PDA

View Full Version : I believe that self-checkout will be remebered as a great innovation

royalfan5
7/24/2006, 03:11 PM
Short lines and not dealing with cashiers is great. It's about time the cashier was rendered superflous.

SoonerInKCMO
7/24/2006, 03:15 PM
I always get stuck behind the nimrods that can't figure out the scanner. :mad:

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 03:15 PM
my biggest gripe with albertson's is that if I run in before work to grab something in the morning (we meet there to carpool) they have ONE lane open and EVERY self checkout closed. SUCKS. And I always get behind some person getting a week's worth of groceries, and I have one freakin item. I want to http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

sooner n houston
7/24/2006, 03:17 PM
But what about all the lost jobs! Think about the children who will starve because you don't want to pay someone to scan your groceries for you!!! You cold, heartless capitalist!!! :D

jk the sooner fan
7/24/2006, 03:21 PM
I always get stuck behind the nimrods that can't figure out the scanner. :mad:

heh, you and me both.......it can be very entertaining at times

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 03:22 PM
my biggest gripe with albertson's is that if I run in before work to grab something in the morning (we meet there to carpool) they have ONE lane open and EVERY self checkout closed. SUCKS. And I always get behind some person getting a week's worth of groceries, and I have one freakin item. I want to http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon15.gif

When I used to be a saturday morning checker, I had people come in like you. Sometimes, they would just get two of whatever they were buying, leave one with me and a whole dollar amount just over the price. I didn't really care.

Okla-homey
7/24/2006, 03:23 PM

If you were shopping at Wal-mart, you could just walk out with it if its under $25.00.

royalfan5
7/24/2006, 03:24 PM
But what about all the lost jobs! Think about the children who will starve because you don't want to pay someone to scan your groceries for you!!! You cold, heartless capitalist!!! :D
If you are trying to support a family off a Wal-Mart cashier's pay, your probably already pretty far up a creek.

etouffee
7/24/2006, 03:28 PM
The tardz are ruining self checkout around here. Used to be that if you only had a few items, you could skip the long cashier lines and breeze thru self-checkout in under a minute. Now we get eeeediots with buggies full of 200 items, half of which are produce that needs to be both properly identified and then weighed, in the freakin self-checkout lines. And on top of that, they lack the mental capacity to use the thing, so they have to call an attendant for help at least 3 or 4 times. These buttwipes are ruining a good thing for people.

Boomer.....
7/24/2006, 03:30 PM
It's ok 'cept for the constant: "put the item back in the bag"

I hate when it says that. It is in the damn bag!

etouffee
7/24/2006, 03:34 PM
I hate when it says that. It is in the damn bag!Item removed from bagging area. Please replace item.

or

Unknown item in bagging area. Please wait for attendant.

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 03:34 PM
or "unidentified item. please remove item from bag and blah blah blah".

I learned NOT to use a paper bag though, it's a little heavier than a plastic one and throws the thing ALL OFF.

etouffee
7/24/2006, 03:40 PM
When I used to be a saturday morning checker, I had people come in like you. Sometimes, they would just get two of whatever they were buying, leave one with me and a whole dollar amount just over the price. I didn't really care.

:confused:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/bushtit/threadbombs/whatyouspeakof9wc6bo.jpg

Pricetag
7/24/2006, 04:01 PM
:confused:

The customer leaves one of said items with you plus cash in excess of the total price of said item, and takes the other item with him or her. After the huge basket has been checked out, the cashier scans the item, and the store (theoretically) keeps the change. The item is then replaced on the shelf.

Hatfield
7/24/2006, 04:01 PM
Short lines and not dealing with cashiers is great. It's about time the cashier was rendered superflous.

self-checkout is the devil. have you tried buying beer??

Pricetag
7/24/2006, 04:02 PM
The tardz are ruining self checkout around here. Used to be that if you only had a few items, you could skip the long cashier lines and breeze thru self-checkout in under a minute. Now we get eeeediots with buggies full of 200 items, half of which are produce that needs to be both properly identified and then weighed, in the freakin self-checkout lines. And on top of that, they lack the mental capacity to use the thing, so they have to call an attendant for help at least 3 or 4 times. These buttwipes are ruining a good thing for people.
Yes. I would change the title of this thread to "a failed experiment" for all the reasons you've just mentioned.

1stTimeCaller
7/24/2006, 04:02 PM

it's probably as difficult to do as buying Rain-X windshield warsher fluid is.

I noticed that you didn't say anything about bacon. Why do you hate bacon?

royalfan5
7/24/2006, 04:03 PM
No through self-checkout. I live near a wonderful little liquor store, and go there instead buying my beer at the same time as groceries.

Hatfield
7/24/2006, 04:05 PM
it's probably as difficult to do as buying Rain-X windshield warsher fluid is.

I noticed that you didn't say anything about bacon. Why do you hate bacon?

for the same reason you like bacon...PIG KILLER.

and why do you have more love for bacon than petunias?

jeremy885
7/24/2006, 04:05 PM

Maybe you should buy your one item at a convience store or bring it from home instead of using a full service grocery store.

Just a thought.

jk the sooner fan
7/24/2006, 04:09 PM
who pays convenience store prices?

no thanks, i'll save that money by going to a grocery store and stand in line

jeremy885
7/24/2006, 04:13 PM
and bitch at people, while you wait in line, because they are using a grocery store like they're suppose too?

jk the sooner fan
7/24/2006, 04:16 PM
i didnt read where she bitched at anybody....just that it frustrated her to be behind somebody with more items than her

1stTimeCaller
7/24/2006, 04:18 PM
i didnt read where she bitched at anybody....just that it frustrated her to be behind somebody with more items than her

then she could not be frustrated and go to a convience store where folks generally are there to buy one or two items.

jeremy885
7/24/2006, 04:18 PM
When is she not bitch about something in her posts?

;)

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 04:19 PM
I eat a banana for breakfast, nearly every day. When I run out mid-week, I will go in albertson's to get a couple before work. I have to stand there for 10 minutes waiting in line because there's only one checker and the self check-out is CLOSED. THAT'S my gripe. Wasn't it put in for people like me that just have one or two things. WELL KEEP IT OPEN!

jk the sooner fan
7/24/2006, 04:20 PM
then she could not be frustrated and go to a convience store where folks generally are there to buy one or two items.

i'd rather wait in the grocery store than behind some "person" at the convenience store trying to figure out which scratch off lotto ticket he wants....

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 04:20 PM
and I'm NOT gonna buy bananas at a convenience store. NO WAY.

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 04:21 PM
i'd rather wait in the grocery store than behind some "person" at the convenience store trying to figure out which scratch off lotto ticket he wants....

Dude, that's tough. There's a whole bunch of differnet one's to **** your money away on. It's important to get a bright and shiny one.

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 04:21 PM
I can very honestly say I don't have a ****ing clue what you people are talking about. If you're a man, and you've got a woman, WTF are you doing at the grocery store? So while you're shopping for groceries, where's momma? At home mowing the lawn? Fixing the truck?

Y'all are ****ing up America. And if I ever did go to a grocery store, I want a real person to help me check out. I'm already paying for the damn groceries, why should I have to ring them up and bag them up myself?

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 04:22 PM
and I'm NOT gonna buy bananas at a convenience store. NO WAY.

IF you eat one every day, why not buy enoug hto get youthrough week when you go to the store?

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 04:22 PM
cause they go bad in less than a week!

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 04:24 PM
if you're gonna go to the trouble of putting in all those fancy self checkout stands, then open them when the store opens. that's all I'm axing for.

etouffee
7/24/2006, 04:27 PM
Maybe you should buy your one item at a convience store or bring it from home instead of using a full service grocery store.

Just a thought.Maybe everyone doesn't have a convenience store a "convenient" distance from their home. Maybe a full service grocery store is much closer. Just a thought.

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 04:27 PM
yeah, since I park/drive from there EVERY MORNING

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 04:30 PM
if you're gonna go to the trouble of putting in all those fancy self checkout stands, then open them when the store opens. that's all I'm axing for.

Exactly. What's the point of keeping them closed?

That makes as much sense as the ATM's in Tokyo that are only open during business hours. :confused:

jeremy885
7/24/2006, 04:34 PM
Maybe everyone doesn't have a convenience store a "convenient" distance from their home. Maybe a full service grocery store is much closer. Just a thought.

:rolleyes:

Unless you live right next door to a grocery store, 99.9% of the time a convenience store will easier to get to then a grocery store in OK.

Now in LA that may not be the case due to how ****ed up your state is. Just a thought though.

jeremy885
7/24/2006, 04:35 PM
Exactly. What's the point of keeping them closed?

That makes as much sense as the ATM's in Tokyo that are only open during business hours. :confused:

It does take someone who has an IQ above a normal checker to run them.

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 04:36 PM
On my journey from my house to Albertson's, I pass one store, and that is a 7-11. I will stop in there and get a diet coke on some mornings, and if they had bananas, I wouldn't buy them.

And I tried using the "Albertson's express" one the other day for some juice, but they didn't have what I wanted. Ended up going in and waiting in line instead.

etouffee
7/24/2006, 04:43 PM
Unless you live right next door to a grocery store, 99.9% of the time a convenience store will easier to get to then the grocery store in OK.So you're saying 99.9% of the people in OK live in communities just like yours with convenience stores right around every corner, huh? Interesting. I would've thought there a larger number of people in rural areas where there aren't a lot of convenience stores. I also figured there might be some really upscale areas where there aren't many convenience stores, and, as a result of low rates and the recent new construction boom, maybe some newly developing suburban communities that have grocery stores but not a lot of convenience stores. But who knows, maybe OK is different than everywhere else, and EVERYONE has convenience stores nearby, and these convenience stores have all the items you can find in a full service grocery store. Guess that's cool, as long as people are willing to pay convenience store prices.

GottaHavePride
7/24/2006, 04:50 PM
cause they go bad in less than a week!

Then why not plan ahead and pick up more bananas one the way home from work the night before?

Or, buy a whole lot of bananas, take them home, cut them up and freeze them in a plast ic bag, and make a smoothie in the morning. Bananas dopn't go bad in the freezer. (Although they still turn brown unless you put some lime juice in the bag too.)

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2006, 05:00 PM
I totally disagree with you. When I got into a store I damned well expect to be served. What the hell is this, am I going to have to start bringing my own bags too? What a load. Give me a damned checker and somone to simultaneously bag would be nice tool.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2006, 05:01 PM
And convience stores jack the price way the hell up. It may be more convenient if you're in a pinch, but it sure as hell isn't cheaper.

etouffee
7/24/2006, 05:05 PM
I totally disagree with you. When I got into a store I damned well expect to be served. What the hell is this, am I going to have to start bringing my own bags too? What a load. Give me a damned checker and somone to simultaneously bag would be nice tool.guess you don't pump gas either, huh?:rolleyes:

Pricetag
7/24/2006, 05:07 PM
And convience stores jack the price way the hell up. It may be more convenient if you're in a pinch, but it sure as hell isn't cheaper.
Except for beer. Grocery stores charge more for beer.

OUinFLA
7/24/2006, 05:08 PM
If you're a man, and you've got a woman, WTF are you doing at the grocery store?

but.............what about 1tc? all the women he has are gone by morning, or are no-shows.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2006, 05:08 PM
guess you don't pump gas either, huh?:rolleyes:
Not if I didn't have to, but that's considerably more unavoidable than a self-checkout at the grocery store or wal-mart.

I mean obviously if I have no other alternative but to do it myself then I do it myself. :D

etouffee
7/24/2006, 05:14 PM
Not if I didn't have to, but that's considerably more unavoidable than a self-checkout at the grocery store or wal-mart.
So what you're saying is that you'd rather wait 15 minutes to have a real person check you out than ring it up & bag it yourself in 1 minute, just so you're not doing any actual work since you paid for it, or something like that?

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 05:15 PM
Baylor students/grads don't pump gas. How insulting.

;)

royalfan5
7/24/2006, 05:16 PM
I totally disagree with you. When I got into a store I damned well expect to be served. What the hell is this, am I going to have to start bringing my own bags too? What a load. Give me a damned checker and somone to simultaneously bag would be nice tool.
How can your parents be aggies, and you be so enarmored with have other folks do stuff for you? Do they not breed independence and self-reliance into the Aggies down there?

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2006, 05:16 PM
So what you're saying is that you'd rather wait 15 minutes to have a real person check you out than ring it up & bag it yourself in 1 minute, just so you're not doing any actual work since you paid for it, or something like that?

Now you're getting it! :D

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2006, 05:18 PM
How can your parents be aggies, and you be so enarmored with have other folks do stuff for you? Do they not breed independence and self-reliance into the Aggies down there?

They're OSU Ags not TexAgs.
If they were TexAgs then I'd have put myself up for adoption long long ago...

And self-reliant? Sure. But not self-reliant to the point of being crazy about it. I guess when I buy some apples then I should have been self-reliant enough to grow them myself! :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 05:18 PM
I love self-checkout. One time I ended up behind a gal who was buying fresh ears of corn. She was taking each ear out of the bag and typing in the number then putting it back in the bag, which messed up the weight. I had to switch lines.

OUinFLA
7/24/2006, 05:20 PM
I mean obviously if I have no other alternative but to do it myself then I do it myself. :D

You mean like.........your sex life?

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 05:20 PM
And self-reliant? Sure. But not self-reliant to the point of knowing how to change a flat tire.

:D :pop:

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2006, 05:24 PM
:D :pop:
But, I was self-reliant enough to sit there and figure out how to do it myself (which I did) instead of calling someone!

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 05:26 PM
But, I was self-reliant enough to sit there and figure out how to do it myself

All except for what to do with the flat tire. ;)

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2006, 05:32 PM
All except for what to do with the flat tire. ;)
Touche.

StoopTroup
7/24/2006, 05:56 PM
I just wish I could get my Debit Card implanted into my wrist.

It's such a drag having to reach into my wallet for it. ;)

tulsaoilerfan
7/24/2006, 06:03 PM
Try bitching to the management; that might get it done

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2006, 07:12 PM
You can't pump your own gas in New Jersey or NYC (in most places).

Or Oregon from what I understand.

Oldnslo
7/24/2006, 08:17 PM
If y'all remember, you once upon a time got a price break for self-serve gas. Then, people pretty much only went to self-service stations. That's why finding a full-service station these days is like finding hens' teeth.

I ain't getting a price break for self-check out. It's all about mo' profit fo' da' man. So, I'm sticking it to the man!

I didn't want to work in a grocery store when they were paying me; I'm damn sure not going to work there so I can pay them AND have them make more profit off of my own work!

f'em. I'll stand in line instead of self-check out. Besides, I check myself out all the time at home. Ain't doing it at the store. That's sick.

SicEmBaylor
7/24/2006, 08:42 PM
If y'all remember, you once upon a time got a price break for self-serve gas. Then, people pretty much only went to self-service stations. That's why finding a full-service station these days is like finding hens' teeth.

I ain't getting a price break for self-check out. It's all about mo' profit fo' da' man. So, I'm sticking it to the man!

I didn't want to work in a grocery store when they were paying me; I'm damn sure not going to work there so I can pay them AND have them make more profit off of my own work!

f'em. I'll stand in line instead of self-check out. Besides, I check myself out all the time at home. Ain't doing it at the store. That's sick.
I wish I were the man.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 10:00 PM
Sic Em sounds like a closet liberal

AllAboutThe'O'
7/24/2006, 10:10 PM
Call me old school but I would rather have a cashier check out my groceries, regardless of the wait in line. It's too much of a hassle for me to try to check out the numerous items of purchase and to sack my own groceries. Actually, that's more time-consuming than waiting to have a cashier check them out.