PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm scared about a young O-line

OUstudent4life
7/26/2006, 11:41 AM
Some of you probably have seen this, and some of you are probably tired of links to posts on EDSBS.com, but these posts have been awesome, especially for someone like me who doesn't know all the little things that go into making a team great.

Basic, understandable description of the O-line (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=2322)

soonervegas
7/26/2006, 11:56 AM
I can understand why there is some concern when it comes to the O-Line, but I actually think that will end up working out much better than expected.

I think our potential frustration with this season can be summed up in one word:

Bomar

If he makes bone headed plays against the likes of Texas, Oregon, A&M, and Missouri this year....we are going to squander a really good opportunity to win the Big 12 Championship and/or play in a BCS bowl game.

That isn't meant to trash Bomar (I think he will end up being an really good quarterback). I just don't know if he is going to be "a really good quarterback" as a sophmore.

NormanPride
7/26/2006, 12:08 PM
For some reason I think he'll be okay. He really only made about one stupid pass a game last year. He'd miss receivers, but not throw into triple coverage too much.

Honestly, with the talent that we have I would think the run blocking would be better... Pass blocking not so much, but I can't imagine it would be worse. The more I think about it, the more I worry about our FB and TE situation. After losing JD and Bubba, that's two really great blockers that nobody talks about. Our OLine may end up being okay, but the overall blocking may suffer.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/26/2006, 12:18 PM
if you go back and look at the tape of the last 2 springs, the one thing that stands out is the improvement as a unit in blocking.

in the 2005 spring game, you could watch 15 random plays and see 30+ whiffs. this immediately disrupted the play. whether it be coaching or players, blake had better OL performances than this one...

in the 2006 spring game, most every time they connected with their man, they just weren't talented enough to hold the blocks very long. however, the play actually got off for the most part.

does this mean they will be better? yes. how much is hard to say.

I_Live_In_OK
7/26/2006, 12:33 PM
They're so young. With a unit this inexperienced, you always hope the growing pains have passed, because what follows are usually positive, gelling experiences.

If the crew improves this year (let's say, up to a grade of "average"), we can look forward to a good offensive line in 2007, and a good one again in 2008. Hopefully by 09 and 10 Stoops will have unloaded on three or four consecutive classes filled with linemen and we'll have eliminated the attrition problem by then and be stable for a while.

soonerinabilene
7/26/2006, 12:42 PM
thats why i like schmitty. if the young ones can handle his workouts, and not quit the team, they are going to have a higher mindset and determination going into the season. they are prepared. they got ALOT of playing time in the spring. i think they will be one of the good surprises of the year.

I_Live_In_OK
7/26/2006, 01:29 PM
There is always a quality payoff with a bruiser like Jerry Schmidt. Much pride comes from what he does and who he teaches. Some kids aren't ready to handle that, but a lot are.

TheGodfather889
7/26/2006, 03:03 PM
I think what makes a team great and a BCS caliber and or a National Championship caliber team is a great defense and a great offensive line. It does help alot if you have All American quarterbacks,runningbacks and receivers. But all those guys don't have any success without a great offensive line. If you look at every National Champion they have both those things. A great defense and a great offensive line. OU right now has a great defense. But do they have a great or even good offensive line? We'll find out in a month or so.

goingoneight
7/26/2006, 10:36 PM
For some reason I think he'll be okay. He really only made about one stupid pass a game last year. He'd miss receivers, but not throw into triple coverage too much.

Honestly, with the talent that we have I would think the run blocking would be better... Pass blocking not so much, but I can't imagine it would be worse. The more I think about it, the more I worry about our FB and TE situation. After losing JD and Bubba, that's two really great blockers that nobody talks about. Our OLine may end up being okay, but the overall blocking may suffer.

We've noticed and discussed for months about the loss of J.D.
And everyone here seems to think Joe John will get over his butter fingers syndrome and become the next Jay Novacek.

Boom or bust is all I can say abOUt OUr OL in 2006. We've had the talent to BOOM in 2005 and we busted. We were stripped to BUST in 2000 but BOOMED all season long. It comes down to big bodies who are dedicated and healthy. Offensive Line is some hard work containing guys like Rufus, Roy, etc. It is very strenuous work that had OUr strength and conditioning coach not been a hardass we'd be in even more trouble then we already are with OUr bigguns up front.

Blocking and giving time for the offense to work is critical, I know. But we don't run a zone-read offense, so OUr players won't ever be cemented in stone under center. Bomar is seemingly going to end up being OUr best running QB yet (IN THE STOOPS ERA) and does well passing on the move as well. AD has proven himself to be a beast even without an OL. As evident in the brilliant performance against Tulsa in 2005. If OUr offense can run and decide as quickly as OUr 2000 offense did at near warp-speed, we can make OUr way around the small OL problems like blitz flooding.

I really hope we don't fall off the map like everyone else in Sooner Red. But until we get OUr guys to hold off murderers' row, I predict we'll run a lot of play-action and Bomar rolling away from tacklers since he seems to zip the ball away on the run so well. Besides, we can be a more effective offense if we don't workhorse and injure AD like we did early-on last season.

Don't worry abOUt the OL guys, OUr D will get us the ball so we can have plenty of practice to get it right!!! ;)