PDA

View Full Version : I might be getting a new jorb

1stTimeCaller
7/24/2006, 08:16 AM
I ran into an old buddy this weekend and he wants me to get into selling oilfield equipment. I'm gonna give it a serious look.

Mjcpr
7/24/2006, 08:17 AM
If this was drunk offer, don't quit your day job just yet.

OklahomaTuba
7/24/2006, 08:17 AM
Would be a good time to do that.

If Co2 injection gets more popular, I think that could take off big here in the sooner state. Lots of old fields!

1stTimeCaller
7/24/2006, 08:24 AM
If this was drunk offer, don't quit your day job just yet.

Nope. Sober as a well, something that is very sober. He also mentioned being a WMD, I think.

It sounded like something 68 does. Live in a 5th wheel on site two weeks at a time. We'll see. He's been with this company for about 5 years now and he makes some serious jack.

OUinFLA
7/24/2006, 08:24 AM
Im surprised it took this long.
Out of curiosity, what is the longest you have been employed?

I dont mean in a sexual act, Im not interested in "really" short time reports.
:D

1stTimeCaller
7/24/2006, 08:29 AM
Im surprised it took this long.
Out of curiosity, what is the longest you have been employed?

I dont mean in a sexual act, Im not interested in "really" short time reports.

By the same company? I've had a job since I was 14. I was employed by the OKARNG for 6 years, 11 months and 9 days. In Junior high and HS I worked for two different restaurants for two years each and after college I worked for one company for 2 years, one for 5 months and I've been here for 5 months.

I really like the company that I'm with and I like what I do but if I can make an extra $20,000/year why not? I make good money now and am happy with my salary but $20,000 is worth looking into.

OUinFLA
7/24/2006, 08:32 AM
I really like the company that I'm with and I like what I do but if I can make an extra $20,000/year why not? I make good money now and am happy with my salary but $20,000 is worth looking into.

That bears some serious thought on your part.

Scott D
7/24/2006, 08:56 AM
yeah, what if you decide you can't stand the other thing foo.

mdklatt
7/24/2006, 09:00 AM
I ran into an old buddy this weekend and he wants me to get into selling oilfield equipment. I'm gonna give it a serious look.

Before you make the jump, make sure you're better at selling oilfield equipment than you are at selling yourself to the ladies.

1stTimeCaller
7/24/2006, 09:03 AM
Before you make the jump, make sure you're better at selling oilfield equipment than you are at selling yourself to the ladies.

this company has a better product than I do:O

Scott D
7/24/2006, 09:04 AM
I don't think you could handle doing what 68 does....I mean you'd have to get a Mongo sidekick also ;)

Mjcpr
7/24/2006, 09:04 AM
Will you have innerweb access?

1stTimeCaller
7/24/2006, 09:05 AM
hopefully not

slickdawg
7/24/2006, 09:30 AM
Direct TV with HD Playboy Channel?

BajaOklahoma
7/24/2006, 09:43 AM
It sounded like something 68 does. Live in a 5th wheel on site two weeks at a time. We'll see. He's been with this company for about 5 years now and he makes some serious jack.

PM 68 about it.
It gets old being on the site, away from family and friends.

IB4OU2
7/24/2006, 09:48 AM
Good Grief! You change jobs like you change underwear.........wait, or maybe not.......:eek: ;)

OU4LIFE
7/24/2006, 09:50 AM
Pretty sure Picasso's family is in that business. Must be pretty good if you can afford to leech of people and fingerpaint.

good for you. What medium are you going into?

OU4LIFE
7/24/2006, 09:51 AM
I suggest playDoh. FWIW.

1stTimeCaller
7/24/2006, 09:51 AM
dirt. nudes from dirt.

OU4LIFE
7/24/2006, 10:49 AM
NIRT.

cause it sounds better than DUDES.

King Crimson
7/24/2006, 10:58 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72653

ahem, 1TC's.....first post.

BTW, yer old buddy KC will be employed at the University of Denver in Spring 2007.

