PDA

View Full Version : Norman road trip advice

SoCal boy
7/30/2006, 12:34 PM
Our family is taking my in-laws to Oklahoma for a game this year. My father-in-law grew up in Oklahoma, but has never been to a Sooner football game. Any advice out there on where to stay and events to attend to get the ultimate Sooner experience? Stay in Norman, or Oklahoma City? Thanks for your help!!!

King Crimson
7/30/2006, 12:37 PM
i'd stay in Norman, but OKC's Bricktown district is pretty happening these days as far as dining. lodging, and nightlife.

Rogue
7/30/2006, 12:54 PM
I'd recommend staying in Norman. Traffic from out of town can really be the succ on gameday.
Coaches used to be a good place to dine around good Sooner Memorabilia.
If you get in town early enough the Switzer Center (at the stadium) well worth checking out. The multi-story walk-around trophy cases are amazing and the memorabilia in there is amazing. Campus Corner is sometimes decent for some pre-game festivities, buying some OU souvenirs, etc. For a one-time visit I'd find out about where the band will be before the game and see all of their stuff.

Really if he hasn't been, the Switzer Center is great!

sooner518
7/30/2006, 01:58 PM
I'd say check out north of the stadium for all the crap they usually have goin on there on gameday. If youre into tailgating, all of the tailgating happens south of the stadium, along Lyndsey St. You probably arent interested in getting there early enough to do this though as most of those people ahve their tents set up by Thursday night. But its cool to see all the people set up over there.

I'd definitely second the Switzer Center suggestion as well if you're really into OU football.

You really cant go wrong with just walking around the stadium in the hours before the game and soaking it all in.

As far as nightlife the day before the game, I love the laidback feel of Norman (maybe its becuase I went to OU and everyone loves their old college town). Go to the Library Bar and Grill on the corner of Boyd and College for a nice, laidback bar with a sweet patio that isnt teeming with the frat guys you find at the campus corner bars.

AlabamaSooner
7/30/2006, 03:42 PM
The Switzer Center is a must. However, if you haven't made reservations yet, you might have to settle for staying in Moore or OKC. I would at least hit up Campus Corner once and check it out. Also, if you like BBQ, Van's Pig Stand is really awesome. It's just north of Main Street on Porter. Coach's is always a safe bet for a good time and good food. Make sure to just talk a walk around the campus as well. It's one of the most beautiful in the nation so take it in. :)

yermom
7/30/2006, 03:54 PM
The Mont is usually fun on the patio before games, we ran into TGRW there right after he got drafted the Friday before a home game

i'd try to stay in Norman unless you want to get here early and stay late

101sooner
7/30/2006, 04:03 PM
Since it's a family trip, I would recommend having dinner at Sugars. It's only a few blocks from the stadium. It can be a bit expensive, but your father-in-law will have a great time.

sooner518
7/30/2006, 05:18 PM
Since it's a family trip, I would recommend having dinner at Sugars. It's only a few blocks from the stadium. It can be a bit expensive, but your father-in-law will have a great time.
haha Id like to correct this post. It is spelled SugEr's. And you can tell by the playful misspelling that it is indeed a very classy place.

Big Red Ron
7/30/2006, 05:34 PM
Heh, Suger's. Good times.

I have to tell ya, if you wan't to impress anyone who may not have been to Oklahoma or it has been years since they've been here, etc...I have to urge you to get a hotel in Downtown OKC. Stay at the Courtyard in Bricktown. If you come in Oct. or November you might be able to hit a Hornets game. It's a great time and very family frendly.

Either way, you'll love Bricktown and there will be thousands of Sooner fans from all over the state staying in Bricktown on gameday. The trafic on game day isn't like trafic on the 405 at about 3:00 pm. ;) Just leave Bricktown with two hours before kick off and you'll have plenty of time to get to the game and hang out for more than an hour pre game and be able to have a great time all night after the game in Norman. Lot's of great place Stoops owns a resturant named Louies on Campus Corner and Al Eschbach's is a good place to visit drunkytown.

Enjoy your visit.

PS. Stay away from Suger's

SoCal boy
7/30/2006, 06:10 PM
All,

Thanks so much for your suggestions!!! I do appreciate the input, and it sounds like it will be a tough call between staying in Norman or Bricktown. We do plan on staying the whole weekend, so that should give us some flexibility. We'll just plan on leaving for the game early in the morning, if we go for Bricktown.

sooner518 and Big Red Ron,

Thanks for setting me straight on Suger's. It would have been quite an education for my 12 year old son, perhaps my father-in-law too.

Any other suggestions continue to be appreciated!!!

Big Red Ron
7/30/2006, 06:25 PM
If you do stay in Bricktown, wear comfortable shoes and just start walking. Taking the Ferry is cooler than it seems like it will be too.

In Norman, on game day the SE corner of the stadium is where the hardcore drunks hang out (You'll find me there every game day ;))
Campus Corner is about a block north of the N endzone. They sell beer in troths in both spots, it's okay to carry open containers on game day (hoo ha).

North side is where the cheerleadrs and band hang and prepair before the game...have a great time.

Big Red Ron
7/30/2006, 06:31 PM
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/images/usa/oklahoma-city.jpg

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/i-34240.jpg
http://www.kenbiddle.com/photos/bricktown.jpg

http://www.okconline.com/fun/Brick/Bricktown2.jpg

SoCal boy
7/30/2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks Big Red Ron,

Individual game tickets go on sale Tuesday Aug 1st. Anybody know if tickets are easy to purchase directly, or will I have to go through a broker? Thanks!!

sooner518
7/30/2006, 06:33 PM
sooner518 and Big Red Ron,

Thanks for setting me straight on Suger's. It would have been quite an education for my 12 year old son, perhaps my father-in-law too.

