PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pool havers

1stTimeCaller
7/31/2006, 11:59 AM
How much do you think you spend each month on average to have to pool?

I guess I'm asking how much does one cost in chemicals and other stuff to keep it up along with increased electricity for the pump.

TIA

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 12:04 PM

I guess I'm asking how much does one cost in chemicals and other stuff to keep it up along with increased electricity for the pump.

TIA

100 bucks should about cover it.

Howzit
7/31/2006, 12:10 PM
The guy we bought our house from left a bunch of stuff so I'm not sure I have a good base of knowledge yet. Homey's post sounds about right...

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 12:12 PM
The guy we bought our house from left a bunch of stuff so I'm not sure I have a good base of knowledge yet. Homey's post sounds about right...

That figure does not include big outlays from busted pumps and/or cracked liners. If that happens, bend over.

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 12:12 PM

The SF pool warming (so to speak) gift to 1TC:

http://www.oldtimesigns.net/detail_pics/otsS14.jpg

MamaMia
7/31/2006, 12:14 PM
I have a heated pool, so it depends on the weather. The gas and electricity bills to run the pump and lights were higher this month than ever before. For the seven months I have my pool open, from April to the end of end of October, it averages about 250.00 to 375.00 a month in maintenance, chemicals and utilities. I'm including the rise in my property taxes.

Howzit
7/31/2006, 12:16 PM
That figure does not include big outlays from busted pumps and/or cracked liners. If that happens, bend over.

Yeah, and ours is going to have to be re-surfaced in a year or two.

On a sidenote, I can't keep our lab out of the water. It's hilarious because she thinks the cleaner is HER TOY, but I'm having to back wash every week to week and a half, and I'm sure I'm going to have to clean the DE filter more often than average.

Hamhock
7/31/2006, 12:17 PM
Anyone have a saltwater pool? I heard they're cheaper to maintain.

Howzit
7/31/2006, 12:18 PM

I don't, but I know two guys that have had them taken out after a year or so because they broke down and were going to have to replaced. I know a lot of people swear by them, though.

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 12:19 PM
I have a heated pool, so it depends on the weather. The gas and electricity bills to run the pump and lights were higher this month than ever before. For the seven months I have my pool open, from April to the end of end of October, it averages about 250.00 to 375.00 a month in maintenance, chemicals and utilities. I'm including the rise in my property taxes.

Mom, I expect that heater is killing you. If you just had it open during the hot months, (say Memorial to Labor Day) and didn't use the heater or the lighting effects, it would be quite a bit cheaper right?

Hamhock
7/31/2006, 12:26 PM
I don't, but I know two guys that have had them taken out after a year or so because they broke down and were going to have to replaced. I know a lot of people swear by them, though.

I hate it when water breaks. ;)

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 12:32 PM
It costs me about $15 per month to keep my white trash pool up and going. I wonder how much it costs the neighbor with the pool made out of his pickup bed and a tarp?

Sooner in Tampa
7/31/2006, 12:37 PM
Here in Florida it costs about $25 month on average during the summer. That is just for chlorine...that is all I put in it (for the most part) I need a gallon of muratic acid from time to time, but not very often.

I just bought a big @ss thing of tablets that have a stabilizer in them. It cost me $52 and it lasts about a year. I use them in the winter more than the liquid chlorine that I use in the summer. Liquid Chrlorine right now is $2.99 a gallon

PhxSooner
7/31/2006, 01:39 PM
This is all based on Phoenix pools but...the paper just had an article about saltwater systems destroys the surrounding surfaces. One pool company won't install CoolDeck with a saltwater system because it corrodes the decking from the bottom. Some saltwater pools look pretty murky, too. I think this article said about $50/month on chemicals.

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 01:42 PM
Bottomline for me: I wouldn't avoid a house I liked if it had a pool. Absence of a pool would not be a dealbreaker either. Also, I wouldn't put one in. Maybe I'm just not aquatic enough, but they were more hassle than they're worth to moi. Just saying.

IB4OU2
7/31/2006, 01:45 PM
How much is the increased premium on your insurance if you own a pool?

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 01:59 PM
...and I'm sure I'm going to have to clean the DE filter more often than average.

You have a special filter for David Earl?

Okla-homey
7/31/2006, 02:02 PM

no, its for defensive ends. sheesh.

