PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Media Day (AD Comments)

mrowl
7/26/2006, 03:50 PM
Big 12 Media Days: OU's Peterson thinking big

Oklahoma was the last team to head into the banquet room here at the Marriott Country Club Plaza, but the Sooners certainly drew the lion’s share of attention. RB Adrian Peterson said his goal this season is 2,200 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards.

The first part I can understand. But, c’mon, AD. 500 receiving yards? This is a guy who has 14 career catches for 62 yards in two seasons.

“I can catch the ball,” Peterson said. “You’ve got to throw it to me first.”

Coach Bob Stoops said: “He’s not the easiest guy to sneak out on a screen. It’s not like they’re not watching him.”

:pop:

http://sportssay.beloblog.com/?nl

OUstudent4life
7/26/2006, 03:56 PM
It’s not like they’re not watching him.

Heh.

What game was that...Nebraska?...where AD came in on like the third play, everyone in the stadium/watching on TV thought the play was going to him, and we executed the most perfect (and in retrospect, the most obvious) fake ever?

Jello Biafra
7/26/2006, 04:05 PM
Big 12 Media Days: OU's Peterson thinking big

Oklahoma was the last team to head into the banquet room here at the Marriott Country Club Plaza, but the Sooners certainly drew the lion’s share of attention. RB Adrian Peterson said his goal this season is 2,200 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards.

The first part I can understand. But, c’mon, AD. 500 receiving yards? This is a guy who has 14 career catches for 62 yards in two seasons.

“I can catch the ball,” Peterson said. “You’ve got to throw it to me first.”

Coach Bob Stoops said: “He’s not the easiest guy to sneak out on a screen. It’s not like they’re not watching him.”

http://sportssay.beloblog.com/?nl

those 500 yards better come off of streaks. he will surely have 3 guys on him if he goes out on a route. hmmmmm come to think about it...... two back set. peterson deep down the sidelines, shuttle, shuffle, flick, what the hell ever to the remaining "blocking" back.... got potential.

DeadSolidPerfect
7/26/2006, 04:17 PM
Got to love it, AD is expecting 3000 yds. I don't think Pumkin U gained 3000 yds all of last year.

TheGodfather889
7/26/2006, 05:47 PM
Adrian does so much for the offense. More than just getting alot of yards and touchdowns. He has half the defense keying on him so it leaves everyone else free and can make more plays.

MamaMia
7/26/2006, 05:49 PM
Oh great. I missed it all. Sometimes it seems that I'm a day late and a dollar short. :(

Jello Biafra
7/26/2006, 07:44 PM
Adrian does so much for the offense. More than just getting alot of yards and touchdowns. He has half the defense keying on him so it leaves everyone else free and can make more plays.'

so...he's like reggie bush

with talent.

badger
7/26/2006, 07:49 PM
he's like reggie bush--- (soon to have) a heisman:
http://sooner.nmn.speedera.net/pics21/400/MS/MSVTSOPZBQEIKOG.20041121015842.jpg
without the non-NCAA-approved house:
http://blog.sportscolumn.com/images/storyimages/bushfamily.jpg
"If he holds out, will we have to go back to our old apartment?"

JohnnyMack
7/26/2006, 07:57 PM
Kevin Wilson makes my stomach hurt. I hope he uses AD right and doesn't try to force his system too hard.

Octavian
7/26/2006, 09:04 PM
Kevin Wilson makes my stomach hurt. I hope he uses AD right and doesn't try to force his system too hard.

Me too.

Line his Herculean *** up seven yards deep and give him the ball.

To get really tricky, fake it to him and throw high percentages...

He's that good.

goingoneight
7/26/2006, 10:05 PM
Me too.

Line his Herculean *** up seven yards deep and give him the ball.

To get really tricky, fake it to him and throw high percentages...

He's that good.

I was under the impression after TCU and UCLA that Chuck Long's playbook was getting a little bit predictable...

Snrfn4ever08
7/26/2006, 10:24 PM
listen to what you're saying here. he did a lot better in the holiday bowl than chuck long did in any game in his entire career

Octavian
7/26/2006, 10:38 PM
I was under the impression after TCU and UCLA that Chuck Long's playbook was getting a little bit predictable...

yeah, my scenario does assume blocking. ;)

We were predictable in '04 and look what he did.

That's the big question heading into '06:

With Adrian two years matured from his awesome freshman year, what is the least our offensive line has to do/be for us to be good from the I?

B/c if we can open up holes from the I, '06 will be really fun.

Octavian
7/26/2006, 10:40 PM
listen to what you're saying here. he did a lot better in the holiday bowl than chuck long did in any game in his entire career

uh oh.

goingoneight
7/26/2006, 10:44 PM
yeah, my scenario does assume blocking. ;)

We were predictable in '04 and look what he did.

That's the big question heading into '06:

With Adrian two years matured from his awesome freshman year, what is the least our offensive line has to do/be for us to be good from the I?

B/c if we can open up holes from the I, '06 will be really fun.

I wasn't downing ya. Believe me I like the I every now and then, but for eleven games in 2005, it seemed OUr QB couldn't move away from blitzes so all we did was shotgun or run it into the wall.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/26/2006, 11:22 PM
If AD said he was going to have 5,000 yards recieving I would probably say he can do it. Really it doesn't matter what he predicts his yards to be all he has to do is go out there and win games for us.

birddog
7/26/2006, 11:53 PM
i'd like to see them use the word deadpanned a few more times. blogging blows.

