PDA

View Full Version : Overall Favorite?

soonerguild
7/24/2006, 07:31 PM
From what ive been reading the consensus preseason number 1's are Notre Dame(not a chance), Ohio State and OU. I know that Athlon's, Gold Sheet, and Phil Steele have us ranked number 1 and I was just wondering if anyone had figured out who the "concensus" number 1 team is from all the publications or at least who has the most # 1

BOOMER SOONER

AlbqSooner
7/24/2006, 07:39 PM
If I understand the term "consensus" correctly, there is no consensus.

Snrfn4ever08
7/24/2006, 09:22 PM
If I understand the term "consensus" correctly, there is no consensus.
i agree:D

MiccoMacey
7/24/2006, 10:06 PM
From what ive been reading the consensus preseason number 1's are Notre Dame(not a chance), Ohio State and OU. I know that Athlon's, Gold Sheet, and Phil Steele have us ranked number 1 and I was just wondering if anyone had figured out who the "concensus" number 1 team is from all the publications or at least who has the most # 1

BOOMER SOONER

2006 Pre-Season Polls Pre-Season Ranking

ATHLON LINDY’S STEELE’S SPORTING NEWS

#1 Oklahoma Notre Dame Oklahoma Notre Dame
#2 Notre Dame Ohio State Auburn Ohio State
#3 USC West Virginia Louisville Auburn
#4 Ohio State Texas USC LSU
#5 Florida Florida Texas West Virginia

S & S THE KICKOFF ESPN.com SI.com
#1 Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State
#2 West Virginia Oklahoma Oklahoma Texas
#3 Texas Notre Dame West Virginia Notre Dame
#4 Notre Dame USC Texas West Virginia
#5 Florida Auburn Florida State LSU

That gives tOSU four #1 votes, OU and Notre Dame two apiece.

sooner94
7/24/2006, 10:27 PM
As much as I hate to say it, I don't think we deserve the #1 ranking. Too many areas that need to improve from last year. While there was a lot of improvement towards the end of last season, there are still some question marks.

We have absolutely seen improvement in the secondary, and it sounds like the O linemen have been working their tails off. Too many shoulds and ifs to call us #1. But the finish to last year's season shows a lot of potential, and the win over a top 10 team gives us momentum.

By process of elimination:

ND- Defense wins championships and ND doesn't have it, especially in the secondary. Plus, their schedule is too difficult, especially with USC on the road.

USC- Replacing Leinart and Bush, plus a questionable D, will result in a couple of losses.

Auburn- Too many expectations for a team that chokes when expectations are high. Plus, their big loss in the bowl game sends them in the wrong direction.

WVU/Louisville- They have a chance based on the Big East being the worst BCS conference by far, but both of these teams will drop at least a game. WVU was under the radar last year, and won't be as a highly ranked team.

Texas- Let's talk in 2040. Maybe they can even roll out a VY clone by then.

Ohio St- Even though they are replacing 9 starters on D, including a great linebacker group, I think they have to be the odds on fave. The offense can carry them while the D develops. The game in Austin should be a great defensive battle.

My top 5:

1. Ohio St
2. OU
3. ND
4. Texas
5. Auburn

AD wins the Heisman.

goingoneight
7/24/2006, 10:35 PM
Domers lose a title game to the Bucks again, OU takes maybe an AP title (not that AP matters) I can deal with that...

GottaHavePride
7/24/2006, 11:03 PM
2006 Pre-Season Polls Pre-Season Ranking

ATHLON LINDY’S STEELE’S SPORTING NEWS

#1 Oklahoma Notre Dame Oklahoma Notre Dame
#2 Notre Dame Ohio State Auburn Ohio State
#3 USC West Virginia Louisville Auburn
#4 Ohio State Texas USC LSU
#5 Florida Florida Texas West Virginia

S & S THE KICKOFF ESPN.com SI.com
#1 Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State
#2 West Virginia Oklahoma Oklahoma Texas
#3 Texas Notre Dame West Virginia Notre Dame
#4 Notre Dame USC Texas West Virginia
#5 Florida Auburn Florida State LSU

That gives tOSU four #1 votes, OU and Notre Dame two apiece.

I like that only four of the nine have us in the top five at all. Similarly, ESPN and Steele's don't have ND in their top 5. Also, Athlon and Steele's don't have Ohio State in the top 5 at all. So basically what I'm pointing out is that there's no one team that everyone agrees is really good.

MiccoMacey
7/25/2006, 02:41 AM
There just isn't a clear cut favorite this year.

I think a lot of people are discounting ND too quickly, and most are doing so only because they hate ND.

To say they don't have a defense is ridiculous as they have nine coming back on defense, including the entire two-deep in the secondary that ranked #42 in pass defense according to PS.

I don't care who you are, a team returning nine starters from the previous year that went 9-3 is going to be better.

I do agree that they have a tough schedule this year, but they'll be competitive in each and every game. Michigan will be their toughest game, but it's at home. Navy and USC are on the road, but neither should be as good as ND.

Snrfn4ever08
7/25/2006, 01:56 PM
i think the only consensus is that there is no consensus

sooner94
7/25/2006, 02:15 PM
Who cares if ND is returning 9 starters on D? They don't have enough speed or talent on D to compete with the USC's and Ohio State caliber teams, which you have to do to win it all.

I think their talent level has a lot of room for improvement since they have had some lean recruiting years prior to Weis coming in. Maybe they will start some of the young guys.

Why did ND grow the grass about a foot tall against USC last year? Lack of speed.

And did you see how Ohio State's O ran circles around them? Hard to fix that in one year.