PDA

View Full Version : The new Padthai

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 01:37 PM
Anybody been since they remodeled? We went for lunch today. Very nice, and for $6.75 I got padthai, chicken curry, spicy beef, and a spring roll. Too much food. And it was GOOD!

They put little fountain thingies outside (no more seating out there) and they re-did the interior, and it's much cooler (guess they fixed the A/C too). They still have their little shrine to the emporer or whoever the hell the ugly dude is in the pic with the incense and the plate of food.

Anyhow, give it a try.

NormanPride
7/24/2006, 01:39 PM
The one in Norman? I loved that place.

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 01:40 PM
The one in Norman? I loved that place.

No, the one in Missoula, MT.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 01:42 PM
Where is that one? I've only been to the one on 89th and Penn

Howzit
7/24/2006, 01:43 PM

Oooh, that one rocks.

NormanPride
7/24/2006, 01:43 PM

Oh, okay. I haven't been to that one but I would find it hard to believe it's very good.

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 01:44 PM
Oh, okay. I haven't been to that one but I would find it hard to believe it's very good.

The best Chinese restaurant I've been to outside of Houston is in Wabasha, MN. Go figure.

NormanPride
7/24/2006, 01:46 PM
The best Chinese restaurant I've been to outside of Houston is in Wabasha, MN. Go figure.

I figure you're insane.

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 01:47 PM
We went for lunch today. Very nice, and for $6.75 I got padthai, chicken curry, spicy beef, and a spring roll.

Is that a lunch combo dealio?

Combo numba 69.

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 01:48 PM
I figure you're insane.

You ever been there, sparky? :texan:

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 01:50 PM
Is that a lunch combo dealio?

Combo numba 69.

It's on the wall. You get your choice of padthai/fried rice, curry chicken/some tofu ****, spicy beef/ginger chicken, and pork, veggie, or some other **** spring roll.

And the only Padthai is on the dang corner people.

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 01:56 PM
I go there occasionally. Tried to go just after they closed for the remodel (didn't know they were gonna be closed obviously). REALLY wanted thai food, so we went to the one on Jenkins across from the Greek house. Made us sick. Literally. Threw it up all night long. Won't have Thai for a while now, from anywhere.

yermom
7/24/2006, 01:57 PM
there is a bigger one with the same menu at 89th and Penn, and there is another one somewhere in Bricktown i think, but i haven't been there

they changed up the lunch thing, it looks like it's better

they also are open later and 7 days a week since the remodel (i think it's because they added a bar)

also seats more people now

the one in question is on Jenkins just South of the Fock, btw

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 01:59 PM
also seats more people now

I heard they doubled the seating capacity to 8.

Vaevictis
7/24/2006, 02:03 PM
I go there occasionally. Tried to go just after they closed for the remodel (didn't know they were gonna be closed obviously). REALLY wanted thai food, so we went to the one on Jenkins across from the Greek house. Made us sick. Literally. Threw it up all night long. Won't have Thai for a while now, from anywhere.

Thai Raja. The Pineapple Fried Rice there is awesome; the spring rolls are damned good. Otherwise, ho-hum.

OU4LIFE
7/24/2006, 02:05 PM
Oooh, that one rocks.

that's the original one.

IB4OU2
7/24/2006, 02:07 PM
I heard the stray cat problem in Norman is pretty much under control now...

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 02:08 PM

Houston? How about San Francisco, New York, Washington, DC, and about 25 other "china towns?"

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 02:08 PM
I heard the stray cat problem in Norman is pretty much under control now...

It is now. I'm so full I can barely breathe.

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 02:11 PM
How about San Francisco, New York, Washington, DC, and about 25 other "china towns?"

Never been, never been, never eaten at a Chinese restaurant there.

IB4OU2
7/24/2006, 02:17 PM
It is now. I'm so full I can barely breathe.

:D, The one we have up here is ok, the only problem I have is the Thai Lady owner pretty much attacks me everytime I go in there. WTF? So I haven't been in a while.

SoonerInKCMO
7/24/2006, 02:19 PM

OK, I'll bite... why on Earth would you be in Wabasha? Fishin' on Lake Pepin?

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 02:20 PM
OK, I'll bite... why on Earth would you be in Wabasha? Fishin' on Lake Pepin?

Family reunion kinda thing. Lake Pepin is about 15 miles north.

Czar Soonerov
7/24/2006, 02:20 PM
Anybody been since they remodeled? We went for lunch today. Very nice, and for $6.75 I got padthai, chicken curry, spicy beef, and a spring roll. Too much food. And it was GOOD!

They put little fountain thingies outside (no more seating out there) and they re-did the interior, and it's much cooler (guess they fixed the A/C too). They still have their little shrine to the emporer or whoever the hell the ugly dude is in the pic with the incense and the plate of food.

Anyhow, give it a try.

Didja see any fat, droopy, ugly tittays? (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66256)

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 02:28 PM
Dude, it was Thai. In Okeyhoma.

GDC
7/24/2006, 02:43 PM
spicy stir fry

Chuck Bao
7/24/2006, 03:48 PM
It's on the wall. You get your choice of padthai/fried rice, curry chicken/some tofu ****, spicy beef/ginger chicken, and pork, veggie, or some other **** spring roll.

My expectations are now so low, I'm thinking, if I try it there's a much better chance that I won't be so disappointed. Good! Thai food in Oklahoma! ;)

C&CDean
7/24/2006, 03:53 PM
My expectations are now so low, I'm thinking, if I try it there's a much better chance that I won't be so disappointed. Good! Thai food in Oklahoma! ;)

Dude, it's the best we've got to offer. I mean you ain't gonna get good carne asada tacos in Thailand. Or chicken fry. Verdad?

Taxman71
7/24/2006, 04:53 PM
Had Colorado Chili at Tarahumara's the other night. Good stuff and without all that worm juice they put in Thai and Chinese food.

Chuck Bao
7/24/2006, 05:24 PM
Heh! True dat!

I'm just thinking it's all good.

I'm also thinking about a trip to Norman during the Christmas break to see OU women's basketball and stopping by Padthai. It'd be a halfway taste for my family before they visit me next summer.

I do wish I'd get the chance to introduce you to real Thai food, Esarn food in particular. You'd like it!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/6/2006, 11:50 AM
Ok, so the PadThai in Norman is next to the Hookah Bar and International Grocery?

Is their hot and spicy soup with chicken in it good?

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 11:56 AM
Ok, so the PadThai in Norman is next to the Hookah Bar and International Grocery?

Is their hot and spicy soup with chicken in it good?
Don't know. Never had it. I went there Monday this week for lunch. Had Pad Thai, Masaman Chicken (curry), Mixed Veggies, and Chili Paste Pork. It was very good. I always eat off the lunch special so I don't usually try any of the other menu items.

Also, if you've never tried Thai tea, give it a whirl. Good stuff.

TexasLidig8r
12/6/2006, 12:04 PM
Been fighting a head cold for about 4 days now..

Pho for lunch today.. lots and lots with siracha sauce, the hot chili sauce.. gonna try to sweat it out of me.

OUAndy1807
12/6/2006, 12:05 PM
Don't know. Never had it. I went there Monday this week for lunch. Had Pad Thai, Masaman Chicken (curry), Mixed Veggies, and Chili Paste Pork. It was very good. I always eat off the lunch special so I don't usually try any of the other menu items.

Also, if you've never tried Thai tea, give it a whirl. Good stuff.
Is it the tea with tapioca balls and a big straw?

OUAndy1807
12/6/2006, 12:06 PM
anyone like Pho Sooner over by Greek House? I liked it the couple of times I tried it.

yermom
12/6/2006, 12:41 PM
Been fighting a head cold for about 4 days now..

Pho for lunch today.. lots and lots with siracha sauce, the hot chili sauce.. gonna try to sweat it out of me.

this is the Thai thread not, Vietnamese :mad:

same goes for you Andy :P

actually, i work with a guy who's family owns that place, i think it's really good

but i haven't had Pho in a lot of places

picasso
12/6/2006, 12:46 PM
we gonna need moe wax! an hold all my appointment!

NormanPride
12/6/2006, 12:52 PM
Is it the tea with tapioca balls and a big straw?

No, this is dark tea with cream and molasses. Deadly good.

Chuck Bao
12/6/2006, 01:06 PM
I love Vietnamese and Pho. And, the Pho restaurant in Bangkok is much, much better than the jungle food I had in Vietnam earlier this year. The only good part about that is their style of fajitas with rice paper and Japanese wasabi dip and their idea of serving beer with the most delicious crousants for breakfast.

Before I earn Yermom's ire, I'd better post about Paat Thai. Best food in the world and as good for breakfast and dinner as it is for lunch (noted correction of my earlier mistake). But today, I just had Paat Thai and fried mashed turnips with bean sprouts, for lunch.

I wasn't aware about Thai tea. I do know that there are some tea plantations in northern Thailand. I still think that the vast majority of tea consumed in Thailand is imported from India, Sri Lanka, China, Japan, etc.

I'm guessing that Dean's Thai tea is iced and with cream and sugar. I wouldn't think that the tapioca balls, which I think is a Taiwan invention, would be his thing.

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 01:07 PM
Don't be fooled, Dean likes balls of all kinds.

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 01:09 PM
I like tapioca, but I'll have to pass on the tapioca balls thing.

When I asked how they make the Thai tea he said "you have to first cooka da tea witha da sugar - you no can add sugar later - den you add half and half or cream." I've had it at many Thai restaurants and it's all pretty consistent. Actually does taste a little more like molasses than sugar, and it is greatness.

opksooner
12/6/2006, 01:25 PM
I asked at a Thai restaurant what the Paat Thai was flavored with as I just couldn't stop eating it even after I was full. (No news there.!) The waitress told me there's about a tablespoon of sugar in each portion. WOWEE!

So that was a "sugar high" that I was feeling later!!!!

I lubs me some Paat Thai.