PDA

View Full Version : Barber shop etiquette

Norm In Norman
7/27/2006, 10:32 PM
So, am I supposed to tip in a barber shop? I say no. They can charge whatever the hell they want to, so if they want 11 dollars than they should charge it. MAYBE I might tip if I get an extra good haircut. But then again, I should get an extra good one every time. Also, it seems like barber shops are too old school to have to tip. And hey, it's not like you had to make an appointment or something. I doubt my dad ever tipped. ON top of all that, if they average 3 cuts per hour that's $30 per hour. I do tip my doctor though, because he does things that I can't do myself.

Also, is it rude to wait for someone else besides the next available barber to cut your hair? I've been going to the one on main in norman because there aren't any chicks cutting hair there. Well, I went in there today and BOOM there is a chick in there and BOOM she is the next open barber. So she cut my hair. She did OK, but not as good as normal. Chicks are almost always too scared to cut your hair short (I had to beg to get my hair shorter), and they generally won't shut up while they are cutting hair. I had to quit going to a different barber shop because I kept getting stuck with this same lady and she wouldn't shut the **** up. After 25 minutes I would end up with a lousy hair cut and a lot of useless information about her personal life. I'm ok with the talking part as long as the person is paying more attention to what he's doing than talking.

Oh, and as I mentioned in another thread, the lady almost shaved my eyebrows off. Instead of trimming them with scissors and a comb like everyone else, she took the electric razor and zipped it over the suckers as fast as she could. They are now bugging the hell out of me because they don't feel right.

JohnnyMack
7/27/2006, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry, you tip your doctor?

bri
7/27/2006, 10:46 PM
Why do you hate women, Norm?

SicEmBaylor
7/27/2006, 10:48 PM
My same reaction, you seriously tip the doc? How much?

The barber in town back in FTG gabs a lot too. The guy will start a conversation with one client and then continue the same damned coversation throughout the entire day paying no attention to the fact that there's a new person in the chair. It's just one continuous string of thought...like a soap opera.

Guy knows EVERYTHING going on in town too. He's the real mayor.

I go to a great salon place in Waco where everyone there is a woman, but a lot of Baylor guys go there. They're some of the few people who can cut my hair the way I really like it. I used to go to the campus barber but they were mean and told dirty jokes constantly. I don't mind dirty jokes, but I mind them being *******s.

Norm In Norman
7/27/2006, 10:54 PM
If you guys watched The Office, you'd know why I tip the doctor.

olevetonahill
7/27/2006, 11:01 PM
Why I dont go to Doctors . Or any hair cuttin place :D
iM JUST LETTING THE **** GROW (sory bout the caps )
Doctors want to cut on me . same as hair cuttin peeps :eek:

OCUDad
7/27/2006, 11:04 PM
I go to a great salon place in Waco where everyone there is a womanIncluding the customers, apparently. :rolleyes:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/27/2006, 11:05 PM
You should just get your eyebrows waxed, Norm.

RacerX
7/27/2006, 11:06 PM
I quit going to the barberhop I went too because both of the guys were bigots who thought I cared about politics.

Then there was the woman who cut hair.

All women who cut hair:
1. Talk too damn much
2. Have weird **** happen to them
3. Have loser friends

the end.

OCUDad
7/27/2006, 11:07 PM
You should just get your *** waxed, Norm.Fixed.

RacerX
7/27/2006, 11:07 PM
oh, and Norm's a cheap bastard like Mike Golic.

BeetDigger
7/27/2006, 11:12 PM
The man is responsible for your looks for the next three weeks. You can choose to tip him or not. I suggest you tip him.

And if you get a shave from him, I suggest you tip him heavily.

Find the combination to your wallet tightwad. :D

Soonrboy
7/27/2006, 11:16 PM
I like that cheap place out in front of walmart..top scissors or something like that. Top cuts? Topless? What the **** is the name of that place, now?

Anyway, where the hell is FTG?

bri
7/27/2006, 11:17 PM
Top Cuts. Every time I see it, I giggle because it makes me think of Top Gun.

And Top Gun is AWEXOME.

mdklatt
7/27/2006, 11:18 PM

I do, but I don't. :confused:

Soonrboy
7/27/2006, 11:18 PM
That'd be cool...a themed hair cutting place ala Top Gun

mdklatt
7/27/2006, 11:19 PM

Denver

FTG (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KFTG)

mdklatt
7/27/2006, 11:20 PM
That'd be cool...a themed hair cutting place ala Top Gun

I'd like the Iceman, please.

pb4ou
7/27/2006, 11:21 PM
I'd be afraid to ask for the Goose. :eek:

mdklatt
7/27/2006, 11:23 PM
I'd be afraid to ask for the Goose. :eek:

Or the Slider! :eek: :eek:

Soonrboy
7/27/2006, 11:24 PM
but pics of Meg Ryan everywhere.

pb4ou
7/27/2006, 11:24 PM
My cousin's call sign is Bong. Heh.

bri
7/27/2006, 11:26 PM
The best part would be the chain of cheap knock-off shops inspired by Fire Birds.

I AM THE GREATEST!!!!

SicEmBaylor
7/27/2006, 11:39 PM
I like that cheap place out in front of walmart..top scissors or something like that. Top cuts? Topless? What the **** is the name of that place, now?

Next to Muskogee.

BajaOklahoma
7/28/2006, 04:52 AM
Take cookies to the doctor's office. The staff will appreciate it and treat you better.
You may wait for the barber you like, but it helps if you know his./her name. When you walk in, walk up to "joe" and say something to the effect that you are back for another great cut. Then sit down and wait for him.
Your eyebrows will grow out. I've never seen anyone get their brows trimmed.....

etouffee
7/28/2006, 05:52 AM
Always tip the barber. Never tipped a doctor.

BoogercountySooner
7/28/2006, 07:00 AM
If they do a good job trimming the ear and neck hairs tip em well!

Mjcpr
7/28/2006, 07:50 AM
If they don't make my eyes water when they trim my nose hair, I'll give them $0.25 and a stick of horehound candy.

Norm In Norman
7/28/2006, 08:00 AM
I quit going to the barberhop I went too because both of the guys were bigots who thought I cared about politics.

Then there was the woman who cut hair.

All women who cut hair:
1. Talk too damn much
3. Have loser friends

the end.
I forgot about 2. The chick from yesterday cussed someone out at the movie theater a few days before and fell asleep in the middle of Cars, left early, and got free passes. This one lady that used to cut my hair had a 15 year old on that had just knocked a girl up. I used to HATE to hear all of the white trash stories she had. And she was always talking on the frickin' phone while cutting hair.

I need something that tells me who I'm supposed to tip. I tip waitstaff and valets (if it's free) and pizza delivery guys. I can't think of anyone else I tip. I can imagine a tipping someone at the beauty shop, but I can't imagine tipping the barber.

etouffee
7/28/2006, 08:04 AM
If they do a good job trimming the ear and neck hairs tip em well!Mine never does that. I gotta find a new doctor.

mrowl
7/28/2006, 08:57 AM
why tip the pizza guy if they are charging for delivery?

BeetDigger
7/28/2006, 09:05 AM
I forgot about 2. The chick from yesterday cussed someone out at the movie theater a few days before and fell asleep in the middle of Cars, left early, and got free passes. This one lady that used to cut my hair had a 15 year old on that had just knocked a girl up. I used to HATE to hear all of the white trash stories she had. And she was always talking on the frickin' phone while cutting hair.

I need something that tells me who I'm supposed to tip. I tip waitstaff and valets (if it's free) and pizza delivery guys. I can't think of anyone else I tip. I can imagine a tipping someone at the beauty shop, but I can't imagine tipping the barber.

If it is a many who is in control of seating at the restaurant, a nice tip magically moves that 30-45 minute wait to a 5 minute wait. This does not work when: 1) you are at a chain restaruant; 2) it is a girl who is in charge of seating; and 3) the people around you have a lot more money than you do.

It is fun, however, to go to dinner with a couple and find that the wait is 45 minutes. You tell them to find someplace to sit while you talk with the matre'd and then you walk back to them and say that you have a table waiting.

RacerX
7/28/2006, 09:07 AM
she was always talking on the frickin' phone while cutting hair.

I forgot about that one. That's number four.

JohnnyMack
7/28/2006, 09:35 AM
My barber just retired after I had been going to him for about 27 years.

