PDA

View Full Version : Innocents Abroad, or what I did on my summer vacation

TUSooner
7/30/2006, 08:00 AM
I know better than to ask if anyone even noticed I've been away for 3 weeks, but here are just a few highlights, lowlights and observations from the Great TUSooner Family Vacation of 2006. (And, lest anyone get the wrong ideer, we are NOT seasoned world travelers; this was our first vacation further than Oklahoma or Florida in 22 years.)

Paris. I liked this city waaaaay more than I imagined I would. Partly because Mrs TU's excellent cousins were the perfect hosts, translators, guides and teachers. The city is beautiful. The food was fabulous. I even got to use my 23-word French vocabulary.

I saw the first day of the British Open w/ my bro. Very cool.

Walked across Abbey Road (but my Abbey Road coffee cup got broken between NY & NOLA :( ).

There are approximately 74 English people living in London; the rest are Arabs, West Indians, East Indians, Chinese, and Africans.

The weather was too hot.

Beer with my cousin at the Red Lion, in Burbage, Hinckley, Leicestershire

London & Paris were clogged with annoying tourists from (in order of annoyance)
1 (tie) China/Korea/Japan
2 Italy,
3 (tie) Germany & the USA

If - heaven forbid - the USA ever runs out of attractive female persons, London & Paris have plenty extra (New York City does not)

We lost our camera - and all the Paris photos - on the way to the train station. :mad: :(

I really knew I was home when we arrived in New York and the public service announcements at the airport were in Spanish.

We did not come across any rude people at all (except the tourist mobs); people were great in London, Paris & NY.

It was just about the perfect vacation because we had an awesome time and were still glad to get home.

My next bank statement is being written by Stephen King. :eek:

BajaOklahoma
7/30/2006, 08:13 AM
I don't believe that you lost your camera, you just don't want to become fark material.
Glad you're back.

OUinFLA
7/30/2006, 08:35 AM
You were gone?

Okla-homey
7/30/2006, 09:39 AM
Glad you didn't get assploded. See any mad cows?

nmsoonergirl
7/30/2006, 09:51 AM
So glad you had a great time, and that you made it home safely!

TUSooner
7/30/2006, 09:53 AM
Glad you didn't get assploded. See any mad cows?
Me too.
No mad cows, but away from the city in England I saw the biggest frikken pigeons ever. I think they ate cats.

GDC
7/30/2006, 09:55 AM
If you think the women were hot in Paris and London, you should go to Rome.

TUSooner
7/30/2006, 10:23 AM
If you think the women were hot in Paris and London, you should go to Rome.
OK

The hot weather also resulted in much cleavage and jiggling.
:)

StoopTroup
7/30/2006, 10:24 AM
SicEm will be reporting soon on the number of HAWT WOMEN in Branson.

Mjcpr
7/30/2006, 10:28 AM
I know better than to ask if anyone even noticed I've been away for 3 weeks.......

We noticed!! (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74147&highlight=England)

:D

Glad you had a good time!

Flagstaffsooner
7/30/2006, 10:48 AM
I even got to use my 23-word French vocabulary.
Did you say "manger moi" to anyone?

TUSooner
7/30/2006, 10:54 AM
Did you say "manger moi" to anyone?
Not on purpose, I think.

opksooner
7/30/2006, 12:31 PM
Did you say "manges moi" to anyone?

There, I fixed it for ya.

olevetonahill
7/30/2006, 12:39 PM
Glad y'all had a good time
welcome home

Rogue
7/30/2006, 12:58 PM
So, you'd recommed Europe?

Howzit
7/30/2006, 01:46 PM
No bangers and mash?

Welcome back, sounds like a great trip.

birddog
7/30/2006, 02:09 PM
did you see any premiership stadiums in london? did you do the jack the ripper tour? pretty cool in person.

