PDA

View Full Version : I hate Wal-Mart

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 08:34 AM
So, the boy had a birthday party on Saturday at the bowling alley...

3 weeks ago we decided to order the cake for his birthday party. Every year of the boys existance we have ordered the cake from Albertson's. They really have good cake. We always get comments on how good the cake is. So Mrs. Norm takes the boy there to pick out what he wants and they don't have a superman cake (wtf?) so we decide to look elsewhere since he really wanted a Superman theme. So we decided to try Wal-Mart, where yes, they have a Superman cake. So we ordered it. It was to be done by 1:00 on the day of the party.

Fast forward to Saturday. One of the boy's friends had spent the night and he wanted a bologna sandwich for lunch. We don't normally eat bologna, so Mrs. Norm had to go get some. She figured she may as well get it from Wal-Mart and check on the status of the cake. That way she could pick it up if it was already done. Since it was 11am, we figured this was a high possibility. So she went to Wal-Mart. In typical luck-of-the-norm fashion, they had no idea we had ordered the cake, but finally found the ticket. Mrs. Norm told them the party was at 4:00 and they ASSURED her the cake would be done by 3pm. No worries.

So we leave a little early to pick up the cake. We are a bit tired and cranky because we have been taking care of the boy's friend and - well, he is not nearly as well behaved as the boy. We get there at 3:15 and I decide to stay inside the car since she will just be a minute. 5 minutes later I get a phone call from Mrs. Norm. "Uhhh, Norm? Get the kids in here because they aren't done with the cake yet."

So evidently she went in there and they have the cake baked but it was not iced. They tell her they will call her name when it is done. She said "You don't understand - we ordered this cake 3 weeks ago," to which the cake lady replied "So did everyone else. You are the 5th cake in line." Well I come in FUMING and I (as calmly as I could) jumped all over one of the 3 cake ladies. I recognized one lady as the one who we ordered the cake from because she is missing several teeth (no ****). She then told me our cake is next and it will only take about 10 minutes to finish. There is some other dude there waiting for his cake and he says "**** this, I'm going to grab some cupcakes. I can't wait because my party is at 4:00 too." So he splits and I tell him good luck. Well, I'm all over these people to hurry up and one of the other ladies says "Let me tell you the problem. The manager from this area is on vacation and her substitute didn't bother to show up today. I'm just helping out. I don't even work in this area." At this point it is 35 minutes before the party starts. They have yet to start icing my cake. So I go to get the manager.

First I walk up to this old man with a blue smock on and ask "Where can I find he manager?" He stutters (I think I scared him) and tells me to ask one of the ladies in the red smocks. So I march to the ladies in the red smocks and explain to them that I need a manager right this second.

Well, the manager was hiding about 10 feet away. She was wearing plain clothes with a name tag, I assume so nobody can recognize her. She steps out and I explain to her that I ordered a cake 3 weeks ago and the it wasn't done yet and the party is in 35 minutes and maybe she doesn't care but my son thinks the cake is an important addition to his birthday party. So she walks with me back to the bakery, where I explain to her that we've always used Albertson's before and that this is the first time we've used Wal-Mart and that I could assure her that we would NEVER make the mistake of getting a cake from them again. I then tell her that SHE should make sure that her bakery is on top of things and that there are going to be several birthday's ruined because she isn't paying attention to what's going on in her store. So she goes behind the counter and they STILL hadn't started the cake. She finds the cake and pulls it out of the cooling rack and tells them to start icing the cake NOW. She walks out and says "I know this doesn't make things better, but you will not be charged for this cake." Then she asked where the other guy who was waiting on his cake was and I tell her what he said.

By this time it's 25 minutes until party time. I'm thinking I've got 10 minutes to wait and I'll still show up at the party on time, albeit 10 minutes later than we had planned. I'm pacing back and forth in front of the bakery like a shark. Sharks don't pace, but you get the idea. Mrs. Norm is standing about 20 feet away with the kids. Apparently, she was scared of me. Some other lady walks up asking about her cake. It wasn't finished and she had a party at 4 also. She was calling the manager. I told her good luck. She said "I'd better get a discount" to which my wife replied "Discount? We got ours for free!" so she was going to demand for a free cake too.

