PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/26/2006, 02:01 PM
Geoffrey Pullum of Language Log wrote on the 'buffalo' parsing example back in January 2005; I'll try not to steal too much of his thunder.

1. Buffalo buffalo.

In sentence (1) we have a simple declaration, albeit with some poetic license: Buffalo, Bos bubalus, that special species of oxen, are in this context assumed to be able to buffalo other living creatures.

Quick detour: the Oxford English Dictionary defines the transitive verb buffalo as "To overpower, overawe, or constrain by superior force or influence; to outwit, perplex."

2. Buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Now we have some more clarity in our poetic example. Buffalo are capable of outwitting other members of their own species. Who would have thunk it?

3. Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Here is the deal with sentence (3): Buffalo whom other bison outwit also engage in this behavior. Understand?

4. Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

And the plot thickens. Buffalo who have been, in turn, buffaloed by other buffalo, engage in this behavior themselves.

I won't bore you (or freak you out, as the case may be), but you'll note that we can continue to tack on the word 'buffalo' to this sentence and maintain a reasonably logical and grammatically correct sentence.

http://www.mtannoyances.com/?p=425

mdklatt
7/26/2006, 02:08 PM
3. Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Here is the deal with sentence (3): Buffalo whom other bison outwit also engage in this behavior. Understand?

I call BS right here. Buffalo buffalo buffalo who buffalo. That cannot be grammatically correct without the "who".

Buffalo buffalo buffalo who buffalo buffalo. Again, the who is necessary.

OU4LIFE
7/26/2006, 02:09 PM
This is about my hole-in-one isn't it?

thanks man.

GDC
7/26/2006, 02:12 PM
I thought the scientific name was Bison bison.

colleyvillesooner
7/26/2006, 02:12 PM
http://www.newint.org/issue218/Images/dancespic.jpg

Tatonka.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/26/2006, 02:16 PM
Good trade.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/26/2006, 02:17 PM
I call BS right here. Buffalo buffalo buffalo who buffalo. That cannot be grammatically correct without the "who".

Buffalo buffalo buffalo who buffalo buffalo. Again, the who is necessary.

You're not reading it right.

OU4LIFE
7/26/2006, 02:19 PM
you have to read it right to left.

mdklatt
7/26/2006, 02:22 PM
You're not reading it right.

It could be "buffalo buffalo buffaloed buffalo", but I don't see how "buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo" makes any sense.

OU4LIFE
7/26/2006, 02:31 PM
Hole-in-one buffalo buffalo hole-in-one.