PDA

View Full Version : the returns

jk the sooner fan
7/25/2006, 07:39 PM
are coming in! (http://www.ok.gov/~elections/06pri.html)

mdklatt
7/25/2006, 07:55 PM
This seems like as good a thread as any to ask this:

How do state senate disctricts work in Oklahoma? Are they based on population? If so, WHY? That's no different than the house districts. If not, why are the district lines so crazy? I guess having one or two senators per county would be too easy.

slickdawg
7/25/2006, 07:57 PM
Brad Henry is putting a DDT move on Andrew Marr.

picasso
7/25/2006, 08:16 PM
(DEM) FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE, DISTRICT NO. 97 10 OF 34
LORENZO ALLEN THOMPSON 20 1.85%
MIKE SHELTON 737 68.18%
CHRISTINE BYRD 95 8.79%
JESSE JACKSON JR. 229 21.18%

:eek:

slickdawg
7/25/2006, 08:52 PM
(DEM) FOR STATE REPRESENTATIVE, DISTRICT NO. 97 10 OF 34
LORENZO ALLEN THOMPSON 20 1.85%
MIKE SHELTON 737 68.18%
CHRISTINE BYRD 95 8.79%
JESSE JACKSON JR. 229 21.18%

:eek:

Is that THE Jesse Jr?

StoopTroup
7/25/2006, 08:52 PM
BRADlock...

http://www.ratchetup.com/eyes/images/padlock.jpg

slickdawg
7/25/2006, 08:56 PM
Slickdawg declares Brad Henry the winner in the Oklahoma Democratic Governor's race.

Not that I know a thing about him or the race. ;)

DEM) FOR GOVERNOR 1616 OF 2249
BRAD HENRY 164,953 85.92%
ANDREW W. MARR, JR. 27,024 14.08%

StoopTroup
7/25/2006, 08:58 PM
Brad is our current Gov.

slickdawg
7/25/2006, 09:00 PM
Brad is our current Gov.

Ahhhhh. Well, it looks like he's going to remain your governor. I don't think
his republican opponet will beat him.

StoopTroup
7/25/2006, 09:02 PM
The Repubs are sandbagging bastiges. ;)

slickdawg
7/25/2006, 09:03 PM
Brad's got more votes in the primary than all of the repubs combined!

KaiserSooner
7/25/2006, 09:15 PM
How do state senate disctricts work in Oklahoma? Are they based on population? If so, WHY? That's no different than the house districts. If not, why are the district lines so crazy? I guess having one or two senators per county would be too easy.

Yeah, they are based on population. Every state with an upper house/senate (and Nebraska is the only one that doesn't have one) bases its respective senate seats on population.

Why is that? Why not?

At one time, Oklahoma and other states did base their legislative districts by county. I don't know the specific law or the specific Supreme Court ruling, but the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the mid-60s that state legislators represented people, not land (that such apportionment was a violation of citizens' civil rights), which effectively requires states to base their districts (both house and senate) by population.

royalfan5
7/25/2006, 09:21 PM
Yeah, they are based on population. Every state with an upper house/senate (and Nebraska is the only one that doesn't have one) bases its respective senate seats on population.

Why is that? Why not?

At one time, Oklahoma and other states did base their legislative districts by county. I don't know the specific law or the specific Supreme Court ruling, but the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the mid-60s that state legislators represented people, not land (that such apportionment was a violation of citizens' civil rights), which effectively requires states to base their districts (both house and senate) by population.
I smile every time I see the unicam mentioned. It allows us to elect far fewer jack***es than the rest of y'all.

mdklatt
7/25/2006, 09:22 PM

What is the point of having two houses then? The rationale of the US senate is that each individual unit of government (a state) gets equal representation. If it's constitutional for the federal government, why not state governments?

:confused:

mdklatt
7/25/2006, 09:40 PM
I didn't see Steve "The Tax Man" Lewis listed anywhere. Good. I hate that bastard.

SicEmBaylor
7/25/2006, 09:42 PM
Every single candidate that I voted for lost.
What a night...

I'm thinking of heading over to the Faught watch party but it's probably too late.

slickdawg
7/25/2006, 09:46 PM
What a night...

I'm thinking of heading over to the Faught watch party but it's probably too late.

Aren't you supposed to be in lockdown by now?

picasso
7/25/2006, 09:51 PM
What a night...

I hear ya. I was 1 for 4.

BigRedJed
7/25/2006, 09:51 PM
Tim Kuykendall isn't even going to make it out of the primary for the Norman DA job. He's a long time incumbent, and he's getting stomped by his own party. WTF?

OhU1
7/25/2006, 09:59 PM
Tim Kuykendall isn't even going to make it out of the primary for the Norman DA job. He's a long time incumbent, and he's getting stomped by his own party. WTF?

The primary is the election. Mashburn is the new D.A! Yes!

The people of Norman spoke clearly - out with Tim! Kuykendall was/is an ineffectual little twerp of a man. He ran off all of the good prosecutors and replaced them with young barbie dolls. Meanwhile pedos run free as he wasn't able to win a conviction in a sex crimes trial in 3 years. Tim can now go back to bagging groceries. :D

JohnnyMack
7/25/2006, 10:24 PM
I was hoping Sullivan would get over on Istook.

Alas it looks like I'll be voting for Brad Henry. Joy.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/25/2006, 10:27 PM
The primary is the election. Mashburn is the new D.A! Yes!

The people of Norman spoke clearly - out with Tim! Kuykendall was/is an ineffectual little twerp of a man. He ran off all of the good prosecutors and replaced them with young barbie dolls. Meanwhile pedos run free as he wasn't able to win a conviction in a sex crimes trial in 3 years. Tim can now go back to bagging groceries. :DSave it for the Kuykendall thread. ;) Seriously though, WTF is up with that? What was Mashburn's campaign strategy?

jk the sooner fan
7/25/2006, 10:28 PM
my candidate goes to the run off in november....she had the most votes, and now has the support of the candidate that lost....which sounds not so great, but he had 27%.....and on top of the 41% my aunt got, i think we'll be ok in November

ChickSoonerFan
7/25/2006, 10:40 PM
my candidate goes to the run off in november....she had the most votes, and now has the support of the candidate that lost....which sounds not so great, but he had 27%.....and on top of the 41% my aunt got, i think we'll be ok in November

Your aunt is running? I missed that? :confused:

Scott D
7/25/2006, 10:42 PM
yeah she convicts perverts...so you might wanna keep ole Stan in Dallas for awhile longer ;)

ChickSoonerFan
7/25/2006, 10:43 PM
Susie Pritchett?

jk the sooner fan
7/25/2006, 10:44 PM
Susie Pritchett?

yep! :)

SicEmBaylor
7/25/2006, 10:46 PM
yep! :)
Congrats!
But the runoff is in August...
The general is in November.

jk the sooner fan
7/25/2006, 10:47 PM
not for judges

SicEmBaylor
7/25/2006, 10:48 PM
not for judges
Ahhh okay.

Scott D
7/25/2006, 10:49 PM
What a night...

notice a trend for you yet? :)