Still haven't found anyone new I like.

I'm a haircut nomad.

Tear Down This Wall
7/28/2006, 09:36 AM
People, quit being tight-a*sses and tip your barber or hairstylist. Also, tip the Sonic folk who bring stuff out to your car. Also, tip the people who make-up your room at hotels everyday when you're traveling.

Listen, not everybody has a job that allows them to make well over the national average in annual jack and waste time on the net posting on message boards. So, tip the unfortunate folk who can't spend hours debating tipping at South Oval. :D

JohnnyMack
7/28/2006, 09:38 AM
People, quit being tight-a*sses and tip your barber or hairstylist. Also, tip the Sonic folk who bring stuff out to your car. Also, tip the people who make-up your room at hotels everyday when you're traveling.

Listen, not everybody has a job that allows them to make well over the national average in annual jack and waste time on the net posting on message boards. So, tip the unfortunate folk who can't spend hours debating tipping at South Oval. :D

I agree with everything but the Sonic part. Their business model is not my problem.

Tear Down This Wall
7/28/2006, 09:39 AM
My barber just retired after I had been going to him for about 27 years.

Still haven't found anyone new I like.

I'm a haircut nomad.

Dude, I'm going through the same thing. My regular barber broke his arm and has been out of comission for about six weeks. I've had to get my last two two haircuts at...gulp...Super Cuts-type places...help me, somebody, please help me!

skycat
7/28/2006, 10:01 AM
(I had to beg to get my hair shorter)

:hot:

frankensooner
7/28/2006, 10:03 AM
There is a little barbershop at 30th and N Penn run by these three ladies. They are very professional and only charge 7 bucks. You hand them a ten and tell them to keep the change. :D I think one of them is a former Miss Oklahoma to boot. It is a hole in the wall, but that is just part of the fun to me. I have never had a bad haircut there, but then again, I have almost no hair. I always tell them I want it short and they take the guard off the clippers :D

Mr. Woody at the Capitol will buzz your eyebrows off with his clippers too...yuck

Grimey
7/28/2006, 10:05 AM
All women who cut hair:
1. Talk too damn much
3. Have loser friends

the end.

ugh, no kidding. Shut up and cut

etouffee
7/28/2006, 10:06 AM
I agree with everything but the Sonic part. Their business model is not my problem.Why is their business model different from any other restaurant? If you went somewhere else and sat at a table, and someone brought your food to you and collected your payment, presumeably you would tip them. The only difference I see is that you're in your car and not at a table.

soonerjoker
7/28/2006, 10:12 AM
i don't want to hurt anyone's income, but, to me, a barber is a professional & shouldn't be tipped.
JMHO

i went 2 only 2 barbers in last 35 yrs; but they have both retired.

now my barber is a woman; & i have tipped her the only 2 times i've
had my hair cut by her.

JohnnyMack
7/28/2006, 10:18 AM
Why is their business model different from any other restaurant? If you went somewhere else and sat at a table, and someone brought your food to you and collected your payment, presumeably you would tip them. The only difference I see is that you're in your car and not at a table.

Instead of handing me a sack of greasy crap out of a drive-thru window, they walk 30 ft. and hand me a sack of greasy crap. It's not like they bring me a drink, take my order, bring me more drink, bring me my food and clear the table afterwards. You don't see a difference?

Mjcpr
7/28/2006, 10:28 AM
Servers don't usually clear tables. You might want to start tipping the bus boys.

Just sayin'....

etouffee
7/28/2006, 10:29 AM
Instead of handing me a sack of greasy crap out of a drive-thru window, they walk 30 ft. and hand me a sack of greasy crap. It's not like they bring me a drink, take my order, bring me more drink, bring me my food and clear the table afterwards. You don't see a difference?And instead of handing you sack of greasy crap at a drive thru window, a restaurant waiter walks 30 feet and gives you greasy crap on a plate. Seems to me that if the additional service provided to you by a waiter are important to you, then you should be varying the amount of tip you give at sonic, not deciding not to tip at all. Most people don't tip the full 15 to 20 percent at Sonic. I usually give em' a buck, maybe a buck plus whatever coinage is in my change. Remember, a restaurant waiter doesn't have to bring you your food in the freezin-*** cold or the sweltering heat, either. That's worth a little something right there.

JohnnyMack
7/28/2006, 10:40 AM
And instead of handing you sack of greasy crap at a drive thru window, a restaurant waiter walks 30 feet and gives you greasy crap on a plate. Seems to me that if the additional service provided to you by a waiter are important to you, then you should be varying the amount of tip you give at sonic, not deciding not to tip at all. Most people don't tip the full 15 to 20 percent at Sonic. I usually give em' a buck, maybe a buck plus whatever coinage is in my change. Remember, a restaurant waiter doesn't have to bring you your food in the freezin-*** cold or the sweltering heat, either. That's worth a little something right there.

My out is that I was taught never to tip with change. Add to that the fact that 10% is the minimum I will tip someone. Therefore if my Sonic total is not $10 I don't tip.

etouffee
7/28/2006, 10:45 AM
Add to that the fact that 10% is the minimum I will tip someone. Therefore if my Sonic total is not $10 I don't tip.Because the employee expended less effort bringing you a $6 order than he would've with a $10 order?

scotplum
7/28/2006, 10:45 AM
Fortunately, I don't have to tip a flowbee.

JohnnyMack
7/28/2006, 10:52 AM
Because the employee expended less effort bringing you a $6 order than he would've with a $10 order?

When you go to a drive-thru and they don't have your order ready and they make you pull up and wait, do you tip the person who brings out your order? They have to go outside after all. UV exposure, wind burn and all the other catastrophic events associated with the great outdoors.

BeetDigger
7/28/2006, 10:52 AM
I always tip the Sonic server. Usually, its a cute girl and it gives me a chance to flirt with her. And by flirt, I don't mean in a dirty old man way. I hate sicko thrity and fourty somethings who hit on 18 year olds.

etouffee
7/28/2006, 10:56 AM
When you go to a drive-thru and they don't have your order ready and they make you pull up and wait, do you tip the person who brings out your order? They have to go outside after all. UV exposure, wind burn and all the other catastrophic events associated with the great outdoors.Nope. They're only going outside because somebody at that establishment messed up. It's not part of their normal service, AND, more importantly, that employee probably doesn't receive a wage that is lower because some amount of tips are expected in the normal course of their job.

scotplum
7/28/2006, 11:05 AM
It's not part of their normal service, AND, more importantly, that employee probably doesn't receive a wage that is lower because some amount of tips are expected in the normal course of their job.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Sonic employees make as much, if not more, in hourly wages than employees of other fast food places. I could be wrong but I have been told that is the case before. Perhaps it was just to influence me to get out of a tip though, who knows.

GottaHavePride
7/28/2006, 11:14 AM
Servers don't usually clear tables. You might want to start tipping the bus boys.

Just sayin'....
FYI - when I worked as a server we were expected to clear dishes and glasses, then the bussers took care of changing tablecloth, placemats, mess from little kids AND adult slobs ;) , re-setting the table, etc. and tipping the bussers is taken care of. At the end of the shift you "tip out" a percentage of your total sales. Usually 1 1/2 % to the cooks, 1 % to the bartender, and 1 % to the bussers.

etouffee
7/28/2006, 11:17 AM
yep, we had to tip out bussers, cooks, bartenders, and hostesses. been a long time, but i think our percentages were a bit higher than 1%. that was teh succ.

Grimey
7/28/2006, 11:19 AM
I have a barber that I go to in Glenpool. Marty is a barber/teacher, so he always has someone that he is trying to teach how to cut hair. Every time I go there, I am hoping I won't have to decline one of his students. I must be too nice, because when I see them just standing there with their empty chair, I always feel bad for them.

It is always so awkward because Marty is really hard on them. More than once, he has come over and just grabbed the clippers out of their hands and just plowed through my hair. I think he is getting fed up with the teaching aspect because he hasnt had any students in a few months. Or else no one wants to deal with him.

Pricetag
7/28/2006, 11:35 AM
The man is responsible for your looks for the next three weeks. You can choose to tip him or not. I suggest you tip him.

Funk dat. I hate the "thinly veiled threat" coercion. That ****es me off so bad that it makes me not want to tip anyone and just take what comes to me. It's such a slimy tactic.

That being said, I do tip my barber, because as far as I know, he's the only person that can cut my hair the way I want it. In 17 years, I've been in a chair outside of their shop one time. I was scared to death, and the cut I got was not the same quality.

One good thing about the shop is that they bring in new, younger barbers every few years or so. After a guy has been in the shop for awhile, I'll let them cut my hair if Archie isn't free when my turn comes up.

There is one crusty older guy in the shop who I have never let cut my hair, and I never will. He's a perfectly nice guy, and fits in well with the dynamic of the shop, but he seems really old school. I bet he could give you a mean flat top or a burr, but I just don't think he's hip to the newer styles. The only people who go to him are old dudes and people who haven't been to the shop before.

Mjcpr
7/28/2006, 11:43 AM
Okay, I go to Super Cuts and have for years. I thought regular barber shops went away years ago. If I could find a single place where the staff never changes to get my hair cut, that didn't charge and arm and a leg and was on my way home, I'd go.

:D

BeetDigger
7/28/2006, 12:00 PM
Funk dat. I hate the "thinly veiled threat" coercion. That ****es me off so bad that it makes me not want to tip anyone and just take what comes to me. It's such a slimy tactic.

That being said, I do tip my barber, because as far as I know, he's the only person that can cut my hair the way I want it. In 17 years, I've been in a chair outside of their shop one time. I was scared to death, and the cut I got was not the same quality.

One good thing about the shop is that they bring in new, younger barbers every few years or so. After a guy has been in the shop for awhile, I'll let them cut my hair if Archie isn't free when my turn comes up.

There is one crusty older guy in the shop who I have never let cut my hair, and I never will. He's a perfectly nice guy, and fits in well with the dynamic of the shop, but he seems really old school. I bet he could give you a mean flat top or a burr, but I just don't think he's hip to the newer styles. The only people who go to him are old dudes and people who haven't been to the shop before.

It's not a threat. I don't cut hair so it doesn't matter to me. I think it's more reality that if you go to the same guy all the time, he will know who tips him well and who doesn't. Your second paragraph seems to be in alignment with that thought.

BeetDigger
7/28/2006, 12:05 PM
Okay, I go to Super Cuts and have for years. I thought regular barber shops went away years ago. If I could find a single place where the staff never changes to get my hair cut, that didn't charge and arm and a leg and was on my way home, I'd go.

Every good one that I find ends up moving. Carol cut my hair for a couple of years. She was great and was pretty hot looking. Then she up and moves back east as her husband took a transfer. What an arsehole - the dude could have considered my feelings before he took the job but no.

Over the last year I have found Janet, the Jamaican. She is a stunning looking woman of about 50 who always is wearing makeup and looks ready to go from the shop to a dinner at Bob's Steakhouse. I can sit down and she can cut my hair in 15 minutes without any direction from me. She also gives me a free cut every fifth time. I fully suspect Janet to move to a new career now that I have settled into my hair cut routine with her.

Grimey
7/28/2006, 12:06 PM

arent you in Tulsa? If so, I would gladly recommend Marty. You just have to drive down 75 to Glenpool is all.

Hamhock
7/28/2006, 12:09 PM
Top Cuts. Every time I see it, I giggle because it makes me think of Top Gun.

And Top Gun is AWEXOME.

You know how they give high fives and then come down and slap hands together again?

I'm thinking of bringing that back.

Hamhock
7/28/2006, 12:13 PM

Sapulpa. Old fashioned barber. He's been cutting hair for over 40 years. He even uses a straight razor to finish the neck. $10.

Grimey
7/28/2006, 12:18 PM
Oh and Marty still shaves faces too.

Haircut is $10 and he even has the cool swirly light thing out front. Plus a foosball table.

SicEmBaylor
7/28/2006, 12:20 PM
I'm balding very quickly so in a couple of years this is going to be a non-issue.

SoonerInKCMO
7/28/2006, 12:51 PM
I never realized so many men were so particular about who cut their hair.

Sissies.

soonerjoker
7/29/2006, 10:09 AM
back to original question;
tip barbers or no ???????????