TUSooner
7/30/2006, 02:11 PM
So, you'd recommed Europe?
Yes. But don't go in the summer -- too many (ahem) tourists ;)

TUSooner
7/30/2006, 02:23 PM
did you see any premiership stadiums in london? did you do the jack the ripper tour? pretty cool in person.
No Jack the Ripper tour, but I wandered over to Stamford Bridge, Chelsea's stadium complex, with hotel, resturant, shop etc. I asked a girl in the office if I could just get a peek at the field, but she said I'd have to take the tour. At 14 Pounds :eek: I decided not to. They were doing a lot of work around the place, so I walked around thinking I might sneak a look, but nothing doing.

That reminds me: After Stamford Bridge, I went looking for a certain pub in Chelsea that I had frequented 22 years ago when I last visited. It was called the Man in the Moon. I looked all up and down the street before I learned from a guy in the sandwich shop nearby that the pub had closed down 3 years ago and been replaced by a Japanese restaurant. :( But, as luck would have it, the guy had the old Man in the Moon sign in the closet of his shop, so at least I got to see the sign. It was pretty cool. I would have loved to take it off his hands and bring it home, but it was too big & heavy.

KaiserSooner
7/30/2006, 02:30 PM
Did you have any freedom food while in France?

TUSooner
7/30/2006, 02:38 PM
Did you have any freedom food while in France?
Best question evar. :rolleyes:
Maybe the best of a great lot was entrecote: Aside from salad and dessert, the place, a neato sidewalk eatery, served only one dish - a grilled rib steak called entrecote with a tasty gravy and fries. Simple but terrific.

SicEmBaylor
7/30/2006, 02:55 PM
SicEm will be reporting soon on the number of HAWT WOMEN in Branson.

*drum roll*

The grand total of hawt women in Branson is....*drum roll*l.............ZERO.

Report given.

GDC
7/30/2006, 04:10 PM
I read that Branson is concerned their main clientele is getting pretty old, and there's a push to make it more Las Vegas-y.

TUSooner
7/30/2006, 05:13 PM
I read that Branson is concerned their main clientele is getting pretty old, and there's a push to make it more Las Vegas-y.
Seems like I recently heard that the average age of a Las Vegas tourist is about 49, which is not exactly kid stuff. (It's my age :eek: )

StoopTroup
7/30/2006, 05:28 PM
*drum roll*

The grand total of hawt women in Branson is....*drum roll*l.............ZERO.

Report given.
I was figuring you'd come to that conclusion...lol

Viking Kitten
7/30/2006, 07:00 PM
Maybe the best of a great lot was entrecote: Aside from salad and dessert, the place, a neato sidewalk eatery, served only one dish - a grilled rib steak called entrecote with a tasty gravy and fries. Simple but terrific.

But did you go visit my crepe guy on Boulevard St. Germain like I advised??? :D

And that sucks that you lost your camera. I left one in a taxi one night after too much of something or other at Buddha Bar. Lost some great pics. :mad:

KaiserSooner
7/30/2006, 08:46 PM

Are they just now noticing this?

SoonerInKCMO
7/30/2006, 08:57 PM

How were the snails? I had a girlie talk me into eating some a couple of weeks ago and now I'm craving them. Them French hillbillies eat some weird but tasty stuff.

TUSooner
7/31/2006, 08:00 AM
But did you go visit my crepe guy on Boulevard St. Germain like I advised??? :D

And that sucks that you lost your camera. I left one in a taxi one night after too much of something or other at Buddha Bar. Lost some great pics. :mad:
Sorry, I missed your crepe guy, but I did think about you. :D And Galeries Lafayette resembled a Christmas eve rush - only much hotter. The ladies decided to skedaddle back "home" to Ave. General LeClerc to shop.
And SIKCMO = no escargot this trip (but I like 'em).

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 08:27 AM
There are approximately 74 English people living in London; the rest are Arabs, West Indians, East Indians, Chinese, and Africans.

That's what you get for staying in a cheap neighborhood. :texan: