PDA

View Full Version : Gyro

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 12:20 PM
I just ordered one of these from City Bites and pronounced it "yee-row." The guy in the drive thru paused and said "you mean jye-row?"

Sheesh. . .Greek people say yee-row.

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 12:22 PM
Sheesh. . .Greek people say yee-row.

I hear they also screw sheep in Greece, but I don't see anybody doing that in Oklahoma.

Wait a minute.... :eddie:

OhU1
7/24/2006, 12:32 PM
Yeah, it's Yee Row. I always get "corrected" when I order one.

Damn, wish I could have one right now. Thanks for nothing, I'm going to have my Hot Pocket and now.

Dio
7/24/2006, 12:35 PM
All the best hillbillies pronounce it "jye-ruh"

MamaMia
7/24/2006, 12:38 PM
I usually have a Gyro at the Texas State Fair. Gyros and beer, the breakfast of champions. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah, it's Yee Row. I always get "corrected" when I order one.

Damn, wish I could have one right now. Thanks for nothing, I'm going to have my Hot Pocket and now.Well the tzakiki (sp) sauce was kind of gross (mayo & cukes only), so I've had better. This really was a jyerow I guess.

IronSooner
7/24/2006, 12:49 PM
Why were you ordering a gyro at city bites in the first place?

Partial Qualifier
7/24/2006, 12:52 PM
I loves me some good gyros. my favorite is Pita Pit. Double-meat gyro w/spinach, tomatoes, sprouts, onions, olives, feta and the tzaziki.

Dude.

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 12:56 PM
Well the tzakiki (sp) sauce was kind of gross (mayo & cukes only), so I've had better. This really was a jyerow I guess.

Heh.

Mayo on a gyro sounds even more heinous than ranch dressing on Buffalo wings.

Partial Qualifier
7/24/2006, 12:58 PM
Heh.

Seriously. Peeps 'round here thinkin ranch = bleu cheese. It's not right.

OUDoc
7/24/2006, 12:59 PM
I loves me some good gyros. my favorite is Pita Pit. Double-meat gyro w/spinach, tomatoes, sprouts, onions, olives, feta and the tzaziki.

Dude.
You from California, boy?

;)

OhU1
7/24/2006, 01:01 PM
Sometimes getting proper ethnic food here is kind of like trying to get a chicken fried steak in New Jersey. I don't want some hill billy making my Moo Goo Gai Pan I want the real ****! Mayo on a Gyro, whoa.

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 01:04 PM
Sometimes getting proper ethnic food here is kind of like trying to get a chicken fried steak in New Jersey. I don't want some hill billy making my Moo Goo Gai Pan I want the real ****! Mayo on a Gyro, whoa.

Exactly.

I do not order chicken fried steak, Tex-Mex, or iced tea outside of Oklahoma and Texas. You're also taking your chances with Dr. Pepper.

King Crimson
7/24/2006, 01:05 PM
tsatziki=yogurt, dill, and cucumber.

IronSooner
7/24/2006, 01:09 PM
Heh.

Ranch never made anything worse.

However, mayo on a gyro is just plain wrong. There's a place here called Niro's Gyros that makes a pretty good one...loads you up on tzaziki, it's good eats. I tried eating 3 one time and it almost killed me.

OhU1
7/24/2006, 01:12 PM
You're also taking your chances with Dr. Pepper.

They even yankee-up Dr. Pepper?

yermom
7/24/2006, 01:13 PM
you people succ

the Greek House is closed for another week or so :mad:

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 01:18 PM

Yes. Most restaurants have never heard of it. I was amazed when a Burger King in NE Ohio had it, but the fountain mixture was way off and it tasted like Cherry Coke.

OhU1
7/24/2006, 01:19 PM
the Greek House is closed for another week or so :mad:

Greek House is great. House of Greek on the corner of Main and Porter closed years ago and was awesome.

Pizza Peddler in Noble makes some pretty good Gyros for a hillbilly pizza establishment.

mdklatt
Ranch never made anything worse.

Agree to disagree.

Ranch dressing succs.

Viking Kitten

Yes. The water up north makes it taste funky... so that's prolly why it just never caught on anywhere else.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 01:45 PM
Even sadder is that City Bites doesn't even use mayo but Miracle Whip, ugg. On a side note, the jye-rows at Arby's are good and they use real tzaziki. I have a good recipe for tzaziki at home that I will post.

Norm In Norman
7/24/2006, 01:54 PM
Well the tzakiki (sp) sauce was kind of gross (mayo & cukes only), so I've had better. This really was a jyerow I guess.
Well, mayo is white and sort of looks like yogurt, so they must be the same.

Norm In Norman
7/24/2006, 01:56 PM
tsatziki=yogurt, dill, and cucumber.
You are forgetting the garlic. it's not good unless it peels the paint off the walls.

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 01:58 PM
Why were you ordering a gyro at city bites in the first place?

word.

or anything else at City Bites for that matter.

OhU1
7/24/2006, 02:11 PM
or anything else at City Bites for that matter.

Traber pimps City Bites in his radio ads and loudly yells that I should trust him that everything there is GREAT!

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 02:17 PM
Traber pimps City Bites in his radio ads and loudly yells that I should trust him that everything there is GREAT!

Traber has obviously never been to a restaurant he didn't like. :eddie:

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 02:19 PM
Traber has obviously never been to a restaurant he didn't like. :eddie:

hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

LMAO

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 03:30 PM
Why were you ordering a gyro at city bites in the first place?Because it sounded good. Do you want me to mail you some City Bites this week as you finish Hell Week?

IronSooner
7/24/2006, 04:51 PM
Because it sounded good. Do you want me to mail you some City Bites this week as you finish Hell Week?

Next time they bring back the Tater Chick, yes. California Club wouldn't be bad, but no sprouts. For every sprout I find, I shall kill you. ;)

Taxman71
7/24/2006, 04:58 PM
I usually have a Gyro at the Texas State Fair. Gyros and beer, the breakfast of champions. :D

Been doing that for 15 years now (after the traditional Texas-shaped nachos to start things off). Best thing about the Gyros at the Texas State Fair and the Greek daughters who work behind the counter every year. For some reason, they always have the longest beer line.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 05:15 PM
Next time they bring back the Tater Chick, yes. California Club wouldn't be bad, but no sprouts. For every sprout I find, I shall kill you. ;)I wonder how I should ship it? Seriously. I bet that guac would be all over the box by the time it made it to Champilly. What about some CB cookies? I could totally send those to you. :)

Harry Beanbag
7/24/2006, 05:18 PM
Anybody else have My Big Fat Greek Restaurants in their area? The wife and I went to one out here over the weekend and it was Outstanding. I think it's a chain.

StoopTroup
7/24/2006, 06:52 PM
Jim's [never on Sunday] Coney Island at 19th and Harvard in Tulsa.

Real Greek Family.

Good Food IMO.

OCUDad
7/24/2006, 07:07 PM
There's a place here called Niro's GyrosSo is that pronounced "Neerows Yeerows," or "Nyerows Jyerows"?

hurricane'bone
7/24/2006, 07:26 PM

Real Greek Family.

Good Food IMO.

mmm....jim's.........

AlbqSooner
7/24/2006, 08:13 PM
Had a Greek girlfriend once that said yeee roh.

Then she made me stop doing it that way.

Tailwind
7/24/2006, 09:08 PM

Dude.
I'm with you there! Except I leave out the sprouts and spinache. Their Tzaziki rocks!

Zbird
7/24/2006, 09:29 PM

Real Greek Family.

Good Food IMO.

WORD!

Good Gyro's, (Correctly Pronounced YEAR-OHS) Good Souvlaki, and Baklava.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 09:56 PM
I bet if some of these places served spanakopita they'd just say "spinach thingies."