PDA

View Full Version : It's a sad day at the OKC Zoo

Mrs. Norm
7/25/2006, 09:33 PM
The OKC Zoo lost its oldest orangutan today, Les Tunku. He was 44 years old. He died of heart and kidney failure. Norm, the boy, and I saw him about a month ago. He was in his cage trying to put a t-shirt on. It was the cutest/funniest thing! Rest in peace, Les. :(

BigRedJed
7/25/2006, 09:34 PM
Right turn, Les! RIP.

yermom
7/25/2006, 09:35 PM
at least no one has killed the dolphins recently

Mrs. Norm
7/25/2006, 09:39 PM
at least no one has killed the dolphins recently

I remember them having all kinds of trouble with the dolphins. Apparantly, they know what to do with orangutans. Les came to the OKC zoo in 1962 (when he was born). It seems like they did a good job with him.

BigRedJed
7/25/2006, 09:43 PM
http://kadavys.smugmug.com/photos/51457261-M.jpg

yermom
7/25/2006, 09:43 PM
I remember them having all kinds of trouble with the dolphins. Apparantly, they know what to do with orangutans. Les came to the OKC zoo in 1962 (when he was born). It seems like they did a good job with him.

my old roommate killed dolphins there twice!

he either gave them Streptococcus zooepidemicus, or they gave it to him :eek:

the second time it happened he got really sick at the same they did after going there and petting them, etc...

he was seriously banned from ever returning

sounds like Les Tunku probably died of fairly natural causes, they don't get that much older than that

birddog
7/25/2006, 10:14 PM
how much room did he have there? i can't imagine being in a 30 foot "yard" for 44 years.

critical_phil
7/25/2006, 10:35 PM
looking at the bright side, he doesn't have to hear anyone call him Les anymore.

:les:

Mrs. Norm
7/25/2006, 11:02 PM
how much room did he have there? i can't imagine being in a 30 foot "yard" for 44 years.

I don't know if you've been to the OKC zoo in recent years, but the people really have made it as natural as possible. The gorillas, orangutans, lions, etc.... have more than a yard. It looks like they have a pasture, really. It really is an awesome place.

BigRedJed
7/25/2006, 11:57 PM
The Oklahoma City Zoo, it could be argued, is the source of the renaissance of downtown OKC and Oklahoma City in general. The 1/8 cent dedicated sales tax that passed to fund the zoo in the late eighties not only funded great additions like the Great Escape, it made local leaders understand that OKC's citizens would support a dedicated sales tax to improve the city's infrastructure and quality of life.

If that sales tax hadn't passed, there would have been no MAPS (http://maps.newsok.com/).

Taxman71
7/26/2006, 06:27 AM
I was at the zoo a month or so ago and they are adding some very nice additions in preparation for the centennial.

Okla-homey
7/26/2006, 06:36 AM
So there is a good chance when I went to the zoo in 1968 when I was in 3rd grade, I got to see a young Les? Freaky.

BajaOklahoma
7/26/2006, 07:07 AM
Almost as sad as when Judy died. :(
I remember collecting coins for her.

Sooner_Bob
7/26/2006, 07:16 AM
I remember Les . . . it's been quite a while since I was at the zoo (shame on me), but I do remember him.

We're going to have to take our girls back down there.

Norm In Norman
7/26/2006, 07:42 AM
Yeah, the orangutangs are my favorites, although they were so old (i guess) that they don't do much. I think the other one is like 37 years old or something, so they might not have ANY pretty soon.

Hamhock
7/26/2006, 08:10 AM
are they going to eat him?

Norm In Norman
7/26/2006, 08:33 AM
Yes, they are going to eat them, because that makes sense and is quite comical.

yermom
7/26/2006, 08:35 AM
would you go for red or white wine with Orangutan?

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 08:37 AM
I hate zoos and think that they should be abolished.

RacerX
7/26/2006, 11:41 AM
I disagree.

Flagstaffsooner
7/26/2006, 11:52 AM
Do they still have that hole with a ship thing at the entrance where the monkies always f*****, ah, made other monkies.

C&CDean
7/26/2006, 12:00 PM
I disagree.

With what?

Zoos depress the hell out of me. Seeing a wild animal in the wild is awesome. Seeing one in a zoo is the suck. It's animal prison. I wonder what bad things monkies gotta do to get sent to zoojail?

Norm In Norman
7/26/2006, 01:54 PM
Zoos also preserve wildlife that would be extinct because hillbillies try to kill them out in various ways by basically assuming that this planet is only for humans. Also, you are less likely to care that lions are getting killed if you have never seen one. I'd bet a lot of animals at the zoo are way better off than what their life would have been if they weren't there.

mdklatt
7/26/2006, 01:58 PM
I'd bet a lot of animals at the zoo are way better off than what their life would have been if they weren't there.

You've obviously never seen Madagascar.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/26/2006, 01:59 PM
Do they still have that hole with a ship thing at the entrance where the monkies always f*****, ah, made other monkies.No, the monkeys have a new more lifelike habitat now. There aren't many animals in the OKC Zoo in "cages" anymore either.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/26/2006, 02:00 PM
Zoos also preserve wildlife that would be extinct because hillbillies try to kill them out in various ways by basically assuming that this planet is only for humans. Also, you are less likely to care that lions are getting killed if you have never seen one. I'd bet a lot of animals at the zoo are way better off than what their life would have been if they weren't there.

YEAH!

I ain't never seen no corn machine out in the wild, Dean.

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 02:01 PM

What's the point in preserving wildlife if they are forced to live in a zoo? Preserving their natural habitat is what we should be doing. I bet those animals in zoos are miserable as they can't hunt and run around and fly and other things wildlife does in the wild.

Anyone remember the area where they used to keep lions and tigers? How could a lion be happy in a concrete pit? I know they aren't in the concrete pit anymore but the lions are not able to range the savannahs like they were built to do.

IB4OU2
7/26/2006, 02:05 PM
I like seeing some of those wild animals wrapped up in my freezer......or on the grill.

Norm In Norman
7/26/2006, 02:10 PM
What's the point in preserving wildlife if they are forced to live in a zoo? Preserving their natural habitat is what we should be doing. I bet those animals in zoos are miserable as they can't hunt and run around and fly and other things wildlife does in the wild.

Anyone remember the area where they used to keep lions and tigers? How could a lion be happy in a concrete pit? I know they aren't in the concrete pit anymore but the lions are not able to range the savannahs like they were built to do.
What I'm saying is you are more inclined to give a **** about an animal if you've seen a real one, just like I'm more inclined to not ban someone if i've met them. There is also research going on in the zoo which is for the betterment of everybody including the animals. I can't swear to this, but I'm fairly certain that most animals in the zoos come from means other than the zoo capturing an animal out in the wild. I'd say a jaguar living in the zoo is way better off than a jaguar living in Billy Bob's bathtub.

And you obviously haven't been to the zoo in a long time, because the animals all have fairly large habitats with vegetation and shade. The old zoo was appalling, but things are different now.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/26/2006, 02:14 PM
With what?

Zoos depress the hell out of me. Seeing a wild animal in the wild is awesome. Seeing one in a zoo is the suck. It's animal prison. I wonder what bad things monkies gotta do to get sent to zoojail?

Shooting a wild animal in the wild is even AWESOMER.

Taking the head of a wild animal in the wild and stabbying it to your wall in the living room is the most awESOMESt of ALL! ;)

The ultimate dream, though, would be able to shoot an animal IN THE ZOO and then hang it on my wall.

Oh man, I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/26/2006, 02:15 PM
What I'm saying is you are more inclined to give a **** about an animal if you've seen a real one, just like I'm more inclined to not ban someone if i've met them. There is also research going on in the zoo which is for the betterment of everybody including the animals. I can't swear to this, but I'm fairly certain that most animals in the zoos come from means other than the zoo capturing an animal out in the wild. I'd say a jaguar living in the zoo is way better off than a jaguar living in Billy Bob's bathtub.

And you obviously haven't been to the zoo in a long time, because the animals all have fairly large habitats with vegetation and shade. The old zoo was appalling, but things are different now.

What if you try to meet them but they won't shake your hand? Can you ban them then?

Norm In Norman
7/26/2006, 02:18 PM
Definitely yes. I've never seen a platypus in real life before, so they all may as well die for all I care.

IB4OU2
7/26/2006, 02:19 PM
Shooting a wild animal in the wild is even AWESOMER.

Taking the head of a wild animal in the wild and stabbying it to your wall in the living room is the most awESOMESt of ALL! ;)

The ultimate dream, though, would be able to shoot an animal IN THE ZOO and then hang it on my wall.

Oh man, I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

Cool! Beano really is a man! ;) :eek:

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 02:23 PM

I haven't been to any zoo in over a decade if not longer. I understand the dealio about seeing a live animal and caring more about them than if you have just read about them.

What kind of research are they doing at the zoos nowadays?

I just don't like zoos as I think they are an outdated idea. I'm not on a crusade to shut 'em down, I just don't like them. That's my official stance. Well that and I think you are a poopy head.
;)

OU4LIFE
7/26/2006, 02:26 PM
I like seeing some of those wild animals wrapped up in my freezer......or on the grill.

Lion is kinda stringy.

Tiger, however, is AWESOME.

Mjcpr
7/26/2006, 02:27 PM
Tiger, however, is AWESOME.

I've been trying to tell you this for years.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/26/2006, 02:28 PM
Anyone remember that commercial a long time ago for The Zoo?

'...something tells me it's all happening at The Zoo..I do believe it...I do believe it's true...'

Norm In Norman
7/26/2006, 02:29 PM
I haven't been to any zoo in over a decade if not longer. I understand the dealio about seeing a live animal and caring more about them than if you have just read about them.

What kind of research are they doing at the zoos nowadays?

I just don't like zoos as I think they are an outdated idea. I'm not on a crusade to shut 'em down, I just don't like them. That's my official stance. Well that and I think you are a poopy head.
;)
I dunno what research they do, but there are places in the zoo where the animals can be observed by scientists. There is a large observatory over by the gorillas where us normal folks don't get to go. i figure they proabably use those things.

I think the OKC zoo is a good balance between a good environment for the animals and a good environment for people to look at animals. It's also one of the (maybe the) largest botanical gardens in the US. it's not just concrete and animals any more.

Norm In Norman
7/26/2006, 02:31 PM
Anyone remember that commercial a long time ago for The Zoo?

'...something tells me it's all happening at The Zoo..I do believe it...I do believe it's true...'
Oh yeah. They also had the "Take a walk on the wild side" song. THE SONG IS ABOUT BAD STUFF YOU IDIOTS!

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 02:32 PM
I dunno what research they do, but there are places in the zoo where the animals can be observed by scientists. There is a large observatory over by the gorillas where us normal folks don't get to go. i figure they proabably use those things.

I think the OKC zoo is a good balance between a good environment for the animals and a good environment for people to look at animals. It's also one of the (maybe the) largest botanical gardens in the US. it's not just concrete and animals any more.

Cool. I guess I should go back because I think the last time I was at a zoo they had just opened the Gorilla habitat and thankfully they had the lions and tigers and bears oh my out of the concrete pits and were making them new habitats. I just have those concrete pits in my head when someone mentions a zoo.

Mjcpr
7/26/2006, 02:34 PM
Go to Disney World's Animal Kingdom.....they don't keep their animals in concrete pits so you will be happy.

C&CDean
7/26/2006, 02:35 PM
Well, to be honest, the most appalling thing about zoos is all the little snot-nosed brats running around. Kids suck. And so do their cotton candy buying parents.

Norm In Norman
7/26/2006, 02:36 PM
They still have those, but now they house things that are small. Well, except they temporarily have the grizzlies in one until their new habitat opens next year.

OU4LIFE
7/26/2006, 02:40 PM

http://img.snlarc.jt.org/arc/char/DaCa-Grumpy%20Old%20Man.jpg
I'm old and I'm not happy. Everything today is improved and I don't like it. In my day zoos were just concrete and cages, and WE LIKED IT.

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 02:51 PM
I wonder if Hairy could hit one of those animals with one swing if he took a club and a glof ball to the zoo?

OU4LIFE
7/26/2006, 02:57 PM
If I can make a hole-in-one, sparky. I think beaning a defensless wallabe would be easy.