PDA

View Full Version : F'n C0X part II

Jerk
7/30/2006, 04:23 PM
My connection sucks. sucks bad. I might as well be on dial up.

I've tried almost everything: wireless connection thru router, ethernet cable straight to modem, router, no router, move modem to different cable outlet, remove NIC from motherboard and use the built-in ethernet, sumbit**, it doesn't matter what I do. F'n cox says it's me, not them. F'n Cox. The modem is less than 6 mos. old, but maybe it's a peice of sh**

Argghhhh...

Just wait until I start suffering withdrawal sympoms from not being able to play my game.

King Crimson
7/30/2006, 04:31 PM
that stinks. i had a bit of a struggle getting my new ethernet connection up and going on Friday. it's frustrating.

BoogercountySooner
7/30/2006, 05:38 PM
Hey Jerk have ya cleaned out your Spyware lately? If ya haven't clean it up and try again use spybot or Adaware they're free. Just sayin

Jerk
7/30/2006, 05:45 PM
Hey Jerk have ya cleaned out your Spyware lately? If ya haven't clean it up and try again use spybot or Adaware they're free. Just sayin

Yeah bro, I ran the full adware scan today.

BoogercountySooner
7/30/2006, 05:47 PM
Cox SUcks!

Can I say that?

King Crimson
7/30/2006, 05:49 PM
will cox not send someone to the house to have a look?

Jerk
7/30/2006, 06:13 PM
Well I got the olde computer booted up and it works fine.

hmm.....

At least it's not those f'n cox. I can rule that out. It's my computer. I don't know if it's software or hardware.

Jerk
7/30/2006, 06:17 PM
Guess I'll go to pcpitstop.com and let them check my hardware.

Vaevictis
7/30/2006, 11:59 PM
Have you tried running a traceroute?

Run one to google or something, and ping your first hop for a little while. See if you're getting unreasonable packet loss or latency.

Also, are you using the same cable when connecting your new computer to the modem/router as when you connected the old one? (it could feasibly be a funky cable)

olevetonahill
7/31/2006, 12:05 AM
At least on dial up I dont have those problems :eek:

critical_phil
7/31/2006, 12:14 AM
the sales dude from :chicken: called me the other day with a pitch about how i could save $18/month by doing some different bundle or whatnot. so i went with it.

5 minutes later, i everything went kaput. i love dealing with their customer support. i didn't find out until the following day that all of my e-mail passwords no longer worked either. i haven't even tried to sort that out yet.

OUstud
7/31/2006, 12:16 AM
PERSONAL COX STORY

'Twas the winter of 2002, and we were getting cable upstairs in the 3 bedrooms (game room already had cable--will be significant later). For once, Cox shows up on time, at around the time I left for school, 8 or so. When I got home, what seems like the entire Cox Team was there, supposedly installing 3 cable outlets.

A couple of hours pass, and they finally head out around 5 or 6. So basically a 10 hour work day to install some outlets. But, my room had cable, so who was I to complain. I noticed something weird in the game room though, they had installed an outlet not 4 feet from one we already had.

Now, our game room is above the garage, and so its outer wall faces the street. The next morning, I come downstairs to get ready for school, and my mom is p***ed. She tells me to come out front...and on the wall above the garage, there is a black cable that stretches horizontally from one end of the front of our house to the other.

Ten hours of work to install an outlet that wasn't necessary and to have a huge cable sprawling across our house. :mad:

Jerk
7/31/2006, 06:05 AM
Of everything I've done, the only thing I can find is that my connection is having a 20% packet loss.

WTF causes that?

nanimonai
7/31/2006, 07:48 AM
I just realized I've been "renting" my cable modem from Cox for about 7 years at $10 per month. I've paid them about $800 so far for a $50 cable modem....

Mjcpr
7/31/2006, 08:59 AM
I just realized I've been "renting" my cable modem from Cox for about 7 years at $10 per month. I've paid them about $800 so far for a $50 cable modem....

That ain't Cox's fault.

If it makes you feel any better, mine was "free". :D

jeremy885
7/31/2006, 09:12 AM
heh, I don't feel as bad now for buying it from them for $150.

frankensooner
7/31/2006, 09:35 AM
We have ATT DSL Pro and it is very fast. Don't even consider installing their software, unless you want your puter screwed up, but the service rocks.

nanimonai
7/31/2006, 09:47 AM
That ain't Cox's fault.

If it makes you feel any better, mine was "free". :D

Yeah I'm an idiot, sweet deal for Cox. :texan: