PDA

View Full Version : Hey, look...even the Canadians seem to understand the Iran-Syrian-Hezbollah deal...

Tear Down This Wall
7/28/2006, 09:43 AM
Who'd have ever thought the Canucks would be out ahead of the leftist in America? Kudos to the Canadians not calling for a ridiculous cease-fire....eh!

Hezbollah's hate, made in Iran
National Post

Published: Friday, July 28, 2006

For the last two weeks, innocent Israelis have been killed in missile barrages from Lebanese-based Hezbollah terrorists and militia. On the other side of the border, more than 300 Lebanese civilians have been accidentally killed by Israeli bombs aimed at Hezbollah assets. Meanwhile, Israeli soldiers have engaged with Hezbollah gunmen in ground combat, with both sides taking heavy casualties. All this loss of life was caused by Hezbollah's decision to stage an unprovoked act of war on uncontested, sovereign Israeli soil two weeks ago.

But why did Hezbollah do it? Since the government of Lebanon and most ordinary Lebanese people plainly didn't want this war, who did? Who is pulling Hezbollah's strings?

HERE ARE A FEW CLUES:

- The Shiite terrorist group receives US$120-million in annual financing from Tehran, where it operates an office on a central downtown street.

- Hezbollah was created by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). Several hundred IRGC officers are operating in Lebanon to this day, assisting Hezbollah's war effort.

- According to Western intelligence sources, over the last six months, the IRGC has been teaching Hezbollah how to operate its massive stock of rockets, many of which are from Iran. These include Zelzal missiles, which can reach Tel Aviv and beyond.

- On Wednesday, more than 60 Iranian self-declared suicide bombers, bedecked in Hezbollah paraphernalia, set off from Tehran in a "holy war" against Israeli forces in Lebanon.

- Yesterday, a Kuwaiti newspaper broke the news that Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah is travelling to Damascus for secret meetings with Iranian Supreme National Security Council Secretary Ali Larijani.

- During fighting in Lebanon, Israeli soldiers have seized weaponry marked with the logo of Iranian military manufacturers, such as the grenade launcher featured in the photo below.

- Earlier this month, Iranian troops assisted Hezbollah in firing a C-802 radar-guided missile at an Israeli warship, killing several crew members and nearly sinking the craft.

- Iranian officials met with Hezbollah leaders in Damascus on July 12, the very day this conflict started and -- as David Frum has noted on these pages -- the same day Western nations announced a threat of economic sanctions against Iran if the Islamic Republic refused to curtail its nuclear program.

Get the picture? As despicable and murderous as Hezbollah's own jihadist ideology may be, the group is very much a creature of Iran, which is seeking to flex its muscle against the West without actually attacking Western targets directly. Whether or not one thinks Israel is exercising "disproportionate" force in the prosecution of this war, there is no doubt about who is behind it: The people dying in Haifa and Beirut are the victims of a proxy conflict funded and planned by warmongers in Tehran.

All of this is well-known. Yet Iran persists in the claim that it has nothing to do with the current war -- even as it cheers Hezbollah on from the sidelines and looks for ways to keep the weapons flowing into Lebanon.

In today's Post, for instance, there appears a letter by Hormoz Ghahremani, press attache at the Iranian embassy in Ottawa. He cynically alleges that Iran "has absolutely no role in the current tragedy." He also complains of "an anti-Muslim, anti-Iran mindset" in the media, and then goes on to make the ludicrous charge that Israel is guilty of "ethnic cleansing of the Muslims of Lebanon."

These accusations of "ethnic cleansing," readers will note, have been issued on behalf of a regime whose President denies the Holocaust, and who openly rhapsodizes about annihilating Israel, which he calls a "stain on the Islamic world."

If there is any regime that can be called a stain on the human race, it is Iran's. And it is a testament to the civilized norms of Israel and the United States -- which have the ability to immolate Iran several times over -- that they have not done to Tehran what the mullahs would like to do to Tel Aviv.

Iran's diplomats are free to emit their demagoguery and morally perverse bluster. But Canada and the rest of the civilized world should recognize it for the propaganda it is.

Partial Qualifier
7/28/2006, 10:07 AM
Do these people not know OU4LIFE made a frickin' hole-in-one!?

Widescreen
7/28/2006, 10:29 AM
If there is any regime that can be called a stain on the human race, it is Iran's. And it is a testament to the civilized norms of Israel and the United States -- which have the ability to immolate Iran several times over -- that they have not done to Tehran what the mullahs would like to do to Tel Aviv.
This is an excellent point. If Iran COULD nuke Tel Aviv (and they indicate their desire to do so all the time), they would. Even though we CAN flatten Tehran, we don't (and we don't even threaten to).

OklahomaTuba
7/28/2006, 10:40 AM
Thank GOD Canada woke up and elected Harper into office.

This war is an opportunity for us and Israel to get those terrorists out of there.

I just wish Israel (with US help) would take the whole country instead of messing around with this buffer zone BS.

Mjcpr
7/28/2006, 10:48 AM
This war is an opportunity for us and Israel to get those terrorists out of there.

Israel, just go over and solve that thing.

NormanPride
7/28/2006, 11:03 AM
Heh. Iran has Hezbollah and we have Israel. I know, it's very different, but that's why it just got a "heh" instead of a rant. ;)

OklahomaTuba
7/28/2006, 11:04 AM
Very disappointed in David Boren for this little article...

"Just as we want to assure the safety and well being of the people of Israel against the attacks of terrorist groups like Hezbollah, so should we also seek to assure the safety of the Lebanese people, the vast majority of whom are opposed to terrorism and are the helpless victims of terrorist groups."
Helpless victims my ***.

Boren calls for an "immediate cease fire" established with "other major nations" to prevent Lebanon from being used for guerilla warfare.
http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_207004641

Hmm, So I guess we should start negotiating with terrorists groups? Nice.

OklahomaTuba
7/28/2006, 11:06 AM
Heh. Iran has Hezbollah and we have Israel. I know, it's very different, but that's why it just got a "heh" instead of a rant. ;)

Wow, ya think? Just a little different. :rolleyes:

NormanPride
7/28/2006, 11:08 AM
Very disappointed in David Boren for this little article...

http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_207004641

Hmm, So I guess we should start negotiating with terrorists groups? Nice.

Meh. He's got faculty and students who are from Lebanon. How could he not say something like this?

OklahomaTuba
7/28/2006, 11:11 AM
Meh. He's got faculty and students who are from Lebanon. How could he not say something like this?
He would be doing his faculy and students more of a favor by calling for the complete withdrawl of Hezbollah from Lebanon, instead of saying we need to a ceasefire with them.

Thats like saying we need a ceasefire with AQ or the Taliban.

NormanPride
7/28/2006, 11:21 AM
He would be doing his faculy and students more of a favor by calling for the complete withdrawl of Hezbollah from Lebanon, instead of saying we need to a ceasefire with them.

Hmm.. I guess you're right. I don't think what he says disappoints me, though, because I think he did it just to appease his faculty/students. He IS still a politician, after all. ;)

The notion wouldn't be as effective if he asked for Hezbollah to withdraw a) because we don't really have control over that, and b) because it doesn't mention helping the Lebanese specifically. But I do see your point.

OklahomaTuba
7/28/2006, 11:27 AM
Hmm.. I guess you're right. I don't think what he says disappoints me, though, because I think he did it just to appease his faculty/students. He IS still a politician, after all. ;)

The notion wouldn't be as effective if he asked for Hezbollah to withdraw a) because we don't really have control over that, and b) because it doesn't mention helping the Lebanese specifically. But I do see your point.
I can understand his stance because he is appeasing his lebanese friends, but he should remember that there are some major donors to OU that are Jewish, and are also strong supporters of Israel, allong with probably 80% of the people on his donor list.

Just something he shoulda thought about if he was looking for somone to appease publically me thinks.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/28/2006, 11:47 AM

Why did he have to open his fat mouth anyway? A "no comment" would have sufficed...

I like Boren and all, but he is far removed from Washington now and has no business commenting as a 'University President"...

NormanPride
7/28/2006, 12:06 PM
Why did he have to open his fat mouth anyway? A "no comment" would have sufficed...

I like Boren and all, but he is far removed from Washington now and has no business commenting as a 'University President"...

I think he was asked to, is the thing. He also mentioned that he was not doing it as the President of OU, but just as a former politician.

And Tuba, it's a tough situation. By asking for a cease to hositilities, I think he took the middle ground, asking for the POTUS to think of the populaces, rather than the hostiles. From a purely monetary standpoint you are correct, though.

OU4LIFE
7/28/2006, 12:40 PM
Do these people not know OU4LIFE made a frickin' hole-in-one!?

crazy-as s-honky spek.

Hamhock
7/28/2006, 12:46 PM
So, I don't understand?

Why is the fighting continuing if David Boren called for an immediate cease fire? Do you think they didn't hear him?

OklahomaTuba
7/28/2006, 03:56 PM
From a purely monetary standpoint you are correct, though.
I am sure he is aware of who donated to OU the Tulsa campus, and who its named after as well.

http://www.ou.edu/disclaimer/images/TulsaSS.jpg

AlbqSooner
7/28/2006, 08:24 PM
Why do they call him AQ? Shouldn't it be AP?

TheHumanAlphabet
7/31/2006, 09:56 AM
I think he was asked to, is the thing. He also mentioned that he was not doing it as the President of OU, but just as a former politician.

And Tuba, it's a tough situation. By asking for a cease to hositilities, I think he took the middle ground, asking for the POTUS to think of the populaces, rather than the hostiles. From a purely monetary standpoint you are correct, though.

Well, today we find out that hizbollah is using the residential areas as cover and dressing as regular people to run away. Go Israel! Blow these sucka's into hell. Don't back down...If Lebanon didn't want a war, then they should have kicked out hizbollah and the Syrians!!!

Photo's that damn hizbollah, from The Herald Sun (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,19955774-5007220,00.html)

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 10:07 AM
Well, today we find out that hizbollah is using the residential areas as cover and dressing as regular people to run away. Go Israel! Blow these sucka's into hell. Don't back down...If Lebanon didn't want a war, then they should have kicked out hizbollah and the Syrians!!!

What is the point of prolonging this? Israel is not going to get rid of Hezbollah. Their "street cred" is only going up as they withstand the Israeli onslaught. I'm sure some Lebanese are going to turn away from Hezbollah as a result of this, but many more will start to support them.

Tear Down This Wall
7/31/2006, 10:15 AM
What is the point of prolonging this? Israel is not going to get rid of Hezbollah. Their "street cred" is only going up as they withstand the Israeli onslaught. I'm sure some Lebanese are going to turn away from Hezbollah as a result of this, but many more will start to support them.

Um...the point is just that Israel doesn't want their soldiers kidnapped in unprovoked cross-border raids, nor do they want missles aimlessly lobbed at their citizens. That's the gist of it all.

Also, since the head of Hezbollah says even a cease fire will not stop them until their is a Muslim empire from "Spain to Afghanistan," it's in the world's best interest that as many of the crazy snots as possible are killed .

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 10:24 AM
Also, since the head of Hezbollah says even a cease fire will not stop them until their is a Muslim empire from "Spain to Afghanistan," it's in the world's best interest that as many of the crazy snots as possible are killed .

Then why bother with a cease-fire at all? What is the point of the halfway (i.e. half-assed) approach we seem to be taking? If you're going to push for a cease fire, why wait a couple of weeks?

OklahomaTuba
7/31/2006, 10:42 AM
Then why bother with a cease-fire at all? What is the point of the halfway (i.e. half-assed) approach we seem to be taking? If you're going to push for a cease fire, why wait a couple of weeks?

I agree, 100%.

Israel isn't going all out like it needs to be doing. I am so sick of seeing us and Israel having to fight with one hand tied behind our backs. Its just eroding the fear factor we need I think.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/31/2006, 10:46 AM
But Europe and Asia will whine and cry and say Israel is a bully....

Never mind what hizbollah is doing, in fact, if you watch the news and listen to NPR, you would never know Israel was firing at anyone, you would think that terrible Israel was just shooting randomly in Lebanon and killing people willy-nilly!!!

mdklatt
7/31/2006, 10:50 AM
I agree, 100%.

Israel isn't going all out like it needs to be doing.

I was talking about the US handling of the diplomatic side of things. At first it was, "Let Israel take care of business. A cease fire is not a long-term viable solution." What has changed in the past two weeks to make Bush, ahem, flip flop? Did he assume that if he gave Israel a week or so they could take care of the problem, but now that it's starting to bog down it's time for diplomacy?

Tear Down This Wall
7/31/2006, 11:19 AM

You're exactly right - and that's what many of have been saying for a long time, "Quit half-assing around with these crazy islamofascists and kill them."

They've come right out and said they're never going to quit, which any idiot would know from watching them break decade after decade of "cease fire" agreements.

It's really, really simple. The radical islam element that President Carter allowed to depose the Shah in 1979 doesn't want to rule just one or two countries, they want a whole region. And, they hate Israel.

So, until these radical miscreants are wiped out, they will continue to teach their four year old kids to hate and kill, so they'll grow up to hate and kill. Their goals will always be the elimination of Israel and a vast Muslim region stretching from Europe to the Orient.

The problem is that the Western nation's leaders - including our own - are too afraid to finish the job because it will mean lots of televised bloodshed. And, that makes them feel bad when they fly from country to country and have expensive state dinners with one another. So, they pretend that the islomfascist can be dealt with logically and leader after spineless Western leader sits down with these murderers and caves to them under the guise of "peace in the region."

It's a farce. Someone should write a play about it...giving me 50% of the royalty of course :D