FINALLY at about 3:50 (10 minutes before party time) they say the cake is done. 30 seconds later, I'm screaming about why the cake isn't in my hand and they tell me they are boxing it up. So they hand me the cake and ... THE PRICE IS STILL ON THE CAKE! I told her that she was told BY THE MANAGER to not charge me for the cake. She started blubbering something so I turn around and start looking for the manager. I happen to see her explaining something to someone in a blue smock sort of near the entrance. I walk up to her (interrupting her) and tell her "I'm just telling you in advance that this cake has a price on it and I'm about to walk out of her without paying for it because you said it was free." She nervously peels the sticker off the cake and off we go.

We got to the the party at about 4:05. Anyone that knows me knows that I am ALWAYS early for everything, so I was quite streessed, especially since there were goign to be 13 kids and 15 or 20 adults there waiting on us. Luckily, the bowling alley did what they said they would do and everything was ready well beforehand. A good time was had by all. I finally calmed down about the time the party was over.

Mjcpr
7/31/2006, 08:40 AM
I'm glad I'm not your heart, Norm.

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 08:42 AM
All that build-up for a birthday cake that was a couple of hours late?

Cue afs....

crawfish
7/31/2006, 08:43 AM
Heh.

We had a similar incident with a Wal-Mart cake years back. We order ours from Sams now - same company, but for some reason they have always been very reliable. Not to mention far better quality.

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 08:48 AM
That's your problem, you invited 13 kids. Quit blaming Wal-Mart and tell the kid to either invite one more or one less kid.

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2006, 08:49 AM
Why do you keep going back to Wal-Mart? You know what they say about repeating the same actions and expecting different results being a definition of insanity.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 08:50 AM
Hey, blame Mrs. Norm for the buildup. I promised NOTHING.

I've said this once before and I only stuck with it for about a year and a half, but I will NEVER step foot in that Wal-Mart again.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 08:55 AM
Why do you keep going back to Wal-Mart? You know what they say about repeating the same actions and expecting different results being a definition of insanity.
The problem has always been that Wal-Mart is 100 yards from my house, whereas Target is across town. In fact, the east side of Norman has about 5% of the stuff that the West side has. Generally, I know what I get when i go to Wal-Mart, so I may get a little angry but I don't complain that much any more. the one time i fully trusted them though and they had to **** me.

tbl
7/31/2006, 08:57 AM
Why would you make a special trip to the store to buy bologna for a misbehaving kid that's not even yours? Tell him to eat the ham or he eats nothing until cake time, however late that might be.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 09:01 AM
Why would you make a special trip to the store to buy bologna for a misbehaving kid that's not even yours? Tell him to eat the ham or he eats nothing until cake time, however late that might be.
Well, we hadn't really prepared for lunch and all we had was PB&J, which we KNEW the twerp doesn't like. And we were out of chips. So we had other reasons for going too. I just threw that in there because I hadn't had bologna in a long time so i wanted to mention it. If she hadn't gone for that, there is no way we would have had any cake.

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2006, 09:02 AM
Back in the day when I was The Boy's age, my mom did all the birthday cake baking and decorating. You oughta tell Mrs. Norm that. :texan:

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 09:07 AM
Mrs. Norm can bake a basic cake, and did for his actual birthday dinner (which was on Friday). Mrs. Norm can't decorate a cake very well though. Mr. Norm does an even worse job though.

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2006, 09:08 AM
Norm, I strongly advise you to send a copy of this to the regional office and corporate. If it was one cake, well, mistakes happen. But several parents were stressed and kids disappointed.
Corporate neds to look at this store.

Other than this, did the boy have a good birthday?

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 09:20 AM
Norm, I strongly advise you to send a copy of this to the regional office and corporate. If it was one cake, well, mistakes happen. But several parents were stressed and kids disappointed.
Corporate neds to look at this store.

