PDA

View Full Version : what's going on at k-state?

PDXsooner
7/26/2006, 11:46 AM
in this week's sports illustrated it lists the top 6 high school players in the nation, and two of them list kansas state as a finalist. hmmmmmm. either huggins is that great of a guy, or there's something fishy. i smell halibut.

PrideTrombone
7/26/2006, 12:16 PM
Remember, he had an entire year where he wasn't employed by an NCAA institution and wasn't subject to the NCAA's recruiting rules. He could've recruited these guys for whatever school he landed at.

badger
7/26/2006, 05:58 PM
Kansas State has turned into K-http://www.mssmallbiz.com/Site%20Pics/dollar%20sign.jpg-U

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2006, 06:36 PM
I doubt they have enough money to keep up with Rick Barnes and UT.

badger
7/26/2006, 08:09 PM
if everyone has their price in basketball, KSU will just have to go after some lower-priced players than UT :D

...and Kelvin will have to stop calling them all the time, trying to talk them out of breaking NCAA rules.

...and one of the Suttons will have not being able to waive Boone Picken's money in recruit's faces after Kelvin talks to them, so they will turn us in for excessive calling.

... thus, the moneyness continues and UT, OSU and to a lesser extent at KSU, Kelvin goes someplace where he can council players via text messaging instead, and we get Saint Dukie who thinks players just want to play ball at a quality institution.

Search your feelings. You know it to be true :D

skycat
7/27/2006, 10:06 AM
Huggins understands that recruiting right now is based on connections with AAU coaches/advisors. He has excellent relationships with several of those types, and has picked assistants that also have extremely strong AAU ties.

And as noted, when he was unemployed he had no restrictions on how much face time, or how many calls he could make to recruits. Don't think that he didn't take advantage of that.

He also has the ability to sell the fact that he has the best active winning percentage of coaches in the Big 12, including 14 straight NCAA tournament appearances.

As to the cheating accusations, those are unfounded. His program was cited once in his tenure at Cinncy, but never for anything like what is being insinuated in this thread. His baggage comes from character issues, both his (DUI) and his players.

I'm not sure how long he'll stay, but for however long he's in Manhattan, you can bet we'll have a winner.

JohnnyMack
7/27/2006, 11:41 AM
He just seems like a scumbag. I'm sure he cheats. I have no evidence to back that claim up, just a feeling.

skycat
7/27/2006, 11:43 AM
Well that settles that.

And isn't a namby-pamby liberal humper like you supposed to believe in "innocent until proven guilty"? ;)

JohnnyMack
7/27/2006, 11:52 AM
Well that settles that.

And isn't a namby-pamby liberal humper like you supposed to believe in "innocent until proven guilty"? ;)

Didn't you hear? :dean: and JK think I may have turned a corner to Conservativeville yesterday. I'm on the path to becoming one of :dean:'s disciples.

skycat
7/27/2006, 12:04 PM
Well, since I'm sure those two don't visit the bball board all that often, you can let 'em know that you've taken another step. :)

NormanPride
7/27/2006, 04:34 PM
Huggins likes to kick puppies right after paying players. I saw it. He kicked a beagle yesterday.

skycat
7/27/2006, 04:46 PM
In that case TopDawg better watch out!

Oh, wait...

;)

william_brasky
8/3/2006, 02:13 AM
great players want to play for great coaches. it's that simple. huggy bear is a monster of a coach.

skycat
8/8/2006, 12:28 AM
New Rivals rankings have come out. The number one player in the 2007 class is a K-State commit.

Frankly, I don't care if you guys don't care, this is just flippin' sweet.:P

PDXsooner
8/10/2006, 12:38 PM
i thought kevin love was going to ucla?

skycat
8/10/2006, 12:50 PM
i thought kevin love was going to ucla?

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/15/beasley1af3.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PDXsooner
8/10/2006, 01:23 PM
damn, kstate is going to be good. i thought love was #1, must be some other ranking. you know how that goes...

skycat
8/10/2006, 01:28 PM
I think he may be #1 on Scout.

And of course, the rankings could change some, Beasley hasn't inked an LOI yet, yada, yada...

But I don't think that there is any way that I could feel better about our basketball program right now.

49r
8/10/2006, 03:33 PM
Bobby Knight (a HOF coach) did pretty well at Tech for a year or so, too!