OUinFLA
7/24/2006, 04:44 PM
this company has a better product than I do:O

You're refering to "drilling pipe" ?
:eek:

SoonerBorn68
7/25/2006, 01:32 AM
I don't think you could handle doing what 68 does....I mean you'd have to get a Mongo sidekick also ;)

PM 68 about it.
It gets old being on the site, away from family and friends.

1TC, lemme take a crack at this. I've been doing the MWD thing now for little over a year. I found out about 3 months ago that MWD actually stands for "Measured Wall Depth" & not "Movie Watchin' Dude". :D In your PM you had stated you might be wanting to do MWD.

I'll start by saying I wasn't happy doing the parts gig since I had been doing it for 12 or so years & was totally burned out. Any change was going to be better than what I was doing then.

The positives: Good money, booming business, not much stress, lots of "me time", travel

The negatives (in detail):
You're on call 24/7 & the phone could ring at any time. Calling in and asking what the schedule looks like makes no difference. I've been called out in the middle of the night, on holidays, & on weekends I thought I had clear.

Once you get the call you've got roughly 8 hours to make it to location. I'm in Lipscomb, TX at the moment & was called out on this job at 10:00 am the morning I got back from vacation. I made it here at about 5pm & have left location once for 6 hours in the 15 days I've been here.

Jobs time vary. I've been on jobs that have lasted 3 days all the way up to 65 & you're there 'til the job's done. 7 days a week. The rig I'm on now is 300 miles away from home & the closest store is 30. Needless to say it's good to buy about 2 weeks worth of food (& you better like what you bought) before you go out--which eats into your 8 hrs. The longest time between jobs was 25 days, the shortest, 1.

Lots and lots of personalities in this business. Right now I'm with a guy I can get along with, but a few months ago I was stuck for 33 days with a dude I wanted to strangle.

My family misses me & I miss them. In the three months I've been home about 15 days. It may seem like a lot of time off, but when the kids are growing it's tough. I talk to them on the phone & we have web cams set up so we can see each other, but it's tough answering "When will you be home Daddy?" about 10 times a week.

Better have a good DVD collection, satellite TV set up, video games, books, laptop, etc. Sometimes things are very slow & you've got to keep yourself entertained (& you'll be by yourself most of the time) or you'll go nuts. Internet is available most of the time but wandering aimlessly through cyberspace 6-8 hours a day will get boring--trust me. Oh, and make sure everything you need can fit into your truck. It's like moving every two to three weeks.

"You can sleep when you're dead". That's the MWD motto. There's been times where I'll get no sleep for the first 30 or so hours on location. Lots of things to do & set up. If there's problems you're going to fix it whenever it happens & however long it takes. The rig waits for no man. I was recently promoted to work single man jobs & when I'm out on those I routinely get about 4 hrs of sleep a day.

OK, that's a lot of downers, but it's not really that bad. I've adjusted to being on call & my family has adjusted too. It's really a good gig & I enjoy the hell out of it. I've seen sites, geography, & wildlife I've only read about in books. I finally have a job where I can save some money. I've gotten new toys that I can justify to my wife. :D Not everyone is cut out for this kind of life. I just want to let you know what you're in for. The rough necks & others have it much, much tougher out here than we do, but our task is time consuming & not many people are willing to be gone for extended periods of time. I do it hoping that one day soon we'll have saved enough to open our own business so when this oil boom is over we'll have something to fall back on & I won't have to go back to the dealerships.

olevetonahill
7/25/2006, 04:17 AM
Good post
the oil patch aint for wussies , I went to work for Haliburton in 73 - 74
They guarenteed me 60 hrs a week
After NOT seeing MY 3 month old son awake for 2 months I quit ;)
The shortest hr week I had was 120 :eek:

walkoffsooner
7/25/2006, 04:55 AM
I was in the oilfield for 18 years. It runs in cycles its up right now. But I have seen the time to get a hold of a driller you said hey waiter.

SoonerBorn68
7/25/2006, 05:05 AM
Hey, 1TC I forgot the living conditions. Right now I got it easy. I'm in a 32ft. super slide RV with dual air. The other day when it was 114, I woke up at about 4pm with the covers still on. :eek: Everything is great--this time. I've shared a 24ft, no slide, with a dude that was about 400lbs. He's the dude I wanted to strangle. We had to alternate our shifts & ended up having to use the same bed. That got old quick. I've stayed in trailers that have smelled so bad it would make you gag. Toilets that are broken, no hot water...or scalding hot water in the summer. I stayed in one that the floor was broken out & if you didn't watch your step you'd fall 3ft to the ground. Really, really fun stuff. I went to rig up another crew last week & his toilet had broken
off the floor. It smelled like hellish death throughout the whole trailer.

But like I said sometimes you get lucky. Everyone on location is jealous of my crib. :D

1stTimeCaller
7/25/2006, 08:35 AM
Hey, 1TC I forgot the living conditions. Right now I got it easy. I'm in a 32ft. super slide RV with dual air. The other day when it was 114, I woke up at about 4pm with the covers still on. :eek: Everything is great--this time. I've shared a 24ft, no slide, with a dude that was about 400lbs. He's the dude I wanted to strangle. We had to alternate our shifts & ended up having to use the same bed. That got old quick. I've stayed in trailers that have smelled so bad it would make you gag. Toilets that are broken, no hot water...or scalding hot water in the summer. I stayed in one that the floor was broken out & if you didn't watch your step you'd fall 3ft to the ground. Really, really fun stuff. I went to rig up another crew last week & his toilet had broken
off the floor. It smelled like hellish death throughout the whole trailer.

But like I said sometimes you get lucky. Everyone on location is jealous of my crib. :D

Thanks. This company pays you to buy your own trailer so that's cool. Thanks for the heads up on everything.

jk the sooner fan
7/25/2006, 08:39 AM
"the rig waits for no man"

o brother where art thou?

1stTimeCaller
7/25/2006, 10:19 AM
The more I think about this the more excited I'm getting. Living out of a 5th wheel is old hat for me. This time it looks as if I'll be able to afford something nicer than the 1987 model I lived in when I was in college.

OU4LIFE
7/26/2006, 05:33 AM
The more I think about this the more excited I'm getting. Living out of a 5th wheel is old hat for me.

and the chicks dig it. Nothing says stability and prosperity like a man living in a 5th wheel.

SoonerBorn68
7/26/2006, 07:33 AM
The more I think about this the more excited I'm getting. Living out of a 5th wheel is old hat for me. This time it looks as if I'll be able to afford something nicer than the 1987 model I lived in when I was in college.

Heh, after 20-30 days out you'll be more excited about getting home. :D

Thanks. This company pays you to buy your own trailer so that's cool. Thanks for the heads up on everything.

Mine does too but it puts me into a delimma. If I get a trailer I'll have to get a newer truck to pull it. I'm not sure if the old 200K F-250 is up to the task. So, a decent used trailer is about $10-15K & a newer truck is about $20K. I'm just not sure I want to go into debt $35K for $500 or so I'd get a month.

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 07:56 AM
and the chicks dig it. Nothing says stability and prosperity like a man living in a 5th wheel.

No doubt. Imagine being in college at OU and living in one. 365 days a year for three galdanged years. I heard some good ones from a few ladies on what turned out to be last dates when they found out I lived in one.

I'm not excited about living out of a trailer just about the job.

Hamhock
7/26/2006, 08:09 AM
No doubt. Imagine being in college at OU and living in one. 365 days a year for three galdanged years. I heard some good ones from a few ladies on what turned out to be last dates when they found out I lived in one.

I'm not excited about living out of a trailer just about the job.

when do you start?

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 08:16 AM
not sure yet.

Hamhock
7/26/2006, 08:22 AM
you should take up bow hunting/archery. Plenty of time to practice, something to do outside and you can take advantage of some of that fancy wildlife SB68 is talking about.

SoonerBorn68
7/26/2006, 09:06 AM
Unfortunately many locations don't allow weapons of any kind on site. That includes pocket knives. :eek: Besides, your truck has plenty of knock down power. :D

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 09:08 AM
hey 68, how many days per month on average are you on a rig?

Hamhock
7/26/2006, 09:18 AM
Unfortunately many locations don't allow weapons of any kind on site. That includes pocket knives. :eek: Besides, your truck has plenty of knock down power. :D

company policy?

SoonerBorn68
7/26/2006, 09:21 AM
So far this year I've averaged about 15 days per job. I've been on this one for 17 days so far. The shortest so far has been 3 & the longest 33.

SoonerBorn68
7/26/2006, 09:25 AM
company policy?
Our company policy states no firearms. Many of the rig & oil companies have banned pocket knives & if you're on their location you gotta play be their rules.

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 12:00 PM
They have my resume. My buddy just called and the MWD coordinator said that they had slowed down on hiring new MWDs but that he had my resume and was going over it.

Howzit
7/26/2006, 12:02 PM
That's HR-ese for **** no.

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 12:04 PM
That's HR-ese for **** no.

Oh well. Those weren't his exact words. They were along the lines of 'it depends' when my buddy asked if they were hiring.

Howzit
7/26/2006, 12:07 PM

Well, it's not like you're out of work and needing the job. You're in the driver's seat...

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 12:15 PM
the person that I sent my stuff to for the sales job relpied to my email 6 minutes after I sent it to her.

Thanks 1TC. I will try to give you a call next week.

Thank you, the person that wants to hire you

Names changed to protect the innocent. She's going on vacation starting tomorrow.

Hamhock
7/26/2006, 01:39 PM
how does this affect your school learnin'? Does TCCC have an extension in BFE?

1stTimeCaller
7/26/2006, 01:44 PM
how does this affect your school learnin'? Does TCCC have an extension in BFE?

school is over August 17th.

OUinFLA
7/26/2006, 05:29 PM
the person that I sent my stuff to for the sales job relpied to my email 6 minutes after I sent it to her.

Names changed to protect the innocent. She's going on vacation starting tomorrow.

Is she Hawt?

mdklatt
7/26/2006, 05:44 PM

She's achin' for your bacon, dude.

Scott D
7/26/2006, 05:44 PM
Why do companies hire people who have short shelf life on their jobs?

OCUDad
7/26/2006, 05:50 PM
You need to figure out real quick whether you're applying for a job as an MWD or a WMD. There's a huge difference. If they hire you as a WMD, they send you straight to Iraq. :rolleyes:

1stTimeCaller
7/27/2006, 09:15 AM

OK, I'll try to explain this to you the best I can. I have a degree in Construction Science from OU. Right now with construction booming in just about every large city in America there is a shortage of qualified people that can do what I do for a living. I'm good at what I do. I have increased my salary by over $1,000 per month by switching jobs twice. I didn't make chump change out of college. I don't know what you do for a living but I'm glad that you like it enough to stay there forever.

You either have a really kick *** job or you know deep down that if you lost it today you wouldn't have a chance in finding another that's just as good. I know that if I got fired right now that I would have another job just like this one by 5pm.

On my newest deal I didn't go looking for this job. I'm fine with the one that I have but this new job will pay me damn near double what I make now. It's also an entirely different industry. It might not work out but that's fine. I have a job right now that I like with a company that I like.

I'll ask the question. Why have you stayed at your job the length of time that you have? Are you not qualified or capable to get another that pays more? Do you make an insane amount of money? What is it that you do? What's your degree in?

OU4LIFE
7/27/2006, 09:21 AM
don't take that tone with me.

Mjcpr
7/27/2006, 09:23 AM
don't take that tone with me, Stanley.

Word.

Mee-owww!

1stTimeCaller
7/27/2006, 09:25 AM
I'm gonna go dunk on CP to make myself feel better.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/27/2006, 09:36 AM
I think he's sassin' us.

Yay, sass!

Skysooner
7/27/2006, 09:56 AM
I'll ask the question. Why have you stayed at your job the length of time that you have? Are you not qualified or capable to get another that pays more? Do you make an insane amount of money? What is it that you do? What's your degree in?

1 month so far. I just started. Eminently qualified and not capable of this time at getting a job that pays more (give me some experience time). Yes. Engineering management. BS Geology, MS Petroleum Engineering, MBA

1stTimeCaller
7/27/2006, 09:56 AM
I think he's sassin' us.

Yay, sass!

are you trying to say that I couldn't dunk on CP?

OU4LIFE
7/27/2006, 09:59 AM
are you trying to say that I couldn't dunk on CP?

If by CP you mean Ralph Sampson, then yes.

1stTimeCaller
7/27/2006, 10:06 AM
1 month so far. I just started. Eminently qualified and not capable of this time at getting a job that pays more (give me some experience time). Yes. Engineering management. BS Geology, MS Petroleum Engineering, MBA

look at the big brain on Brad!! I'm kidding. I was asking ScottD because he seems to have these witty comments in regards to my employment history and I'd like to know more about his so I can better understand where he is coming from.

I think when I'm done dunking on Courtney I'm gonna dunk on BSG and Pat. When the dunks are over I'm gonna slap Hairy. That's my lock of the week.

BlondeSoonerGirl
7/27/2006, 10:08 AM
I think when I'm done dunking on Courtney I'm gonna dunk on BSG...

You're gonna need more degrees, Funny Man...

:rcmad:

OU4LIFE
7/27/2006, 10:11 AM
the line forms to the left, behind Bruce.

1stTimeCaller
7/27/2006, 10:13 AM

Skysooner
7/27/2006, 10:30 AM
Heh

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
7/27/2006, 10:43 AM

it depends on the field. construction sounds a lot like consulting, up to a certain limit, they will pay through the nose for someone qualified that natively speaks english regardless of job history.

Scott D
7/27/2006, 02:46 PM
OK, I'll try to explain this to you the best I can. I have a degree in Construction Science from OU. Right now with construction booming in just about every large city in America there is a shortage of qualified people that can do what I do for a living. I'm good at what I do. I have increased my salary by over $1,000 per month by switching jobs twice. I didn't make chump change out of college. I don't know what you do for a living but I'm glad that you like it enough to stay there forever.

You either have a really kick *** job or you know deep down that if you lost it today you wouldn't have a chance in finding another that's just as good. I know that if I got fired right now that I would have another job just like this one by 5pm.

On my newest deal I didn't go looking for this job. I'm fine with the one that I have but this new job will pay me damn near double what I make now. It's also an entirely different industry. It might not work out but that's fine. I have a job right now that I like with a company that I like.

You misunderstood the intent of the question. I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning why companies bother investing anything in people that they won't be retaining. And actually, it's a matter that irks me in some degree that there are people who like yourself move from job to job to job because you can, because your field as you put it practically demands it, when it seems better for company stability to attempt to find ways to retain employees.

*shrug* I just have to assume in your case it's because your field can have the bottom fall out of it at any time, so it's essentially what the tech field was in the early 90s.

Oh, and where I'm at....you'd be thankful to have a job much less job hop.

1stTimeCaller
7/27/2006, 02:52 PM
You misunderstood the intent of the question. I wasn't questioning you, I was questioning why companies bother investing anything in people that they won't be retaining. And actually, it's a matter that irks me in some degree that there are people who like yourself move from job to job to job because you can, because your field as you put it practically demands it, when it seems better for company stability to attempt to find ways to retain employees.

*shrug* I just have to assume in your case it's because your field can have the bottom fall out of it at any time, so it's essentially what the tech field was in the early 90s.

I never thought of it that way in regards to the tech bubble but I guess it really is. There are folks in consrtuction that move around quite a bit and there are those that stay put for long periods. I think my situation is different because I figured out that I didn't want to live in Denver so I moved to FW and then got mad and found this job. I don't think of myself as a job jumper. Of course I think the things I do make sense but they might really not to anyone else.

When I started here I told myself that I had to put in 3 years minimum just for my resume's sake because at a certain point it will be hard for me to find a job if I keep moving every 6 months.