PDA

View Full Version : Colorado 2006.

I_Live_In_OK
7/26/2006, 01:20 PM
So I'm watching the Buffaloes spring game (w/ commentary from Dan Hawkins). I'm thinking in a couple of years, we can see changes with CU like we are seeing with Nebraska. Deliberate, but noticeable. Not a serious national contender, but heading in a different direction.

Their schedule looks like this:

Montana State
Colorado State (Invesco Field)
Arizona State
at GEORGIA
at MISSOURI
Baylor
Texas Tech
at OKLAHOMA
at KANSAS
Kansas State
Iowa State
at NEBRASKA

Lone Starr Buckeye
7/26/2006, 02:12 PM
I think you will see better results from CU than UNL. Not such a drastic schematic change. We will throw more vertical and Hawkins has always liked to get plays to his playmakers whereas Barnett cleverly used his best talent as sideline decoys to thwart opposing coaches.

I think the defense will attack more at the LOS and the offense will throw a pass longer than 10 yards.

I think in 3 years if everything falls into place CU will be top the XII North and competing in the big games. Barnett was awful against top25 talent and I hope Hawkins has more success versus that benchmark. At least a .500 record with equal competition.

soonerlaw
7/26/2006, 02:18 PM
To me, Colorado is the one potential danger in our schedule. I really have no idea how good they are going to be or how they will be able to gel by the time they play us. They have a good program and now a young, energetic coach, so you never know. But I'm sure in the next couple of years they will really strenghten the Big-12 North along with Nebraska and (possibly) KSU.

Lone Starr Buckeye
7/26/2006, 02:27 PM
You never know but I dont think CU has the talent to win the OU game just yet. They all put on the pads the same but in terms of talent OU wins this one going away. Hawkins wont let CU quit like they did last year. He is preaching "finish" to the team.

That wont get "W" on some Saturdays (UGA, OU) but it will mean compete and play to win.

Now in 2007 when the schemes and players are 1 year into things and the venue switches to Boulder, then you might need to be a bit worried! :)

starclassic tama
7/26/2006, 03:54 PM
that's a pretty tough nonconference...

Jello Biafra
7/26/2006, 04:01 PM
that's a pretty tough nonconference...

agreed. they will be 2-2 heading into big XII play.

I don't think colorado is going to have the talent with all of the "stories" in the news about them in the past 5 years. no one in their right mind would go there if they had talent at all. Neuheisel was suppose to be the next one to get them to the NC. now he's "volunteering" at a high school or something. if you remember, Barnett was the "next big thing" coming out of Northwestern and he got beat down pretty good in the big xii and looked like an azz in the process. Colorado won't be "back" for a few years. BIIIIG wins over a struggling nebish over the last few years doesn't mean they are close to the pinnacle....

Tear Down This Wall
7/26/2006, 04:12 PM
FWIW, Hawkins is a notorious SNP ... Sideline Nose-Picker.

Plus, he wears an f'n QB arm-thingy.

I think he stole the last .50 out of my car ashtray once, too! Miscreant! :mad:

JohnnyMack
7/26/2006, 04:24 PM
Looks like a .500 kinda season. Hope they enjoy Ft. Worth in December.

I_Live_In_OK
7/26/2006, 05:00 PM
Actually, I only see two games you can pencil down as wins.

In the next few years, the things Colorado has going for them are — the North isn't going to retain its deep and talented prestige from 97-01 anytime soon, Brett Meyer is a senior, A&M, OSU and Tech appear to be molding together in the south and Hawkins is liberal of the "dirtbag" auras eminating each time Neuhisel/Barnett stepped onto the field.

The things Colorado has going against them are — Nebraska is recruiting in California again and Kansas is going to pull one on somebody...I just get a feeling KU is starting to find some sort of identity up there and Mangino is a terrific coach who won't lie over on his side and accept losing all the time.

I_Live_In_OK
7/26/2006, 05:21 PM
no one in their right mind would go [to Colorado] if they had talent at all.

That may be the case in Hawkin's career initially. And if it is, that'll simply place Colorado's recruiting on par with the rest of the North, sans NU and Callahan's NFL connections. Not many star athletes sign on with Mizzou, KSU, KU and Iowa State anyway. Hawkins had a non-existent recruiting source at Boise State and did well because of his system, though a lot of people would credit that to Chris Peterson.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2006, 07:56 PM
Mangino is a terrific coach who won't lie over on his side

Have you seen him lately? I don't think that's technically possible.