Egeo
7/27/2006, 01:56 AM
you guys kill me
first, its im sick of all the offensive predictability
then, i wish we'd run the ball out of the same formation all the time

*not knowing who actually posted what, but using what seems to be the general consesus of the board*

stonecoldsoonerfan
7/27/2006, 09:45 AM
i still don't know why we haven't used the halfback/tailback pass more with a.d. throwing it. the wr's would be wide open if we did.

JohnnyMack
7/27/2006, 10:28 AM
you guys kill me
first, its im sick of all the offensive predictability
then, i wish we'd run the ball out of the same formation all the time

*not knowing who actually posted what, but using what seems to be the general consesus of the board*

Would you run the wishbone with Matt Leinart?

HarrisTubbsFan
7/27/2006, 10:40 AM
The option was pretty predictable for the most part. Yet OU did a pretty good job of running up the score with it from the 1950's till the 1980s. If you want an offense that's completely unpredictable how about John Blake's offenses? Some times Joe D or Winder didn't know what offense they were gonna run.

Beef
7/27/2006, 11:07 AM
Would you run the wishbone with Matt Leinart?
Yes. Just to see him get pummeled and more cross-eyed. Then I would put in someone who can run it.

JohnnyMack
7/27/2006, 11:37 AM
Yes. Just to see him get pummeled and more cross-eyed. Then I would put in someone who can run it.

Good point.

CU Sooner
7/27/2006, 11:55 AM
The option wasn't predictable, you could run right, left or up the middle. Seriously, the I doesn't have to be predictable. The 5 or 6 times we ran play action last year we had great results. I would like to see the I more times thatn the spread this year.

HarrisTubbsFan
7/27/2006, 12:03 PM
I think predictablity is a bit overrated. I mean you can be the most unpredictable offense and still never score touch downs. Last year our defense didn't give our offense any field position like it had in past years. They didn't cause many turnovers. And our offense simply was so young it didn't know how to move the ball without AD. Our offense will still be pretty young. But hopefully we have AD all year.

Soonermagik
7/27/2006, 12:17 PM
Why not have Demarco Murray/Allen patrick behind Bomar and line AD up in the slot occassionally??

KC//CRIMSON
7/27/2006, 01:12 PM
If AD gets 2,200 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards, then James Patton deserves the biggest raise in college football history.

soonerinabilene
7/27/2006, 01:19 PM
The option wasn't predictable, you could run right, left or up the middle. Seriously, the I doesn't have to be predictable. The 5 or 6 times we ran play action last year we had great results. I would like to see the I more times thatn the spread this year.

paul thompson overthrew a wide open receiver on the first play of the year, and long said, ok, no more of that.

Sooner-N-KS
7/27/2006, 02:23 PM
paul thompson overthrew a wide open receiver on the first play of the year, and long said, ok, no more of that.

I was at that game, and I remember the play. I can't remember who the receiver was, but he was so far open it was ridiculous. With just an OK pass that would have been an easy touchdown and the difference in the game.

oumartin
7/27/2006, 02:33 PM
i'd like to see more J.W. to M.C. myself but that aint gonna happen.

goingoneight
7/27/2006, 11:07 PM
The option was pretty predictable for the most part. Yet OU did a pretty good job of running up the score with it from the 1950's till the 1980s. If you want an offense that's completely unpredictable how about John Blake's offenses? Some times Joe D or Winder didn't know what offense they were gonna run.

We did have Mack Brown on staff before, ya know...

goingoneight
7/27/2006, 11:08 PM
If AD gets 2,200 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards, then DeMarco Murray better get his @$$ in and contribute, too!.

Good Point :cool:.

goingoneight
7/27/2006, 11:10 PM
i'd like to see more J.W. to M.C. myself but that aint gonna happen.

I'll get them on the phone. That way Vince can get pwned again...

Herr Scholz
7/28/2006, 01:41 AM
Why not have Demarco Murray/Allen patrick behind Bomar and line AD up in the slot occassionally??
You don't have an OL?

Blue
7/28/2006, 01:52 AM
You don't have an OL?

Prick.

caphorns
7/28/2006, 08:58 AM
I preferred Bob's Sargeant Bilka conference. There's going to be some chops busted in a couple of weeks. Always entertaining. Always. Got to give it up to the drill sargeant though. He's going to have a disciplined unit come hell or highwater. So I'm not so sure I can bank on that OL being anything but stout particluarly with the run blocking. The bigger issue is can these young guys pass block and do they have depth if a couple players go down.

Soonermagik
7/28/2006, 08:59 AM
You don't have an OL?

You don't have Romance Taylor, so take that. ;)

Van Wilder
7/28/2006, 02:10 PM
On the first play of the game last year against TCU it was Travis Wilson who Paul Thompson overthrew. I'm not kidding but after that play which we had for a few yrs before that always produced big plays and touchdowns and to see that overthrown i knew it was gonna be a long season on offense.

boomrsoonr
7/29/2006, 07:09 PM
If defenders don't keep him in front of them, they could be in for some long days. I could see him making catches much like Clayton, and running away from anyone not directly in front of him.