PDA

View Full Version : What's the over/under...

Okla-homey
7/27/2006, 07:27 AM
on whether Gundy will make it another year after this one? Will team owner T. Boone give him the boot?

How about Franchione? The ags are paying him $2M a year and gotta be about ready to say adios.

GDC
7/27/2006, 09:16 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73148&highlight=hot+seat+coaches

BoomerJack
7/27/2006, 09:39 AM
Perhaps a better way to phrase this would be to ask "what's the minimum number of losses these coaches can incur this season and not get fired?".

For Franchione I think it's 5. Justifiable or not, expectations in Aggieland are high. Fran's been there too long to not have put their team in division contention. Losses to TTech and Nebbish could be the final straw.

For Gundy, who knows. Athlon's has them with only three wins, all non-conf. and toss-up games with K-State and Baylor. That team would REALLY, REALLY have to crap out this year for Gundy to get fired. I'll say 9 or 10 very lopsided losses.

Taxman71
7/27/2006, 09:41 AM
Something illegal would have to happen for Gundy to get the axe as he is Boone's main guy and he can always play the "I cleaned up the program" card for a while.

JohnnyMack
7/27/2006, 11:38 AM
Gundy goes 4 - 8 and he should be summarily fired and replaced with Gene Chizik.

He gets to 5 or 6 wins and he'll get another year.

MI Sooner
7/27/2006, 11:42 AM
I think the minimum number of losses Fran and Gundy can incur and not get fired is zero.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/27/2006, 11:43 AM
He will last after this season unless OSU doesn't win a game and is blown out every game.

I_SMELL_FEAR
7/27/2006, 11:56 AM
I agree with taxman, he was hand picked by pickens and he will get at least 3-4 years if not more and that will be just long enough for him to undo everything lesster did, and take them right back to the bottom of the Big XII.

SoonerDood
7/27/2006, 12:00 PM
Something illegal would have to happen for Gundy to get the axe as he is Boone's main guy and he can always play the "I cleaned up the program" card for a while.
hmm like paying all the "High Profile recruits that are attracted to great facilities"? I'm sure that will come out eventually. But I agree with you. He'll have to do something illegal, or go 4-8 for a few more years. I think this will be one of those years.

Fran- if he goes 7-5, he's gone. With their schedule being a complete joke, they should at least 8-1 by the time we come to town.

Pinkel- only a bowl or a win over an elite team, ie US, can save him.

GDC
7/27/2006, 01:10 PM
The List
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
7/27/2006

Coaches on the five hottest seats in the Big 12.

1. Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M: The nightmare continues. Arrived after a messy divorce from Alabama four years ago and promptly lost his dignity in a 4-8 debut season which included a 77-0 debacle at Oklahoma. Two years later it hadn't gotten much better -- the Aggies were 5-6 with a Wrecking Crew defense that was more Wretching Crew. Entering '06, Franchione has turned over his team, not to mention defensive coordinators. Still, at $2 million per season and considering his 16-19 overall record, odds are the damage is irrepairable.

2. Gary Pinkel, Missouri: He had dynamic quarterback Brad Smith in his pocket the past four years, and couldn't do any better than a 7-5, Independence Bowl-winning 2005 season. Now he tries another gifted QB in sophomore Chase Daniel, but history is working against Pinkel. So is a frosty personality, and the fact that Missouri fans are fed up with the mediocre state of Tiger athletics in general.

3. Bill Callahan, Nebraska: He is as out of place in Lincoln as Tom Osborne would have been in L.A. Callahan will never warm Husker hearts, but he can win them over. So far, that hasn't happened -- he is 13-10 in two years despite

playing in a punchless North Division. If he doesn't win big this season, you'll find him at the top of this list prior to the '07 season.

4. Mark Mangino, Kansas: Ended the Jayhawks' long losing streaks against Kansas State and Nebraska the last two years. That certainly helps, as does his regular success against archrival Missouri. But a 19-29 record in four years doesn't. To make matters worse, KU is in the NCAA doghouse because of academic impropriety within the football program.

5. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State: Yes, he's only been on the job one year. Sure, he's one of OSU's own. But when sugar daddy T. Boone Pickens pours millions into your program to keep pace with the Big 12, you better do just that. Gundy's rookie season, including a 1-7 conference record and embarrassing losses to Baylor, Colorado and Oklahoma, can't be what Mr. Pickens has in mind..

MiccoMacey
7/27/2006, 05:27 PM
I think the minimum number of losses Fran and Gundy can incur and not get fired is zero.

Even if they meet in the BCS Championship game, they will have to have at least one loss between them as they play during the season. :)

BudSooner
7/27/2006, 06:32 PM
4. Mark Mangino, Kansas: Ended the Jayhawks' long losing streaks against Kansas State and Nebraska the last two years. That certainly helps, as does his regular success against archrival Missouri. But a 19-29 record in four years doesn't. To make matters worse, KU is in the NCAA doghouse because of Mangino running up a whopping bill at McDonalds and making the players pay.

:D

goingoneight
7/27/2006, 10:29 PM
People in the Stool are all second-guessing Gumby. I assure you that lOSUr will be sickened with losing streaks while OU and Texas reign high. They got accustomed to TV appearances with Lester, and they're really reaching for a league in which they don't belong. Boone may admire Gumby, but he didn't dish out big money for 4 & 7's. I can honestly say that with all the hype surrounding this "next step" lOSUr is taking that if Gumby falls to the bottom of the South 6 again, they'll look to spend even more cash on a higher profile name. They only made two TV appearances and stunk up the BIG 12 last year and still recorded the fourth best recruiting class in the league apparently... big money talks and what they're doing could get them in serious trouble, or it could get their opponents into serious trouble if OSU becomes the next Auburn. In light of the way they treat us disrespectfully and turn us in for stupid violations like 550 phone calls to recruits over the course of five years (count up how many BS calls you've made personally over the last five years, I mean come on...), I hope they get burned and an SMU-type of fate is in their future.

BIG 12, what's BIG about Stoolwater?