"The Big XII Conference: Where washed up old coaches go to fade into bolivian"

skycat
8/10/2006, 03:56 PM
Bobby Knight wasn't getting anywhere near the same kind of recruits look at him as Huggins is.

Not even close.

49r
8/11/2006, 12:08 PM
Heh,

your optimism is so cute.

Tark got good recruits to go to Fresno, that worked out real well too. Want other examples of washed up coaches trying to regain past glory?

skycat
8/11/2006, 01:06 PM
Seriously?

You're going to compare Tark's situation at Fresno to what Huggins is doing at K-State? Please. Go ahead and rattle off all of the names that you want.

Huggins has Beasley committed. Beasley is quoted as saying that Bill Walker will commit soon (another top 10 player). OJ Mayo is still a possibility, albeit a remote one. There are other top 100 players strongly considering K-State for 2007.

This is after bringing in a class for this season that includes a 5 star center and a 4 star SG.

If you have talent on the floor, your basketball team will win a lot of games. Huggins is bringing in first class talent. We will win a lot of games.

49r
8/11/2006, 01:42 PM
Seriously?

You're going to compare Tark's situation at Fresno to what Huggins is doing at K-State? Please. Go ahead and rattle off all of the names that you want.

Huggins has Beasley committed. Beasley is quoted as saying that Bill Walker will commit soon (another top 10 player). OJ Mayo is still a possibility, albeit a remote one. There are other top 100 players strongly considering K-State for 2007.

This is after bringing in a class for this season that includes a 5 star center and a 4 star SG.

If you have talent on the floor, your basketball team will win a lot of games. Huggins is bringing in first class talent. We might win a lot of games.

Fixed it for ya :D

skycat
8/11/2006, 01:49 PM
I guess I could settle for this:

We will probably win a lot of games.

;)

KC//CRIMSON
8/13/2006, 06:01 PM
K-State suspends hoops center Hughes.

By HOWARD RICHMAN
The Kansas City Star
Kansas State senior men’s basketball player Tyler Hughes has been suspended indefinitely, the school announced in a prepared statement Saturday.

The school did not offer a reason why. But The Star learned that Hughes, a 6-foot-11 center from Olathe North, appears on the Kansas Bureau of Investigation registered sex offender database. His name was registered May 25.

“We really don’t have a comment at this point,” Rodney Hughes, Tyler’s father, said by phone Saturday evening.

In the statement from the school, K-State athletic director Tim Weiser said: “Until we have fully investigated and know all the facts surrounding the situation, Tyler has been suspended indefinitely from all team activities, and we have no further comment.”

Hughes appeared in 26 games in 2005-06, all as a reserve. He averaged 7 minutes 1.7 points and two rebounds. His high point game was eight against Texas A&M.

Hughes’ playing time had decreased from the previous season, when he made five starts and averaged 10.8 minutes.

skycat
8/14/2006, 08:21 AM
Friends back Hughes
K-State forward’s inclusion on the sex offender list shocks all who know him.
By HOWARD RICHMAN
The Kansas City Star
Hughes

Mention the name of Kansas State basketball player Tyler Hughes, and former Olathe North athletic director Jim Ater rattles off the positives.

“Great kid, great parents, great family,” Ater said Sunday.

That’s why news that the 21-year-old Hughes, a 6-foot-11 forward, has been suspended indefinitely from the Wildcats’ basketball team is so shocking to those who know him well.

On Saturday, it was learned that Hughes appears on the Kansas Bureau of Investigation registered sex offender database. Hughes, who will be a senior, was registered May 25 for aggravated indecent liberties with a child.

Johnson County District Attorney Paul Morrison indicated Sunday the incident involving Hughes occurred before his 18th birthday.

So why has it taken so long for the case to surface?

“It didn’t come to the attention of law enforcement until about three years after it happened,” Morrison said. “It is not uncommon at all to have a delay in cases like this.”

Morrison declined to go into specifics about the case.

I have no idea what all this is about.

King Crimson
8/14/2006, 11:45 AM
Bobby Knight (a HOF coach) did pretty well at Tech for a year or so, too!

"The Big XII Conference: Where washed up old coaches go to fade into bolivian"

BK was in the Sweet 16 year before last.

jus sayin'.