PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of year!

Okla-homey
7/26/2006, 06:48 AM
Who among us remembers happy childhood evenings riding your bike with all your peeps behind the 'skeeter truck as it spewed poisonous fog in your neighborhood? Good times!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2020/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzcx9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
The view from my bike

Note: We had never heard of a bike helmet back then either.

Newbomb Turk
7/26/2006, 06:55 AM
You must have had a big bike.

and yes - I do remember that. definitely good times.

Harry Beanbag
7/26/2006, 06:57 AM
Ah, the good ol' days.

AlbqSooner
7/26/2006, 07:07 AM
Following that slow moving fogger up the hill from Honor Heights park as Mom made us roll up the windows in an unairconditioned '57 Dodge station wagon in August heat. Oh yeah, the memories.

BajaOklahoma
7/26/2006, 07:13 AM
I don't remember the fogger.
But bike helmets were around in the mid 60s - probably not any good though. My second grade boyfriend's little sister hit the curb while riding her bike - flipped over the handlebars and cracked her head on the sidewalk. My first experience with quadraplegia, brain damage and eventually, death of a child. That's when bike helmets became popular at our school - had to get them at a bike shop.

Hamhock
7/26/2006, 08:13 AM
But bike helmets were around in the mid 60s - probably not any good though. My second grade boyfriend's little sister hit the curb while riding her bike - flipped over the handlebars and cracked her head on the sidewalk. My first experience with quadraplegia, brain damage and eventually, death of a child. That's when bike helmets became popular at our school - had to get them at a bike shop.

way to fag up a childhood memory thread

;)

yermom
7/26/2006, 08:49 AM

sometimes i wonder how i survived childhood...

picasso
7/26/2006, 08:53 AM
I've seen those foggers hooked up to lawn mowers before. I kid not.

BoomerJack
7/26/2006, 08:57 AM
When I was growing up in Tulsa in the '50's and early '60's I seem to remember that the trucks would go around about midnight to maybe 3 AM. I don't ever remember them in the late PM or early evening.

Hamhock
7/26/2006, 08:57 AM
sometimes i wonder how i survived childhood...

I agree.

And to think that our trampoline had zero padding anywhere. Bloody, pinched skin from the springs was a daily fact of life. But we did do our best not to aim for the spikey things coming from the chain link fence when we were drop-kicking people off the trampoline.

IB4OU2
7/26/2006, 08:59 AM
Nothing like getting a good hit of DDT to clear your head.....

Mjcpr
7/26/2006, 09:00 AM
I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life and I have never seen one of those things on the road before. I never even heard of them until the last few years when I saw them on the news.

I think you people must've lived in the Soylent Green times or something.

IB4OU2
7/26/2006, 09:08 AM
I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life and I have never seen one of those things on the road before. I never even heard of them until the last few years when I saw them on the news.

Well, I lived on Willow Lane in Norman as a young kid and every few weeks in the summer they would send a fogger down the street to kill the skeeters.

Maybe your part of Okla. wasn't as chemically advanced back then or maybe you weren't around yet....

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/26/2006, 09:11 AM
I've lived in Oklahoma my entire life and I have never seen one of those things on the road before.

That's understandable, Pat.

It prolly just looks like clouds to you.

Good morning!

Viking Kitten
7/26/2006, 09:25 AM

It's PEOPLE!!!!1

Mjcpr
7/26/2006, 09:48 AM
That's understandable, Pat.

It prolly just looks like clouds to you.

Good morning!
It ain't nothin' for me to cut a bitch

http://badgas.co.uk/griffnut/knife.jpg

Hamhock
7/26/2006, 09:48 AM
It ain't nothin' for me to cut a bitch

http://badgas.co.uk/griffnut/knife.jpg

is that really you?

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/26/2006, 09:49 AM
Oh sweet jebus in a pair of gauchos and Crocs...

Mjcpr
7/26/2006, 09:49 AM
is that really you?

Yes. You can see now that having this many posts was quite a lot of work.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/26/2006, 09:50 AM
I can now also see why you're so sessitive about your golf game.

:mack:

Viking Kitten
7/26/2006, 09:56 AM
I can now also see why you're so sessitive about your golf game.

:mack:

Bet nobody ever asks him what his handicap is.

Sooner_Bob
7/26/2006, 09:59 AM

ZANG!!!

Mjcpr
7/26/2006, 10:00 AM

Y'all c'mere and gimme a big hug.

IB4OU2
7/26/2006, 10:02 AM

I get that question alot and I always have a list ready.....:D ;)

btw, VK and Czars Avi's make me really, really miss my girls when they were little.... she's a beautiful kid!

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/26/2006, 10:02 AM
Y'all c'mere and gimme a big hug.

Lemme see you balance this ball on your nose first...

Mjcpr
7/26/2006, 10:06 AM
Lemme see you balance this ball on your nose first...

I was just about to ask you the same thing!!

:D

Mjcpr
7/26/2006, 10:07 AM
btw, VK and Czars Avi's make me really, really miss my girls when they were little.... she's a beautiful kid!

My question is why they like that one more than the other(s).

Fugue
7/26/2006, 10:07 AM

wow, limit.

:pop:

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/26/2006, 10:08 AM

Don't worry. Maybe the other one will 'grow in'...

Viking Kitten
7/26/2006, 10:09 AM

Aw thanks! She is also very sweet, funny and smart as hell. She turned four on Sunday, and I just couldn't have asked for a more perfect little girl. :)

Fugue
7/26/2006, 10:10 AM

:pop:

Viking Kitten
7/26/2006, 10:12 AM

You'll see enough of the boy's pic in 12 years when he's OU's true freshman starting QB.

Mjcpr
7/26/2006, 10:13 AM
You'll see enough of the boy's pic in 12 years when he's OU's true freshman starting QB.

So he likes beer and the Hornets?

Fugue
7/26/2006, 10:13 AM

I thought he was gonna be the next Zidane?

IB4OU2
7/26/2006, 10:14 AM
Aw thanks! She is also very sweet, funny and smart as hell. She turned four on Sunday, and I just couldn't have asked for a more perfect little girl. :)

Enjoy her, they grow up so fast......

I just learned yesterday my oldest is engaged, they plan on getting married after she gets back from NYC in late December....

Scott D
7/26/2006, 10:19 AM
Enjoy her, they grow up so fast......

I just learned yesterday my oldest is engaged, they plan on getting married after she gets back from NYC in late December....

clearly she isn't marrying colley.

Viking Kitten
7/26/2006, 10:23 AM
I thought he was gonna be the next Zidane?

Well he's great at soccer too, but he had his first football practice last night and it's patently obvious he will be the star of his team this year.

Fugue
7/26/2006, 10:26 AM
Well he's great at soccer too, but he had his first football practice last night and it's patently obvious he will be the star of his team this year or he'll never be my avi.

sheesh

Viking Kitten
7/26/2006, 10:36 AM
Heh.

You have to earn Mommy's love, boy.

NormanPride
7/26/2006, 10:46 AM
The idea of VK/Czar spawn still scares the ever-living **** out of me.

;) Does she like shoes as much as you?

SoonerInKCMO
7/26/2006, 10:50 AM
Well he's great at soccer too, but he had his first football practice last night and it's patently obvious he will be the star of his team this year.

Star of his 6 year-old team? Is his name Stanley?

Viking Kitten
7/26/2006, 10:53 AM
The idea of VK/Czar spawn still scares the ever-living **** out of me.

;) Does she like shoes as much as you?

OMG. You have no idea.

On her second birthday, among the item she received were, 1) a play stroller, 2) a baby doll, and 3) a set of 12 pairs of high-heeled dress up shoes. She wheeled the doll around in the stroller for a while, then she opened up the shoes. She promptly dumped the baby out of the stroller, put all the shoes in it, and started wheeling them around while singing them lullabyes.

Here's a pic.

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/6097/sophie2ndbirthday0561it4.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/26/2006, 10:56 AM
*gets teary-eyed...*

yermom
7/26/2006, 11:13 AM
wow.

Viking Kitten
7/26/2006, 11:31 AM
She's just her mama's girl. [sniff]