Other than this, did the boy have a good birthday?
He had an awesome birthday. We didn't get him too many gifts like we normally do, but they were all quality gifts. And then somehow everyone got him like the perfect gift at his party. He loved them all.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/31/2006, 09:31 AM
Anyone that knows me knows that I am ALWAYS early for everything, so I was quite streessed

This may or may not be true. I'm always late for everything.

If it's any consolation. You're always already there when I arrive.

Sorry I didn't make it to the party. It's probably because I wasn't invited.

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2006, 09:33 AM
Oh and Mrs. Norm should take a Wilton Cake decorating class. Then she could whip out that cake in half a day, but it wouldn't be late.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 09:35 AM
He's really interested in being a doctor, so my mom (who is an RN and a case manager) bought him a real stethoscope and 2 sets of scrubs (red and blue) with his name embroidered on it and OU on the sleeve. A bunch of the girls at mom's work threw together lot of things like masks and hats to go with it. Here he is when we got home that night.

http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/3964/sethscrubssj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

It's going to double as a halloween costume.

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 09:38 AM
I just threw that in there because I hadn't had bologna in a long time so i wanted to mention it.

$1.99 for 16oz. package of Oscar Meyer. Same price in every Wal-Mart nationwide. I don't eat bologna, but I do check prices of a number of shopping items as an element of my job. $1.99 for Ball Park Franks. Any other prices you would like to know?

fadada1
7/31/2006, 09:39 AM
"I'M NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TODAY!!!"

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 09:40 AM

For him or you?

Soonrboy
7/31/2006, 09:41 AM
So, how many precious moments statues do you have?

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 09:42 AM
This may or may not be true. I'm always late for everything.

If it's any consolation. You're always already there when I arrive.

Sorry I didn't make it to the party. It's probably because I wasn't invited.
Sorry about that. I assumed that since you didn't bother to invite us to yours you didn't want to go to his.

We ended up having 3 extra spots to bowl too. Dern no show uppers.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 09:43 AM
So, how many precious moments statues do you have?
Me? I don't have any. Those are all Mrs. Norm's. I think last time I counted, it was somewhere around 3 billion, give or take a few billion. More than needed, that's for sure.

IB4OU2
7/31/2006, 09:51 AM
He's really interested in being a doctor, so my mom (who is an RN and a case manager) bought him a real stethoscope and 2 sets of scrubs (red and blue) with his name embroidered on it and OU on the sleeve. A bunch of the girls at mom's work threw together lot of things like masks and hats to go with it. Here he is when we got home that night.

http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/3964/sethscrubssj3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Norm maybe the boy could make some extra candy money taking our BP at the tailgates. Lord knows I need to stay on top of mine...:D

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2006, 09:54 AM
Me? I don't have any. Those are all Mrs. Norm's. I think last time I counted, it was somewhere around 3 billion, give or take a few billion. More than needed, that's for sure.

Has Mrs. Norm made you go to the Precious Moments Chapel down in Carthage? Y'all should run up there before school starts back up.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 09:57 AM
Has Mrs. Norm made you go to the Precious Moments Chapel down in Carthage? Y'all should run up there before school starts back up.
She went there with my brother's wife once, but I didn't go. IT WAS AWESOME. Not going, of course.

BudSooner
7/31/2006, 09:58 AM
Norm, its like i've always said..**** walmart.
They have nothing I want/need/desire for free or otherwise.
Sorry to hear about how badly that went, I know what your saying d00d...those people are clods.

Tear Down This Wall
7/31/2006, 10:03 AM
That's funny how people buy cakes at Wal-Mart and such. Cakes are made at bakeries. Wal-Mart technically has a "bakery," but....

Mjcpr
7/31/2006, 10:04 AM
That's funny how people buy cakes at Wal-Mart and such. Cakes are made at bakeries. Wal-Mart technically has a "bakery," but....

But what......?

:confused:

BudSooner
7/31/2006, 10:07 AM
Isn't a bakery in name only?
I get ours at Anns Bakery, never had a problem getting them there.

