PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Star article on Peterson

milesl
7/27/2006, 12:17 PM
OKLAHOMA
Time to turn Peterson loose at OU
Running back is healthy again and the focal point of the Sooners’ offense.
By BLAIR KERKHOFF
The Kansas City Star

Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson is so good, linebacker Rufus Alexander measures the Sooners’ defense by him.

“If we can contain him in practice, we know we have one of the best defenses in the country,” Alexander said.

How often is Peterson contained?

“He’s tough,” Alexander said. “Very tough.”

And fast, powerful, shifty and every other attribute in the football dictionary to compliment a back. Oh, and he’s healthy.

“Feeling pretty good,” said Peterson, who got the rap-star treatment during Big 12 Media Days — reporters followed him everywhere, and Peterson drew the largest gathering of any player over the three days and 12 teams during a roundtable session.

Oklahoma’s success this season could turn on the healed ankle Peterson hurt during a bummer of a 2005 season.

Oh, to have relived the freshman year. Peterson wowed the nation in 2004 by rushing for 1,925 yards and 15 touchdowns and became the first freshman to finish second in the Heisman Trophy balloting.

Peterson followed it up with an injury-riddled sophomore season. The high ankle sprain and a nagging Achilles’ problem forced him to miss all or parts of four games.

Add to the mix a rookie quarterback in Rhett Bomar to replace former Heisman winner Jason White, and Peterson’s drop to 1,108 rushing yards — on 119 fewer attempts — is easily explained.

So was the Sooners’ 8-4 record and first non-first-place finish in the South Division since 2001. The season was difficult to swallow for a program that has played in three Bowl Championship Series title games over the previous six seasons.

But it was especially bitter for Peterson, whose movements were limited even when he appeared in games.

“I thought the season was especially tough for him,” Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said.

Not because he wasn’t at full strength, but he saw how much the offense struggled without his complete game.

“That was the hardest part,” Peterson said. “Not being able to help the way I could.”

Cutting and changing direction, abilities that accounted for much of his freshman success, were out of question. Last year was mostly about plowing into the pile and budging it.

Oklahoma averaged 27 points and 363 yards per game last year, 35 points and 462 yards the year before.

Clearly, a healthier Peterson and a more experienced Bomar are the cornerstones for an improved offense. But make no mistake, it will run through Peterson.

“That’s the focal point,” Stoops said. “That’s where it all begins.”

Peterson wants it to end at least 2,200 rushing yards later.

That’s the goal he’s set for himself, and he would join some elite company. Barry Sanders set the NCAA record with 2,628 yards for Oklahoma State in 1988. The only other player to reach that milestone was Marcus Allen, who rushed for 2,342 for Southern California in 1981.

“My dad told me to reach for the moon, and if you fall short you’ll still be among the stars. I’m going after my goals,” Peterson said.

Peterson’s father, Nelson, could be there to see some of it. Nelson Peterson is scheduled to be released from an Oklahoma City halfway house in early October. He’ll have finished serving a nine-year sentence for laundering money acquired from the distribution of crack cocaine.

Adrian Peterson was 11 when his dad went to jail.

“It was crazy. I didn’t understand, and it was very hard,” Peterson said.

Nelson has followed his son’s career closely, from his record-setting days at Palestine High in Texas through two years with the Sooners. This one could be the best.

“I’m not overconfident,” Peterson said. “I set my goals high.”

milesl
7/27/2006, 12:19 PM
THEY SAID IT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can sophomore quarterback Rhett Bomar be consistent enough to keep teams from ganging up against Adrian Peterson?

•“Yeah, if they block for him. That O-line wasn’t good at times last year, and they lost three starters. But with Peterson back there, he’ll have a chance to make some throws.” — The Oklahoman columnist Berry Tramel

•“He’s a hard-nosed player. We hit him hard a bunch of times when we played him, and he kept getting up. He impressed me.” — Texas A&M defensive lineman Red Bryant

•“I’m not really focused on Bomar. I’m focused on Texas. You can gang up on Peterson, and he’ll still get his yards.” — Texas safety Michael Griffin

GDC
7/27/2006, 01:12 PM
Stoops won't settle for 2005 demeanor
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Writer
7/27/2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Back flips and parades. That's what the majority of college football fans and administrators will produce if their favorite team records an 8-4 record and caps it off with a bowl win.

Oklahoma definitely isn't in that majority. At least not since Bob Stoops arrived on the Sooners scene seven seasons ago.

Eight wins and a victory in the Holiday Bowl would have prompted some of Stoops' predecessors to immediately demand a raise, a contract extension and induction into the OU Athletic Hall of Fame.

That would also explain why those former OU coaches are now either toiling as assistants elsewhere, or running an obscure program somewhere near the Florida Everglades.

Stoops is a whole different breed of coach when it comes to what he considers a successful season. That's why he spent most of 2005 ticked off.

Four losses doesn't cut it in Stoops' world. Bubba Clinton was in the White House and a gallon of gas cost about $1.50 the last time a Stoops-coached OU team lost more than two games in a season.

That explains why his demeanor hasn't changed much in the off season. That 8-4 finish, the worst since OU went 7-5 Stoops' rookie season in 1999, didn't have Stoops in a jovial mood Wednesday

when he appeared at the Big 12 Conference Media Days.

He was cordial enough when he met the press. But Stoops was less than two minutes into his introductory remarks when he left no doubt what he expects in 2006 out of his players, assistants and himself.

Check that. Stoops won't merely expect toughness, discipline and unselfishness from everyone associated with his eighth OU team. He indicated he'll demand it.

That's why OU's most interesting games this season could be the scrimmages conducted behind closed doors. When fall camp opens next month, Stoops will use the practice sessions to make a serious attitude adjustment with his team.

He doesn't want a new attitude. Quite the contrary. He wants the old attitude, the one that produced a national championship in 2000.

"At that time, we had a lot of guys who had been told they weren't very good and they had something to prove," Stoops said. "They had a chip on their shoulder and played with an attitude."

You'd think last season's 2-3 start and 8-4 finish would have left the entire Sooner Nation sporting an "attitude" as it prepared for 2006.

But it hasn't. And that's what has Stoops both miffed and mystified. And hell-bent on doing something about it.

"I see anymore that we have guys that have a little bit of a sense of entitlement," Stoops said. "They already are told they are pretty good when they haven't done anything. And some of them don't realize they were an 8-4 team a year ago.

"It's hard now days to get them to understand what it takes."

Stoops said this feeling that players have the right to certain things without earning them isn't widespread.

"It's just in spots," he said.

Ah, but a few spots can grow into a team-wide cancer if not dealt with immediately. That eradication apparently will take place during those brutal two-a-day sessions in August.

"It's our job to eliminate those spots," Stoops said. "We've to be more disciplined and tougher. We've got to demand it as coaches, and they need to accept it as players."

Perhaps some Sooners have been reading their press clippings. The preseason hype includes several publications picking them to win the national championship. The Big 12 media made the Sooners an overwhelming choice to win the conference's South Division, even though defending national champion Texas plays in the same division.

Stoops is confident his no-nonsense approach will work, because that's the path he took after that shocking start last September. He recalled Wednesday that he did some personal soul-searching during that period and decided what had worked in 2000 was still workable in 2005 and beyond.

"I gave the staff a pep talk," Stoops said. "I said, 'This is our approach, and we're not going to change it.' We just need to get them to do it better and to eliminate some of the foolish mistakes and some selfish behavior."

Selfishness, entitlement and foolishness are not three words one normally associates with a Stoops team. But when he's the one throwing them out there for consideration, it causes one to take notice.

"We've got to be better to be a championship team," he said. "And we've got to act that way on the field. If we don't, then that's what you get."

What OU got last year is what Stoops isn't about to forget. It's also something he's going to repeat constantly throughout fall camp to those who might have forgotten it.

"We have a lot to prove," Stoops said. "What we were was an 8-4 football team."

And on Stoops' watch, that record doesn't entitle anyone to do back flips and ride in a parade..

Texas Golfer
7/28/2006, 08:54 AM
Go git 'em, Bob!

Flagstaffsooner
7/28/2006, 10:04 AM
or running an obscure program somewhere near the Florida Everglades.
:D

stoopified
7/29/2006, 06:05 PM
That has me all fired up and ready to suit up and hit someone in the mouth.BOOOMER SOONER

AzianSooner
7/29/2006, 07:42 PM
Go Hook'em Bob.

oumartin
7/29/2006, 08:08 PM
i wanna know what bob is getting at.. Is he hearing that some of the guys are being lazy during summer conditioning?
I wanna see that old bob that would tear into the ref on the sideline.. Sounds like that Bob may be back.