PDA

View Full Version : Registering for birthday gifts?

Hot Rod
7/24/2006, 09:49 AM
I got an invitation to a toddler's birthday party and on the invitation they put on there that they were registered at Pottery Barn for Kids. Is this something new? I kinda thought it was rude.

etouffee
7/24/2006, 09:51 AM
I got an invitation to a toddler's birthday party and on the invitation they put on there that they were registered at Pottery Barn for Kids. Is this something new? I kinda thought it was rude.maybe it's a new trend i haven't heard of, but it does seem a bit... something. If I got that invite, I'd buy a gift somewhere else.

Hot Rod
7/24/2006, 09:54 AM
I checked their registery online and they have $700 worth of items on there. I'm thinking a gift card to Wal-Mart is what I may give them now.

Czar Soonerov
For toddlers, I always buy the loudest most obnoxious toy I can can find.

etouffee
For toddlers, I always buy the loudest most obnoxious toy I can can find.it all comes back around.

Czar Soonerov
7/24/2006, 10:01 AM
Exactly, my brother is gonna pay dearly when he finally has a kid.

:pop:

Sooner in Tampa
7/24/2006, 10:01 AM
Pottery Barn wants the whole registering thing. Is the bd party there?? We had some friends who had a daughter who had her bd party there and they did the same thing. I can't remember why, but it is common with Pottery Barn.

Viking Kitten
7/24/2006, 10:02 AM
I got an invitation to a toddler's birthday party and on the invitation they put on there that they were registered at Pottery Barn for Kids. Is this something new? I kinda thought it was rude.

VK's $.02.

I've seen where stores are offering this as an option, but we've yet to recieve any party invitations where parents have included registry information. It's about the tackiest thing I've ever heard of. Registering for weddings is one thing (and you only get that pass once, IMO), but if people are letting their children demand and expect certain birthday presents, what they are really doing is training their kids to be spoiled, greedy, materialistic little brats. I'd ignore it on principle.

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 10:04 AM
what ever happened to birthday parties at the house, or the park, or for the really rich kids: McDonald's??

just more evidence that our society is failing fast.

if they would have had a pottery barn when i was growing up and I woulda asked to have the party there, I'd been beaten. not to mention made fun of by the other kids

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 10:05 AM
what ever happened to birthday parties at the house, or the park, or for the really rich kids: McDonald's??

just more evidence that our society is failing fast.

if they would have had a pottery barn when i was growing up and I woulda asked to have the party there, I'd been beaten. not to mention made fun of by the other kids

I think you need to re-read the first post a little slower. :D

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 10:11 AM
I think gift registries are awesome--takes out all the guesswork. No one's making you buy the little brat a gift.

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 10:12 AM
I think you need to re-read the first post a little slower. :D

I did. what'd I miss? :O

BajaOklahoma
7/24/2006, 10:25 AM
If I were a family member who really wanted to get something for the child that would be useful, appropriate or enjoyed, then I would like a registry to help me make a good choice. When I've bought my nieces and nephews gifts that had to be exchanged, I am embarassed that it didn't work out. So it was nice when they were old enough to like gift certificates and they culd get what they wanted.
But the registry announcement in the invitation is tacky and rude.

etouffee
7/24/2006, 10:30 AM
I think gift registries are awesome--takes out all the guesswork. meh. if you use a registry, you're not buying a gift, you're completing an assignment. i can tolerate wedding and baby registries, because in that case you're (often, not always) providing the couple with things they need, and you lower the chances of them receiving 10 coffeepots. But with a kid's bday party, there aren't "needs" involved, and I prefer to buy them something *I* think they might enjoy. Otherwise, you're just helping establish the precedent that the kid always gets exactly what he/she wants.

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 10:31 AM
meh. if you use a registry, you're not buying a gift, you're completing an assignment. i can tolerate wedding and baby registries, because in that case you're (often, not always) providing the couple with things they need, and you lower the chances of them receiving 10 coffeepots. But with a kid's bday party, there aren't "needs" involved, and I prefer to buy them something *I* think they might enjoy. Otherwise, you're just helping establish the precedent that the kid always gets exactly what he/she wants.

Good point.

etouffee
7/24/2006, 10:32 AM
If I were a family member who really wanted to get something for the child that would be useful, appropriate or enjoyed, then I would like a registry to help me make a good choice. If I find myself in that situation, I'll call the parents and say "I'm thinking about getting little Johnny X for his birthday. Do you think he would enjoy that? (or does he already have one?)" and if they say no, then I might ask for a suggestion.

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 10:34 AM
For toddlers, I always buy the loudest most obnoxious toy I can can find.

me too. and since I'm not having any rugrats, I don't have any worries.

Hot Rod
7/24/2006, 10:34 AM
If this helps on the registry they have asked for $150 quilt for her bed and a $130 personalized chair for her room.

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 10:37 AM
uh, NO

Partial Qualifier
7/24/2006, 10:41 AM
If this helps on the registry they have asked for $150 quilt for her bed and a $130 personalized chair for her room.

That's pretty presumptious. I mean, most stuff at Pottery Barn for Kids isn't exactly cheap. And toddler gifts generally are the least-used and least-appreciated gifts of all.

I'd echo TD2000's sentiment

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 10:41 AM

A personalized chair for a toddler? Isn't the kid going to outgrow it?

Who's the biggest ******?

The person who conceived of a $130 chair for a todller.
The parent who wants such a chair.
The parent who asks for the chair as gift.

MamaMia
7/24/2006, 10:42 AM
Whatever happened to just calling the mom to let her know that you or your child will or will not be able to make the party, and asking if they have a gift in mind in the 'whatever' price range, in an effort to cut down on duplications?

In this particular case I would just call Pottery Barn, charge a gift certificate for the child, which is equal to the amount I planned to spend, and have it sent to my house to take to the party.

...then I would put it in one of those surprise snake cans. ;)

etouffee
7/24/2006, 10:43 AM
go to kmart, buy an aluminum folding chair, write the kid's name on it with a marksalot. apply a 29cent red bow. YWIA.

TopDaugIn2000
7/24/2006, 10:47 AM
go to kmart, buy an aluminum folding chair, write the kid's name on it with a marksalot. apply a 29cent red bow. YWIA.

WORD

frankensooner
7/24/2006, 10:48 AM
My boy has one of those personalized Chairs in the Crimson and Cream to match his OU bedroom, and we did buy one for my neice when she was little, they do rawk, but they were only a hundred then. I can imagine a registry though.

BajaOklahoma
7/24/2006, 10:53 AM
If I find myself in that situation, I'll call the parents and say "I'm thinking about getting little Johnny X for his birthday. Do you think he would enjoy that? (or does he already have one?)" and if they say no, then I might ask for a suggestion.

But one of my s-i-l can't think of a thing when you ask her. She will say she'll call back, which she will do the day before the birthday. I am so tired of overnighting the gifts - it is not my neice or nephew's fault that mom doesn't have it together. In this case the registry would be nice. But only if it had a variety of chocies and price ranges.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/24/2006, 10:57 AM
My niece and nephew just had their birthday party together at Pump It Up in Norman. Most of their gifts were $5-$10 gift cards from Wal Mart or Toys R Us and they loved it. If I gave one of them a chair, they'd be totally uninterested.

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 10:57 AM
But one of my s-i-l can't think of a thing when you ask her. She will say she'll call back, which she will do the day before the birthday. I am so tired of overnighting the gifts - it is not my neice or nephew's fault that mom doesn't have it together. In this case the registry would be nice. But only if it had a variety of chocies and price ranges.

paddle ball
ant farm
BB gun

dolls
dress up stuff
anything with glitter

YWIA

slickdawg
7/24/2006, 11:00 AM
Go to a thrift shop and find the kid and the mom a toy.

YWIA.

colleyvillesooner
7/24/2006, 11:02 AM
I did. what'd I miss? :O

They are registered at Pottery Barn, the party isn't there.:)

Hamhock
7/24/2006, 11:08 AM
Pottery Barn wants the whole registering thing. Is the bd party there?? We had some friends who had a daughter who had her bd party there and they did the same thing. I can't remember why, but it is common with Pottery Barn.

So, you're saying that it is possible to have a birthday party there? And that if someone were to make a commentary that this is evidence of our society in decline, then someone might rely on this post, rather than the first post in the thread?

;)

:texan: