PDA

View Full Version : New NCAA college football rules for '06

Okla-homey
7/28/2006, 10:20 PM
Accompanied the wife to a "football 101" dealio with Steve Kragthorpe tonight.

1) Play clock starts earlier.

2) They'll be kicking off 1" NFL-style tees.

3) ...and some stuff about kick-off return enabling rules I did'nt catch because I was getting a beer.

4) Oh yeah, something about the fact the coach gets to ask for one replay review. If he's right, cool. If he's wrong, loss of a time-out.

That is all.

AlbqSooner
7/29/2006, 06:05 AM
(Memo to Self) Do not ask to borrow homey's notes from Constitutional Law.

Sco
7/29/2006, 08:20 AM
There's actually a few new rules on the clock to make the game, in a sense, shorter... though I can't remember the specifics...

Okla-homey
7/29/2006, 08:25 AM
He also said they confine their recruiting to 300 miles around Tulsa. Being located here, they consider themselves ideally positioned to draw on a lot of great talent from Oklahoma and north texass passed-on by OU, oSu, texass, KU, KSU, and MU -- examples: QB Paul Smith and TE Garrett Mills.

Best quote of the evening. On zebras: College football is my profession. College football officiating is their hobby. Unfortunately, sometimes their hobby impacts my profession.:D

hawaii 5-0
7/29/2006, 11:51 AM
In the WAC there a few new changes.....

Under the rules, the game clock will start when the ball is kicked off (not when the returner fields it) and when the ball is set down at the line of scrimmage following change of possessions and out-of-bounds plays.

That last part has major ramifications, especially toward the end of the game when a team is trying to make a comeback.

:cool: 5-0

OUstudent4life
7/29/2006, 12:05 PM
In the WAC there a few new changes.....

Under the rules, the game clock will start when the ball is kicked off (not when the returner fields it) and when the ball is set down at the line of scrimmage following change of possessions and out-of-bounds plays.

That last part has major ramifications, especially toward the end of the game when a team is trying to make a comeback.

:cool: 5-0

I'm pretty sure that's NCAA-wide...I remember hearing about it, and that they think it may cut down on ~10 offensive plays/game, keeping the games shorter.

Of course, they'll still be ~4 hours long, 'cause they'll just put in more commercials.

Flagstaffsooner
7/29/2006, 01:03 PM
Big XII refs shall allways be accompanied by a dog when on the field of play.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/images/dlhdbk/seeing_eye_dog.jpg

StoopTroup
7/29/2006, 01:05 PM
If the game is going to be shorter...

Tickets should be cheaper. :D

I_Live_In_OK
7/29/2006, 01:19 PM
eh.

I_Live_In_OK
7/29/2006, 01:20 PM

In the WAC, you say? Mass chaos, predict it I will...

Jeopardude
7/29/2006, 03:11 PM
I love these rules. The game was getting baseball long. Can't wait to see how it affects panicked fourth quarter play.

josh09
7/29/2006, 04:40 PM
those are all pretty good rules