Any other suggestions continue to be appreciated!!!
Ive never actually been to Sugers, but Ive heard stories. I think its the kind of place you guy with your buddies when youre drunk and want to laugh alot and drink more. Apparently their beer is really cheap.

But I also second The Mont. Its a Norman tradition and a very cool atmosphere.

If youre gonna stay in OKC, make sure and take highway 77/Flood into Norman. Youll bypass all the traffic on Lyndsey and come out right close to campus. As for parking, pay 10 bucks and park north of the stadium at all the college kid's houses up there. I used to have a house on Monnett 2 blocks north of Boyd and every house sold parking on their yard.

Big Red Ron
7/30/2006, 06:34 PM
Heh Kid Rock kickin it with some local talent at the Bricktown ball park...

http://myweb.cableone.net/bigronbo/Ron%20with%20Kid%20Rock%20fans%20in%20Bricktown%20 in%20OKC%204-3-04%203.jpg

Big Red Ron
7/30/2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks Big Red Ron,

Individual game tickets go on sale Tuesday Aug 1st. Anybody know if tickets are easy to purchase directly, or will I have to go through a broker? Thanks!!It depends on the game really. Scalping is legal in Norman. So, there's plenty of tickets to be purchased on gameday from a multitude of scalpers. After the first game you should be able to get tickets very easily on game day if you get there a couple hours prior to kick off.

Brokers already have most individual tickets, especially in group sizes, together. I have always paid a great deal more through a broke than from a scalper.

Big Red Ron
7/30/2006, 06:49 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/confs/big12/graphics/spring_championships/m-basebl-sbc-bricktown.gif

Have I convinced you to stay in Bricktown yet? ;)

Just messin around. I am obviously bored. :D

SoCal boy
7/30/2006, 08:23 PM
Big Red Ron,

Bricktown sounds great!! Plus, my father-in-law may want to show the family his origins in Flint, OK. I think staying in Norman will add some time on the drive to Flint.

Thanks for all your help!!!

King Crimson
7/30/2006, 08:28 PM
you'll probably need to get a beer at O'Connell's gameday, since that's just what you do. sf.com has a tailgate as well.

yermom
7/30/2006, 10:05 PM
I used to have a house on Monnett 2 blocks north of Boyd and every house sold parking on their yard.

most of those houses North of the stadium are a donor parking lot now...

don't pay more than $10 for parking, that is what OU charges to park in the Elm garage or in the other OU lots

Big Red Ron
7/30/2006, 10:40 PM
This just in, that isn't Kid Rock. My bad. lol

yermom
7/30/2006, 11:46 PM
i was wondering about that...

SoCal boy
7/31/2006, 09:32 PM
Those people in the background didn't look like the typical Hard Rocker Posse that would be traveling with him. The Bricktown Ballpark looks fun. What's the baseball team's name?

Soonrboy
7/31/2006, 09:55 PM
The Redhawks.

Sooner98
7/31/2006, 10:57 PM
You might think about staying in Bricktown Friday night, then in Norman Saturday night after the game, just so you don't have to mess with the traffic after the game. Which game are you going to, by the way? Just keep in mind that if you come to a game in early to mid September, it will be plenty hot. Of course, I think the first game is a night game, so that wouldn't be too bad.

Another suggestion for parking, which I always do, is to park at Lloyd Noble Center (about a mile south of the stadium). Parking there is free, with only a two dollar shuttle fee to the stadium. Just remember if you do that, that the shuttle stops taking people back to their cars one hour after the game (I learned this the hard way one time). After that, you will have to walk a mile back to your car.

SoCal boy
8/1/2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks Sooner98! The shuttle sounds like a good idea. We're shooting for the Texas Tech game, since its over a 3-day weekend. That'll give us an extra day for taking everything in. Sounds like we can get tickets the weekend of the game, even if they're sold out tomorrow.

Sooner in Tampa
8/1/2006, 05:37 AM
It depends on the game really. Scalping is legal in Norman. So, there's plenty of tickets to be purchased on gameday from a multitude of scalpers. After the first game you should be able to get tickets very easily on game day if you get there a couple hours prior to kick off.

Brokers already have most individual tickets, especially in group sizes, together. I have always paid a great deal more through a broke than from a scalper.So you are saying that it would be a safe bet to fly into town and stay for weekend...and tickets would be easy to come by?

King Crimson
8/1/2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks Sooner98! The shuttle sounds like a good idea. We're shooting for the Texas Tech game, since its over a 3-day weekend. That'll give us an extra day for taking everything in. Sounds like we can get tickets the weekend of the game, even if they're sold out tomorrow.

one could also easily walk from the LNC to Owen Field, and vice versa.

SoCal boy
8/1/2006, 11:44 AM
I ended up getting tickets to the Tech game this morning. Is the open end zone typically for the visiting team's fans? Thanks.

boomersoonerdude
8/1/2006, 12:26 PM
Stay in Norman, then hit Brick Town for the night scenes then return to Campus Corner and finish up the night.

SoCal boy
8/2/2006, 03:20 PM
Decided to stay in Norman, and we'll run to Bricktown for an evening. Where is the best steak in Norman served? Thanks in advance.