snooze bar" on growing up. That's what a hitch in the military or the Peace Corps is for dammit!;)

Professional students are a pain.
There are others who actually benefit from grad school. In some professions, it is now a minimum requirement for a job. MBA's, for example, are the norm down here.
And, for some reason, Physical Therapy is a six year program. :eek: That's assuming you get in on the first try.

critical_phil
7/31/2006, 05:36 PM
... Physical Therapy is a six year program. :eek: That's assuming you get in on the first try.

a little dealio i just found out about.

OUHSC has a special program to accept kids to PT school in their senior year of high school. getting accepted makes it a 5 year program.

i'm pushing my oldest girl, who starts her senior year in a couple of weeks, to apply.

oh, and this thread makes me :( in pants.....

VeeJay
7/31/2006, 06:41 PM
Just be glad yore'n is focused enough on school istead of the poke. My 20 y.o. can't decide between college and working and college and the boyfriend. She's screwed around and at age 20 has amassed a staggering 9 semester credit hours. And says she wants to take college slower.

I'm thinking as in "slower than what?"

Quite the opposite with me - I don't know if I'll ever get her off my payroll.

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 07:00 PM
Just be glad yore'n is focused enough on school istead of the poke. My 20 y.o. can't decide between college and working and college and the boyfriend. She's screwed around and at age 20 has amassed a staggering 9 semester credit hours. And says she wants to take college slower.

I'm thinking as in "slower than what?"

Quite the opposite with me - I don't know if I'll ever get her off my payroll.

I know its really jerk-y of me to admit this, but you really did make me feel better. My kid's not deans list or nuttin' but she's academically where she's 'sposed to be and right on time to grad.

afs
7/31/2006, 07:08 PM
I'll close by saying to the dad's on this board: If your little girls are still home, love 'em hard.

:eek:

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 07:10 PM
:eek:

Just stop it.

Scott D
7/31/2006, 07:51 PM
I know its really jerk-y of me to admit this, but you really did make me feel better. My kid's not deans list or nuttin' but she's academically where she's 'sposed to be and right on time to grad.

yeah but she's an aggie who wants to date another aggie, daddy went wrong somewheres.... ;)

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2006, 08:15 PM
a little dealio i just found out about.

OUHSC has a special program to accept kids to PT school in their senior year of high school. getting accepted makes it a 5 year program.

i'm pushing my oldest girl, who starts her senior year in a couple of weeks, to apply.

It's been around a couple of years. There was a girl in the same orientation group who was pre-accepted. It will be interesting to see how this works out. I wonder how many are granted and how many actually make it in?
Is there a minimum GPA to be maintained?
What about the GRE?
This is a highly competitive field, with hundreds applying for a few spots.
Oh, yeah, and it only applys to in-state high school kids.

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2006, 08:23 PM
Chris Rock: "My responsibility is to keep her off the Poke!" :eek:

critical_phil
7/31/2006, 09:11 PM
I wonder how many are granted and how many actually make it in?
Is there a minimum GPA to be maintained?
What about the GRE?

don't know.

3.25 in pre-reqs, 3.0 overall.

don't know. it didn't say anything about it on the web site.

BajaOklahoma
8/1/2006, 12:38 AM
My daughter applies this Fall.
Forty hours of observation, documented.
Application letter is done.
GRE, not sure what is required. She'll take that in August.
She'll have one required class to take in the Spring.
They did away with the personal interview and letters of recommendation. :(

Okla-homey
8/1/2006, 07:00 AM
My daughter applies this Fall.
Forty hours of observation, documented.
Application letter is done.
GRE, not sure what is required. She'll take that in August.
She'll have one required class to take in the Spring.
They did away with the personal interview and letters of recommendation. :(

I hope anyone pursuing physical therapy as a career is comfortable with the dominating approach. The PT's I had who did me good were the one or two who made me continue even after I thought I didn't have anything left.

BajaOklahoma
8/1/2006, 07:52 AM
Lil Baja can be bossy. And to think of getting paid for it! :D
Every girl's dream, right? :rolleyes: