PDA

View Full Version : Sideline switch or band relocation?

Paperclip
7/26/2006, 11:18 AM
An excerpt from an article in today's DO.

The Big 12 has also asked schools to make their "best effort" to move bands from behind visiting team's sidelines this season. In 2007, schools will be required to seat bands away from the visiting teams.

"There's really no good reason for bands to be behind (the visitors)," Weiberg said. "We're trying to create a little bit of a buffer zone. We want the best atmosphere around our stadiums."

I remember when OU used to be on the East sideline because of this same rule in the Big 8, then moved to the West to take advantage of the shade when the Big XII was formed. It'll be interesting to see if Bob lobbies to keep the shade and force the band to move. Maybe to the South end zone?

Sooner_Havok
7/26/2006, 11:26 AM
That is so stupid! I guess that next they will ask for the students not to be behind the visiting team, then they will ask the home fans to be quite when the visiting team's offense is on the field. :rolleyes:

PrideTrombone
7/26/2006, 11:28 AM
Glad this happened after I graduated. I'd be ****ed if I was still in the band; those are really good seats.

CincySooner
7/26/2006, 12:20 PM
Glad this happened after I graduated. I'd be ****ed if I was still in the band; those are really good seats.

ditto

ultimatesooner1
7/26/2006, 12:44 PM
just move the band 3 sections north and switch w/ the students. the band would be in the corner/goalline and noone would lose assigned seats

SoonerDood
7/26/2006, 12:53 PM
just move the band 3 sections north and switch w/ the students. the band would be in the corner/goalline and noone would lose assigned seats
that sounds like the easiest solution.

If it weren't for Bud Selig, Kevin Weiberg would be the worst commissioner in the history of the world. Is the only reason he's still around because of his nephew being on the OSU plane?

PrideTrombone
7/26/2006, 12:58 PM
There was a push by Joe C a few years back to move the band to an endzone, I wonder if this won't be the excuse he needs to do that.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
7/26/2006, 01:00 PM
The Pac-10 already has a rule stating that the student section or band cannot be on the same side of the field as the visiting team...all we are doing is making our conference a little wussier!

OUstud
7/26/2006, 01:05 PM
This is so stupid. However, if they do move, move them directly behind the endzone on the north side.The sound would reach much more of the stadium that way.

JohnnyMack
7/26/2006, 01:11 PM
I ****ing hate Weiberg.

Dio
7/26/2006, 01:21 PM
This is so stupid. However, if they do move, move them directly behind the endzone on the north side.The sound would reach much more of the stadium that way.

Only if we (N end zone ticketholders) get to directly swap sections with the band.

Snrfn4ever08
7/26/2006, 01:32 PM
i would love it if they do that. my family's season tickets are in the corner right next to the student section and they suck. you can't see anything. if the band moved over there, we'd probably get to move closer to the fifty. that wouldn't bother me at all

soonerboy_odanorth
7/26/2006, 01:33 PM
My understanding was that it was "directly" behind the benches that was a concern... That is between the 25's and behind the visitors bench. If that is the case then the band should only have to move down one section to be outside the 25. Of course that will re-distribute less well-behaved (presumably) students behind the visitors bench. Sounds good to me.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/26/2006, 02:37 PM
i think has more to do with selling some premium seats than anything else...

Duke o Brewery
7/26/2006, 02:50 PM
The Pride of Oklahoma is the loudest single section in Memorial Stadium, both with and without instruments. Moving them to an endzone would be a disgrace. Not only would they be less audible as a cheering section and as a band, but after paying tuition, competing for membership, and working their a$$es off week in and week out from August to early January they have definately earned the good seats they currently perform from.

PrideTrombone
7/26/2006, 03:00 PM
The Pride of Oklahoma is the loudest single section in Memorial Stadium, both with and without instruments. Moving them to an endzone would be a disgrace. Not only would they be less audible as a cheering section and as a band, but after paying tuition, competing for membership, and working their a$$es off week in and week out from August to early January they have definately earned the good seats they currently perform from.

Actually, acoustically, they'd be audible to more people in the stadium from an end zone. But like I said, if I was still in the band I wouldn't want to give up those seats either.

mrowl
7/26/2006, 03:18 PM
if they were in the N. end zone, EVERYONE could hear the Pride. Right now, the south half of the stadium can't.

I am all for the move.

Jello Biafra
7/26/2006, 03:54 PM
i realize you guys work your azzes off to stay in school to practice perform and what not but if no other reason in the world, the band needs to move to one of the endzones so we (owen feild) doesn't look like the largest collection of white people on the planet. you can't count on both feet and hands how many people around you are clapping off beat, chanting waaaaaay too late etc......

if you are not watching visual cues, you're waaaay out of wack. i've said for years, nearly every game that we are the whitest fan base in the world lol....
please, pride, help us gain back some cool points :)

Sooner-N-KS
7/26/2006, 04:30 PM
i think has more to do with selling some premium seats than anything else...

If that were the case the move would be made by the schools, not the conference.

Duke o Brewery
7/26/2006, 05:00 PM
if they were in the N. end zone, EVERYONE could hear the Pride. Right now, the south half of the stadium can't.

I am all for the move.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. The Pride, at least with the current staff of directors, is not loud enough to be heard by the southern half of the stadium regardless of wether it plays from it's traditional location OR from the north endzone seats. Currently the band's sound rebounds off the west stands. From the north endzone that rebound will be diminished, thus making the Pride even less audible.

PrideTrombone
7/26/2006, 05:04 PM
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. The Pride, at least with the current staff of directors, is not loud enough to be heard by the southern half of the stadium regardless of wether it plays from it's traditional location OR from the north endzone seats. Currently the band's sound rebounds off the west stands. From the north endzone that rebound will be diminished, thus making the Pride even less audible.

So sit in the South endzone. ;) I guarantee you Joe C is plotting which endzone seats to put you in right now.

SoonerDood
7/26/2006, 05:09 PM
wow it took a whole page to get the first "Britt Bash" in. Looks like I owe someone a buck.

Duke o Brewery
7/26/2006, 05:13 PM
:rolleyes:

On a side note, I hear that the head director from Jenks is the newest member of the staff of The Pride. I've worked with him before. The man has a tendency to be a major harda$$ so I expect that the performance level of the band will make a noticeable jump.

mrowl
7/26/2006, 05:18 PM

here is a hint... the leadership is not going to change for awhile. And I haven't been able to hear the pride since 2000. I don't know how long the Pride has been in the current spot, but it was a bad idea from the start.

And the arguement that the pride "deserves" those seats? come on, you get FREE season tickets! you are lucky to be in the stadium.

PrideTrombone
7/26/2006, 05:21 PM
I don't know how long the Pride has been in the current spot, but it was a bad idea from the start.

They've been there at least since the early 1980s... the band office has a picture from 1981 of the band forming the OU on the field, and the same section is empty since the band was... you know... on the field.

I'm not sure how much the sound actually reverberates, Duke. The reverb is very noticable after the games when the stands are mostly empty, but when they're full, all the fat people and their clothing (except for the svelte Jello Biafra) tend to absorb the sound put out anyway.

Jello Biafra
7/26/2006, 05:27 PM
all the fat people and their clothing tend to absorb the sound put out anyway.

WTF did he call me?

if i wasn't chewing on a rib sandwich....i'd throw a figure four on yo azz....

PrideTrombone
7/26/2006, 05:29 PM
Hey, when I'm able to make it to the games, I'm a fat people on the west side of the stadium too. :) But I went ahead and amended my statement.

Jello Biafra
7/26/2006, 05:31 PM
Hey, when I'm able to make it to the games, I'm a fat people on the west side of the stadium too. :) But I went ahead and amended my statement.

roflmao......i live in yukon too...i REALLY didn't want to have to go door to door. :)

Duke o Brewery
7/26/2006, 05:49 PM
you are lucky to be in the stadium.

What a disappointing comment to hear from a Sooner fan. This illustrates that you have no understanding of the amount of sweat and sacrifice, not to mention tuition and fees, that goes into being a member of the Pride. I suppose you feel the same way about the Schooner, the Ruf/Neks, and the cheerleader squads. Perhaps we're all less deserving of being in the stadium than the average ticketholder??

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/26/2006, 05:56 PM
They move them to the NEZ and I'll be sitting atop a tuba.

Oh, wait...

mrowl
7/26/2006, 06:01 PM
What a disappointing comment to hear from a Sooner fan. This illustrates that you have no understanding of the amount of sweat and sacrifice, not to mention tuition and fees, that goes into being a member of the Pride. I suppose you feel the same way about the Schooner, the Ruf/Neks, and the cheerleader squads. Perhaps we're all less deserving of being in the stadium than the average ticketholder??

so you are saying that you are more important than another student who also pays those tuition and fees, and also buys their tickets?

And don't give me the sacrifice stuff, you WANT to be there, if you didn't, you wouldn't be in the pride.

PrideTrombone
7/26/2006, 06:24 PM

Oh, wait...

HI-YO! :eek: :pop:

badger
7/26/2006, 07:57 PM
oh dear...

hey look, ROY WILLIAMS!
http://www.dallasnews.com/img/photo/09-04/2001williams_ap.jpg

Zing
7/26/2006, 08:31 PM

My hero!

i realize you guys work your azzes off to stay in school to practice perform and what not but if no other reason in the world, the band needs to move to one of the endzones so we (owen feild) doesn't look like the largest collection of white people on the planet.

Why don't you get yourself a tan and earn yourself some cool points? It's not our job to make you look good (which, I'm guessing, is beyond the scope of even Stoops' talents), it's our job to support the team.

And the arguement that the pride "deserves" those seats? come on, you get FREE season tickets! you are lucky to be in the stadium.

We work over 20 hours a week without pay to be in this organization. You give us even minimum wage for that and stack on our tuition and band fees, and we buy several student tickets EACH WEEK. Given that we work harder than the students to get there, cheer all the time - the student section gives it their all maybe, what, 35% of the game? They're gone after the 3rd quarter. - and sacrifice time that any student in their right mind would spend studying, I'd say that we, above everybody else, deserves those seats. So unless you feel like working a job, going to school (and maintaining the band's average 3.57 gpa), and being in the band at the same time, shut up.

so you are saying that you are more important than another student who also pays those tuition and fees, and also buys their tickets?

And don't give me the sacrifice stuff, you WANT to be there, if you didn't, you wouldn't be in the pride.

Yes, we are more important than those students. We make more noise for longer and work harder for those tickets than anyone else in that stadium. Also, whether or not we want to be there doesn't mean it's any less of a sacrifice - you look at any other pursuits people might like to do: missionary work, military service; sure, they like doing them, but it's still a sacrifice.

So long as you're going to play the "deserve" card, please tell us why other people "deserve" those seats more than the Pride does. Really, go on. I'm all ears.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/26/2006, 08:34 PM
Actually, acoustically, they'd be audible to more people in the stadium from an end zone. But like I said, if I was still in the band I wouldn't want to give up those seats either.

Actually, acoustically, if what's his face would have the Pride concentrate more on power than being "musical" nobody would ever have a problem hearing them.

... I so long for the days of the '87 "industrial strength" Pride...

That band shook the ground when they played.

Last few years' versions...feh. For instance: Pride got their hineys wiped by aTm's Corp last year, and it wasn't even close. I don't like being able to hear the other school's band more clearly than I hear OUrs. Especially when I sit directly across from OUrs.

I know...I know... the Pride was more "musical".

(Sorry PT, I know you've got nothing to do with it... just venting my opinion...)

MamaMia
7/26/2006, 08:41 PM
I ****ing hate Weiberg.I have nothing nice to say about Tranghese either. He was another decision maker that did so much damage.

OklahomaTuba
7/26/2006, 08:42 PM

Oh, wait...

Lets not worry about they. ;)

OklahomaTuba
7/26/2006, 08:45 PM
... I so long for the days of the '87 "industrial strength" Pride...

I'd be happy if I could hear them while sitting in the stadium during a football game, like it used to be.

So much for the good ol days. I say move their asses outta the stadium, the way the pride is going these days we might as well just play Boomer Sooner from a CD over the PA system.

mrowl
7/26/2006, 08:45 PM
So long as you're going to play the "deserve" card, please tell us why other people "deserve" those seats more than the Pride does. Really, go on. I'm all ears.

lets see here...

free entrance to every home game.

(some) free entrance and transportation to away games.

(some) free entrance and transportation to Bowl games, including games that some of us season ticket holders have to pay $150 face value.

and you are bitching becuase you may be moved over a few sections? A few sections that would benefit all of the crowd?

and if the Pride sounded the way that the Pride should, I wouldn't care if you stayed right where you are at.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/26/2006, 08:49 PM
Yes, we are more important than those students. We make more noise for longer and work harder for those tickets than anyone else in that stadium.

That, I agree with...Switzer didn't give a game ball to the student section.. he gave it to the Pride.

Also, whether or not we want to be there doesn't mean it's any less of a sacrifice - you look at any other pursuits people might like to do: missionary work, military service; sure, they like doing them, but it's still a sacrifice..

Horse hockey... comparing band practice, whether it's 20 hours a week or not, to any of those other endeavors is pure *bleep* there you "warrior" you. (Paging Kellen Winslow, Jr....)

You do get a big fat payoff including the trip to Big D and the bowl games, rather than having a sick starving child throw up on you for the 50th time that day, or chewing on sand for a week only to have somebody shoot bullets at your head as payment.

Playing and performing music can be demanding of your time. But it ain't a service of any kind, honcho. You sound like you're not having fun anymore. Step back for a second, it's supposed to be fun. If it's not, quit.

The fat cat donors "deserve" those seats more than the Pride does. You should feel fortunate that they wouldn't find the game as enjoyable if you weren't perfoming for them.

OklahomaTuba
7/26/2006, 08:50 PM
lets see here...

free entrance to every home game.

(some) free entrance and transportation to away games.

(some) free entrance and transportation to Bowl games, including games that some of us season ticket holders have to pay $150 face value.

Don't forget the free hotels and meal allowences at games like the 2000 Orange Bowl, where we also got a free visit to Disney World and some keepsakes.

Also got plenty of good keepsakes that I swiped from some visiting football teams. :D

PrideTrombone
7/26/2006, 08:57 PM
We work over 20 hours a week without pay to be in this organization. You give us even minimum wage for that and stack on our tuition and band fees, and we buy several student tickets EACH WEEK. Given that we work harder than the students to get there, cheer all the time - the student section gives it their all maybe, what, 35% of the game? They're gone after the 3rd quarter. - and sacrifice time that any student in their right mind would spend studying, I'd say that we, above everybody else, deserves those seats. So unless you feel like working a job, going to school (and maintaining the band's average 3.57 gpa), and being in the band at the same time, shut up.

Yes, we are more important than those students. We make more noise for longer and work harder for those tickets than anyone else in that stadium. Also, whether or not we want to be there doesn't mean it's any less of a sacrifice - you look at any other pursuits people might like to do: missionary work, military service; sure, they like doing them, but it's still a sacrifice.

I was IN the band, and you're reaching. You have to admit, all the free travel can certainly add up in a hurry, and is the one of, if not the main reason people join the band. If you only got to go to home games, then I'd see your point. But the university plunks down a few hundred thousand dollars anytime the Pride goes somewhere, and THAT'S where all your extra hours go.

And please, please, please don't use missionary work or military service as an analogy for being in band. (odanorth had it right with the Winslow Jr. page.) There's a minimum of crap you put up with for some pretty decent rewards, nothing like either of those two groups. I'd say being a musician is more like being in minor league baseball... there's some crap to put up with, and it's not as lucrative as some other options, but at the end of the day, you're doing something that you enjoy and getting paid for it.

Zing
7/27/2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah, I reached, but it was more to make a point. 10 hours of rehearsal, and the rest depends on how far away the games are, and what you count as 'work.' Waking up at 5 AM to get to rehearsal pre-11AM gamedays was a pain last year, eh? Driving up to Nebraska seemed to take forever. As did driving to San Diego and Miami. Not really working time, but still nonproductive wearymaking travel.

Also, I didn't claim that what we were doing was on the level of those other people, but here's what I was saying: How much we like it doesn't make our time sacrifice less valid, just like how much they like what they do doesn't devalue theirs.

I'm just glad to be stirring up conversation. :D

*Edit* Also, I've contacted the music dept. and there's no official ruling as of yet. Essentially, nothing's being changed (except the duration of half-time) and I am placated.

I am honestly curious, though, what's the difference between the old "Industrial Strength" pride and the new? Different instrumentation? The organization has grown, so it can't really be numbers. We're still playing "Boomer Sooner" just about 3 out of every 4 songs, so it probably isn't the music, either. Honestly, I might chalk it up to a smaller stadium, or the inherently "superior" quality of bygone days of 25 years ago. Behold, the power of nostalgia.

Duke o Brewery
7/27/2006, 02:09 AM
Regardless of who is "reaching" through overly zealous comments, the complete lack of appreciation being shown toward the students and alumni of The Pride by some posters in this thread is simply astounding. I'm not talking about those who think the current directors aren't living up to standards of past OU bands, because I'm included in that group. The people I'm talking about are the ones who could care less about Sooner football traditions, crowd noise and homefield advantage and who simply want to have seats closer to the 50. I take solace in the fact that those of you who seem to think so little of Oklahoma's 102 year old marching band are simply a bitchy minority.

mellopride
7/27/2006, 03:48 AM
That's a load of Crap. You want to take tradition and mess with it? I for one was in Pride last year and plan on doing it again. Its amazing. Really great seats becuase I work and pay my as* off to be in that stadium with some of you. Pride isn't FREE. And we certainly weren't given alot of money on our 31 BUS ride to SD! $50 dollars for the whole trip. You complain becuase we get to go to the A&M and OSU games this year. Then write OU and complain because we get 300 tickets that possible you could have at 150 dollars. You may be right, Pride isn't as loud as it use to be, but it certainly doesn't sound like sh*t coming out over there. Also... the off clapping is cause by the time it takes for the sound to reach you, so even putting the pride in the nez would worsen the effects. Its like someone shooting a gun or lightening, you can see it in a flash, but it takes awhile to get there... think about it.. the closer you are... the more you will be on beat.. Laws of Phyics... You guys make me sad to even be in the Pride the way you take about it. Also, 5am practices do such while most of you get to sleep in. You get to enjoy your free day at Owen field while we have a schedule to keep. ERR!

PrideTrombone
7/27/2006, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I reached, but it was more to make a point. 10 hours of rehearsal, and the rest depends on how far away the games are, and what you count as 'work.' Waking up at 5 AM to get to rehearsal pre-11AM gamedays was a pain last year, eh? Driving up to Nebraska seemed to take forever. As did driving to San Diego and Miami. Not really working time, but still nonproductive wearymaking travel.

I know the gameday schedules, although my last year was 2003 so I didn't have to deal with all those 11 am kickoffs last year except to roll out of bed and crack open a beer. Sure, the bus rides aren't much fun, especially when some clarinets sneak up to the front of the bus and put "Center Stage" in the DVD player when no one's looking. But it's all part of the experience. Otherwise, what would you talk about with old Pride members who had to do much of the same thing? :)

Also, I didn't claim that what we were doing was on the level of those other people, but here's what I was saying: How much we like it doesn't make our time sacrifice less valid, just like how much they like what they do doesn't devalue theirs.

I'm just glad to be stirring up conversation. :D

That's true, and I liked the whole band thing well enough that I made a career out of it. But you know what you're getting into when you sign up. I'm working a whole lot of extra hours (especially in the fall for marching band) for a stipend that works out to less than minimum wage, but I'm cool with it. I wouldn't be doing anything else. My guess is that's how the majority of the Pride is too. Otherwise the band would be smaller.

*Edit* Also, I've contacted the music dept. and there's no official ruling as of yet. Essentially, nothing's being changed (except the duration of half-time) and I am placated.

Yeah. Most of this discussion is moot anyway, since they may or may not move you this year, and definitely will have to in 2007. Stupid Big 12. What they ought to do is make a rule that the low brass has to sit closer to the visiting team in order for all the heckling to reach their ears. Putting the flutes up there is not maximizing their resources. :D

I am honestly curious, though, what's the difference between the old "Industrial Strength" pride and the new? Different instrumentation? The organization has grown, so it can't really be numbers. We're still playing "Boomer Sooner" just about 3 out of every 4 songs, so it probably isn't the music, either. Honestly, I might chalk it up to a smaller stadium, or the inherently "superior" quality of bygone days of 25 years ago. Behold, the power of nostalgia.

There are a lot of old threads about that topic that I don't feel like revisiting. You can search for them on here.

That's a load of Crap. You want to take tradition and mess with it? I for one was in Pride last year and plan on doing it again. Its amazing. Really great seats becuase I work and pay my as* off to be in that stadium with some of you. Pride isn't FREE. And we certainly weren't given alot of money on our 31 BUS ride to SD! $50 dollars for the whole trip.

You know, as a Pride alum, it really embarasses me when we're having a somewhat rational discussion (except maybe mrowl) about the Pride and then a Pride member comes on here and makes an *** out of themselves (and by extension, the rest of the band) by being all defensive and snippy when the rest of us are just talking.

Yes, you got $50 for the trip to San Diego, but I'm willing to bet that the rest of your meals were provided, and that you didn't pay bus fare or hotel costs. Yes, you get to go to OSU and A&M, and I'm glad you do, because I have no desire to go back to either of those places, and the team could use some friendly voices helping them out. Better you visiting the sheep-humper Aggy schools than me.

But why take yourself so seriously? We know you guys work hard, and the acoustical merits of end zone vs. 35 yard line can be debated, but it's not like you're doing something you don't like to do. Think about it. You're playing music, and you get some perks for it. Pride, in fact, can basically be free if you enroll in it for 0 credit hours, except for the time you put in. Yes, the time commitment is substantial, but keep in mind you've got it better than a lot of schools in terms of where you sit and where you get to go. Baylor's never even sent a pep band up to Norman. Alabama's band had way worse seats than anything Joe C might move you to (corner of the stadium, top of the lower deck). Florida State sits right behind a goalpost. Michigan's band sits ON THE FIELD even though they have a 107,000 seat stadium. It could be worse.

CincySooner
7/27/2006, 09:20 AM
meh... bottom line...

The Pride does more with their seats than any other fans would. Leave them there, move them around, I'm not there anymore so I dont care.

But as a 6-year alum, I do take exception to the statement that we dont 'deserve' our seats. The University got their money's worth out of me for sure, and then some.

I feel no guilt for reaping the benefits. Neither should any other member.

Paperclip
7/27/2006, 09:36 AM
I feel no guilt for reaping the benefits. Neither should any other member.

Fair enough, but attitudes like mello's that being in The Pride is akin to some kind of martyrdom are laughable.

Taxman71
7/27/2006, 09:39 AM
Call me crazy, but does it matter where the band sits as long as it is not in the upper deck? If they were in the south endzone (i.e. the cheap seats), would they not be just as loud to more of the stadium? I seem to hear them fine from the endzone in the Cotton Bowl.

TheUnnamedSooner
7/27/2006, 09:39 AM
the band office has a picture from 1981 of the band forming the OU on the field, and the same section is empty since the band was... you know... on the field.

Or maybe that section of people decided to go to O'Connell's?

soonerboy_odanorth
7/27/2006, 10:00 AM
You may be right, Pride isn't as loud as it use to be, but it certainly doesn't sound like sh*t coming out over there.

So what are you saying here?... the '87 Pride that was recognized as the best in the land was louder (much, btw) but they sounded like poopy???

No... they sounded fantastic. One does not have to be mutually exclusive of the other.

And for all the crap you guys have heaped on the aTm band for not being as "musical" (sidebar: I always loved that one... as if those kids or those from any other band don't do the best they can to sound decent), last year I was embarrassed for you. They certainly "out-marched" you... and maybe that's a given with them... but worse was they sounded as good if not better. If it were a "Drum Line" sort of thing, you guys got your butts whipped. You can adamantly disagree, but I was not alone in that assessment.

Maybe that's the problem, and I'm asking, maybe you guys don't see it as a competition anymore? Used to be that the Pride was highly competitive. And the fans fed off that, I assure you. Just as much as we wanted the football team to dominate, we wanted and expected the Pride to dominate in the same fashion.

I'll tell you a little story... In 1981 against Iowa State, it was a fairly miserable day- drizzling off and on all day and cool. And it was post-tough loss to an epic 1 v. 2 matchup with USC, and pre-Texas week. A true sandwich or trap game. The team looked positively morose on the field and the final score showed it - a miserable 7-7 tie, which led the ISU folks to party like it was the Super Bowl. (That's how big the disparity was back then... a tie felt like a win for them, and a huge loss for us.)

Now somehow or other word had gotten out about this fabulous band that ISU was bringing down. I think what they were touting was the largest trombone section in the land. And they sounded great. And they did indeed highlight their trombones with a closing piece where they had them lay on their backs and play. And again they sounded great... got a standing ovation for their performance. And as they were getting off the field the murmurs were, "Geez I hope our band plays well, they're going to have to to BEAT those guys". And low and behold they did. What I remember is they put on an amazing marching performance, better than ISU's, and sounded powerful and fantastic. The end result was we all had PRIDE over the performance. After the game it was, "What a crappy game, but the bands were awesome, especially the Pride!"

And my point is... Nobody says that about you guys anymore. Maybe you don't care. But we do. And we're the ones driving the donations bus. Keep that in mind.

Hey ZING...

Nostalgia? I suppose there can be some truth to that. But sure seems like a lot of people have that same "diminished Pride" opinion. (Including Prid alumns.)

I can't do it, but maybe you can. Research the instrumentation. My suspicion would be more brass, or at least a bigger ratio of brass, was represented in 87. A 300 piece band does not necessarily put out more volume than a 277 piece band when the extra 23 instruments are flutes and clarinets.

But I also do think it has to do with the arrangements. They are different than back in '87, correct? Maybe the arrangements are overwraught... more complex than they need to be for producing the fat sound. Melody and counter melody with and big fat bass tones and rockin' drum beats. That's really about all you need. Seems I hear a lot more than that going on these days. But I could be dead wrong...

And just one more thing it seems to me is not being done. That is "punching" out the notes. The tones are clear and in tune, but they don't seem to be coming out on each note with that initial "pop". Make sense?

Anyway... one more thing... We do love you guys, and we do know you work hard, and we do appreciate it. (Our bee-hatching probably amounts to a whole lot of nit-picking in the end.)

PrideTrombone
7/27/2006, 10:06 AM
But I also do think it has to do with the arrangements. They are different than back in '87, correct? Maybe the arrangements are overwraught... more complex than they need to be for producing the fat sound. Melody and counter melody with and big fat bass tones and rockin' drum beats. That's really about all you need. Seems I hear a lot more than that going on these days. But I could be dead wrong...

The same guy who did the arrangements in '87 does them now, so I don't think there's a difference there. If anything, it sounds to me like the arrangements are a bit simpler than they used to be, but not less effective. I do some arranging, so I'll act like I know what I'm talking about there.

And just one more thing it seems to me is not being done. That is "punching" out the notes. The tones are clear and in tune, but they don't seem to be coming out on each note with that initial "pop". Make sense?

You just gave the non-musician version of what we call "articulation." Keeping people from sneaking into notes and instead making the sound happen immediately is one of the hardest things I had to do as a section leader in the Pride. The thing is, everyone in a section has to do it, or you're gonna hear the one or two people who don't. As a band teacher, I always love when people pick up on little stuff like that which makes a huge difference. Thanks for making my day, odanorth. :D

soonerboy_odanorth
7/27/2006, 10:17 AM
The same guy who did the arrangements in '87 does them now, so I don't think there's a difference there. If anything, it sounds to me like the arrangements are a bit simpler than they used to be, but not less effective. I do some arranging, so I'll act like I know what I'm talking about there.

You just gave the non-musician version of what we call "articulation." Keeping people from sneaking into notes and instead making the sound happen immediately is one of the hardest things I had to do as a section leader in the Pride. The thing is, everyone in a section has to do it, or you're gonna hear the one or two people who don't. As a band teacher, I always love when people pick up on little stuff like that which makes a huge difference. Thanks for making my day, odanorth. :D

"Articulation"... gah! I was digging through my memory banks for the word and just couldn't get it to come up. (I do have a musical background... here... I'll prove it: EGBDF-FACE-GBDFA-ACEG... and I knows lots a more stuff-n-stuff, too ;) )

Glad to hear you've made a career in the field. I was not aware of that. Not enough of us old trombone players out there getting it done anymore....

(Edit: And yeah... funny how it is the "little stuff" that always makes a difference in just about any endeavor.)

PrideTrombone
7/27/2006, 10:21 AM
"Articulation"... gah! I was digging through my memory banks for the word and just couldn't get it to come up. (I do have a musical background... here... I'll prove it: EGBDF-FACE-GBDFA-ACEG... and I knows lots a more stuff-n-stuff, too ;) )

Glad to hear you've made a career in the field. I was not aware of that. Not enough of us old trombone players out there getting it done anymore....

(Edit: And yeah... funny how it is the "little stuff" that always makes a difference in just about any endeavor.)

Heh, thought I remembered that you were an alum, but wasn't sure. It's cool, I had people in my section that didn't know what "articulation" was. :)

OUstud
7/27/2006, 11:17 AM
Honestly though, if you're a D-1 athlete or coach and a marching band behind your bench bothers you that much, maybe football isn't for you.

mellopride
7/27/2006, 12:01 PM
So, we're talking about PRIDE being a competition now? A&M's band was certainly good and marching very well for their style, but that's just the point. They march a totally different style. That's like comparing OU to Grambling State. Tradional compared to show band and military style. YOu just can't. People may really love show bands, but what if its a great school like Marion Catholic who marches some of the best shows ever. You think they feel anyless proud when they finish like a show band does? I'll admit at 4 am, I was being a ******. But you can't have to understand that most people are not there for the PRIDE execpt for the good few. I'll admit that we have it better where we sit than most other college bands do, even OSU
(Sheep) have to sit in the endzone now. But that's what makes OU different. We're better. We have some of the most louded fans and most spirited student section in the country. (Don't count TCU) A problem I have with overall effect of loudness is that its not written into our music. No sustained notes that carry. That's why I love Drum Corps. Amazing music and they hit some power cords to leave you trembling.

PrideTuba
7/27/2006, 12:03 PM
Honestly though, if you're a D-1 athlete or coach and a marching band behind your bench bothers you that much, maybe football isn't for you.

I think the exact same thing.

A problem I have with overall effect of loudness is that its not written into our music. No sustained notes that carry. That's why I love Drum Corps. Amazing music and they hit some power cords to leave you trembling.

The problem with the overall loudness is not because its not written into the music, its because the performers dont play loud. Its that simple, play loud get loud. In 04 there were plenty of times we could have played loud, but did we? No. Why? Because the directors dont like it. Oh, and Grambling State is awesome.

I think it doesnt matter where you move the band, put them anywhere in that stadium you want, including the field. When you find a place for them, then you will either hear them as much as you do now, less, or not at all. Until the directors figure out that the Pride sounds bad and cant play any louder than a high school band, moving them in the stadium wont help. You can thank the directors for everything thats wrong with the Pride (im waiting for some Pride kids to tell me how brian britt is amazing, etc.)

Yea it sucks the Pride will have to be moved, but if its like somebody said earlier. They might only have to move 1 section over, and thats not too bad. I was in Pride too, not as long as most people here, but I was in it. Yes you do work hard, yes you do have to take long bus trips, yes you do only get paid $50 for a free trip to San Diego, Miami, New Orleans, etc. Man that must really be difficult if all your are getting is $50 to live in a hotel for 4 nights and go to a free bowl game. Some of my best memories are from the bus trips to dallas and new orleans. Yea it sucks we were on a bus for 30+ hours, but I wouldnt give that 30 hours back, not for anything. So keep complaining about how rough it is Pride members, because in reality, it aint that hard to be in Pride.

I may sound like I dont like the Pride, but I do, I dont like the directors at all.

mellopride
7/27/2006, 12:24 PM
Lol, seriously guys, if you don't like it becuase we don't play loud. Call up Boren and tell him about it. Call Wakefield and tell him that Brian isn't doing the job he's being payed for. I'm not complaining that we $50 dollars for 3-4 days in some nice city, just trying to have the non-alumis to know what we get. But the one thing I seriously don't like is that most of the PRIDE alumi in the past 15 years just talk sh*t about how PRIDE is being "run" today. These stories are starting to sound like what fathers would talk about at a high school football game and how they won districts back in the day. Yeah, Grambling State is awesome, but they are a show band unlike OU period.

Taxman71
7/27/2006, 01:08 PM
Instead of moving the band, can't the home team just put up a big soundproof curtain behind the bench?

Sincerely,
Mack Brown

PrideTuba
7/27/2006, 01:38 PM
Lol, seriously guys, if you don't like it becuase we don't play loud. Call up Boren and tell him about it. Call Wakefield and tell him that Brian isn't doing the job he's being payed for. I'm not complaining that we $50 dollars for 3-4 days in some nice city, just trying to have the non-alumis to know what we get. But the one thing I seriously don't like is that most of the PRIDE alumi in the past 15 years just talk sh*t about how PRIDE is being "run" today. These stories are starting to sound like what fathers would talk about at a high school football game and how they won districts back in the day. Yeah, Grambling State is awesome, but they are a show band unlike OU period.

Believe me, its been done in the past and what has happened? The Pride continues to get worse. Boren knows the Pride isnt as good as it used to be and he knows other things about brian britt. Wakefield doesn't run the Pride so he cant really do much, and brian britt is too stubborn to listen to anybody but himself and his minions (the GA's). I dont like how people talk sh*t about the Pride either, it doesnt make me feel good, but I understand wher they come from and I share most of their feelings. The fact is, nothing is happening to change the minds of the people talking and until that happens, the talking will continue.

mrowl
7/27/2006, 02:34 PM
Let me say that I still love the pride. I was just stating that where you sit right now doesn't work for the whole stadium.

Wouldn't you want EVERYONE to enjoy your "hard work" and "sacrifice"???

And if you care that much about the Pride, you would do what TONS of users here have done, is tell Boren, and the Pride leadership that your sound sucks.

tru2ou
7/27/2006, 03:22 PM
Does the pride have flute players? I'm intrigued by a story I heard about band camp.

I love it when band members get ****ed. Nothing better.

- Tru

OklahomaTuba
7/27/2006, 03:44 PM
But the one thing I seriously don't like is that most of the PRIDE alumi in the past 15 years just talk sh*t about how PRIDE is being "run" today. These stories are starting to sound like what fathers would talk about at a high school football game and how they won districts back in the day.

Hmm, maybe there is a reason for this???? :rolleyes:

It pains me to even have to type this, but the band is worthless @ football games if they won't play music that the crowd likes and if they don't have the power to be heard over the cheerleaders.

If thats the way its gonna be for the pride, than bust out a CD and we all win.

soonerboy_odanorth
7/27/2006, 04:58 PM
Heh, thought I remembered that you were an alum, but wasn't sure. It's cool, I had people in my section that didn't know what "articulation" was. :)

Not an alumn... But I played trombone for years... and piano... some drums... and I like to play with guitar (though I can't say I play it... heh!)

soonerboy_odanorth
7/27/2006, 05:11 PM

On topic...hammer meet nail head...

What kind of a wimpasaurus rex coach complains about the band....

:mack:

soonerboy_odanorth
7/27/2006, 05:11 PM

On topic...hammer meet nail head...

What kind of a wimpasaurus rex coach complains about the band?....

:mack:

(Oh wait, nevermind...)

TheUnnamedSooner
7/27/2006, 05:15 PM
alumni band vs current band = brawl of the century. Kinda reminds me of mascots fighting

soonerboy_odanorth
7/27/2006, 05:36 PM
So, we're talking about PRIDE being a competition now?

Uh... yeah. It is a competition. Just because you are not competing doesn't mean others don't expect you to compete. Your attitude is symptomatic of the problem. Sorry to preach a bit, but when you get out of school and get the first big job... believe me your bosses and peers will expect you to compete.

A&M's band was certainly good and marching very well for their style, but that's just the point. They march a totally different style. That's like comparing OU to Grambling State. Tradional compared to show band and military style. YOu just can't.

Yes... yes you can. Different styles do not mean you aren't in the same competition. That's like saying you can't compare the quality of a blues performance to a big band performance to a fusion jazz performance.

I'll admit at 4 am, I was being a ******.

You stopped?

But you can't have to understand that most people are not there for the PRIDE execpt for the good few.

I think you are grossly underestimating the importance that everyone in that stadium places on the Pride.

We're better.

OU in general, yes. But that's the problem when the discussion turns to the Pride these days.... the organization is average instead of great.

Jello Biafra
7/27/2006, 05:58 PM
Why don't you get yourself a tan and earn yourself some cool points? It's not our job to make you look good (which, I'm guessing, is beyond the scope of even Stoops' talents), it's our job to support the team.

first off, foo.... i don't need a tan and i don't need anyone to get me cool points personally. i have insta cool points in the fact that ive never picked up an instrument and im cooler than you EVER thought you could be. i play the skin flute. thats all i need.

you, on the other hand, think all the azz whippins you took in high school for being a band geek somehow makes you the king of the ****ters when it comes to the place you get to sit in the stadium?

what i said was a f*ggin joke. chill. trust me, you don't want some.

Jello Biafra
7/27/2006, 06:00 PM
OU in general, yes. But that's the problem when the discussion turns to the Pride these days.... the organization is average instead of great.

no doubt. I go to watch the football team. it just so happens the band happens to be there. i would still go to the games if they play wall to wall rap......

Jello Biafra
7/27/2006, 06:08 PM

as a WAR veteran, i can tell you, this is one of the more assinine statements i have ever seen on the internet from a "educated" person. are you REALLY comparing the band to military...missionary etc? people die in those particular pursuits you tardling....outside of the large and in charge tuba player sitting on the triangle player, when was the last time you saw a fatality at a football game?

because other PAY for those tickets and can beat you up......

PrideTuba
7/27/2006, 06:13 PM
alumni band vs current band = brawl of the century. Kinda reminds me of mascots fighting

Ill join the alumni, they'll slaughter the Pride of today.

Yes, thats it. Until brian britt is gone, the Pride will continue to be average.

because other PAY for those tickets and can beat you up......

The Pride used to have to buy their tickets every year, and this was pretty recently too. Im not sure what year the athletic department gave them tickets, but I know its relatively recent.

as a WAR veteran...

this is a little off the subject, but thanks for your service.

recruiter
7/27/2006, 06:15 PM
That idiot Weiberg needs to devote his time to two other things:

Finding his balls.

And recruiting and retaining competent football officials.

Until then, freeze off, jackass.

Jello Biafra
7/27/2006, 06:29 PM
Ill join the alumni, they'll slaughter the Pride of today.

Yes, thats it. Until brian britt is gone, the Pride will continue to be average.

The Pride used to have to buy their tickets every year, and this was pretty recently too. Im not sure what year the athletic department gave them tickets, but I know its relatively recent.

this is a little off the subject, but thanks for your service.

i appreciate it but i wasn't saying to toot my horn. i was attempting to show pinger that comparing miltary service and the like was not even in the same ball park.

the other comment about beating him up....twas a yoke :)

jdsmith
7/27/2006, 06:37 PM
CDs work for major leauge baseball and football. why can't it work for OU? Screw the Pride and their wimpy sounds, let's spend the money and seat profits on something worth while.

PrideTuba
7/27/2006, 08:08 PM
i appreciate it but i wasn't saying to toot my horn. i was attempting to show pinger that comparing miltary service and the like was not even in the same ball park.

the other comment about beating him up....twas a yoke :)

Yea I understand youre not fishing for compliments, but I think its important to thank anybody that served. Yea military and pride have no comparison whatsoever, except that they both wear uniforms.

badger
7/27/2006, 08:10 PM
http://oneyearbible.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/cover_eyes.jpg

swardboy
7/27/2006, 08:42 PM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7332/clownbandhj7.jpg
I hear these guys are looking for a gig.....:pop:

Jello Biafra
7/27/2006, 09:41 PM
Yea I understand youre not fishing for compliments, but I think its important to thank anybody that served. Yea military and pride have no comparison whatsoever, except that they both wear uniforms.

cool. love the avatar. the misfits are one of my faves as well......

GottaHavePride
7/27/2006, 10:11 PM
This thread is funny and sad at the same time.

And you know what's awesome? That I can - for the rest of my life - get out the 2001 Pride CD and say "You hear that trombone player on Malaguena? Yeah, that's me."

hurricane'bone
7/27/2006, 10:25 PM
This thread is funny and sad at the same time.

And you know what's awesome? That I can - for the rest of my life - get out the 2001 Pride CD and say "You hear that trombone player on Malaguena? Yeah, that's me."

Yes...this thread makes me very sad in my pants.

Duke o Brewery
7/27/2006, 10:48 PM
The Pride has a new assistant director this year - Jeff Jahnke from Jenks HS. From personal experience I can say that he's going to work them until they puke and then work them some more. He's sparing in his compliments, but he gets results. There will probably be a lot of moaning and whining from the young'uns about his demanding methods.

We'll see this season how his old school "Coach Thrailkill" style meshes with Brian Britt's Pride.

PrideTuba
7/28/2006, 02:59 AM
The Pride has a new assistant director this year - Jeff Jahnke from Jenks HS. From personal experience I can say that he's going to work them until they puke and then work them some more. He's sparing in his compliments, but he gets results. There will probably be a lot of moaning and whining from the young'uns about his demanding methods.

We'll see this season how his old school "Coach Thrailkill" style meshes with Brian Britt's Pride.

Yea, that will be interesting. IMHO, I think he will try and do things like Coach, but Brian will put an end to it. We will see though, I could be completely wrong.

cool. love the avatar. the misfits are one of my faves as well......

Thanks, one of the first punk bands I ever really got into were the Misfits and they just stuck with me.

OUTrumpet
7/28/2006, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if it was Mack who complained. He complained that the band couldn't say anything to the team as they went by or make hand gestures or anything, and if you did you were removed from the stadium...he also got the big black curtain that surrounds the tunnel so the OU fans around the tunnel can't see the team coming out.

And yes, I agree with the volume of the Pride. After not being a member for 2 years and then being a member again - well, I remember people playing balls out BOOMat the Rose Bowl and then meh at stuff this year like "we don't care". Just an attitude thing I guess. And when people play louder -mostly underclassmen, they stick out. So instead of the section leaders saying "We should all play louder" it seemed to be "Upperclassmen, quiet down". Just an observation - and yes I've talked to Mr. Britt about it.

Sooner_Havok
7/28/2006, 12:39 PM
I am against moving the band, but since it is going to happen anyway, move the students up right to the field. If the Big XII thinks that moving the band will quite things down behind the bench, we will show them otherwise. I know that those of us students that get to the stadium early enough to get those seats would also be the ones who yell all game and sit down only at half time.

Besides the fat cat "donors" wouldn't want those seats anyway. They would have to fight the student section to get in and out of the game, there are no fold down chairs, there is no private concession stands and separate restrooms for them, no air conditioned boxes, and there is full sun for most of the game. Plus, would we want to have the section of people who barely cheer and never stand up right behind the opposing team?

PrideTuba
7/28/2006, 01:11 PM
If they put the student section right behind the team things could get interesting. It would be great too, students heckling the other team the entire game.

Taxman71
7/28/2006, 01:33 PM
Who knew the band had their own version of *****berger and Blake running things?

Jello Biafra
7/28/2006, 04:11 PM
well this whole thread has been entertaining and educational at the same time. all joking aside, here are the facts as most fans see them.

the opposing band plays non stop and loud like a mother fugger...sometimes i just wanna walk over and choke the dog out of them because i can't hear the announcements, the pride, the guy standing next to me, nothin

our band plays limited material. not enough drum line. period. when you think about or see or hear college football on tv, more times than not, there is a very distinctive sound and it is usually the drummy thingies...... we very rarely showcase the drums and it makes me want to go to the other side of the stadium and choke the fugg out of the opposing band....just sayin

you guys are waaaaay to nice to our guests..... ive heard times where the pride starts up and the opposing band starts within seconds and the pride will shut down. sometimes i just want to go to the other side of the stadium, grab the skinniest cheerleader that team owns and beat the conductor/instructor/old dude with said cheerleader and tell them to pipe down or they will be pushing their equipment bus out of town.

i love the pride but the most impressive bands i have seen in person was at notre dame. they sat in the corner of the stadium. they were loud. i could hear them outside as loud as if i were standing in front of them. they had more chants, they interacted with the students, heckled the hell out of our guys in the end zones and it was genuinely a good time. our band? same side, opposite corner rarely heard them the entire game. i realize it was at notre dame but hell, i think our stadium should be just as hostile......

just my opinion.

PrideTuba
7/28/2006, 04:52 PM
Well brian britt wont let the band say the word "sucks". He also got into somebodys face and threatened to send them home if they held up 5 fingers, signifying that we beat texas 5 years in a row. I think that is funny because the year before, the 5th victory year, there was a newspaper article and it showed a picture of a few pride members holding up 5 fingers while texas players walked up the tunnel after the game. He must have though the article was hilarious, especially since it was pinned up in a glass case with pictures in the hallway leading up to the band room. Sounds a little discriminatory to me.

I also agree with the limited material, this year they atleast had more than 2 songs. I am definitely tired of hearing st. elmos fire every other down, and I think they might have played respect once or twice this year. Ive seen Notre Dame too, and if the Pride could even be half as good as that, then it would be a complete turn around from what it is now. Doesnt Notre Dame play numa numa?

jackietreehorn
7/28/2006, 04:58 PM
Only if we (N end zone ticketholders) get to directly swap sections with the band.

i was going to say the same thing. see ya there.

Jello Biafra
7/28/2006, 04:58 PM
Well brian britt wont let the band say the word "sucks". He also got into somebodys face and threatened to send them home if they held up 5 fingers, signifying that we beat texas 5 years in a row. I think that is funny because the year before, the 5th victory year, there was a newspaper article and it showed a picture of a few pride members holding up 5 fingers while texas players walked up the tunnel after the game. He must have though the article was hilarious, especially since it was pinned up in a glass case with pictures in the hallway leading up to the band room. Sounds a little discriminatory to me.

I also agree with the limited material, this year they atleast had more than 2 songs. I am definitely tired of hearing st. elmos fire every other down, and I think they might have played respect once or twice this year. Ive seen Notre Dame too, and if the Pride could even be half as good as that, then it would be a complete turn around from what it is now. Doesnt Notre Dame play numa numa?

rofl i wouldn't know numa numa from number number :)

sounds like britt is a butt cracker......

Taxman71
7/28/2006, 05:37 PM
This Britt guy sounds like he should be wearing knee high boots and guard Lassie's grave in Collie Station.

PrideTuba
7/28/2006, 05:40 PM
This Britt guy sounds like he should be wearing knee high boots and guard Lassie's grave in Collie Station.

Haha, thats exactly right.

Jimminy Crimson
7/28/2006, 05:53 PM
This Britt guy sounds like he should be hanging with Lance Bass.

NTTAWWT! :twinkies:

SoonerDood
7/28/2006, 06:16 PM
how's that Civil War going Pride Tuba? is halftime over yet?

PrideTuba
7/28/2006, 06:33 PM
how's that Civil War going Pride Tuba? is halftime over yet?

If what you mean by Civil War is me vs. the Pride, then its going good. As far as halftime, the second quarter isnt over yet.

PrideTrombone
7/28/2006, 08:32 PM
i love the pride but the most impressive bands i have seen in person was at notre dame. they sat in the corner of the stadium. they were loud. i could hear them outside as loud as if i were standing in front of them. they had more chants, they interacted with the students, heckled the hell out of our guys in the end zones and it was genuinely a good time. our band? same side, opposite corner rarely heard them the entire game. i realize it was at notre dame but hell, i think our stadium should be just as hostile......
just my opinion.

I saw Notre Dame and Ohio State's bands in person while out at last year's Fiesta Bowl. They're both freaking awful. Ohio State's performance in relation to the hype they get reminds me of Ricky Williams' NFL career. The following would be much better examples:

LSU
Michigan
Georgia (In fact, most SEC schools are way better at the fan interaction thing than we are)
Texas (yes, Texas. I don't like saying it, but it's true)

PrideTrombone
7/28/2006, 08:33 PM
you guys are waaaaay to nice to our guests..... ive heard times where the pride starts up and the opposing band starts within seconds and the pride will shut down. sometimes i just want to go to the other side of the stadium, grab the skinniest cheerleader that team owns and beat the conductor/instructor/old dude with said cheerleader and tell them to pipe down or they will be pushing their equipment bus out of town.

Word.

hurricane'bone
7/28/2006, 10:02 PM
I saw Notre Dame and Ohio State's bands in person while out at last year's Fiesta Bowl. They're both freaking awful. Ohio State's performance in relation to the hype they get reminds me of Ricky Williams' NFL career. The following would be much better examples:

LSU
Michigan
Georgia (In fact, most SEC schools are way better at the fan interaction thing than we are)
Texas (yes, Texas. I don't like saying it, but it's true)

LSU was awesome. I thought Bama was over-hyped, WSU was [bill walton]just AWFUL[/bill walton], texas is good playing wise, and I still wish that Ohio State truck driver had just run over the ND band.