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 02:10 PM
no, its for defensive ends. sheesh.

According to 1TC, Howzit's end isn't defensive at all. :texan:

1stTimeCaller
7/31/2006, 02:12 PM
Howzit's end. Howzit's end is not defensive one bit. Offensive? Certainly. In a great way.

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 02:18 PM

I think he's talking about the ignore feature.

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 02:19 PM
I think he's talking about the ignore feature.

Oh, in that case, it's probably the other way around.

soonernation
7/31/2006, 02:20 PM
I have a guy come by once a week to clean my pool and check the water quality. He supplies all the chemicals and does all the regular maintenance on the pool. This cost me $120.00 a month and its well worth it. The only thing I keep on hand is some shock in case it rains or the pool gets heavy traffic.

As far as the electrical difference during the summer months it's hard to tell. I'm on average billing so I don't see any big surges in the summer.

IB4OU2
7/31/2006, 02:20 PM

Well, do any pool owners know?

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 02:24 PM

If you have to ask you can't afford a pool. :texan:

IB4OU2
7/31/2006, 02:25 PM
If you have to ask you can't afford a pool. :texan:

You got that right........;)

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 02:25 PM
The only thing I keep on hand is some shock in case it rains or lots of people have been having sex in it.

:eek:

soonernation
7/31/2006, 02:28 PM

Good question. It’s been about 7 years since I messed with the policy on my house so I can't remember how much the increase was. I do remember thinking the increase was surprisingly low. The one thing I do know for sure is you better have gates and locks or you could be in deep **** if some kid decides to go in your back yard for a midnight swim and drowns.

Sooner in Tampa
8/1/2006, 05:28 AM
How much is the increased premium on your insurance if you own a pool?I really couldn't answer that...since I pay almost $4,000 a yr for insurance...it just doesn't matter. :(

BajaOklahoma
8/1/2006, 05:54 AM

I think the cost is pretty much the same. They are becoming more common down here in our area. It costs more to set up the eqipment right now, but the salt is a bit cheaper.

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2006, 06:40 AM
Yeah, and ours is going to have to be re-surfaced in a year or two.

On a sidenote, I can't keep our lab out of the water. It's hilarious because she thinks the cleaner is HER TOY, but I'm having to back wash every week to week and a half, and I'm sure I'm going to have to clean the DE filter more often than average.

my retriever loves to swim as well......i havent bought a single chemical (except for the DE powder which is CHEAP)

i pay 49 bucks a month to a company called "Sparkle", they come out every monday and do all the chemicals

my pump and everything else is covered by my home warranty, so anything that breaks is a $55 deductible.

electricity and water bills are definitely affected by the pool

AlbqSooner
8/1/2006, 07:01 AM
There is a product called "No-Phos" that you can get at pool supply companies. They don't like to tell you about it because it reduces the amount of chemicals you have to buy. My dad found out about it and the stuff is amazing. Crystal clear water all the time and much less chlorine.

MamaMia
8/1/2006, 08:26 AM
Mom, I expect that heater is killing you. If you just had it open during the hot months, (say Memorial to Labor Day) and didn't use the heater or the lighting effects, it would be quite a bit cheaper right?Probably

ultimatesooner1
8/1/2006, 08:51 AM

$0, most companies just require to pool to be fenced. If someone drowns or gets hurt in your pool and you have a liability claim then your rates will go up

MamaMia
8/1/2006, 09:19 AM
$0, most companies just require to pool to be fenced. If someone drowns or gets hurt in your pool and you have a liability claim then your rates will go upWhat went up on me the most was my property value taxes. I have a little cottage bungalow type home on a corner lot. After I put in the pool, a gal came out and asked to be let into my back yard. Two months later I got my new county tax bill. My taxes went up a good 20%, even though the appraiser said that the pool actually lowered the value of my home. :confused:

mrowl
8/1/2006, 09:41 AM
when I had a pool, I had a company come out and do everything, that was about $60 a month.

And the electricity was probably about $30 more.

Sooner_Bob
8/1/2006, 09:43 AM
What went up on me the most was my property value taxes. I have a little cottage bungalow type home on a corner lot. After I put in the pool, a gal came out and asked to be let into my back yard. Two months later I got my new county tax bill. My taxes went up a good 20%, even though the appraiser said that the pool actually lowered the value of my home. :confused:

The assessed value of our home went up almost $20,000 in the last year. I'll just bet Boone Pickens is payin' for this freakin' new "athletic village" . . . gah.