Tear Down This Wall
7/31/2006, 10:18 AM
But what......?

:confused:

I think it was Fletch's boss Frank who said, "You go to Utah, you stay in Utah!" I say, "You buy a cake at Wal-Mart, you've bought a cake at Wal-Mart!"

frankensooner
7/31/2006, 10:24 AM
Those store-bought cakes always do a number on my stomach, does anyone else have that problem? I could only imagine what a Wal Mart cake would do to me, the Crest cake we got for my MIL sure made for a fun weekend.

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 10:25 AM
The wife buys the kids cakes at Sams I think. Although she has gong to Kroger and Albertsons too. She is so on top of these things, its what made her so damn good at being a school teacher - she was organized to the hilt and anticipated nearly every contingency. She knows just how far in advance to order things - not too early, not too late - and when to check on them. I just show up when she tells me to. I also bitch about the cost of things, I figure that is my job.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 10:26 AM
Like I say, the only reason we went there was because Albertson's didn't have what we wanted and I have no idea where else to go. Albertson's has always worked out good for us. We like their cakes and they are dependable.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/31/2006, 10:27 AM
But why'd you buy a cake from Wal-mart of all places?

:rcmad:

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 10:28 AM
Those store-bought cakes always do a number on my stomach, does anyone else have that problem? I could only imagine what a Wal Mart cake would do to me, the Crest cake we got for my MIL sure made for a fun weekend.
It didn't make me sick or anything, but I will say that it was too damned sweet. it wasn't completely horrible or anything.

I need to learn how to do it myself. I always have problems with the frosting. i always tear the cake no matter how much icing I load on the spatula.

frankensooner
7/31/2006, 10:29 AM

Because Best Buy doesn't have a bakery! ;)

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 10:32 AM

I dunno. I don't know where else to go. I could have tried some random bakery, but I wouldn't know if they sucked or not. I guess my chances would have been better though.

I mean, it was cheaper so I figured we would try it. I guess you generally get what you pay for.

frankensooner
7/31/2006, 10:32 AM
We had a neighbor take a couple of those cake-decorating classes and then she made her own cakes up that were so good. She charged about twice what the stores do, but they were so good. She made this beautiful castle cake that we got for my neice for her b-day (it was her gift cause we paid the lady like 50 bucks for the cake) but it was a monster cake. Then the lady's husband got transferred to Florida. :(

IB4OU2
7/31/2006, 10:33 AM
Isn't a bakery in name only?
I get ours at Anns Bakery, never had a problem getting them there.

Merrits does a good job too.

Mjcpr
7/31/2006, 10:35 AM
I think it was Fletch's boss Frank who said, "You go to Utah, you stay in Utah!" I say, "You buy a cake at Wal-Mart, you've bought a cake at Wal-Mart!"

Oh, I see now.

BajaOklahoma
7/31/2006, 10:36 AM
She went there with {B}my brother's sister [/B]once, but I didn't go. IT WAS AWESOME. Not going, of course.

Okay, I'll do it. Wouldn't this make her your sister, too?

To get the frosting on correctly, you have to put a "crumb coat" on first. Basically, you thin some of the frosting with water, gently coat the sides and top, let it dry to touch. Then you put on the frosting. It goes on smoother and no crumbs.
Wilton Cake Decorating Class, lesson one.
Plus, they have the Superman cake pans. In fact, I think there's one in my attic. If only you'd ask....

Mjcpr
7/31/2006, 10:36 AM
It didn't make me sick or anything, but I will say that it was too damned sweet. it wasn't completely horrible or anything.

Always get the whipped cream frosting, people.

Trust me.

Boarder
7/31/2006, 10:38 AM
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/02/34/56/78/90/0234567890547_215X215.jpg

Norm's next birthday present.

Next time you need a cake for any occasion, let me know. I'll hook you up.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/31/2006, 10:47 AM
Wal-Hell is the devil!

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 10:48 AM
Okay, I'll do it. Wouldn't this make her your sister, too?