Rogue
7/29/2006, 12:20 PM
1)Tip barbers? Yes, I do when I like the cut.
I've got a couple of chicks that cut my hair at a place near my jorb. They are good, fast, and consistent.

2)Waiting for the barber of choice? I prefer to wait. Learned this one long ago. A barber shop I used to go to had a young guy and a new girl working. Both were bad on Saturday AM. He was always hungoor and she was not used to cutting men's hair. I'd wait for the old dood with the shaky hands.

3)Tipping doctors. IDK. I don't see givin' 'em cash as a tip and I would feel wierd giving my doc a bottle of his favorite liquor or something.

StoopTroup
7/29/2006, 05:24 PM
The Doctor I once took care of with a nice bottle of scotch and some Godiva chocolate for his wife and some for his office staff...

Ended up treating me worse than any other Doctor I've ever been to see.

Plus...I think he's a closet oSu fan.

skycat
7/29/2006, 05:31 PM
3)Tipping doctors. IDK. I don't see givin' 'em cash as a tip and I would feel wierd giving my doc a bottle of his favorite liquor or something.

Heh.

When a skydiver has to use his reserve canopy, etiquette calls for the skydiver to give the rigger that packed the reserve canopy exactly that.

Seems about the same to me.

Don't ask me how I know that. :O

GDC
7/29/2006, 10:51 PM
• Hair salons, manicurists: Tip 15-20 percent. Do not tip the salon owner.

http://www.tahlequahdailypress.com/features/local_story_210190610.html?keyword=topstory

TUSooner
7/30/2006, 10:52 AM
But Norm, I thought your hair was just 1/4 of an inch all over. How can any barber mess that up? :confused: :D

BTW, I tip my barber; but I'm a good tipper anyway.

MamaMia
7/30/2006, 12:05 PM
So, am I supposed to tip in a barber shop? I say no. They can charge whatever the hell they want to, so if they want 11 dollars than they should charge it. MAYBE I might tip if I get an extra good haircut. But then again, I should get an extra good one every time. Also, it seems like barber shops are too old school to have to tip. And hey, it's not like you had to make an appointment or something. I doubt my dad ever tipped. ON top of all that, if they average 3 cuts per hour that's $30 per hour.It is customary to tip the barber or stylist, unless they own the business. The owner charges the stylist or barber a rental type fee, or a commission for the use of his, or her facilities. You don't have to tip, but the owners rental cost to whomever cuts your hair is set on the expectation that his stylists will be receiving anywhere from 10 to 20% in tips.

I do tip my doctor though, because he does things that I can't do myself.You're kidding, right? :confused:

Also, is it rude to wait for someone else besides the next available barber to cut your hair? I've been going to the one on main in norman because there aren't any chicks cutting hair there. Well, I went in there today and BOOM there is a chick in there and BOOM she is the next open barber. So she cut my hair. She did OK, but not as good as normal. Chicks are almost always too scared to cut your hair short (I had to beg to get my hair shorter), and they generally won't shut up while they are cutting hair. I had to quit going to a different barber shop because I kept getting stuck with this same lady and she wouldn't shut the **** up. After 25 minutes I would end up with a lousy hair cut and a lot of useless information about her personal life. I'm ok with the talking part as long as the person is paying more attention to what he's doing than talking.Oh, and as I mentioned in another thread, the lady almost shaved my eyebrows off. Instead of trimming them with scissors and a comb like everyone else, she took the electric razor and zipped it over the suckers as fast as she could. They are now bugging the hell out of me because they don't feel right.
If you want a certain barber then say so when you walk in, if they wont allow you to make an appointment. Tell whomever is cutting your hair that you don't want your brows shaved, but that you want them clipped instead. If you don't want to hear any gabbing while you're there then you may want to consider bringing one of those music devices that has the ear plugs that don't go over your hair.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 07:24 AM
But Norm, I thought your hair was just 1/4 of an inch all over. How can any barber mess that up? :confused: :D

BTW, I tip my barber; but I'm a good tipper anyway.
Nope, it was just that way for that one picture. OLDSOONER took that one about a month after I had shaved my head this one time.

Norm In Norman
7/31/2006, 07:26 AM
And I don't tip my doctor! I just said that because Dwight on The Office said he doesn't tip people for services that he can perform himself.

Uncultured swine.