PDA

View Full Version : Computer people help!

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 09:25 AM
I saw on here a while ago someone mentioned the can log onto their parents computer and fix it from their computer.

How do I make this happen?

1stTimeCaller
7/27/2006, 09:26 AM
push the Start button.

Mjcpr
7/27/2006, 09:26 AM
I saw on here a while ago someone mentioned the can log onto their parents computer and fix it from their computer.

How do I make this happen?

Windows XP/Control Panel/Remote Access

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 09:29 AM
Do you have to have XP professional?

Mjcpr
7/27/2006, 09:32 AM
Looks that way.....

To use Remote Desktop, you need the following:
A computer running Windows XP Professional ("remote" computer) with a connection to a Local Area Network or the Internet.

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 09:32 AM
:mad:

Mjcpr
7/27/2006, 09:35 AM
There are programs you can buy (shareware??) to do it also, but I haven't used any. We use VNC Viewer here at work but I don't know if it works off of a network. One of our vendors used to use PC Anywhere.

I'm sure there are others.

yermom
7/27/2006, 09:37 AM
what OS are we talking about?

VNC should work pre-XP, but networking it might be an issue depending on the setup

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 09:39 AM
My parents and I are both on Windows XP and we both have Cable internet from Comcast. My mom always has me on the phone with computer issues. It'd just be easier if I could logon from my computer and fix it or do whatever she needs done. I'll have to look for a good program that does this.

yermom
7/27/2006, 10:35 AM
i think XP home has Remote Desktop built in... i know Pro does, but that is basically all i use

it takes over the console though, so she couldn't be on at the same time, there may be a way to turn that off, but i haven't seen it

to turn it on you need to go to the Control Panel, and go to System then check the box on the Remote tab to enable it

that's where it is in Pro, Home should be similar

if she is behind a router you'll need to forward port 3389 to her machine, you'll also need to make an exception in the firewall for that port (hopefully she has one or both of these)

this does allow anyone on the internet to do this as well, btw. it does require a password, but it just makes it that much more open

once that is set up, you can have her get her IP address here: www.whatismyipaddress.com and connect to it by the IP

RacerX
7/27/2006, 10:42 AM
My parents and I are both on Windows XP and we both have Cable internet from Comcast. My mom always has me on the phone with computer issues. It'd just be easier if I could logon from my computer and fix it or do whatever she needs done. I'll have to look for a good program that does this.

Start faking an Indian accent. She'll stop calling.

yermom
7/27/2006, 10:50 AM
ok, after some checking around it looks like Remote Desktop is NOT available on XP Home

Mjcpr
7/27/2006, 10:53 AM
ok, after some checking around it looks like Remote Desktop is NOT available on XP Home

I wish someone had told him this earlier in this thread.

1stTimeCaller
7/27/2006, 11:04 AM
did you hit the Start button?

yermom
7/27/2006, 11:15 AM
I wish someone had told him this earlier in this thread.

reading is hard, or something

actually, i didn't see where he said it was actually Home

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks anyway!

JohnnyMack
7/27/2006, 11:28 AM
up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, B, A, Start.

YWIA.

yermom
7/27/2006, 11:29 AM
there is always VNC... http://www.realvnc.com/documentation.html

it's not all that simple to set up, but once it's working it should reduce the amount of time on the phone ;)

yermom
7/27/2006, 11:30 AM
up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, B, A, Start.

YWIA.

you forgot "Select"

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 11:32 AM

it's not all that simple to set up, but once it's working it should reduce the amount of time on the phone ;)

Thanks!

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 11:33 AM
you forgot "Select"

No he didn't. He's playing by himself cause he's got no friends.

I'm gonna make him a shirt that says, "I Never Get to Push Select" :D

JohnnyMack
7/27/2006, 11:36 AM
No he didn't. He's playing by himself cause he's got no friends.

I'm gonna make him a shirt that says, "I Never Get to Push Select" :D

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 11:45 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif

told ya. :D

GrapevineSooner
7/27/2006, 12:19 PM
I could fix it using a website that we use at work to remote into customer's machines.

But I don't think my company would appreciate me using company time and a company resource to fix a non-company machine used by people not employed by my company. :D

BTW, congrats Johnny Mack.

Sooner_75
7/27/2006, 12:50 PM
Have them send you a remote assistance request. They will need to click on Help and Support. choose Invite a friend to help you with remote assistance. They can then follow the steps and email the request to you. You will receive an attachment. When you run that it will attempt to connect to their computer. They will get a pop up telling them that you are trying to connect. Once they accept you will see thier screen. You can then click on Take Control once again they will have to accept. Then you will have control of their machine.

Sooner_75
7/27/2006, 12:53 PM
I think Windows XP home has remote desktop. If it is not on the Start Menu under Accessories and Communications do a search for a file mstsc.exe. It should be on the Windows directory in the system32 folder. I have not had luck connecting to computers with cable modems because of the ISP using private IP's but I have used the remote assistance to work on many computers. I have even connected to someone's computer on a dialup connection. It was slow but it worked.

noleamite
7/27/2006, 12:54 PM
PC anywhere is a remote host software that can be purchased.

Partial Qualifier
7/27/2006, 01:00 PM

Idunno, the standard version is pretty easy to configure. That would be my recommendation; I use VNC like mad here at work

Mjcpr
7/27/2006, 01:03 PM
Idunno, the standard version is pretty easy to configure. That would be my recommendation; I use VNC like mad here at work

Post some screen shots of Booty's workstation.

We'll wait here....

yermom
7/27/2006, 01:37 PM

i don't know how techie him or his mom is, it's not like just clicking a box like Remote Desktop

colleyvillesooner
7/27/2006, 01:48 PM
i don't know how techie him or his mom is, it's not like just clicking a box like Remote Desktop
I'm not too bad. And this problem arose with her calling me all the time, It's suffice to say she's not. :D