To get the frosting on correctly, you have to put a "crumb coat" on first. Basically, you thin some of the frosting with water, gently coat the sides and top, let it dry to touch. Then you put on the frosting. It goes on smoother and no crumbs.
Wilton Cake Decorating Class, lesson one.
Plus, they have the Superman cake pans. In fact, I think there's one in my attic. If only you'd ask....
Oops - I melded brother's wife and sister-in-law. Technically though, he's my half brother so his sister isn't related to me at all.

ahhhh - I need to learn such things. You should have seen the last cake I made for my wife. It wasn't pretty.

pb4ou
7/31/2006, 10:49 AM
heh

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/31/2006, 10:49 AM
I dunno. I don't know where else to go. I could have tried some random bakery, but I wouldn't know if they sucked or not. I guess my chances would have been better though.

I mean, it was cheaper so I figured we would try it. I guess you generally get what you pay for.

No, see I was asking the same question everyone else was asking. Trying to MAke you MELTDOWN!!!!! BWAHHH!H!!HH!H!hH!H!H1hhhqhq!!!

And if Boarder can't help next time, a lady I work with up here make custom cakes that are BEAUTIFUL. And she's does them for pretty cheap because she just likes doing it. Everyone up here knows that anytime you need a cake - for any occasion - call her.

And even if the cake episode sucked and all that it's obvious that my Boy had an awesome birthday and that's what counts, right?

You guys are very good to him he seems to have an appreciation for things even if he is very young. And I think that's awesome.

So, YAY NORM FAMILY!

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 10:50 AM
Always get the whipped cream frosting, people.

Trust me.

I think that you meant this post to be in the sexual fetish forum.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 10:51 AM
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/02/34/56/78/90/0234567890547_215X215.jpg

Norm's next birthday present.

Next time you need a cake for any occasion, let me know. I'll hook you up.
I was thinking your mom made cakes, but I thought she only did it as a hobby. I actually thought of her when Albertson's fell through.

SoonerGeek's mom has owned her own cake shop for years and her cakes are awesome. I never miss any SoonerGeek event when she is making a cake for it. I didn't want anyone to make a 3 hour drive for a cake though.

AMSooner
7/31/2006, 10:54 AM
I make cakes too, although I usually only make one per year for Mr. AMSooner. They are very time-consuming. I'm sure I will start making more once the kid gets here.

Boarder
7/31/2006, 11:14 AM
It is kind of a hobby for her, but she has been making several here lately for a bunch of my friends' birthdays, etc.

She hasn't gotten into huge wedding cakes, yet, but that may be coming.

afs
7/31/2006, 11:17 AM
"Fool me once
Shame on you
Fool me twice
Shame on me."

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 11:20 AM
"Fool me once
Shame on you
Fool me twice
err, umm, won't get fooled again."

fixed it for you.

SoonerInKCMO
7/31/2006, 11:24 AM
"Fool me once
Shame on you
Fool me twice
Shame on me."

"Fool me 743 times..."

TopDaugIn2000
7/31/2006, 11:29 AM
last year my mom got my cake at albertson's. chocolate cake with chocolate icing and chocolate cream filling.

oh GOOD GOD was it yummy.

TopDaugIn2000
7/31/2006, 11:30 AM
And then somehow everyone got him like the perfect gift at his party. He loved them all.

might be cause you registered?????? :D:P :D

MamaMia
7/31/2006, 11:57 AM
As a guest at parties where they have store bought cakes, I have noticed that Albertsons does make a much better cake than Walmart. Next time you may want to just bake a loaf cake and order a cake decorating kit. I know you may be pressed for time, but I'll bet an aunt or grandmother would love to help. :)

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/novelties/superman/superman.htm

Sooner_Bob
7/31/2006, 12:23 PM
Sounds like it's high time to open up a bakery in Norman.

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 12:23 PM
Lesson: always tell them you need the cake the day before the party. Help hired in stores like this and fast food restaraunts have a collective IQ of about 20. Ya know, a thought just occured! We need to raise the minimun wage for these brain dead idiots. I don't know who is more incompetent. These so called employees or members of congress.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 12:27 PM
From the above link, here was his cake:

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/novelties/superman/CK-386C.jpg

Mjcpr
7/31/2006, 12:30 PM
Awww, Kyle in Norman.

What a great name.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 12:33 PM
yeah, I was really ****ed when they got the name wrong.

OKC Sooner
7/31/2006, 12:34 PM
I think that you meant this post to be in the sexual fetish forum.
We have a sexual fetish forum???? Dang it, why am I always the last to know these things!!! :mad:

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 12:34 PM

Don't need one when you've got two Wal-Marts. :texan:

Mrs. Norm
7/31/2006, 12:40 PM
Lesson: always tell them you need the cake the day before the party. Help hired in stores like this and fast food restaraunts have a collective IQ of about 20. Ya know, a thought just occured! We need to raise the minimun wage for these brain dead idiots. I don't know who is more incompetent. These so called employees or members of congress.

Lesson: NEVER ORDER A CAKE FROM WAL-MART!! As Norm said, we have never had a problem with Albertson's. Some of you had said to order it way before you need it. I asked for it to be done at 1:00. The party started at 4! I figured if there was a problem, 3 hours should be okay. It was 3:15 (2 hours and 15 minutes late) and they hadn't iced it yet.

Jimminy Crimson
7/31/2006, 01:23 PM
For big stores, Albertson's and Super Target have dece bakeries.

I throw up outside my mouth every time I go to WalFart

crawfish
7/31/2006, 01:25 PM
Always get the whipped cream bikini, people.

Trust me.

TMI, dude.

soonerbrat
7/31/2006, 01:29 PM
Darlene's cakes in Moore is the BEST, and not that expensive. they put a layer of boston creme in the chocolate cakes...yummy

Soonrboy
7/31/2006, 01:29 PM
Here's what my wife did once for a Dora cake: Albertsons didn't have it..but wal-mart had all the decorations. She bought the decorations from Wal-mart's bakery people (I don't know how much) and took them to Albertsons.

She tells me this story as I am telling her Norm's story. Who knew?

PhxSooner
7/31/2006, 01:34 PM
We always get our cakes at Safeway (two layers, yummy stuff!), but my daughter wanted a My Little Pony cake this year and only Wal-Mart had it. Meh. At least ours was ready on time, but nowhere near as nice as Safeway.

My parents waited until I got married and moved across the country to start getting birthday cakes at Merritt's.:mad:

85Sooner
7/31/2006, 01:51 PM
Lesson: NEVER ORDER A CAKE FROM WAL-MART!! As Norm said, we have never had a problem with Albertson's. Some of you had said to order it way before you need it. I asked for it to be done at 1:00. The party started at 4! I figured if there was a problem, 3 hours should be okay. It was 3:15 (2 hours and 15 minutes late) and they hadn't iced it yet.

Albertsons is a closen. a few stores now and the rest later.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 01:56 PM
Really? Oh crap. That place is really expensive, but the produce and meats are way better than anyplace else around here. I guess I'm going to have to find a butcher somewhere to get my fresh meat now, and use Farmer's Market on saturdays (if there isn't a game).

MamaMia
7/31/2006, 03:57 PM
Another idea would be to order the cake kit and give it to the bakery of your choice. I'll just bet they would give you a great price if you supplied your own decorations. :)

TheBigRedMachine
7/31/2006, 05:29 PM

La Baguette?

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 05:41 PM
Really? Oh crap. That place is really expensive, but the produce and meats are way better than anyplace else around here. I guess I'm going to have to find a butcher somewhere to get my fresh meat now, and use Farmer's Market on saturdays (if there isn't a game).

They haven't ear marked them for closure yet so you are safe for now. They closed about four of them in Oklahoma initially.

SoonerBorn68
7/31/2006, 05:59 PM
Hey Norm, four years ago we had a similar problem with the Wally bakery. We had ordered a cake, a chocolate one with monster trucks, for the boy. When Mrs. '68 ordered it she had stated to the cake lady that she wanted it to by iced with "'68's Boy's 2", and the cake lady asked if she wanted anything else Mrs. '68 replied, "No, just like this".