MamaMia
8/1/2006, 11:45 AM
when I had a pool, I had a company come out and do everything, that was about $60 a month.

And the electricity was probably about $30 more.How many times a month did he come out and what all did he supply and what did he do?

Did you have a heater, and if so what did you pay for gas?

Also, how deep are y'alls pools and do you have heaters? If so, what temperature do you keep your water? We keep ours at 92°. I'm asing because it would appear that all in all, I seem to be paying more than anyone.

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2006, 12:04 PM
mom, i have a service that comes weekly (every monday)

49 a month - i dont buy chemicals.....ever

mdklatt
8/1/2006, 12:10 PM
We keep ours at 92°.

Are you talking about a pool or a hot tub?

MamaMia
8/1/2006, 01:04 PM
mom, i have a service that comes weekly (every monday)

49 a month - i dont buy chemicals.....everIt takes about an hour and a half a week to check the water, add the chemicals, skim the pool, vacuum and backwash. Twice a month they go over the slide, the steps, the ladders and the diving board with the cleaner they use for that.

The clorine alone is 120.00 for 50 lbs of 3 in. tabs. There are about 100 tabs in each tub. We use 1 tab a day, so we're spending about 36.00 a month just in clorine. The algaecide is 11.00 an application. You do that once a week, so theres another 44.00 a month. Then you have your clarifier at 10 dollars every 2 weeks. The shoc and liner cleanser is only a couple of times a year but it costs money too.

I would love to have a guy come and do it all and bring everything for 49.00 a month.

mrowl
8/1/2006, 01:08 PM
How many times a month did he come out and what all did he supply and what did he do?

Did you have a heater, and if so what did you pay for gas?

Also, how deep are y'alls pools and do you have heaters? If so, what temperature do you keep your water? We keep ours at 92°. I'm asing because it would appear that all in all, I seem to be paying more than anyone.

came out weekly, he supplied all chemicals, and did everything.

yes, heater, and I don't remember the gas bill ever being over $150 in the winter. I think it was 35,000 gallons with the spa.

mine was in the shade, so the water was always around 85° by this time of year.

jk the sooner fan
8/1/2006, 01:12 PM
mine was in the shade, so the water was always around 85° by this time of year.

oof, mine is like bathwater right now, a nice 92 degrees

with a cool breeze its refreshing

MamaMia
8/1/2006, 01:18 PM
Are you talking about a pool or a hot tub?Its an in ground pool. I have an elderly mother in law and her two retired teacher buddies who come over and do water movement type exercises, sometimes even twice a day. Other than that we keep it at about 84 ish which still uses gas because of the wind factor.

mdklatt
8/1/2006, 01:20 PM
The algaecide is 11.00 an application. You do that once a week, so theres another 44.00 a month.

You might not have so much stuff growing in there if you didn't keep the water so warm. :P

IB4OU2
8/1/2006, 01:28 PM
It takes about an hour and a half a week to check the water, add the chemicals, skim the pool, vacuum and backwash. Twice a month they go over the slide, the steps, the ladders and the diving board with the cleaner they use for that.

The clorine alone is 120.00 for 50 lbs of 3 in. tabs. There are about 100 tabs in each tub. We use 1 tab a day, so we're spending about 36.00 a month just in clorine. The algaecide is 11.00 an application. You do that once a week, so theres another 44.00 a month. Then you have your clarifier at 10 dollars every 2 weeks. The shoc and liner cleanser is only a couple of times a year but it costs money too.

I would love to have a guy come and do it all and bring everything for 49.00 a month.

Cabana Boys ain't cheap mom....;)

MamaMia
8/1/2006, 01:33 PM
You might not have so much stuff growing in there if you didn't keep the water so warm. :PThe water is sparkling and clear. What can cause problems is fertilizers from plants, and we have huge stemmed urns with those pine trees and lots of planters on the corners of the pool. That fertilizer/algae problem happened to me once when we were at an away game one weekend in Sept. I was mortified. That shall never happen again! :P

Now I make certain the algaecide is added once a week, as recommended by pool experts to prevent problems. A certain amount of heat is generated around the pool lights as well, so you also have to protect against any problems arising from that. I have those lights that change colors, so we enjoy the lights.