PDA

View Full Version : Pilsner Urquell

royalfan5
7/24/2006, 10:10 PM
So I am trying out some of this beer tonight. I'm not blown away, and I think I will stick to Beck's and Lowenbrau if I am buying a European Lager that is readily available in Lincoln.

GottaHavePride
7/24/2006, 10:41 PM
One of my professors loves the stuff, and goes on about how it was the first pilsner-style beer. Of course, I think he's had it in (the former) Czechoslovakia, where it's brewed, so that may affect his opinion of it.

I thought Lowenbrau was a solid "meh" when I tried it. I think the first thing I said was "Oh, so it's the Coors Light of Germany?" Not bad, but I'd rather have an ale or hefeweizen.

SoonerInKCMO
7/24/2006, 10:48 PM
For the first time tonight, I'm trying Stella Artois in a bottle (I've had it several times on tap) and it's not nearly as good as I was hoping for.

However, the Mac's Blackwatch Cream Porter is better than I expected for a $5.49 beer.

I've had the Pilsner Urquell before... don't remember much about it... must not have made much of an impression.

OhU1
7/25/2006, 12:00 AM
SAB Miller South Africa owns Pilsner Urquel now. I haven't had it in awhile and wouldn't be able to remember what it used to taste like.

All pilsners suffer with age so it's hard to tell drinking one in Oklahoma what it's meant to taste like. Ales are not nearly so fragile and almost always taste great IMO.

Harry Beanbag
7/25/2006, 06:09 AM
I've had Pilsner Urquell twice. Once on tap at a fancy Scottsdale resort and it was one of the best beers I've ever had. Then I bought a six-pack of green bottles at the grocery store and it was horrible. I guess it isn't popular enough to be rotated through quick enough in bottles to stay somewhat fresh.