Well, the day of the party we call & ask if the cake's ready...it was, so it's my duty as dad to go pick it up. I went about 2 hrs. before & picked up the cake. I was in a hurry & didn't even look at it. To Mrs. '68's horror she opened the box & in it sat a plain chocolate cake with a few hot wheels stuck on top with the following: "'68's Boy is 2, just like this" :eek:

Mrs. '68 went ape ****! She called, I went back up there. I don't know what was said, but the cake was fixed and ready for my inspection with no charge when I got there. :D

It's still something we laugh about every time it's birthday time for one of the kids.

Rogue
7/31/2006, 06:20 PM

It's going to double as a prison jumpsuit meets lunchlady costume

Fixed.:D :D

And that's gotta be the biggest damn stethoscope on the planet!

Mrs. Norm
7/31/2006, 07:09 PM
Fixed.:D :D

And that's gotta be the biggest damn stethoscope on the planet!

The boy is about 3 1/2 feet tall. That stethoscope is a real one....could be used by real doctors. Of course it is big.

Yes, I'm a momma defending her cub. Lay off!!!! :D

BeetDigger
7/31/2006, 07:13 PM
The boy is about 3 1/2 feet tall. That stethoscope is a real one....could be used by real doctors. Of course it is big.

Yes, I'm a momma defending her cub. Lay off!!!! :D

He's a cute kid. Of course by giving him the stethascope you are just asking for him to play doctor with the girls in the neighborhood. Has Norm already asked him if he can borrow it, so that he can, err, umm, give you a physical? :D

Mrs. Norm
7/31/2006, 07:15 PM
He's a cute kid. Of course by giving him the stethascope you are just asking for him to play doctor with the girls in the neighborhood. Has Norm already asked him if he can borrow it, so that he can, err, umm, give you a physical? :D

LOL! I hope we're not raising a perv, now that you mention it. :P

afs
7/31/2006, 07:39 PM
All that build-up for a birthday cake that was a couple of hours late?

Cue afs....

wow, anti-climatic.

good story though not quite worst thread evar material.

Sooner_Bob
7/31/2006, 08:49 PM

I see you've married a Precious Moments collector too . . .

Mrs. Norm
7/31/2006, 09:43 PM
I see you've married a Precious Moments collector too . . .

I love those little things! As a matter of fact, I was cleaning my figurines/cabinet, and I went through my pieces. My sister had given me a book that lists the worth of each piece. Many of mine were retired/rare. I added up my pieces to over $900!!! That didn't include my big dolls or Christmas ornaments. Of course Norm wanted to go pawn them. :rolleyes:

TopDaugIn2000
7/31/2006, 10:03 PM
best cake I've EVER had was a few weeks ago at a bachelorette party. it was from a place called "Raspberries and Cream" (I think), in Edmond. It was a triple layer with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry (the strawberry was in the middle, had a pudding mixture with real berries in it). and the icing...oh God the icing....it was HEAVEN. Seriously.

not the kind of cake to serve at a kid's bday party though. I imagine it was pretty pricey. I'm gonna get one next week for my boss's last day, so I may have to take out a loan.

Hamhock
8/2/2006, 08:32 AM
I only needed two things: butcher's twine and some brads for a school project for the kids. I asked 11 people and was told 8 different areas:

Butcher's Twine

#1 Manager - "I have no idea"...keeps walking
#2 "Try arts and crafts"
#3 "Try sporting goods" I really scratched my head at this one.
#4 "It's over by the meat" he said it like i was stupid for not knowing this.
#5 "It's in housewares, by the meat thermometers"
#6 "I don't know"

Brads:

#1 "Try arts and crafts"
#2 "School supplies"
#3 "Arts and crafts"
#4 I don't know
#5 "Office supplies"

I guess I'll go to Albertson's for the butcher's twine and the kids will have to do their school project today without brads.

Wal-Mart, I love you.

Norm In Norman
8/2/2006, 09:06 AM
**** YEAH!